Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm really surprised they're not doing streaming with New Mutants, I just dropped the cash to buy a copy of Bill & Ted 3 since it's right there, I would have done the same for this curse film. But just lol if you think my fat rear end is gonna be in a theater seat before summer 21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But also: Good for him, there's no reason why your job needs to know your private health information unless you want them too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would have seen Tenet opening weekend if it wasn't for all of this, but I'm going to wait for it to appear on digital.

I really want to see it, but lol I'm not going into a theater.

Edit: how did bill and ted do? That was released digitally and I bought it that Friday.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I've seen people grumbling about how it would suck if Black Widow, of all possible characters, isn't able to get a theater release for her movie, but at the same time, I'm not sure what Disney would be expected to do. They have to release the movie eventually.

Also, even if Premier Access didn't work out for Mulan, surely an MCU movie has a different draw though, right?

No. I'm not spending 30 bucks to rent a movie. I dropped that on Bill&Ted because now it's in my amazon library and I can watch it whenever and however many times I want. If it's like fifteen bucks, I'll probably rent it. But otherwise I'm gonna act like it's 2005 again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

My wife and I miss our date nights being at the large multiplex cinema chain that had super comfortable recliner seats.

Like as tempting as it is to design our own home cinema in our new house, that stuff is super expensive. Both the cinema and the recliner seats.

Yeah, the new superhero movie was the time all my friends would get together and then head out to the bar afterwards to bullshit. With jobs and families, hanging out like that didn't happen often and VOD just isn't the same. Plus, I like that terrible popcorn.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoy theaters but honestly, until cases get to a manageable level or we have a vaccine I am probably not going

Still haven't eaten indoors in a restaurant since before the shutdowns, and just being in any kind of indoor environment for that long is a big risk. Plus I don't trust people to keep their masks on enough.

oh hell yeah, same. I don't see myself going into a theater or restaurant until spring at the earliest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

My youngest and oldest aunts have a 20 year age gap, but that's because there's 5 kids in between.

Actually, we don't know how old Uncle Ben was. Maybe he went grey early and married a woman ten years older than him.

Yeah I an aunt that's younger than I am.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's the low expectations. Like I don't remember Runaways ever getting out of first gear. But I'll probably convince myself to sit through it in the vain hope something will happen.

I'll probably check it out when it hits D+, but otherwise ugh

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Marvel already has this weird policy that they can't have Satan as a character. So Hellstorm and Satana isn't the children of Satan, they're the children of some dude that just happens to live in an unspecific region of one of the hells in the Marvel Universe.

I heard an ad for this on behind the bastards that said they were the children of a serial killer lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i've been going through the marvel chronological order listing on D+ and I'm towards the end now. They have Ant-Man & The Wasp BEFORE Infinity War!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I mean, most of that movie does take place before IW, so I get it.

e: that said, I cannot believe it took Disney so long to actually sort the MCU by release order (and also give a chronological order option) instead of totally randomly. It's nuts.

Inifinity War lasts longer than a day, doesn't it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat, I guess AM&W is chronologically first then!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I did it.

Due to the unspeakable popular demand that totally exists, I made a video essay about everyone's favorite movie, Man of Steel. Specifically about Pa Kent, my favorite character! I mean there's a bunch of stuff dissecting superhero mentor tropes but we all know what the people really want. Yes, it's 45 minutes. Yes, it's all downhill from there.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone here, because this is absolutely all your fault. Special shout-out to A loving Pandemic, which gave me the free time to do anything like this. <3

Hopefully there will be more, everyone said! In fact, next one will probably be about Doctor Strange.

Clicked through and liked for goon solidarity

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I need to add another like to New Mutants, I totally enjoyed the whole movie. Sam's powers looked so loving awesome. I was expecting a trainwreck, but there wasn't really anything wrong with it.

Now, Roberto and Celia were way whiter than they should have been, and Illyana's racism could turn people off as well, but the later was just part of her being a giant rear end in a top hat and goes away as she bonds with the others. Also, Sam isn't blonde but I don't want that to be lumped in with the whitewashing of two darker skinned characters, it just made me nerd grumble.

Rhane's werewolf claws were dumb looking, but whatever. It was fun, watch it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

I dunno, they could have written Ilyana as an rear end in a top hat without the racism, but the writers chose to do so anyway. Coupled with the director's interview and basically saying he doesn't see the need to cast a darker-skinned character for Roberto, it's just a really bad look.

Yeah, I'm not gonna judge anyone for writing it off because of that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i keep hearing that she's actually terrible, but nothing to reinforce that. Seems something to do with her being friends with Lindsey Ellis is is also secretly worse than Ben Shapiro?

It's okay, she's good and cool. This same thing happened last time I posted one of those snyder MMF links.

Alhazred posted:

I mean, poo poo, your ending is arguably better because Superman actually grows as a person in your version.

I still remember sitting in the theater, watching the movie and thinking, "My god, they actually did it."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So for some reason I was wondering what ever happened to Ain't It Cool News and, welp, I'll give you three guesses!

That's right, the guy who wrote *that* Blade 2 review, was accused of sexual assault. Just looking at google synopsis because I have no desire to research further, it looks like Harry had been groping women. drat, that used to be one of my daily visted websites back in the late 90s and early aughts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been known for years.

