Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OH MY GOD gently caress 2020.

Goddamn that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

They'll do Digital Boseman, but it'll be in the Ancestral Plane when Shuri sees him after becoming the new Black Panther and we'll all cry like at the end of Furious 7
They can swerve around digital necromancy by having him be embodied by the Panther Spirit Bast in the ancestral plane.

The movie writes itself with opening on T'Challa's funeral, prompting Shuri to take up the mantle, relying on her tech skills to bypass the lack of spirit flower. She teams up with M'Baku and a globe-trekking search for another garden ensues. She hits her low point with failing tech and receives a vision with the Ancestors showing her that the flower was just a means to forge a connection with the spiritual world and instead she mainlines Bast.

Then M'baku is elected to rule and Wakanda gets rid of the ruling monarchy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

The fact that the natural alternative is to elevate a black woman just makes resisting that and forcing in a replacement all the more awkward.
Also reminds me about how hosed the Howard>Cheadle recast was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

he doesn't strike me as one to just accept the role being given like that
I'm sure Killmonger caused a bit of a ... realignment... of the Wakandan political scene.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of felt his second-half scenes in BP were kind of takin the piss on him being an out of touch diehard (lol jk we're vegan, I saved your king btw).

Maybe that's just cuz the dude is cool

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

people should perhaps shut up about it.
True, true.

Hey guys, did you know that Spiderverse is actually about *~consumerist branding~* and the PoC main character only becomes a person after becoming marketable himself with DayGlo SpiderPunch Action? :grin:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Retro Futurist posted:

Rewatching The Avengers, and man Thanos' involvement makes less sense here than in Ultron.
NoPrize: Earth is a backwater planet without intergalactic travel killing itself slowly so Thanos just hands it off to some lackey because wtf can go wrong kid knock yourself out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Have Michael B. Jordan take over as T'Challa.

(Not Killmonger.)
I woke up to an article where John Boyega called Disney Execs out for giving all the story to the white kids in the movie and sidelining the poc, and I think he'd do wonderful things if he has as much input at Boseman apparently did.

But since Marvel is a Disney joint...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1301949796081696769?s=19

I am getting the very real feeling Ray is torching his DC career here, but good for him
I feel like peace of mind (and preventing similar situations from happening) is worth whatever lackluster DC projects were on the plate anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Phoenix need its own through line ending with something like Infinity War/Endgame. They keep trying to cram it into a single movie because PHOENIX and we've seen the results.
Arguably it was set up for something in X2 and... yeah. What a waste.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ror posted:

Yeah I haven't seen Dark Phoenix, but as I recall the ending shot of the phoenix shadow on the water in X2 was miles better than any of the phoenix imagery in X3.
DP was... weird. Because she obviously had some power jump in Apoc, but then in DP she absorbs space dust and that gives her super-powered angst or something.

X2 is what I was thinking in terms of buildup.

X2 has all these scenes about using your power responsibly, Pyro turns, Xavier gets mind-controlled, and you have Jean at the end Going Through poo poo but using that power in service of saving her friends.

So an outsider could be like "whoa she burned herself out with that last push" and the Phoenix water hints at something else maybe or just a nice poetic ending.

It's just a shame that X3 turned out like that because it was a seriously cool cliffhanger they squandered.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, the joke about washed out child actors is a thing for a reason.

That reason being overbearing parents who don't protect their interests and poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

Garfield was fine and deserved better.
Garfield was too loving hot and smooth and his banter was from a place of knowing he was hot poo poo.

Prove me wrong!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

L Parker being a wiener nerd who gets bullied because he's smart and likes science. Oh dear god! My job is basically herding teenagers and the idea that someone would get bullied because they are smart and are good at things that will make them successful in life is alien to them.
Homecoming really nailed the aspect of social outcast that worked best for that version of Peter: he's poor, incredibly gifted, but doesn't have the social capital or means or indicators of wealth that Flash does so he's open to mockery in the pecking order.

And what worked with MJ was she totally didn't buy into anything that was going on.

Pete could totally be rocking a skateboard, but I think it would have to be one with mismatched wheels while his peers are taking SelfDriving Teslas

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
gently caress you guys hating on Toby you think anyone else could have pulled off the Burt Bacharach scene in 2 as well? :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AnonSpore posted:

I hear the guy from the first Marvel vs Capcom
One for JJ!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dunno. Could use some visor-pouches

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I always took it as an AR type display that sits outside of his helmet, like a FPS ui.

