Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

TwoPair posted:

I feel like in that trailer the most unbelievable thing is still Vin Diesel and John Cena being brothers.

They're practically twins compared to how Jason Statham (53) and Vanessa Kirby (32) were siblings in the previous movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alfred Molina did an interview with Variety where he spilled a bunch of stuff about Spider-Man: No Way Home. I'm going to spoil this because it seems to reveal some information that I'm surprised Molina was allowed to talk about.

-Molina confirmed that he's the same Doc Ock as the one from Spider-Man 2, and said that he picks up right where the character 'died' in the movie.
-They are using the de-aging tech to make him look more like his 2004 self
-I'm not sure what to make of this quote but it raises a lot of questions-

quote:

When the actor asked Jon Watts, the director of “No Way Home,” how the movie would bring Doc Ock back — since, as he pointed out, “I died” — Molina said the director told him, “In this universe, no one really dies.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alfred-molina-spider-man-no-way-home-doc-ock-1234953527/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No one's ever really gone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's pretty neat.

I figured all these apperances by earlier Spider-Man characters would be part of some vision or some other easter egg sequence.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ngl I'm usually down for wacky crossovers but something about this has just killed my desire to see this movie

Let spider-Verse do the Spider-Verse thing you're absolutely not going to do it better

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm interested in this movie for the spectacle, but I'm a bit annoyed that it seems like it's trying to be Spider-Man versus the Sinister Six, but we're being robbed of THIS Spider-Man having a sinister six of his own villains. I don't really know what to make of this movie, I hope it's good, but I would like this movie to really be an actual Spider-Man movie instead of wrangling Spidey into just being a part of MCU shenanigans. We got a movie about him worrying about Iron Man's approval and a movie worrying about Iron Man's legacy, I'd really like a Spider-Man movie that's wholly about Spider-Man.

But if not, at least Spider-Verse 2 isn't too far away, I guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It just reads like a clusterfuck waiting to happen. I’d have a lot more faith in it working out if a) it wasn’t a Sony co-production and b) Far From Home hadn’t been so bland and forgettable aside from Mysterio himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, I would prefer if Spider-Man 3 was back in NYC, and they introduced Spider-Gwen, or even better silk, or better yet, both. Make it a smaller, like Homecoming lower stakes. Maybe use it to introduce the Maggia into the MCU, mobsters that use alien tech and super powered goons to commit crimes. I guess Sony wants to remind everyone that is too young to remember that there are 5 other spider-man movies they haven't see.

I honestly, cannot see someone who's never seen the Raimi Spider-Man movies wanting to go watch them now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

ngl I'm usually down for wacky crossovers but something about this has just killed my desire to see this movie

Let spider-Verse do the Spider-Verse thing you're absolutely not going to do it better

Feels like overdoing it that between this and the animated ones we will have three multiverse Spider-Man films.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

:hai:

I guess the idea is to just keep increasing spectacle but yeah I agree. After 2 Spider-Man films that were heavily about/influenced by other people (Iron Man/ the ghost of Iron Man & Skrull Nick Fury to a lesser extent) I'd honestly just like a movie with Peter Parker and a Spider-Man villain instead of a bunch of throwbacks stealing the show.

Plus like you said, the odds of them topping Spider-Verse are so so small.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Y'all are so self-hating. This poo poo sounds wild and awesome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Y'all are so self-hating. This poo poo sounds wild and awesome.

Nah. It sounds like a recipe for Sony to gently caress everything up.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. It sounds like a recipe for Sony to gently caress everything up.

It’s a leap of faith

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure why anyone thinks they have to do better or even as good as Into the Spider-Verse if they want to do something involving the multiverse. That's a pretty dumb line of thinking.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm a bit sad it's happening to be honest. There's still a shitload of interesting villains and stories they could do before resorting to multiverse stuff with other, older Spider-Man films. Feels a bit cheap.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If they had done it first film maybe it would be too soon but Tobey ain't gettin' any younger. Hold off for later and you're looking at a 50+ year old Spidey if Sony wants to do anything else even after this film with him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

If they had done it first film maybe it would be too soon but Tobey ain't gettin' any younger. Hold off for later and you're looking at a 50+ year old Spidey if Sony wants to do anything else even after this film with him.

