Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Recasting is such a normal thing to do, even when it's not under tragic circumstances, I just can't wrap my head around the notion that Marvel would do anything else. I guess if he had created the character, or it had been created for him that would be one thing, but neither of those being the case, you recast the part and dedicate the sequel to him, probably right after the Marvel Studios graphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Recasting the lead in a sequel is usually not received well. At all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like we're like 10 years away tops from having to reset the entire universe because everyone is too old,

I'm going to make the bold prediction that as long as Feige is running the show that's not going to happen, and as actors age out new characters will take their place. There's plenty of characters available to them that they don't need to go back to Steve or Tony.

That being said, this is all predicated on Feige still running things, and I think it's a very open question if he's still in charge of Marvel Studios in ten year's time. The man has only made Marvel movies just about and at some point you have to think he wants another challenge.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

site posted:

Personally I think there are 3 perfectly good women already introduced in bp1 that could fill the role just fine instead of recasting

Angela Bassett, of course, but which of the other three do you mean for the last two spots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

I'm going to make the bold prediction that as long as Feige is running the show that's not going to happen, and as actors age out new characters will take their place. There's plenty of characters available to them that they don't need to go back to Steve or Tony.

That being said, this is all predicated on Feige still running things, and I think it's a very open question if he's still in charge of Marvel Studios in ten year's time. The man has only made Marvel movies just about and at some point you have to think he wants another challenge.

Like I said, my personal theory is that Loki, WandaVision, and Doctor Strange (and maybe in time Deadpool/X-Men) are all specifically designed to introduce the idea of the multiverse and that Black Widow, Falcon/WinterSolder, Thor, and Hawkeye will introduce the idea of successors. So yeah, I don't think they'll reset the MCU unless box offices start to struggle. But I don't think they'll just recast new Tony Starks and Steve Rogers either. I think they'll either do new characters under the same hero monikers or introduce alternative reality versions.

I can't think of too many cases of major actors/stars being recast and it working out well. Even without the complications involved in respecting the deceased.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Coming at it from another angle, I wouldn't want to be the actor they tapped to replace Boseman. Even if whoever it is has the express blessing of Boseman's family, there's no way to come out of that intact.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think making Shuri BP would be fine... for like BP 3, but I'd argue it would be more hosed up to just have T'Challa die offscreen before BP2 starts than it would to just recast. Boseman made the role and it will be an incredibly tough act to follow, but the character of T'Challa deserves to have a proper end.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I was going to post something about how by the time BP2 comes out, Nyong'o would be old enough as an actress to convincingly take on the mantle of the Black Panther from her Boseman. However, when I went to look her up on Wikipedia I found out that she's 37. :eyepop: I honestly believed she was closer to her teens than her thirties, and I was under the impression that the character of Shuri was supposed to be a teen genius. Same with Chadwick Boseman, actually. I thought he was in his thirties. Maybe Wakandan de-aging technology is real.

Either way, I think it makes perfect sense for Shuri to become the next Black Panther.

Roth posted:

Inspired by the death of his beloved friend, CIA Agent Everett Ross takes on the mantle of being the Black Panther

I think it could be funny if they did this as a joke scene. Ross travels to Wakanda to offer his services at the new Black Panther, only for them to brush him off because they've already taken care of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dan Didio posted:

Angela Bassett, of course, but which of the other three do you mean for the last two spots.

Shuri
Nakia
Okoye

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think you can tell a really effective story about how death and sickness is sudden and tragic and hits everyone. And how as you grieve and your world is changed forever everything else just has to keep moving. Wakanda needs a leader and Black Panther. And if Shuri doesn't step up because she can't who does? Nakia? Okoye? M'baku? Does some new villain rise to challenge? Or does one attempt to take advantage of Wakanda while its lost and in mourning?

That would be a different kind of MCU film but it also could be made into a MCU film. And I think it would honor Boseman and ease people into "moving on" when Shuri or whoever takes up the mantle.

And then, yeah maybe in the process they decide a government system built on princes having battles to the death can be improved upon.

JordanKai posted:

I was going to post something about how by the time BP2 comes out, Nyong'o would be old enough as an actress to convincingly take on the mantle of the Black Panther from her Boseman. However, when I went to look her up on Wikipedia I found out that she's 37. :eyepop: I honestly believed she was closer to her teens than her thirties, and I was under the impression that the character of Shuri was supposed to be a teen genius. Same with Chadwick Boseman, actually. I thought he was in his thirties. Maybe Wakandan de-aging technology is real.

