Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat. Frankly I'm amazed he was 43. Looked so much younger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope they recast him because every alternate suggestion sounds dumb. Add a tribute to Boseman at the beginning or the end and just have a little faith in your audience to grasp that a new guy is Black Panther now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think making Shuri BP would be fine... for like BP 3, but I'd argue it would be more hosed up to just have T'Challa die offscreen before BP2 starts than it would to just recast. Boseman made the role and it will be an incredibly tough act to follow, but the character of T'Challa deserves to have a proper end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Recasting is a thing that happens but usually not right away especially for a lead character. I honestly am hard pressed to think of a case where a lead actor died tragically between movies and they just recast them that wasn't a complete lovely clusterfuck like the Bruce Lee stuff.

I mean, nothing's "right away". It's gonna be 2 years at least before BP 2, barring any more delays (which, clearly this will cause no matter how they proceed, plus you know, there's still kind of a pandemic going on) and production hasn't started at all. Let's not pretend this is some last minute change of an otherwise finished movie and that only Boseman's scenes will be refilmed, or that it'll Carrie Fisher things and change the story and write around some existing footage. If and when (I hope) they recast, presumably it'll be well done.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Gonna DVR it so I can go through one frame at a time and find all the blue lives matter subliminal messaging Disney added

AIC EHT NIOJ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Don't they literally say in endgame that he didn't seriously make a grab for all the gems until he discovered that gamora knew where the soul gem was

Did they ever say how Gamora knew that? I haven't rewatched either Guardians in a long while but it seemed really random.

ImpAtom posted:

That would genuinely have been such a ridiculous improvement.

I mean to be fair so would most of the Avengers. They are either absurdly wealthy, war criminals, or propaganda tools.

Tony's all three!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

that article posted:

But film finance attorney Schuyler Moore says a Marvel star wouldn’t likely require a medical examination for insurance purposes.

I can buy that for most movies but I can't believe a role like a superhero that probably requires a whole bunch of physical training wouldn't require an exam. Wild.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd have figured they'd want to hold back on the time travel for a while after Endgame but whatever I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

she’s also 25 which might be older than Marvel Studios wants for someone who’s presumably going to be playing a teenager for a few years. Granted, that hasn’t stopped Hollywood before

I mean, Tom Holland's 24 and his Peter Parker is still in high school so... yeah. I'd say the door's open for older casting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Well with the Scarlet Witch it was only natural it would become a 'Sword & Sorcery' series.

Booooo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Setting aside the cops and the themes entirely for a minute, my biggest problem with DKR is that the villain is the League of Shadows is the villain again. Like yeah, Bane's the leader now and they're gonna blow it up instead of flood it in fear toxin, okay but ultimately when you boil it down the real endgame is that the League wants to destroy Gotham. I all just gives a sense of "Wait, we're doing this again? And 2 sequels down the line?" It's like if in Iron Man 3 Guy Pearce revealed that his whole plan was actually... to monetize arc reactor technology and steal Stark Industries! Oh and he's actually Ezekiel Stane! After Joker I thought we were past trying to destroy Gotham (well at least for Ra's Al Ghul's reasons), and at least when Bane was announced it seemed like we were, but oh well.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 30, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Garfield was fine and deserved better.

Yeah the guy himself was fine he just happened to be saddled with the worst script/plot/everything else possible

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be ironic/ very sad when the real world catches up to the MCU after they had a time jump.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

If that's true then it's extremely lame. If I wanted some cross-dimensional Spider-Man adventures I'd just rewatch Spider-Verse.

After Spider-Verse, I feel like I can no longer watch any superhero movie without thinking "I bet this would look much better animated"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. His sister's not even 'Satana' it's 'Ana.'

I would put money on there being a dramatic scene where they're fighting a demon or whatever and she says that Ana's short for Satana and suddenly has crazy demon eyes or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Superman is gonna break Leto-Joker's neck and everyone will cheer

I was just going to suggest that they slot him into the place of the rando guy that Battinson beats the absolute poo poo out of in the Batman trailer because then that would eliminate my problems with it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be a 20 minute single take in which the Justice League beat the poo poo out of Joker just so the crew can beat the poo poo out of Leto on camera.