Molina already said they're deaging him so it's not like age is really a barrier. Hell, Disney has shown that death itself is no longer a barrier to actors appearing in some roles.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is also probably the last Holland Spider-Man film, if I was to guess.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is also probably the last Holland Spider-Man film, if I was to guess.

I believe for his contract this is the last Spider-Man film and then he has another Marvel film, but obviously everyone is open to him returning for more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I have no idea what Holland's career ambitions are but assuming he doesn't hate playing Spider Man it seems like there's a ton of room for the character to mature and grow, he's set up to be one of the tentpoles and major stars of the MCU, being a superhero doesn't seem to typecast you any more or limit the roles you can get, and he could demand a small fortune in contract negotiations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't really have an overriding need to see Toby maguire spidey again tbh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holland said in an interview a couple months ago he loved them and he'd make 10 more Spider-Man movies if Marvel asked him to do it.

quote:

I'm very lucky that I look young and I can continue to play this 17-year-old web-slinger and I will do that for as long as they will have me. If they want me to make 10 Spider-Man movies, you better believe I will be there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No thank you, we're good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I will continue to watch all MCU Spider-Man man movies they make until they're bad. So far they've both been very good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Calling far from home very good might be giving it a bit too much credit

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi thread! Over the last few weeks I watched the entire MCU for the first time (other than Iron Man 1 and Avengers 1 which I saw in a theater because friends dragged me to them). Growing up I was always a DC kid, so I wasn't really that interested in them. I am interested in good TV though and Wandavision was intriguing and had tons of good reviews so I watched it. I loved it and decided to watch the movies and holy poo poo, did I miss out and some really good stuff. Watching all of them with no background in the comics/lore I went into kind of dreading a few of them because I just didn't think they'd be my cup of tea. Namely, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed the hell out of both Ant-Man films, but drat, was I completely wrong about Strange and Guardians. If you put a gun to my head and made me rank them all the MCU films worst to best my Top 3 would be 3 - Doctor Strange, 2 - Guardians, and 1- Guardians 2. Pretty crazy that the 3 I wanted to watch least wound up being my top 3 of the bunch. I know I'm late to the party but drat, both Guardians movies were astoundingly good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Calling far from home very good might be giving it a bit too much credit

I like far from home a lot. It's real fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

I don't really have an overriding need to see Toby maguire spidey again tbh

yeah "well it's now or never" isn't a compelling argument to me because I am more than fine with never

It reminds me of how people are just unable to let BTAS go so we still get Kevin Conroy playing Batman even though he's completely lost the voice because he's over 60 and sounds like if a bad stretch of road was a person.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi thread! Over the last few weeks I watched the entire MCU for the first time (other than Iron Man 1 and Avengers 1 which I saw in a theater because friends dragged me to them). Growing up I was always a DC kid, so I wasn't really that interested in them. I am interested in good TV though and Wandavision was intriguing and had tons of good reviews so I watched it. I loved it and decided to watch the movies and holy poo poo, did I miss out and some really good stuff. Watching all of them with no background in the comics/lore I went into kind of dreading a few of them because I just didn't think they'd be my cup of tea. Namely, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed the hell out of both Ant-Man films, but drat, was I completely wrong about Strange and Guardians. If you put a gun to my head and made me rank them all the MCU films worst to best my Top 3 would be 3 - Doctor Strange, 2 - Guardians, and 1- Guardians 2. Pretty crazy that the 3 I wanted to watch least wound up being my top 3 of the bunch. I know I'm late to the party but drat, both Guardians movies were astoundingly good.

