Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
what the gently caress is up with this goddamn year :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know he was more than just an MCU actor, but I was really looking forward to him taking a larger role in that post-Endgame post-Cap/Tony universe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lobok posted:

I thought the thread title was going to be a joke reference to some weird-rear end post...

There's never a good cancer but that one seems especially harsh. drat. Just really shocking and sad news. What a loss.

A friend’s dad died from colon cancer back in April after fighting it for a couple years and it’s just awful.

gently caress cancer, man :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This wrecked me

https://twitter.com/stjude/status/1040003392444264464?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, the Paul Walker stuff in F7 looked so bad and awkward that I couldn’t help but laugh.

Between that and how Carrie Fisher got shafted in TRoS, I’d rather they just deal with Chadwick’s death offscreen somehow and start the movie afterward with Shuri or whoever having to deal with taking up the mantle and not having him around for guidance anymore.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

:sickos:

oh no whatever you do please don’t burn down dc’s leadership in an attempt to smear an actor just to save the mighty reputations of Geoff Johns and Joss Whedon

that would be just terrible

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

No I wish I wasn't here right now since I also live in a state where the government has refused to take any real action against the virus, even the most minimal ones

Whatup, fellow “my state is actively trying to kill us” bud

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s rarely ever the fault of the kids though. It’s the horrible loving parents who use their kid’s talent and don’t give a poo poo about what it does to them.

The worst example in recent memory is the Stranger Things girl being manipulated into feeling incredibly guilty for not taking a dozen roles each year because her entire deadbeat family uses her as their sole source of income.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Oh poo poo, I forgot Monica Rambeau was going to be in this somehow. Happy to see Kitty Forman again too, but for some reason my brain short-circuited and I thought the bearded guy in that scene was Paul Bartel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly there's confirmation that two characters from Black Widow are indeed in Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the show won't drop until after the film now for sure.

Goddamnit, give me SamCap already :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney is reportedly making a Nick Fury Disney+ Marvel show for the streaming service. Speculation in the article is that this could involve him and SWORD, which was teased at the end of Spider-Man Far From Home.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nick-fury-marvel-disney-plus-series-in-development-with-samuel-l-jackson

That lines up nicely with the apparent SWORD hints we’ll be getting in WandaVision and TF&TWS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe I’m just making assumptions, but I think a lot of the anti-theater sentiment comes from only having access to giant chain multiplexes, which do genuinely suck. Small theaters are the best, the kind of little independent and small chain places that do midnight showings of old flicks and oddities that you’d never see in an AMC or Cinemark. Before the pandemic my friends and I would go to the theater on a weekly basis and I miss it dearly. There’s nothing like seeing a good movie on a big screen with a good audience and VOD will never be able to replicate or replace that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I remember liking John DiMaggio’s Joker in Under the Red Hood, even though the rest of that movie is incredibly dull and uninteresting just like every Red Hood thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Even without the groupie rumors, Leto seems like a complete chore just to be around based on how he treats his co-stars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Zack Snyder, defying every guild rule, nobly directing a major franchise product for an exclusive streaming platform, refusing any payment out of the goodness of his heart.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Suddenly I give a poo poo about Moon Knight

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I think Iron Man 2 benefits/suffers from being the big "world builder" entry. Its the movie where the MCU really started to expand into what its become and back then I think its incredibly cool to see Black Widow and Fury and War Machine and everything else, but 10 years later after so many MCU films and teamups that's really not that special and its a bit of a less impressive standalone piece.

Thor I think has a bit of the same but I think its more of its own film.

I still remember what a crazy novelty it was to see Cap’s shield appear for like half a second in IM2. All the Phase 1 movies still have this unique quirkiness to me because they were clearly still figuring things out and hadn’t yet reached that fine-tuned assembly line feel of the later phases. I’d almost call it nostalgia if the movies weren’t barely a decade old.

They’re never going to recapture that “holy poo poo they’re actually doing it” feel of getting all these characters together in one movie, although Endgame definitely came close.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Lotta white guys worried Renner is on his way out.

Renner is the best audience surrogate for “completely forgettable and generic white dude” after all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More Hawkeye news

https://twitter.com/joeotterson/status/1334596015123361792?s=21

Dalton was so good in Better Call Saul, I’m hyped.

I am suddenly extremely excited about a Hawkeye character I’ve never heard of. That’s how genuinely great Dalton was on BCS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

site posted:

If you look at her tl she never actually stood down from it she just cycles between "I'm just asking questions" and "I'm not mad I'm actually laughing about getting cancelled"

The Gina Carano Maneuver

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Are we sure that Raimi is only directing Doctor Strange 2?
:thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to think Toby-man is gonna have some dumb 90s Avengers thing so, like, Brad Pitt Thor and Tom Cruise Iron Man.

