Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Somewhat related:

Westworld and all the other major HBO/Discovery streaming shows that were cut are going to be on Roku's new ad-supported streaming service and Tubi. Everything "major" that gets cut from Hbo Max/Discovery+/whatever the new merged service will be called is going to end up on those two places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

why would ttg Robin be Tim but then all the other titans are the og team

I hate that I've kept this from you for so long but here goes... *calming breath*

I've never really known much about the Teen Titans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
don't feel bad I've never read a single issue of any version of the Titans

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want a DickBats and Damien movie so bad, but I also in no way, shape, form, or concept want it to happen right now with this current WB/DC situation.

I think I would literally pay money to prevent it from happening.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

starting the bat family with Damien as Robin means that dick, todd, Jason, babs, Stephanie, and cass are already active in this universe right?

right??

It loving better

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Madkal posted:

edit: Thinking about it they need to make a Grayson movie like Spiderverse/No Way Home which features Teen Titans Go Robin, Batman and Robin's Robin, Batman TAS's Robin, Batman 65's Robin, original Teen Titan's cartoon Robin, Titans Live Action's Robin/Nightwing etc.

You get a taste of this in Teen Tians Go! vs. Teen Titans.

Also we at least know for sure that Teen Titans Robin isn't Jason Todd from that Red X episode where Beast Boy pulls down the conspiracy theory chart.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Boy, with all those shows it would sure be handy if DC had their own streaming service

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Slight correction: Watched it again and he says "Batgirl was unreleaseable" and not "unwatchable."

Doesn't really change what he was saying, though.

Where is this video with Safran? I only see the Gunn announcement video

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Opopanax posted:

Boy, with all those shows it would sure be handy if DC had their own streaming service

i look forward to watching all this on Disney+

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Most of this DC stuff sounds pretty bad to me. If they are introducing Damien I hope it means that all the other Batfam characters are already established. Taking the worst version of Supergirl and making a movie about her is bleh.

Also lol at saying the Flash is the greatest superhero movie ever. Yeah I'm sure this thing that was supposed to be out what, two years ago, and has had extensive reshoots with a criminal lead actor is simply amazing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just give me Jenny Sparks electrocuting God's brain in IMAX, that's all I ask.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll take all the garbage for a good live action Booster Gold.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Part of what he was saying had me curious, he went out of his way to call out Teen Titans Go! as an Elseworlds property, along with Joker 2, etc. Makes me wonder if stuff like Inhumans, MODOK, and the Netflix stuff wasn't more of an internal pain in the rear end at Marvel than we've previous heard, leaving him wanting to get ahead of it early.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

James Gunn with the galaxy brain idea that Grant Morrison books are good inspiration for Batman and Superman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

James Gunn with the galaxy brain idea that Grant Morrison books are good inspiration for Batman and Superman.

I mean they are though

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This all, every bit of it, sounds phenomenal to me and even if it was mostly garbage it would be worth it for getting a Creature Commandos cartoon. Finally, Frankenstein will get his due.

Codependent Poster posted:

Most of this DC stuff sounds pretty bad to me. If they are introducing Damien I hope it means that all the other Batfam characters are already established. Taking the worst version of Supergirl and making a movie about her is bleh.
Gunn made a comment about Bruce not knowing about Damien for the first 8-10 years of his life, so I'm going to unquestionably bet that the movie will take place with a Batman who has an established batfamily and will probably use it to explore his failed/estranged relationships with them so they can be spun off into their own features.

Several projects were being developed before this reboot and they've been tweaked and retooled for this, so I anticipate the Nightwing movie that's been in development hell for a decade will go down this avenue to finally get made/used with some changes.

Open Marriage Night posted:

As someone who was about to drop DC again when I discovered Morrison's Batman run a couple trades in after everyone told me it sucked, I am over the moon that this is the basis for the new direction, personally.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Let it be Keaton with a full Bat family and he can pass the torch to Dick

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Let me share my thoughts on how these movies will suck based solely on the short pitches we got. I am good at movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you're in the right thread then

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

you're in the right thread then

Creature Commandos - Cartoons are for babies and incels. PASS.