Yeah the headlines I saw were from 2017, but I never heard about it. It was just the place for my comic book movie news on web 1.0.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aquaman is the Monster Energy drink of superhero movies and I have equal amounts of respect and contempt for it being so intensely dumb and obnoxious.

Yeah this sums up my feelings. I like a lot of it, but so much of the movie is loving stupid and bad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spoilers for bad thing cw sexual assault So we're all agreeing that Diana basically raped not steve, right? Guy was a real person who got body jacked for monkey paw reasons and existed after steve left. Like this is bugging me because all they needed to do, and what I expected them to do, was have the guy be a reincarnation of steve, but they had to go with lol fish out of water and now things are gross.

Also, Diana initially wrote of Barbara just like everyone else, she just wasn't a dick about someone who needed help. She had zero interest in hanging out together until Barbara got the assignment to catalogue the recovered antiquities from the heist.

Nothing in this movie approached the physicality of the amazing No Man's Land scene from the first one, and this slidey bullshit carries no weight or power. I didn't hate it, but I have no desire to watch it again.

Also also: My buddy said she stole Goldar's look and now I can't unsee it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shirkelton posted:

That’s true of literally anything by this criteria.

Yes? I mean queer theory is a legitimate way of looking at any film.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hey wait a second. If everyone had to renounce their wish, that means coffee guy had to as well. How did that work? He drank that poo poo days ago. Also what did he have to give up in exchange for that cup of coffee?

It was too hot. No he literally said it screen that it was too hot.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I still plan to watch it. I still have to watch Birds of Prey for my "marathon". But like, rewatching all the DCEU movies the last couple of weeks its not like my expectations for WW84 were especially high anyway. If there's some stuff I enjoy but part of a largely flawed/mess of a film then that's kinda the DCEU in a nutshell.

Birds of Prey is really fun as long as you can make the disconnect between the character called Casandra Caine in the movie, and the actual Cassandra Caine from the comics because holy poo poo that is not batgirl

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

It's definitely kinda weird that these films have to play around the setup of WW being a secret figure that's been hidden all these years, but she's also just out there in full costume all the time talking with everyone, she doesn't wear a mask, she led a siege into the White House??, and also she uses the exact same name -- Diana Prince -- in World War I, in the 80s, and also the 00s, doing apparently the exact same vocation.

And I don't think it's ever actually going to be explained, it's just...Hypertime or whatever.

no no, she did the SHHH signal to that one little girl, so it's all good

edit: oh hey, I had that tab open for a bit, whoops.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 30, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching Apocalypse and boy is it not good. Nightcrawler not being able to teleport through a fence, Scott's eye beams setting a tree on fire, some really bad cgi in the pyramid collpase. yikes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Watch Dark Phoenix next and Apocalypse will look like a masterpiece.

thankfully it isn't on D+

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you know what's *very cool* how instead of being a highly skilled pickpocket who's only caught because she picked the pocket of a literal psychic, Storm just grabs a big handfull of cash after making a strong breeze and then needs to be rescued from a couple dudes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I want AIM to be involved so bad since the guy climbing out of the sewer was in a literal beekeepers outfit

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just put them on D+ you cowards

edit: well I guess that can't happpen with Morbius, but still

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Sorry to bring this up, and I understand that there is some bleedover between movies and tv shows and whatnot but could the WandaVision chat go to the tv thread. Just in general there is a TV thread and a movie thread and it's a bit annoying seeing black spoiler boxes for a tv show here. Thanks for reading my annoying whiny post about forums and have a good day

Yeah, I'd rather read the same loving snyder chat over and over again every three weeks. Wandavision and many of the D+ shows are tied into the MCU and belong here. If anything, please make a Syderverse thread so this poo poo can be quarantined.

\/\/\/\/I meant in here so it doesn't keep filling this thread. We've had about 400 posts in the last 24 hours just shouting in circles.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what was the link for those videos again? now i really want to watch them

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Watching Stryker do police brutalities in Chicago in tyool 2021 is uhhhhhhhhhh not good

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't loving beleive that half this thread is watching mortal kombat cut scenes this si bananas

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Give me Black Superman!

MK Khat: I'm loving how when Sindel makes her appearence doing the sonic scream everyone is getting blown around and hurt by it, but Nightwolf is standing there all 99 problems.

I always liked Nightwolf, so it was cool seeing Raiden bugger off and say "Hey, you're leader now."

Gavok is Nighhtwolf good? Dose he ever rise above standard indigenous spirit man?

Edit: Is sindel's voice actor also Shadowweaver?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 27, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've finished the Mortal Kombat Kut scenes and they were easily better than any of the DCEU and most of the MCU. I loving LOVED how greasy and smug Shang Tsung was in Aftermath oh my god. Thank you for whoever started that derail and thank you to Site for constantly updating with her impressions, because I don't think I would have followed through with the watch if not for those.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those I actually played

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is the movie not the tv thread lol

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yep wrong thread lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'll have my second shot next week or so and I still won't go to the theater to see it. I *MIGHT* go to an outdoor bar to eat and enjoy some good beer for the first time since december '19, but even that is a solid maybe. No way am I spending time in an enclosed theater.

Hey, maybe this will bring back drive ins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

I saw TENET at my local drive in, which is a halfway decent spot but obviously nowhere near the luxury of the plush recliner seats with rumble and cocktails and real food type situation normally available in upscale theaters. My wife and I got drunk and stoned in the back of our car and had absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was great.

oh no, that's just how it is