Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo. That's just... gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I only saw the first Amazing Spider-Man, and I liked it well enough, but I have to admit that as I left the theatre, I was like, "all those character scenes were the same scenes in the first Raimi movie." From the awkward dinner on down, it seemed like they recycled all of them. It was weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

I used to live in a little town with not much to do, with a great one-screen indie theater. I used to go to the matinee every day after work just for something to do, I got such an education in art-house cinema. It was actually the movie theater that was used for the scene in The Blob where everybody is running out in terror, so every Summer they had a "Blob-fest" to commemorate it (it was that small of a town) and I really fondly remember being caught off-guard one year on a date when we exited into the lobby and were met by a dozen or so entrants into the Steve McQueen look-alike contest. Later on I volunteered there a bunch and I learned so, so much about this and that.

I loved that place to the max and I'm happy to discover just now that it's still doing well and has expanded a little and is doing a bunch of virtual screenings and things. I love movie theaters.

That's awesome! I volunteered at a theatre like that before COVID, and I love it. I think they're doing ok enough, they're also doing virtual screenings, but I miss going in and actually helping out and all that. I should probably throw them a couple bucks, but I'm not making any money any more, unfortunately.

I miss my little theatre. Great people, great place.

Edit: by "like that" I do mean, like that. Very similar in layout and everything.

Also, The Blob rocks.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 6, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I will not stand for this Romero erasure! :argh:

I'm sorry, but 1966 is a bit past modern now.

Besides, everyone already knows Romero's the best.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I had this toy as a kid and it got a lot of play because for some reason his weapon was attached to him so he was like one of the only guys who still had his original weapon so he got to fight the TMNT a lot. So I guess I fundamentally accept that he's supposed to be ugly and weird looking with a bunch of illogical spikes.

My knowledge of Steppenwolf is entirely Kirby (I don't think he's shown up in any of the other cosmic DC I've read at least), so it's weird seeing how he's developed (or not seen, as I said, I've missed basically everything between Kirby and now, so I look, somewhat baffled, between the Kirby version and the version in Justice League).

It's also weird because yeah, Kirby did bring him back to life in "Even Gods Must Die!" but I still think of him as "that guy that died in the flashback issue."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I actually think I haven't seen anyone really tackle how much this stuff would gently caress people up psychologically. We'd have cults, conspiracies, terrorists, militias, everything. People would lose their absolute poo poo if aliens and mermen started showing up wrecking poo poo. People's entire grasps of reality would be flipped eight ways to Sunday. That's part of what I liked about that Alex Jones teaser at the end of Brightburn. I wanna see the movie where people lose their minds about superheroes. Movies touch on it a little but never dive in with how crazy it would really get.

I mean... you're basically describing a comic universe there.

Certainly explains why they're so busy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I love how this conversation turned into exactly the kind of thing the person who started it was complaining about.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I had a whole thing written up, but I think the issue isn't the content, BrianWilly's right in that there's plenty to unpack about how Hollywood portrays foreign countries and the people who live there, especially in action-adventure movies (and I think we've had that conversation in this thread before...? It's not a bad topic for this thread at all), but in the timing, coming in during a discussion about how it sucks to have people calling you a piece of poo poo just because you enjoy superhero movies even if you can see problematic elements within them, and then turning the conversation (unintentionally it seems, looking back at it), into just that. BrianWilly's a generally good poster I feel, I understand exactly where they're coming from, but because of where the discussion was previously people were already primed to not appreciate the turn in conversation topic.

Zack Snyder's assistant runs in, holding a prestige format comic book. "Zack. Zack! I picked up Batman: Damned #1 and I've got an idea!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

He was always bad Green Arrow.

I think this means you have to fight Kurt Busiek now (based entirely on JLA/Avengers, I get the impression he's a Hawkeye guy).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I quite enjoyed Cowboys & Aliens, but honestly I like westerns, alien invasions, and the mixing of both, and it's not really something that comes around often. And honestly, give me a fun movie and I'm very willing to forgive it for being dumb or bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Turns out it's a miniseries of four four-hour episodes. Who'd've guessed?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lobok posted:

I have not. Haven't read many of the big DC events, really.

It was an Elseworlds miniseries rather than a big event. I actually didn't love it as much as most others, but it's interesting and has some excellent moments.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

And Prometheus is underrated. Its a million times better than Covenant. Now that was a shitshow.

I quite liked Prometheus, and I enjoyed Covenant but walking out I knew that I was going to hate the third movie. God, I was completely done with the David storyline.