Waller - A woman lead character? WOKE much DC?

Superman Legacy - If Superman doesn't kill people he's a weak pussy.

Lanterns - This one will be good, cops are awesome. BACK THE BLUE

The Authority - I heard there are gays on this team. MORE WOKE CRAP.

Paradise Lost - If I get to see some lesbian titties, I'm down. It better not be some feminist garbage.

The Brave and the Bold - I like a batman that FUCKS. I don't like kids though.

Booster Gold - The hell kinda superhero is named booster? CRAP.

Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow - More woke feminist nonsense. Zack Snyder is rolling in his grave.

I give Gunn's DC slate an F!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ronin1138 posted:

Where is this video with Safran? I only see the Gunn announcement video

I haven't seen one either, no idea. what he presumably actually means is one of the articles quoting Safran

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean they are though

It was a joke. Batman and Son and All Star Superman are perfect choices.

Maybe Frank Miller’s influence on Batman can rest a while.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeah, it was a video of someone livestreaming the Gunn video and the transcript from the press event yesterday.

This was the full quote from Safran:

quote:

I saw the movie. There are a lot of incredibly talented people in front of and behind the camera in that film, but that was not releasable. It happens sometimes. I think Zaslav and the team made a bold and courageous decision to cancel it, because it would have hurt DC and those people involved. I spoke to Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah last week — we’d love to be in business with all of them. Christina Hodson wrote it, and we’re already back in business with her. I think it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision by shelving it. It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace. It was built for the small screen. And so again, you know, I think that it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision. Batgirl is inevitably a character we’ll include in our story.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There was also some reporting that they were "teasing" Aquaman 3, but the transcript looks a lot less clear.

quote:

Gunn: Jason will not play two characters.

Safran: It’s too early to say. Jason always thought Aquaman was a trilogy in his own mind, but he also loves Lobo. He’s been very clear about that too. He’s never going to play two characters…

Gunn: …but we’ll figure it out after Aquaman 2.

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

Codependent Poster posted:

Also lol at saying the Flash is the greatest superhero movie ever. Yeah I'm sure this thing that was supposed to be out what, two years ago, and has had extensive reshoots with a criminal lead actor is simply amazing.

The Flash was announced in 2016 and literally every talented person quit within 6 months of signing on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ronin1138 posted:

The Flash was announced in 2016 and literally every talented person quit within 6 months of signing on.

Which instance of quitting are you referring to, because I'm pretty sure this happened at least twice

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Arist posted:

Which instance of quitting are you referring to, because I'm pretty sure this happened at least twice

I wanted to look this up again because the Flash's movie history has always been insanely funny to me. This is JUST directors, not even getting into cast or writers (or Ezra themselves . . .):

October 2014: Flash formally announced
April 2015: Lord and Miller possibly directing since they were writing the initial script
October 2015: Seth Grahame-Smith announced to direct, leaves the following April
June 2016: Rick Famuyiwa announced to direct, leaves the following October
*largely on hold due to Fantastic Beasts filming*
March 2018: John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein announced to direct, leave in July 2019
November 2019: Andy Muschietti announced to direct

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Oh man I hope they make Arthur Currey into Lobo. Like keep Momoa as Aquaman but all of a sudden Aquaman decides to become a galactic bounty hunter codename Lobo. Wouldn't even need to change his personality from the first Aquaman movie

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cael posted:

I wanted to look this up again because the Flash's movie history has always been insanely funny to me. This is JUST directors, not even getting into cast or writers (or Ezra themselves . . .):

October 2014: Flash formally announced
April 2015: Lord and Miller possibly directing since they were writing the initial script
October 2015: Seth Grahame-Smith announced to direct, leaves the following April
June 2016: Rick Famuyiwa announced to direct, leaves the following October
*largely on hold due to Fantastic Beasts filming*
March 2018: John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein announced to direct, leave in July 2019
November 2019: Andy Muschietti announced to direct
Is The Flash the most cursed comic book superhero movie production ever?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

F.D. Signifier posted:

Is The Flash the most cursed comic book superhero movie production ever?