Nice! I haven't gone through them all in one shot but my wife and I have been talking about doing that soon. Guardians was a big surprise to a lot of people. Feel like it would be near or at the top of most people's lists as well. I could watch that or Winter Soldier anytime.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am kinda uncomfortable with defending them, but it feels kind of like Sony is in a can't-please-them-all scenario with new live action Spider-Man movies. Make classic adventure styles and people will decry them as being rehashy, lean into the bigger universe and people will complain about them being unfocused and not Spidery enough; keep Peter around and everyone will ask where every other spider character is, bring in Miles and people will STILL ask that, plus ask why they're trying to steal Spider-Verse's thunder...

They're basically in the same position that the live action Batman people are in, except with a far better success/failure ratio, from where I stand. Probably just better to find someone with a passionate vision for the characters and let them do whatever they want (like Spider-Verse); but then again, these are live action superhero movies with a Marvel brand on them....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I am kinda uncomfortable with defending them, but it feels kind of like Sony is in a can't-please-them-all scenario with new live action Spider-Man movies. Make classic adventure styles and people will decry them as being rehashy, lean into the bigger universe and people will complain about them being unfocused and not Spidery enough; keep Peter around and everyone will ask where every other spider character is, bring in Miles and people will STILL ask that, plus ask why they're trying to steal Spider-Verse's thunder...

They're basically in the same position that the live action Batman people are in, except with a far better success/failure ratio, from where I stand. Probably just better to find someone with a passionate vision for the characters and let them do whatever they want (like Spider-Verse); but then again, these are live action superhero movies with a Marvel brand on them....

I don't recall anyone complaining about the idea of classic adventure stories. Like at all. The #1 complaint about recent Spider-Man movies is that they rush so hard into the universe that Spider-Man doesn't get a movie to himself, either because Amazing Spider-Man was loving desperate to create its own universe or because Holland Spider-Man is so inexorably tied to the MCU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah the number one complaint about Tom Holland's Spider-man was "too much Iron man, not enough Spider-man". Sure, some MCU diheard fans would be upset if there was no connectivity at all, but you don't have to lean in so hard that the movies are near-icomprehensible in isolation.

And people hated that scene in ASM where in Oscorp there's an entire wall of gizmos from Spider-man villains that might appear in a later film. Parts of ASM and ASM 2 really felt like they were in there specifically to please that one idiot in the leaked Sony emails who thought there should be 2 Spider-man movies a year because Spider-man movies make more money than all the non Spider-man movies so why are we even making those other ones?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

I believe for his contract this is the last Spider-Man film and then he has another Marvel film, but obviously everyone is open to him returning for more.

Marvel execs have said in the past, though, that their concept of Peter Parker for the MCU stresses being a high school student. And obviously the character and actor are getting older.

Who knows if that's still their thinking, but they've talked about that in the past as far as I know.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holland is too old to play Spider-Man. Spider-Man should always be in high school. No. A freshman in high school. Who skipped two grades because he's smart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't imagine they'd voluntarily recast Spider-Man and pull him out of continuity or something. The way the MCU is constructed the teenage super hero is gonna have to age out of high school. Unless you plan to kill him off and replace him with Miles or something, but why would you kill off one of your biggest characters just to keep to an idea that will inevitably run out one way or another? And you can still introduce Miles as a teen Spider-Man if you want while an older Peter Parker does some of that older stuff.

I'm sure the idea of "Peter as a high school" mattered to them. But not enough to kill him off or change the way the MCU works.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 17, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-man was in high school for like... less than 30 issues. I don't know why modern adaptations are so stuck on keeping him there. All those awful cartoons, these new movies, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Amazingly, spectacularly, it's because it's an easy way to get teens to identify with a character.

Astonishing, I know.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how long into ultimate spidey was peter in hs

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

how long into ultimate spidey was peter in hs

The comic? He died not long after turning 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was just thinking that bendis is the first writer in the special thanks in both movies so maybe they were leaning on ultimate harder than 616