I'm imagining the printer scene from Office Space only with an edgy clown

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Why do we have to do 10+ years of origin films, fights against world ending mega threats, heroes fighting against heroes and an all powerful universe ending threat....before we can have a film with a team of Supervillains?

Your wish is granted

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Real hot take, but there are no bad interpretations of superheroes, just different ones. They're all valid in their own way.

Bat-mite? Is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

I'm sure everything will be revealed when they make the Deep Cut documentary about all the shenanigans that went on bts

Now that is something I'd honestly really like to see, moreso than either version of Justice League, because between all this and all of Ray Fisher's claims about how lovely it was and how they chopped it to hell, I feel like it could/would be a fascinating look at how corporate superhero movies are.

Of course it would never really get made because no way in hell would WB let a movie that painted them in a negative light see the light of day but it's an interesting thought experiment.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 25, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

That does make me wonder though, is Howard Stark the most recast character in the MCU? Three different actors have played him.

Would you count the fact that Lou Ferrigno was the voice of the Hulk up until Age of Ultron and then they just added a filter to Ruffalo? Because then that makes 3 actors for Hulk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Inifinity War lasts longer than a day, doesn't it?

I mean, probably not that much longer. Assuming the movie is moving linearly and the cuts between the various subplots are supposed to be happening concurrently, starting from the point that Banner gets teleported into the Sanctum Sanctorum, the following events happen either simultaneously or drat close to it:

• Stark, Strange, and Parker go to space
  • Team Cap saves Vision and Wanda from the Black Order
  • Guardians find Thor

Then after that, in sequence:
  • the Guardians split for Thor to make Stormbreaker and for everyone else to watch Gamora get kidnapped.
  • Thanos and Gamora travel to Vormir and he kills Gamora. This is depicted as happening in the time it takes for the Guardians + Stark/Strange/Spidey to get to Titan, and for the rest of the Avengers to rest for a second before deciding to go to Wakanda.
  • The Titan fight happens
  • Thanos' whole fleet descends on Wakanda, Thor finishes Stormbreaker and he/Groot/Rocket go to Wakanda
  • The Snap happens.

There are some breaks in there where maybe you can be generous and assume that there was a larger gap in time, like maybe you can assume that there's a more significant gap between the Black Order's initial invasion of Earth and the Guardians finding Thor adrift in space, or the Guardians/Team Stark spend a little more preptime than we see on Titan, or maybe that the Avengers spend a little more time in Wakanda while Shuri works on Vision, but still, everything in the movie happens fast. Maybe it doesn't happen in one day, but I'd say if that even if you're being ridiculously generous, the Infinity War takes 3 days tops from start to snap

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 10, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

You can't drop a film with EVERY loving HERO and then go back to single hero adventures.

Black Widow would disagree.

Or she would I guess, but she's dead and also her movie's been pushed back forever...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bring in Matt Ryan for Into The Constant-Verse

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I like the light up hair.

I like it in concept, but much like in comics, Carol barely ever wears that mohawk look so I don't feel like it'd be popular in-universe.

Whatever though, Kamala's a fangirl, she'd probably be totally aware of the helmet look and into it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The character's too important to too many people not to recast.

If you want to hotshot Shuri, no problem. But you can't kill T'Challa off-screen.

:hai:

Agreed. Even if you don't want to kill him and let him just hand the title/throne off, have the stones to recast and give T'Challa a proper send-off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations.

The only thing that's safe to say is that they shouldn't go the Disney route of CGI-ing Boseman a la Leia or Tarking, even if it's just as a send off.

I think they've announced they're not gonna do that, thank God.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I exist at all times at once, thus I am experiencing every bad post you have made, and every bad post you will make simultaneously

And you haven't been driven mad?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That whole summary sounds not very good but I gotta admit it also sounds so batshit that I'd probably pay to see it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Imagine spending $150 to watch the croods 2 and like 3 of your friends die as a result

Because of coronavirus or because the Croods just kills them there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Superman is an alien that shows up one day. Crazy, but statistically likely. Weird that he looks like us though.