Garfield will be like "hey can I add you to my Instafeed? NBD right bro?"

“You spider-bros ever done that tough mudder? It’s totes amazing!”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still think the best way to do an MCU F4 movie is to start with them doing Super Science! in the 60s, then their big experiment sends them forward in time to the current MCU so you get that Space Age optimism mixed with fish out of water/man out of time stuff.

Ideally you’d just skip the entire origin ala Homecoming, but I doubt they’ll pass up the opportunity given the public reception of every previous F4 movie incarnation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lobok posted:

If you're gonna cast for the Fantastic Four why not use a successful foursome team of actors with proven chemistry?

They even come with a bonus Mole Man.

Rickety Cricket as The Thing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

It's also weird that they didn't force the Disco crew into future uniforms.

Given the ridiculous measures taken to even make those dumb uniforms I doubt they’ll ever be replaced.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Good point. Didn't rhe costume designer say he designed them just to irritate future cosplayers?

That, plus the incredibly dumb “we have to make them out of this one particular fabric only made by a single company in Switzerland, even though it’s contributing to production delays” aspect.

Although lmao that they just re-dyed a bunch of them and removed the little Delta panels to make the Pike Enterprise uniforms last season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

According to first responders he made an excellent one

:captainpop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m Cage’d out. Just like Goldblum and Bill Murray, the Internet turned him into a meme and now he’s extremely overused.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

JordanKai posted:

The role of Beast is reserved for Dolph Lundgren so long as someone else is occupying the role of Cable, IMO.

Colossus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aquaman is the Monster Energy drink of superhero movies and I have equal amounts of respect and contempt for it being so intensely dumb and obnoxious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I swear I’ve heard the big swelling dramatic music that plays after Diana renounces her wish and flies for the first time before. Like, many times before. As in they just stuck some stock trailer music in as a temp score and never went back and swapped it out before release.

I’m all for streaming services putting these exclusive releases out while covid is still a thing and theaters are inherently dangerous places to be, but uh maybe double check your final cut before rushing it out just to get those Christmas vacation subscriptions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think part of it is also him wanting to be a big successful man because he thinks it’ll earn his son’s love, but like everything else about his motivation it’s very underbaked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the setting seemed like a complete afterthought once the Steve clothing montage was over. Even the Soviet stuff didn’t feel like an exclusively 80s thing, as weird as that sounds. You could have subbed any mention of Soviets or Russia for some other country and the last act would have played out pretty much the same.

Go big or don’t bother. Pump your movie full of New Wave and use actual Reagan as a war-hungry piece of poo poo instead of some knockoff that isn’t even named in dialogue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Barry Convex posted:

sounds to me like this is being rushed into production so that it can wrap before filming starts on Rogue Squadron, hope I’m wrong

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1343258833309691904?s=21

Serious question, what does DC even have on their future slate besides this, The Batman, and Shazam 2? I’m assuming an Aquaman 2 is also probably likely, along with whatever movie Harley Quinn will inevitably show up in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Shazam is a legit great superhero movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Alhazred posted:

It's honestly weird how DC is unable to make good movies about characters that isn't Batman related.

I will not stand for this continued Shazam erasure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I fell asleep for like five minutes right after Lord strong-armed Not-Reagan and I don’t think I missed anything of importance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hope KeatonBats is still unhinged and weirdly aggressive. BatFleck was just... dull.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SonicRulez posted:

Captain America was my favorite Avenger and I was bummed that Endgame was his swansong before he ever got to meet Daredevil or Wolverine, so I'm happy to have him back in any capacity :shobon:

I guess my favorite is Thor now. I really liked "Let's kill him properly this time."

Cap will always be my favorite, but Scott and Thor are close seconds. I think TF&TWS has a real chance of being Sam's big breakthrough too, since he'll no longer just be Cap's support.

I want to like Dr Strange so much, but Cumberbatch is just kind of okay and I keep wanting him to go full Dr Orpheus with it. He does still have one of the best MCU costumes, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So uh, WandaVision is pretty drat great so far. I would 100% watch Bettany and Olsen just do an actual Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched revival. I never cared about either character in any of the movies, but I’m real interested in where this show goes now.

So Wanda’s definitely being held in some kind of SWORD facility and at least a few of the “sitcom” characters are SWORD agents, yeah? We already know one of them just from casting, but I’m sure there are others. Dottie seems too obvious, my money’s on her being some kind of AI or representation of the program/device doing all this to Wanda. I know nothing about the comic version of SWORD though, so maybe I’m way off.