Something about the way that picture of the Joker is blurred makes it look like he's balding with long hair to me. Reminds me of old Joker from that storyline in Morrison's JLA.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Any fight involving Captain America gets my vote. They managed to really sell him being incredibly strong and punting guys through the air, making it seem effortless while at the same time giving everything really nice weight and momentum. Nothing feels floaty or on wires.

I really think the Russos could make an amazing Batman film, seeing Cap in the beginning of Civil War I felt like all he needed was the cape and they'd about have it.

Roth posted:

I thought it was sick when Batman kicked a dude into another dude holding a grenade and continued on fighting while the grenade blew up in the background.

Don't worry, it tasered them out of the way before it blew up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Wait what the gently caress? THAT'S what that syringe was about? I thought it was supposed to be related to Inara having an illness and she was debating whether or not to take her injection or if she should allow herself to die before the Reavers got a hold of her.

Yeah... I liked Firefly but since things have gone on, the more I feel like maybe it only getting one season ended up being a good thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Jamesman posted:

That and Adam Baldwin being a huge piece of poo poo.

Firefly is a show with a good deal of flaws, and it's entirely possible those flaws would become too hard to ignore if the show continued. But maybe, just maybe they could have had some Chinese people show up in Season 2.

Yyyep.

FilthyImp posted:

Remember JOSS WHEDON'S WONDER WOMAN

I remember everyone being baffled at how bad the costume was mostly.

Dawgstar posted:

One is amazed Joss didn't try to bone the script paper right then and there.

I'm getting real "Frank Miller's script for All-Star Batman and Robin" vibes here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cael posted:

I would rather watch Age of Extinction 10 times over end to end than see a minute of Revenge of the Fallen when Skids and Mudflap are on screen.

I saw the first Transformers movie (on DVD well after release) and passed on all the others, and I'd heard about them but it wasn't until I actually saw them in a clip recently that I realised just how bad they were. How in the goddamn gently caress did that poo poo make it through the development process?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wait, they cut that scene? I was under the impression that was one of the most important ones, the one scene where Rorschach allows his humanity to show through and he does the decent thing, despite that being antithetical to his Objectivist, black and white world-view, and the one scene where he allows himself weakness and a momentary shade of grey. It's foreshadowing to his later confrontation with Doctor Manhattan in Antarctica, and arguably foreshadowing his own death.

Edit: I've only seen the end of Watchmen, from about reaching Antarctica to the credits, so I'm not super sure how close or not the earlier sections are to the source material.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MoaM posted:

That is the weirdest corporate nitpick I've heard, tbh

I was gonna say, it's not that different, I wouldn't be taken out of the movie by that.

FilthyImp posted:

I never got that from that sequence. He identifies with the kid crying and is sickened by seeing a younger version of himself. So he de-escalates and retreats so he can don his persona again.

That's kinda the point I was making, he identifies with another human being and de-escalates, which is not something he would normally willingly do. He's been so apart for so long that it requires seeing himself in someone else to decide, "no, I don't need to do this." It's a shattering rebuke on his personal world-view that I think flows really well into his final scenes.

But then again, maybe I'm reading more into that than was intended.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

?? Rorschach dies in Antarctica because of his absolutist Objectivism, which arguably is the more decent and humane stance in that moment. not sure how it is foreshadowed by this scene

Well, take his opening diary entry and his discussions with his therapist after his capture and there is a definite strain of grim misanthropy. He has set himself apart from humanity, is barely connected. He gets busted out of jail, has that moment where he experiences empathy, seeing this kid that's just like him, and he compromises, he pulls back. Shortly afterwards, we get him tentatively and awkwardly thanking Nite Owl for getting him out of jail, the scene where he's been so starved of human contact and kindness that he's unsure how to shake hands. He gets to Antarctica, and he sees the horror that Veidt's unleashed, and he's appalled. He is no longer the figure that will look down at the masses begging to be saved and say 'no,' he's experiencing empathy in ways he hasn't in a long, long time. I don't think it's coincidence that in both the apartment scene and his death scene he's unmasked. He isn't Rorschach in those moments, he's Walter Kovacs, and he's feeling pains he's long buried beneath the mask. The scene in the apartment is a mortal wound to Rorschach, a repudiation of his world-view as established in his opening diary entry. The way I see it, Rorschach was born at the scene he describes to his therapist ("It was Walter Kovacs who said "mother" then, muffled under latex. It was Kovacs who closed his eyes. It was Rorschach who opened them again."), Rorschach died in the apartment when he compromised for once, and Walter Kovacs died in Antarctica.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That's fair. I would say that you're right, in that empathy isn't the root of his ethical system, but in having an act of empathy in such a way, it's throwing the flaws of his ethical system into stark relief. I would read his last act as a complete collapse of his world and his eventual and tragic acceptance of that. He has rediscovered his humanity, and it's in brutal misalignment with his moral code, and it tears him apart. I'd say the Rorschach at the beginning would make the same choices, probably say the same things, but the reasoning and the character has changed. But then again, as you note there's plenty that would work against that reading, so eh.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only good season of The Batman is the last one. The first Harley episode was not good but the setting the woods on fire montage was.