Because you don't want to be hovering and have a fixed sightline

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's more likely she's be Nuyorican but she's from an alternate earth so that point is kind of moot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

poly and open-minded posted:

I was glad when they decided that the Staff of One wasn't some dumb tech thing coded to Minoru blood and shifted it to actual magic
I hated that last season plot with Morgana and wished she had just been one of the light people that went rogue, actually.

Amazing to see them retool the show in mid-season then drop the whole "No, actually, Wilder is an rear end in a top hat" thing in, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Davros1 posted:

Now I want to see the Joker rankings. Does it only rank modern day Jokers (ignoring Cesar Romero). Or is there someone worse than Leto?
Well, Brent Spiner was kind of blah in Young Justice but he's not Leto bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

How Wonderful! posted:

When the Fatal Five showed up in Bunheads to ruin the big recital I feel like most fans just rolled with it.
Holy poo poo I remember having to sit through so many Bunheads ads thanks to AMC.
:golfclap:

That and Nights in Rodanthe.

McCloud posted:

It's not like they agreed to release the cut and then zack went "oh btw, I'll need 70 million to shoot some extra stuff".
That seems to be what the current narrative is. I'm wondering how much of the JL2 stuff he's able to get in there with the episode format, though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mal-3 posted:

Redoing the movie as a miniseries feels like a whole lot of risk for extremely minimal reward.
I almost want to give the studio credit as they realized production for anything would be hyperfucked when Corona hit and decided this would be Good Content spread over 2ish months of they deliver 1ep/week of the miniseries.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

I still feel the movie would have been stronger if they'd made Stark Sr an rear end in a top hat that stole ideas from Vankos father. It's rumored this was the original pitch that later got changed because they didn't want one to paint one of the main characters in that Agent Peggy spin off as a bad guy
It's not even that hard to go "cold war, we stole secrets left and right" or whatever. poo poo, say Vankodad was HYDRA or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Happy Hippo posted:

:eng101: A career ending comic book movie
I enjoy that he passed on a few monumental roles because he read the script and was like :what: "the gently caress is this shite?"

So he got LoXG and was like "the gently caress is... wait, no, I'll do it!" and it actually was completely poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of Whedon in the Snyder Cut I guess.
He said he's not using any Whedonshots in the film.

4 minutes obviously doesn't count stuff that's been pre-viz'd and he's probably not counting things that were storyboarded or roughed? That's the only way it makes sense to me, as "I always planned for a 10 minute fight with Steppenwulf and the league but here's a few bits where I decided some new poo poo could be useful, 4 minutes worth."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DynamicSloth posted:

It's really quite an artless cameo that they'd never do nowadays (outside of a stinger maybe). Hawkeye showing up and doing literally nothing probably poisoned any chance of anyone ever taking him seriously in the mcu.
Casting Jeremy Renner took care of that actually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JordanKai posted:

The design itself is horrendous too.
I'm hoping that the armor looks better in action. If it's dynamic and reacts to the environment (changes shape, bristles, breathes) then it might save the design.

It reflects the kind of recursive design of the motherboard, but in a different direction with the spikes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

This has me thinking (and I guess side warning as this will go to some Star Wars and Marvel stuff too) but with these big tent pole movies that are supposed to launch a thousand sequels and whatnot is there any thought process into the long game as far as story is concerned.
BvS felt disconnected from Justice League where it could have more directly lead into it but it felt (and I am probably right about this) that they didn't even have a plot outline for Justice League when BvS came out which just seems like bad planning now.
Sequel Trilogy was absolutely a mishmash because their planning was "Let JJ 'mystery box' a bunch of poo poo, get 2nd director, get 3rd to fini".

No one stopped to think we should probably get a rough throughline for the characters and get their basic story done after JJ got his claws into it, and, well... yeah.

I mean it's absolutely bonkers to remember how exciting TFA felt and how much of a wet thud Skywalker was because JJ just ignored TLJ.

And part of it is, does it matter? They'll make 800million anyway. Why bother with all that work that can get leaked and ruin things.