Either way, I think it makes perfect sense for Shuri to become the next Black Panther.
I think you're confusing Letitia Wright who played Shuri, T'Challa's teen sister, and is 26 with Lupita Nyong'o who played Nakia, T'Challa's love interest, who is 37.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

I was going to post something about how by the time BP2 comes out, Nyong'o would be old enough as an actress to convincingly take on the mantle of the Black Panther from her brother. However, when I went to look her up on Wikipedia I found out that she's 37. :eyepop: I honestly believed she was closer to her teens than her thirties, and I was under the impression that the character of Shuri was supposed to be a teen genius.

Uhhh... Shuri wasn’t played by Lupita Nyong’o, she was played by Letitia Wright, who’s a lot younger.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

You're both right. I'm a dummy. :(

e: In my defense, I saw someone else make the same mistake on Twitter. That's where the confusion came from.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 30, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shuri's meant to be about 20 in Black Panther.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Personally, I'd rather see Shuri take up the mantle than have him be recast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JordanKai posted:

You're both right. I'm a dummy. :(

e: In my defense, I saw someone else make the same mistake on Twitter. That's where the confusion came from.

Well I kinda think Nyong'o/Nakia would make a better option. She's a great actress who could kill in a starring role, I think Shuri has a defined character I like on her own as does Okoye, and Nakia was basically presented to us as T'Challa's match who was pushing him to be better and who wanted to be more than a queen. So I think a story where Shuri is being pushed into taking up the crown and BP mantle with questions of whether she's ready or fit and ultimately decides to lead a reformation of the government and give the mantle to a deserving hero could really work.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 30, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Again I say: I don't want to see a sequel to Black Panther where the main character is not in it. This isn't like comics where we had years and years of stories and the mantle can be passed, we had 1 movie where there was a solid arc that had an ending that lent itself very obviously to further exploration of this central character. Having him die offscreen and having someone else take up the mantle would be absurd in a movie that's meant to be a direct sequel. They can have that happen in the background of an Avengers movie or something, and then after that maybe give this new Panther their own movie. But Black Panther 2 (not featuring Black Panther) would be as interesting as Spider-man Home Again: Spider-man Does Not Appear In This Film.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If someone takes the mantle of black panther then the black panther would be in the movie?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they did a good enough job establishing Wakanda and its cast that you can tell an effective "Black Panther" story without T'Challa. Its not a choice I'd make under different circumstances but I don't think its any better to just deal with this as a side story in someone else's movie. And that's without factoring into the cultural significance of the film and role.

I'm also not sure what's fundamentally different from a new Black Panther being found/crowned in the movie as any origin movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah unlike Spider-Man it's built into the very premise that black panther is just a title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

Recasting is such a normal thing to do, even when it's not under tragic circumstances, I just can't wrap my head around the notion that Marvel would do anything else. I guess if he had created the character, or it had been created for him that would be one thing, but neither of those being the case, you recast the part and dedicate the sequel to him, probably right after the Marvel Studios graphic.

Recasting is a thing that happens but usually not right away especially for a lead character. I honestly am hard pressed to think of a case where a lead actor died tragically between movies and they just recast them that wasn't a complete lovely clusterfuck like the Bruce Lee stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing I've been able to come up with is the Spartacus TV show and that's just a totally different level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Recasting is a thing that happens but usually not right away especially for a lead character. I honestly am hard pressed to think of a case where a lead actor died tragically between movies and they just recast them that wasn't a complete lovely clusterfuck like the Bruce Lee stuff.

Dumbledore I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Dumbledore I guess.

That is a good example actually, though still not one people seemed very fond of.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that's also probably a little different in that the whole Harry Potter series was built on following the set story which Dumbledore played a significant role in. There's T'Challa stories fans want to see, but he's not required for stories already in play. You CAN continue without him whether its a good idea or not.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm still kinda aghast at the cgi Princess Leia with Carrie Fisher soundboard in TROS.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like a lot of people here are vastly overestimating the extent to which the general moviegoing audience are clamoring to see Princess Shuri as the Black Panther, and underestimating the extent to which King T'Challa -- specifically T'Challa the character -- resonated with the many many fans of the film.

Shuri's a great fan-favorite, but she's never been the main character of the franchise. Even her being Black Panther in the comics was a temporary thing that eventually got walked back so T'Challa could do the thing again. The fact that the Black Panther is a title means about as much as the fact that Batman is a title; T'Challa is still the character who made the title what it was, and yeah it feels silly to cut his story short.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get Don Cheadle to play T'Challa and have him in lots of scenes with War Machine who only appears in his armor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think anyone's suggesting people are "clamoring" for Shuri to take up the mantle. Its a tragic circumstance and some people just think it would be very uncomfortable to pretend it didn't happen, recast the character and continue as if nothing happened, and ignore the obvious options on the table in 3 black women being viable replacements.

