Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/chadwickboseman/status/1299530165463199747?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Had there been a single movie that was taken off the slate or anything even close to being vaporware when they announced Guardians? That heavily helped people believe that Guardians would actually happen. DC seems to announce then shuffle poo poo off the schedule all the loving time so they say "New Gods!" and all I hear is "Flash."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I just rewatched it and I thingk she and Wong are the stand outs. Cumberbatch is fine but sort of just drifts through some scenes. Mads and Mcadams were thoroughly wasted.

This makes me wonder, what's the best talent that the MCU has just utterly wasted?
Obviously Mads is up there but you also have people like Eccleston who had next to no words and was just absolutely caked in makeup and Sam Rockwell who didn't even get the dignity of being killed before being sent to the memory hole.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Disney's gonna give her the Terrance Howard special and make her Shuri.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Shageletic posted:

There's a ton of poo poo on HBOMAX. In fact they have a classic section of movies that I bookmarked ten movies out of that I still haven't seen but plan to. It's a deluge of product. It's why I don't really see myself giving it up for at least awhile

Better watch those movies fast. WBD has been absolutely massacring even the back catalogue of content in the past few days. The just announced a bunch of Cartoon Network (which WBD owns) content and even HBO Max originals are being removed at the end of the month.
https://tvline.com/2022/08/17/hbo-max-removed-tv-shows-generation-close-enough-elmo-full-list/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I think they still want Hamada to be their Feige?

They just let Hamada go lol.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The shittiest part of deleting everything is now you have a whole host of people, above and below the line, who worked on the movie for a long period of time who don't even have rough footage for their reel. So now they get to explain a long gap in their work with "trust me, I really did work on that movie" or worse, maybe they felt it was honestly the best work they've done and they have absolutely no way to show that for future jobs.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got interested and looked up what Dan Lin did before this and it's just a hodgepodge of projects. Compared that to Kevin Feige who's credits are literally just every loving Marvel movie pre MCU.

Not that I think Lin is going to fail or that he's bad at his job but the difference is stark. Feige has absolutely lived in comic movies his whole career. Lin's career is all over the place without a single comic movie in the list.

Again, I wish Lin luck but this feels like this is just another name for the meat grinder. I'd ask how they're so bad at this but it's hard getting any traction when your parent company is being sold every two years and the new buyer obviously demands immediate results.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't the story that Feige threatened to quit unless he didn't have to deal with Perlmutter anymore? I thought it was something like that.

Yeah, they had to split into Marvel Movies and Marvel TV to keep him around and relegated Perlmutter to TV. I think once Trump was elected and Perlmutter had his attention diverted, Feige made the move to tie them both back together and totally kick Perlmutter out of the whole process.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

edit: absolutely the wrong thread.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Weird. The dude had a 20 year break from acting and then he comes back in a major movie and Loki for his first projects back.

I wouldn't say Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is a major movie. It's absolutely an indie movie that just happened to blow up.

Also dude didn't take a break so much as he was getting really lovely and stereotypical roles so he bounced. Between EEAAO being a huge hit and an actual effort to diversify the quality of roles given to minority actors, he decided to make a go of it in a return that seems to have bore some real good fruit.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/DrewMcWeeny/status/1568716220366737408?t=TZFgMtKKyVdVYnc_koc19Q&s=19

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

All they've announced is that Matt Shakman is gonna be director and it's going to be a Fantastic Four movie. They don't need to cast anyone new because they already have introduced the F4 team they're gonna go with in the MCU:
She-Hulk
Ant-Man
Ms Marvel
Spider-Man

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1570889223095336971

Holy poo poo, yessss

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently this has pushed out the TV series from Abrams which isn't moving forward at HBO Max.

Discovery has made it very obvious they don't value hbo max at all so this tracks.

Also I'd like to think NBCU buying WBD would trigger a bunch of antitrust bells and whistles to go off but at this point, I wouldn't count on it. If it does happen, it will be exceedingly worse than Discovery buying WB and I feel for the poor throngs of employees at Warner who would then have gone through their third major buying and forced restructuring in less than 10 years. Every purchase just makes the whole company a bit more of a shell of itself.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gavok posted:

I'm working on an article about popular MCU theories from over the years that ended up going nowhere. I'm looking for some suggestions. Ones that come to mind:

- Agent Coulson will be brought back as Vision.
- Loki in Infinity War will play the same role as Mephisto in the Infinity Gauntlet comic.
- Captain Marvel is a Skrull.
- Mephisto is the main villain behind WandaVision.
- Reed Richards is Monica's engineer friend.

Ant-Man would take out Thanos by going up his butt.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FieJToFKc

Any chance I get to rewatch this video is good. I feel like this is incredible cathartic for him.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I didn't pay it much attention because Florida is a farce in general, but I thought DeSantis was bonkers against Disney for their opposition to the bill. Was he just being an incredible baby?
I think Disney stopped or paused donations to Republicans?

Chapek's first email to staff was akin to "it's disappointing but we'll show them by having gay people in the stuff we create! But we can't stop supporting the politicians because then we don't have a seat at the table." Which went over exceptionally poorly including at least one week of internal meetings being hijacked by people pushing DEI along with creatives going on socials and talking about how handcuffed they are and how often their gay characters are cut or rewritten as straight in editing. After that he finally put out something a little more (not donating anymore is the big thing) and because DeSantis smelled blood in the culture war water, he jumped and went ape poo poo on it. But it was a long two weeks with a lot of feet dragging from upper management to get there.

It doesn't help that Chapek had given almost exclusively to republicans in the past too.

Iger's being brought back to try and steady the ship while trying to find another successor but no one should forget that Chapek was his hand selected choice too.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Karloff posted:

I really loved BOP but sadly it didn't do too well so might not be high up on the list. I'm sure we'll see Robbie's Harley again. In fact we already have.

On the one hand, I feel like BOP should get a bit of a mulligan because it came out right as people started getting cautious about gathering in crowded places as covid was starting to gain mainstream attention.

On the other hand, it also had a pretty concerted campaign to shut it down by chudliest chuds because people suck poo poo and I guess don't like it when people make things that aren't for them.

On a third, completely different hand, you also have a company that's now under it's third ownership in under a decade and one of their first actions was to completely shelve the only other female driven superhero movie they had in the pipeline (which also just happened to be totally done). This alone has a chilling effect on my hopes for a BOP sequel.

My biggest complaint about BOP will always be they could've used any name other than Cassandra Cain but also whatever. Their property, their name, their choice.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The last straw had to have been the proxy fight Ike was backing recently. But yeah, getting him out of the company is gonna be a net positive all around honestly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I was really excited for this project until I saw that trailer. Nothing's gelling here at all and it killed all the brain momentum I had for it. Maybe I'll see something in the next 3 months to change my mind about it but...woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

According to IMDB Adam Scott is in it as Ben Parker but I have no idea which one. He's a good actor though.

Yeah, he's in the trailer for half a second as Cassandra's EMT partner

There's a lot of decent to good people in the cast but what's being shown here is no one's A game or even C game.