BvS/JL actually do have some planning and poo poo. Aside from BvS spiraling out of the Metropolis Massacre, JL was supposed to build to Darkseid discovering that a crucial part of the Anti-Life equation was found in the Codex that Superman carries in his DNA from MoS. JL was supposed to play off this Wounded King thing where Batman, spurred by Superman's sacrifice, gathers everyone and eventually sacrifices himself in the final film having resurrected Clark, inspired unity in the rest of the team, etc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

And what was the follow-up plan to this? Because obviously that would never stick.
So in the Snyder JL plan, The JL faces off against Steppenwulf and is overpowered at the last minute by a giant explosion that kills everyone. Flash does the 'run faster than ever' thing to shoot back in time and prevent the disaster, saving everyone and vanquishing Stepp.

Knowing that Darkseid is out there, JL2 picks up with Bats proposing a Unilateral Preemptive Strike against Darkseid, which proves a disaster. The League is stuck off world while Darkseid attacks earth.

They return to find a transformed Knightmare Earth. Billions are dead. Lois Lane among them, causing Superman to fall to Anti-Life. Darkseid extracts the Codex from his body, spreading Anti-Life across the cosmos.
Flash, Batman, and the remains of Cyborg travel back to JL-time to issue a warning about the failed attack, but Flash is caught between time and torn apart.

The past league remain on Earth, fending off Darkseid. Batman sacrifices himself to (protect Lois, I think) and (destroys Darkseid with a God Killer bullet?).

Batman is mourned as a hero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The irony that Endgame and JL2+3 would have relied on Time Travel to fix everything is not lost on me.

"No but you see JL Time Travel is logically consistent whereas Endgame creates Existential Rape Hell"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Retro Futurist posted:

It’s November 21st. I’m reading shitposts.
I'm watching my father throw this playboy mags off the Bannister. They tumble in the air.

I am sitting at the computer for the first time as a teenager.

I am submitting my final shitpost on the eve of 2065.

I lol.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

Killing Batman sounds like the thing that would make a huge portion of their fanbase really upset.
If he goes out killing the literal embodiment of evil and totalitarian control it might make up for it.

Some real metal-as-gently caress van-art poo poo where man defies god.

How Wonderful! posted:

Mods make a note to perma FilthyImp on January 1st, 2066.
Lol if I get perma'd when I'm 83 it'll likely kill me. What a way to go.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

David D. Davidson posted:

You know reading this makes the Justice League sound incompetent.
Yeah, though I think in practice it was supposed to be more like they were overconfident/outclassed and needed a huge hail Mary to save it, with Lois at the center of it all.

I reread some finer points and
Flash's time-travel save at the end of JL is supposed to foreshadow how Cyborg, Batman and Flash work on building the Cosmic Threadmill in the ruined Knightmare future of JL3. Flash was able to get lucky and jump to right before Steppenwulf defeats the league, but the jump they plan requires more calculation since Snyder makes it so there's only two windows where Flash wouldn't pop into the middle of the earth/space.

Batman and Superman have a falling out when Bruce's plan to place Lois in the Batcave fails and Darkseid kills her, leading to Clark's fall.

This would be what Flash prevents in JL3, leading to Batman sacrificing himself to save Lois.

ImpAtom posted:

It sounds pretty plainly like
Nah, since Flash is the only one able to travel on the treadmill. it's basically a long-winded way for Bruce's personal growth.

BvS is him coming to terms with being wrong and that Superman can represent something better and something worth fighting for.

JL is him gathering everyone and learning to rely on them/trusting.

JL2 is the low-point where his plans fail and he's left to sift through the wreckage because he forced a confrontation they weren't ready for.

and JL3 is learning to sacrifice for the future/for someone else's benefit, I guess.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hosed that part up in summary. The characters work on the problem but only one of them is able to time-travel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

What's the second thing?
Smile

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I wonder if they'll have the nerve to complain that no one went out and saw their movie.

Or if they'll trumpet the fact that it was #1 in the box office after pulling in $9000.
AMC was advertising private advanced screenings of Croods 2 for the low price of $150

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superman extra extrajudicially kills someone and in the next scene crumples a drone saying "uh don't keep tabs on me" like he's got any moral authority.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

Gee, if only there was some way to divine Supermans emotions and feelings about having to kill Zod.
Immediately after he's horning on Lois so.........

quote:

Superman only killed one person. Singular. He didn't kill the guy holding Lois hostage.
Lol dude he slammed the guy through 2 different stone walls. Dude is paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

How Wonderful! posted:

I've never seen much of The Brave and the Bold but it looks very charming!
It's amazingly earnest and completely shied away from that "The Batman Broods Alone :scowl:" thing that he's known for.

It's one of the best Aquaman depictions and the closing episode is fun and touching.