Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

A speedster is never going to work in a live action movie as anything other than a supporting character. I think it's impossible to do, the same way I don't think they ever could make a compelling Hulk solo movie. Some superheroes are good at rounding out a universe but are just uncompelling when pushed front and centre.

Yeah, I know the counterpoint is decades of solo Flash/Hulk comic books, but I could never get into reading those either.

Pushing all their chips in for a Batman or Superman who went rogue would at least make sense, but for The Flash?

There are like 8 seasons of a Flash TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think there’s a practical reason why Flash’s villains are so regularly speedsters who he can fight at the same speed. Or that most of his stories are a lot of build and mystery and drama to a fairly lackluster finale (or a team up with other heroes). I do agree that it’s hard to do a lot with a speedster when their powers are being fast enough no one else is moving and not some kind of fighting or whatever.

But you can still build a good story with a speedster. It may not deliver the same things other hero stories do but there’s room. Just gotta do it right. And not cast a cult leader.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Super Dan posted:

There are like 8 seasons of a Flash TV show.

And in every one of them he has to be reminded his power is to be fast.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Anerdsays/status/1542840384166006784https://twitter.com/Sela_Say/status/1426642318065549312https://twitter.com/Mr_mansuuR/status/1464107444649570305

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 19, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it sucks, but also The Flash was never good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What is going on with the Flash TV show? Does everyone have super speed powers? And why are there people with full-body white khaki uniforms throwing lightning bolts?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If I recall the Godspeed plot in the comics had everyone get flash powers for a while. Then a bunch of people got killed and or lost their powers and Godspeed did evil flash stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll see if i can find a clip but in the new cyberpunk anime there a scene where it goes in slowmo to do all the super speed stuff and it plays out all the way, but then it cuts backwards and you see the whole thing from a third party's perspective and it all happens in like 2 second it's pretty neat.

dunno how you could sustain that for a whole movie but it works

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is going on with the Flash TV show? Does everyone have super speed powers? And why are there people with full-body white khaki uniforms throwing lightning bolts?

That scene is specifically gathering all the Speedsters (most are from the future) to fight a future incursion of mass produced Godspeeds.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MacheteZombie posted:

Her last update was about how she worked with a lawyer a ton to make sure it falls under parody fair use, but we all know which side courts tend to fall on.

...The side of parody fair-use? Like there's a reason it even exists as a thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hoo boy. I'll try and recap where we are as of the end of the previous season, but I'll have to go back probably two seasons

The Flash is powered by the Speed Force, which takes on the appearance of Barry's dead mom, Nora (not to be confused with his future daughter, Nora, nor Mr. Freeze's suspended animation wife, Nora)

At some point Flash get's infected with Mega Depression and ends up killing the speed force out of grief. Or she sacrifices herself to save him. IDK

But it's a comic book show so they undo that somehow

But being dead makes the Speed Force (which is not just a force of nature as the name implies, but a persona with hopes and wants) kind of crazy and evil so it goes "bad"

At the same time, we are introduced to the Slow Force, Strength Force and Mind Force, who are all minor villains, similarly personified. At the end of that story line, those three forces team up with Flash against Speed Force to convince her to not be so drat evil.

Then, there was a 5-6 part crossover to open this latest season where Reverse Flash went back in time loving with Flash, making him go crazy, and eventually swapping lives/places with Barry. Iris did something, which de-powered Reverse Flash, but also gave her a vague Time Sickness, causing her to phase and in out of this dimension. Blah, blah, blah, it was actually caused by evil versions of the above forces, that split off from the good versions. They (the bad forces) combine their powers to re-power a recently de-powered Reverse Flash. Yadda yadda, the good forces Care Bear Stare Barry so he's "leveled up" and powerful enough to stop Reverse Flash once and for all.

Everyone having superspeed was the end of a prior season where Godspeed splits off into multiple copies, which group up into two warring factions because some McGuffin is going to grant someone Godhood. That's why all the guys in white jumpsuits are fighting each other. So there we get a team up of Flash, Jay Garrick, Excess (Future Daughter Nora), Impulse (Future Son Bart), Iris (who doesn't normally get superspeed, but it's happened at least twice), and Speed Force/Nora in the third clip. Oh and the long haired woman? She's a meta, who mimics the powers of other metas, but she doesn't know that yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CzarChasm posted:

At some point Flash get's infected with Mega Depression and ends up killing the speed force out of grief. Or she sacrifices herself to save him. IDK
Didn't the Speed Force die because Barry dragged the Spectre into it during Crisis?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

I'll see if i can find a clip but in the new cyberpunk anime there a scene where it goes in slowmo to do all the super speed stuff and it plays out all the way, but then it cuts backwards and you see the whole thing from a third party's perspective and it all happens in like 2 second it's pretty neat.