The MCU's gonna go on with or without T'Challa and as we await the arrival of The Eternals and Shang Chi I'm not sure its really a question of whether Shuri is a big enough draw as a comic character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think they won't make new Black Panther movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If it were Ant-Man or Black Widow I'd be inclined to agree. But Black Panther was such a culturally significant film and boon to Marvel/Disney that I can't see them just pushing all of Wakanda to the side.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, nothing's "right away". It's gonna be 2 years at least before BP 2, barring any more delays (which, clearly this will cause no matter how they proceed, plus you know, there's still kind of a pandemic going on) and production hasn't started at all. Let's not pretend this is some last minute change of an otherwise finished movie and that only Boseman's scenes will be refilmed, or that it'll Carrie Fisher things and change the story and write around some existing footage. If and when (I hope) they recast, presumably it'll be well done.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah realistically if there is a BP2 its probably like Phase 5 now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My question I guess, is why would recasting the role be pretending it didn't happen or continuing as if nothing happened? Why must giving another actor the opportunity to continue Boseman's work be disrespectful to the man? I feel like we've somehow settled on this idea that having a different T'Challa must necessarily be an incredibly cruel thing to do in light of Boseman's death, but why is that the case?

(Also keeping in mind: it's not like the existing prospective female characters suddenly get cut from the franchise or something. They're all still exactly as important to the story as they were before now.)

More importantly...why should a real person's death be reflected in a fictional context? How does that honor him?

And I don't think there are any right answers to these questions right now. It's all just personal impulses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

If it were Ant-Man or Black Widow I'd be inclined to agree. But Black Panther was such a culturally significant film and boon to Marvel/Disney that I can't see them just pushing all of Wakanda to the side.

Yeah but the narrative of the movie rested so heavily on T'Challa. There's no good way to go forward without him in a direct sequel, and immediately recasting him would feel crass and weird. The solution they'll probably go with is feature Wakanda prominently in a non-Black Panther movie, where they'll address what happened to him and who will take up the mantle, if anyone. Kinda like what they've been doing with Hulk, where he's still around doing stuff but he no longer gets his own movies.

And I'm sorry Shuri fans, but I think M'Baku is like 100 times more likely to be the next Black Panther because he's by far the fan favorite of that movie after T'Challa and Killmonger, and he has as much claim to it by the rules of the movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that's why I'm Team Nakia. She's none of the obvious names but she's the actual Wakandan spy who also happens to be played by Lupita Nyong'o who is more than qualified to be a kick rear end lead to make sure Wakanda and the representation it was celebrated for doesn't get pushed to side characters in the MCU.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really don't see a scene in which mbaku beats the crap out of Shuri to take the mantle of BP from her winning over audiences tbh. Plus that's just retreading ground from bp1

^^^ it would be interesting if they split BP off into the protector role with Nakia as BP while Shuri is thrust into taking over as queen

site fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 30, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I think my first instinct is to have Shuri pressured to take up both roles and then deciding (a) there's a better Black Panther and (b) there's a better way to decide Wakanda's future and she's gonna spearhead it but not as a ruler.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If Marvel-Disney decide that they want to go forward with Shuri, you'll see a hundred thousand articles headlined 'Here's why Shuri is the next Black Panther' with images from the comic attached and their marketing will go into overdrive on it so things like 'fan favourite' and 'people wouldn't understand it' won't matter at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly, I'm not sure which they should go in Black Panther 2. While T'Challa as a character is absolutely important both in and out of universe, at the same time that seems intrinsically tied to Boseman's own performance and I think it'd be extremely difficult to handle recasting him. It'd be like recasting RDJ or Evans, only with the addition of the cultural cachet that he represented on top of that.

In other news, it kind of turns out there's a shitload of racism in New Mutants?
https://twitter.com/dianandonna/status/1299793644107554817?s=20
(It's a thread).

Apparently Storm was supposed to be the villain at one point, too. How did this movie even come to be? I get it's like a time capsule of when it was made, but that was only like 4 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There's lot's of good arguments about Recasting versus Continuing on with new characters.

My gut instinct is Marvel will take the cowards way out and go with none of them.

Instead they'll just buy time by setting Black Panther 2 in the timeframe after Infinity War but before Endgame. You've got most of the cast of Wakanda still alive, but canonically T'Challa is dead at this point.

Then if they want to setup Shuri as the next Black Panther, they can sow the seeds for it here.

Alternatively, they go full Face/Off and say that T'Challa is in a horrible accident and they have to take Killmonger's face and put it on his body. Now T'Challa is played by Michael B. Jordan and everyone pretends to be cool with it.