I quite like The Batman, but if there's one thing you're gonna watch from the series, make it that montage.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Isn't Jezebel a parody site?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

That’s reductress. Jezebel is the feminist blog by the same people who bring you kotaku

Ah, whoops.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Frankly, I think we should just ban Snyder talk right now. I mean, we already know how that's going to go, why bother letting it keep popping up between now and April?

I kinda assumed when I first saw this title change that that's what had happened, honestly. It's the perfect title to announce the new rule.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

An official Terrordrome would kick rear end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I thought that Disney should have made a MCU-Kids of animated films. Big Hero 6, Squirrel Girl, Skrull Kill Krew, Pet Avengers... I think it could have worked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

MK Ultra Girls

You know what, that a weird enough idea that I really want to see it. Apparently Kano was the gym teacher? I hope this isn't a hoax, drat.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

As far as I'm concerned, a cheat being in the game to unlock all costumes is just giving you the option to access them from the start. I'd kill for cheat codes like that to come back.

E: In the case of these games I'd even prefer just giving them $3 for the outfit I want. That's better than their garbage blind box system.

Arkham City had a cheat to let you unlock the alternate suits before you beat the game and I spent the entire game switching costumes and I loved it. I was so annoyed that Arkham Origins didn't have one, especially since it has some of my favourite Batman costumes as alternates. One of the best things about Knight was being able to change outfits before you beat the game.

Edit: Arkham Knight's best costume is the '89 one, even though it's a little weird seeing Batman able to turn his head.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 8, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

'66 would like a word. Especially all the times he takes the cowl off

I did play on PC, so that does influence things a bit (was the Azbats costume Origins or Knight? Either way, I was annoyed that I couldn't play with it, wasn't that and the '66 costumes PS exclusive?)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I quite liked Godzilla '14, but honestly the best sequence in that movie is the HALO jump scene, and they released the full thing as a preview. I liked King of the Monsters, I liked how they handled my boy Rodan, but Skull Island is probably the best of the Monsterverse movies so far. Looking forward to Godzilla vs. Kong, apparently my dad and a few of his friends are planning on renting a theatre when it comes out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

There's a real feeling that Snyder would rather be telling that story, with Russell Crowe riding dragons in a sci-fi disaster movie than have to tell a story about a superhero he doesn't understand. I'd rather see Snyder direct that movie that watch Man Of Steel.

I mostly liked Man of Steel, and I would gladly trade it for a Zack Snyder science fantasy sword and planet thing like his Krypton looked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Quotey posted:

if i was facing imminent transfer to oz by tornado, i wouldn't be asking my super son to stay away. actually, if he didn't i'd come back to haunt him later as one of the biggest challenges of his career. we would probably reconcile, but it would be at least 2 issues.

so i've never really got that part. i might rewatch it, i was never paying full attention.

I've mentioned I'm pretty positive on Man of Steel, I'll go to bat for the "maybe" scene, but the tornado sequence was just weird. I think I get what Snyder was going for, but I'm not sure it's quite what came across.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Beamed posted:

This movie honestly looks like a better time than BvS was. The cartoonish "GWAAAH" when Two Face sees the exploded cars :allears:

I'll defend Batman Forever. It's not as good as the previous two, but it is nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin and is a fun, but goofy as gently caress, movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Batman & Robin has a lot of the same elements, but the third act in particular is just far too long. The bits people enjoy there are about 40% of the actual picture, and the rest of the time you're just bored.

Yeah, there's definitely bits of Batman & Robin that are pretty decent, John Wick of Dogs's list has a bunch of them, but I think that as a whole the movie fails to be as entertaining as it should.

Was it someone here who described Batman '89 as a Tim Burton Batman movie, and Returns as a Tim Burton movie with Batman? Because I feel like that's the best descriptor. I liked Batman Returns, I only saw it fully a few years ago too, but it's a weird loving movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, I've seen some critics mentioning that if you disliked the take on the characters in BvS then you might not like this.

I'm also in the group that isn't attracted by the 4 hours. :gonk: I still can't get myself to rewatch the LoTR extended versions, and those are movies I loved.