Atlantis is a secret nation of water people that has existed for thousands of years on our planet, and once ruled it with magic that we had no idea about.

Plus (even though there is a great deal of the depths of the ocean that we've not yet explored), people generally like to think we've got a pretty good grasp of what's going on below the sea, whereas I think most people agree there's plenty of mystery in space.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought Onward came out in theaters but just underperformed?

Also complain about theaters if you want but if they really tank, Disney is totally gonna launch Super-Plus and do that upcharging Mulan poo poo for every big release in the future

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://www.twitter.com/dril/status/514845232509501440

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

They got her to back off within 24 hours so I imagine they'll try and just power through this one like the Pratt stuff and just hope she's not stupid/crazy enough to do it again. The percentage of the audience that caught that one night Shuri was posting crazy rear end anti vax stuff is probably small.

Honestly the percentage of people who keep up with any of the actors' twitters are probably a negligible fraction of the overall viewership of an MCU film from the view of Disney. I'd have to imagine somebody would have to do something extremely loving stupid* (and public to boot) to get taken off a film.

*i realize being an anti-vaxxer is extremely stupid, but what i mean is something so objectionable that it'll cause the general public to turn on the actor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The Wright thing is just the obvious. We don't know what will be the future of Black Panther. They're filming without naming a replacement. It would be weird and uncomfortable if they just spring a new actor into the role so soon after his death.

I disagree, it's not like they're "springing" a new actor into the role, it'll be at least a year if not longer before the movie comes out. It's always uncomfortable when an actor takes over a role because another one died, but audiences aren't stupid, they can grasp the concept of a new person in the role.

I don't know how hot of a take that is but whatever, I don't think it's disrespectful of Boseman to recast.

edit: also it's totally obvious why they'd not announce a new actor, because they want to put off having this discussion in the media as long as possible

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 5, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that they're going with her not being able to fly (yet, I bet that'll be at the climax of this movie) but sheesh, there's gotta be a better way to depict her moving fast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

hosed up that MCU peter parker stole miles' personality and his best friend and now he's taking his movie too

For real, we just did this. If I were feeling all tinfoil hat-y I'd say they're doing it specifically to step on Sony's toes (but I know that's probably almost definitely not true).

In my dream though the other Spider-Men go "who is Tony Stark and why won't you shut up about him, kid?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat that song ruled

:yeah:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All this got me thinking about how much these movies kill their villains and out of all 23 current MCU films, the only villains that survive the movie they're introduced in are

• Abomination (might as well be dead seeing how much Marvel memory-holed Incredible Hulk)
  • Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2)*
  • Loki
  • Dormammu*
  • Vulture
  • Grandmaster* (Thor Ragnarok)
  • Yon-Rogg/the Kree in general

*And those guys were side villains, the movies always made sure to kill another villain!

edit: okay I guess no one died in Ant-Man and the Wasp but I can't even remember who the villain in that was really. Scott's probation officer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

You missed Zemo, Red Skull (kinda), Arnim Zola and (to be pedantic) Thanos. I think generally the newer movies are more likely to spare the villain. Caecilius in Dr Strange isn't dead either, he's zombified or something. There's also the Winter Soldier if you want to count him (he's pretty much still a villain at the end of that movie) and a few minor villains like Klaw and Crossbones.

Zola totally dies. Well, I mean, he's already dead in TWS, but he's in a computer that then gets blown up. I'm sure future movies can use him being in the internet as an out, but I feel like his end was pretty definitive. Kaecilius doesn't necessarily die I suppose but getting taken to the Dark Dimension is one of those "fate worse than death" things where he won't get back. I didn't want to count minor villains for the most part, but I honestly forgot that T'Challa stops Zemo from committing suicide, I could've sworn I remembered him doing it.

Thanos dies twice in Endgame so I'll call it even.