Yeah that's kind of how they handled the Quicksilver scenes in the X-Men movies, which were really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GFyZ5LREQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZqB5Z75zI

Literally the only good part of Apocalypse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

Dredd did this also iirc

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I love posts that goes "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THESE 2 MINUTES OF TELEVISION????" posts and the answer is:
the 100+ episodes of television around it?

Also, Power Rangers and tokusatsu rule. A lot of the CW is a much more soapier take on that type of tv and it's entirely appropriate!
It can be silly and corny, but it's also good fun! Not everything needs to be a prestige drama!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Speedforce means you can make anything out of speed. Ninja stars? Sure. Lightsabers? Go ahead. Bazookas? Be my guest.

Medullah posted:

Literally the only good part of Apocalypse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXF0xy7DVJg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That poo poo looks really bad to me lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did Geoff Johns write that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I still say Makkari in Eternals had a great way to show off super speed. The fight against Ikaris was pretty good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

yeah the quicksilver scenes were great. putting up what i was talking about before i forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va-2iDT3hGI

(sa needs to learn to parse imgur videos)

site fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 19, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Opopanax posted:

For all its flaws, Man of Steel had probably the best super speed fighting. The X-men movies also showed how they can be fun set pieces

For all its flaws, Eternals beats both of those for absolute best super speed fighting. Makkari gets a minute where she's going fast enough to be "oh holy poo poo" levels of power, but still slow enough that the viewer can parse the action in amongst regular speed dudes. I defy even the most "that movie sucks" viewer to deny how great that scene is. I do dig the X-Men scenes, but it's a universe breaking gimmick that requires them putting the character on a bus so the rest of the film can happen without them solving everything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The X-Men scenes also rely on them showing the fast character be fast by... slowing them down. It's fun, but it gets old quick and you lose the sense of actual speed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

I still say Makkari in Eternals had a great way to show off super speed. The fight against Ikaris was pretty good.
Yes too bad she's in the movie for maybe 10 minutes total

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Makkari is actually a really well done version of super speed, but it is even less than 10 minutes. I found a supercut of every time she used her power and it is 3 minutes and 27 seconds long, lol.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

she's very fast

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Goldmine please.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

site posted:

yeah the quicksilver scenes were great. putting up what i was talking about before i forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va-2iDT3hGI

(sa needs to learn to parse imgur videos)
SA can parse imgur videos, you just need to paste the url to the video itself like such:

code:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/PAuQ7Rq.mp4[/url]
And voila!

https://i.imgur.com/PAuQ7Rq.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 20, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I watched the first few seasons of The Flash, I do not recall it looking that bad. How did it get worse? I don't understand.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Joe Fisto posted:

I watched the first few seasons of The Flash, I do not recall it looking that bad. How did it get worse? I don't understand.

Budgets go down and salaries go up the longer a show is on, gotta cut something

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think why a lot of people think a speedster can't do a movie is because for years they've seen certain moments in comics/TV/movies where a speedster does something absolutely batshit and it's like "well okay if the Flash can go so fast he can reverse time literally nothing outside of another speedster should ever threaten him again". But those are just individual moments.

I'm sure an actual good writer(s) can make a decent movie centering around a speedster if it's actually about them and not just trying to write around the last greatest feat on screen.

Yannick_B posted:

I love posts that goes "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THESE 2 MINUTES OF TELEVISION????" posts and the answer is:
the 100+ episodes of television around it?

Also, Power Rangers and tokusatsu rule. A lot of the CW is a much more soapier take on that type of tv and it's entirely appropriate!
It can be silly and corny, but it's also good fun! Not everything needs to be a prestige drama!

This guy gets it... that said yes Flash has sucked since season 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

F.D. Signifier posted:

SA can parse imgur videos, you just need to paste the url to the video itself like such:

code:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/PAuQ7Rq.mp4[/url]
And voila!

https://i.imgur.com/PAuQ7Rq.mp4

well, good to know but also i really wish the video tag worked because I'm totally gonna forget that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
wait I really need someone to explain how speed…(?)sabers work

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It came out of nowhere in the episode where it happened so there isn't a good explanation other than the writers were getting bored with doing the same old thing and decided to change it up for a season finale.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Speed force" has been DC's version of "a wizard did it" for well over a decade

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Opopanax posted:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

oh man I totally forgot about those things

I loved them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Futurama did super speed the best. So good in fact that X-Men/Quicksilver ripped it off

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Doesn't Barry use it to wipe Godspeed's mind at the end of that season? Somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

muscles like this! posted:

It came out of nowhere in the episode where it happened so there isn't a good explanation other than the writers were getting bored with doing the same old thing and decided to change it up for a season finale.

They should have made speed force Tron bikes so they don't have to run around all the time like chumps.