Gonna be honest, me too. I liked Man of Steel and enjoyed (not to say I thought they were very good) BvS and Justice League, I'm curious about this even though it sounds like a nightmare cross of the Exorcist prequels and Heaven's Gate, but 4 hours, oof. From what I understand it's set up so each hour is a break point, but then I start to wonder why they didn't release it as a miniseries like they planned to originally. Guess they wanted it to be an Event? Explains the meal box I guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, I was curious enough to drop $15 for one month of HBO Max. Haven't gotten to starting ZSJL yet, just poking around the site, and what the gently caress is their selection. Critters 2 and 4? The gently caress? You can't leave out 3!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished part 2. I liked the big ancient battle scene, but then again I liked it in the theatrical version too. The amazons in part 1 felt kinda floaty to me, and I find myself wishing they just went with Kirby's design for Steppenwolf. He just looks bad. I watch a lot of old movies, I don't mind 4:3 and for the most part it just is here, but the scene where Aquaman rescues the fisherman in the storm felt bizarrely claustrophobic. Other than that it's fine so far, the action sequences are fun enough despite some dodgy CG here and there. I already think you could have trimmed a lot to make the film tighter, but then again I personally think 90 minutes is the ideal runtime for movies so 4 hours was never going to be a draw for me anyway. It hasn't bothered me too much just yet, let's see if it starts to really grate on me as it continues.

Edit: Some of the music choices... eh.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 20, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished it. Movie did not need to be four hours long, at all. Here's a couple more thoughts.

Martian Manhunter should have been cut. Just... straight up, both his scenes were real bad. The first one even kinda ruins the nice bit just before. Why?

In fact, the Knightmare scene should have been cut, it was actually worse than the theatrical version where at least something happened. I've somehow managed to miss everything besides MoS, BvS, and JL, so this was my first exposure to Leto as Joker and... gently caress he's not a good Joker. I kept on hoping he was done talking and then he'd keep on going.

No other scenes where the aspect ratio bothered me like the fisherman scene, so that was good.

Did Iris West ever... get named, or say more than a couple lines? The way she was talked up I was expecting her to be more... there. Barry was a little creepy and then snagged a hot dog?

I was shocked at how much was in the theatrical version, the way it was talked about I didn't expect there to be so many times where I was like, "oh yeah, I remember this scene."

Flash stepping back through time and the world reconstructing itself beneath his feet was cool.

There was more character development and it was good, but it was four hours long so I don't really feel that's quite an accomplishment?

It was decent, but it really does remind me of the Exorcist prequels. Yeah, the second go-round is better, but it's not that much better. It probably could have really shined, properly edited down to two and a half hours. Anyways, I gotta get some sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the second Martian Manhunter scene is good because it shows Batman's development where now even though he still has nightmares about evil aliens he puts those aside and is willing to take a leap of faith on a stranger. It would feel better I think if his nightmare wasn't so long.

Iris didn't do much but putting her back is important because it essentially forced WB to keep her cast as Iris in the Flash movie. I don't know what was creepy about that scene. He very carefully and meticulously moves her so he didn't explodify her.

I did like Bruce just being kinda exasperated at him showing up, but frankly it was a clumsy scene that just... wasn't very good. As for Barry being creepy... he spent a very long time just staring at her before he went about moving her out of the way. I mean, I don't necessarily blame him because he's an awkward person (I'm kinda an awkward person too, I understand), but I was eventually just like "ok dude, you don't need to stare that long, just get her out of the way." It's kinda weird that the only identification of her as Iris West is in the credits, or that she's not really a character here like I was expecting. At least Jimmy Olsen got named.

Phylodox posted:

And I really didn’t care for the “I’m not broken” scene. After all the build-up about how the Mother Boxes would defend themselves and use all of your worst fears against you, the actual scene itself seemed weirdly perfunctory. In a bloated, overlong movie, that’s the one scene I wish had been considerably longer.

My problem with that was his declaration of "I'm not alone" because I don't feel like there was enough on him and the rest of the League really understanding each other. It was four hours, we couldn't have had a small scene with Barry and Victor having a chat (I'm thinking while Barry chows down on some burgers or something, I don't think he puts anything into his mouth after he gets into the car with Bruce with a pizza and explains his metabolism is through the roof) about... I dunno, anything, to get a sense of developing camaraderie? I feel like there could have been a better sense of the team really coming together as a whole that didn't quite show through.

I do like the scene where Cyborg adds the money to that lady's account, especially the bit where after adding the money he pauses and adds the original amount on top, but the bit immediately prior to that of "Son, I know you're hurting, but you can loving nuke the world if you want now" was an... interesting choice. Not a bad one, from what I've heard from people with scientists parents it doesn't strike me as being too absurd, really, but an interesting one.