The Crow killed Brandon Lee, but maybe yeah

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit
The weird thing about the flash is Geoff johns and WB wanted it to be about Flashpoint from the get go. Famuyiwa Is the only one who wanted to go in a different direction and have it be more of a crime detective story where flash has to stop Captain Cold. If flashpoint must be adapted it should be like the third or fourth film not right out of the gate lmao.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Here's one thing I don't think I saw anyone else bring up

I like the concept of "Elseworlds" Movies. I might actually love the concept.

I have a great idea for a Batman movie, but it doesn't fit in with the larger DCU continuity. Well, OK, we like the story, and think it will be profitable, here's a sack with a big $ on it. Go make that movie and do your best. In the meantime, mainline Batman, aka the one we care about, is going to be over here pushing the overall narrative.

And that's a great idea. Until, Elseworlds Batman is more popular or profitable than the mainline one. Then what are you going to do?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A Crisis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CzarChasm posted:

And that's a great idea. Until, Elseworlds Batman is more popular or profitable than the mainline one. Then what are you going to do?

cancel the batfleck movie, give reeves a sequel and then reboot Batman again it looks like

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CzarChasm posted:

Here's one thing I don't think I saw anyone else bring up

I like the concept of "Elseworlds" Movies. I might actually love the concept.

I have a great idea for a Batman movie, but it doesn't fit in with the larger DCU continuity. Well, OK, we like the story, and think it will be profitable, here's a sack with a big $ on it. Go make that movie and do your best. In the meantime, mainline Batman, aka the one we care about, is going to be over here pushing the overall narrative.

As it stands now, I feel like the "Elseworlds" projects are the ones that they should be focusing on more but it's almost a disservice to label them that since it's almost a promise they won't 'lead anywhere' in the end. The MCU established the idea of a shared movie universe so firmly that they seem absolutely desperate to get the DC one set up and have done that at the expense of creating enjoyable movies. From a planning standpoint I would rather they invert the focus of a mainline continuity and the Elseworlds movies and just say, "yeah, we're going to release a lot of different movies that focus on being good movies about interesting characters. But we'll also eventually be coming out with a line of movies that cross over and build up to some cool comic events."

By not labeling them Elseworlds specifically, they could also leave themselves open to incorporating whatever they wanted. If you want the Reeves Batman to be the Batman you use in your Justice League movie down the road, you can do that. But it seems to be much better for movie making to make something like The Batman the way it was done without any pretenses of tying in to a bigger universe or storyline. I realize this might be a little confusing for an audience that has been trained to connect everything into the same continuity and, probably more importantly, totally stalls out the massive hype engine that is at the heart of these franchises since you're not constantly promising how you're gonna smash your toys together next.

I do trust Gunn to have good ideas about the direction to take things, but I kinda wish the plan was a little more taking a deep breath and thinking about things than this full steam ahead into dozens of projects. But that's probably why I am not a good businessman.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It will be nearly 3 years from the start of the project to when the first reboot movie comes out. I wouldn't exactly say they are rushing it out the door.

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit
It’s funny on Twitter that Dan Jurgens, JM deMatteis, and Tom King are all commenting in a positive way about yesterdays news and giving alittle bit of history of their creations and on the other side Bryan Hitch is complaining no one consulted him for permission to make an Authority movie. What a diva

Ronin1138 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 1, 2023

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ronin1138 posted:

It’s funny on Twitter that Dan Jurgens, JM deMatteis, and Tom King are all commenting in a positive way about yesterdays news and giving alittle bit of history of their creations and on the other side Bryan Hitch is complaining no one consulted him Thor permission to make an Authority movie. What a diva

To be fair, Tom King is literally helping write the movie based on his creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

glitchwraith posted:

To be fair, Tom King is literally helping write the movie based on his creation.

True though Tom King has been involved with the film division prior to Gunns hiring. He was working on a New Gods film that Zaslav cancelled and I think there was another project as well.

We don’t know what extent Jurgens and DeMatteis are involved. They may serve as creative consultants.