Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So either a flashback to where Robin dies or a beefed up after-credits Injustice League scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No, the article says he’s shooting new footage.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Oh, this is a Snyder cut thing? Where the hell do you crowbar the Joker into that Justice League? When I saw the headline I thought they were talking about a new Justice League movie.

The most likely part is, like I said, an expanded scene like the one they had at the end of the original, with Luthor getting together a bunch of villains to start his own Injustice League.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

I knew that's what this "cut" was but i still can't believe the balls to straight up shoot a new character into the movie in "post".

He's not likely to get another chance at this, so why wouldn't he cram absolutely everything he ever wanted into this? Either it succeeds fantastically enough to reignite interest and he gets to keep making DC superhero movies, or he goes out knowing he did everything he wanted to do.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, it's entirely possible he had a complete movie ready to go, but now that he's realized he's up against the wall with nothing to lose he might as well go hog wild with the thing and just shoot every single idea he ever had for the movie from the start.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JordanKai posted:

Didn't Jared Leto end up becoming a cult leader of some sort? I'm surprised he's still getting Hollywood work after that.

[insert Tom Cruise joke here]

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sony’s corner of the MCU seems to be leaning towards some kind of potential villain team-up, what with Vulture showing up in Morbius.

Remember Morbius? How that was a thing? The Morbius movie? A couple of decades ago before the beginning of the Bad Times? Yeah...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think they’re basically helpless at this point. I think they agreed to it thinking, like Disney with New Mutants, they’d just slap some finishing touches on it and release it for a quick cash/attention grab. Then Snyder’s fans and the Internet Hyperbole Machine ground ponderously back into action, and Snyder saw an opportunity to capitalize on it all and basically kitchen sink the re-shoots, and now WB and HBO are along for the ride whether they like it or not.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Justice League: The Snyderer Cut

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Thor is top-tier poo poo that constantly gets short shrift.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

It clears the incredibly low bar set by Whedon I guess.

I disagree. It's somehow worse than just "gnarly guy in weird, biomechanical looking armour". It's way too busy looking.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

It looks like he did in BvS but fleshed out. It is also at least SOMETHING that makes him look different than a cave troll.

He looks like someone saw the Destroyer from Thor and said "Yes, but what if we crossed him with a disorganized cutlery drawer?"

The Whedon version was boring, yeah, but this one isn't interesting in a good way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I mean, between this and Darkseid, at least Snyder's being consistent with his "Early 2000s PlayStation video game cover" aesthetic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Presumably he’s just splicing back in hours’ worth of stuff that previously ended up on the cutting room floor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Okay who can H Jon Benjamin play in Deadpool 3?

Bob Belcher.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The worst part is that Henry Cavill is, like, charisma personified. And that does manage to come through in the films, but it’s 100% in spite of the writing, not because of it. In the hands of a decent storyteller, Cavill’s Superman could easily have become the new standard to beat.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

I don't mean this as any kind of target call out, but it really bums me out that "Superman should be friendly and smiling" is a hot take worth burying with sarcasm.

It’s not a hot take at all. It’s just that a common cheap, stupid Internet debate tactic is to take your opponent’s valid criticisms and, rather than actually engage with them meaningfully, just restate them sarcastically as though they’re ridiculous on their face and not worth addressing.

“sUpErMaN sHoUlD sAvE pEoPlE”

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wonder if they'll have the nerve to complain that no one went out and saw their movie.

Or if they'll trumpet the fact that it was #1 in the box office after pulling in $9000.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everything else aside, was the first Croods not viewed pretty positively here? It seems like everyone‘s dumping on the sequel like the first one was bad, but I remember it being surprisingly good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

Did the person who positively reviewed the Croods happen to have the words "super" and "mecha" in their name?

No, it was a pretty general consensus. Besides, SMG tends to steer clear of the CD animation thread for the most part. Their usual shenanigans don’t seem to catch on there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or they wanted to announce it on their own terms. Companies can be stupid like that. Like when Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness and everyone knew Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in Into Darkness but Paramount kept insisting that Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely not playing Khan in Into Darkness and then Benedict Cumberbatch was totally Khan. In Into Darkness. Like everyone knew he was.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

There's no incentive to hide her identity tho

There's actually a disincentive since you are cutting off a demo to advertise to even

Since when do advertising execs behave according to reason as opposed to their egos? The scoop was theirs to drop, and they’re gonna be the ones to drop it, even if they have to deny what everyone knows is true, even if they end up looking foolish in the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, when Trump said to get injected with sunlight he was speaking in riddles, foretelling the coming of luciferase like a modern day oracle?!?

What’s the over/under on this being a legit Qanon take?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd like anyone here to name a single movie or TV show where fast looking running done in this manner (meaning they aren't so fast they're a blur and you're not showing them as being fast by slowing down time around them) has ever once looked good. Because it never has and always looks weird and doesn't look any weirder here than it does anywhere else.

Captain America: Civil War :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Raimi Spider-Man movies exist in the MCU. J. Jonah played himself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

Okay, now we're hearing Charlie Cox is going to be in Spider-Man as Daredevil, I'm drawing the line here and saying at least some of this has to be bullshit

I dunno, I’d think that with his secret identity revealed, Pete could probably use a lawyer right now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can confidently dismiss David Hasselhoff as alternate Nick Fury. This way, even if I am wrong, I win!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Eh. Infinity War and Endgame managed to cram more characters than that into their runtimes and not feel too crowded. It’s all down to how prominently they’re featured, what role they play, what’s the overarching plot, etc.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bring back Billy Zane as the Phantom, you cowards!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

not sure how or why Jared Leto's Joker will fit into Spidey's world

Morbius is just the Joker in disguise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

those movies really don't hold up

I feel like a lot of this sentiment is driven by ill-will towards Tobey McGuire, but I haven't seen those movies in a long time. I'll be sure to watch them again some time soon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Retro Futurist posted:

I do kind of miss the old days where everything wasn't online all the time. Like imagine if this movie came out and all the old Spider-Men showed up and we had no idea

Eh, it would probably have just ended up being announced on an episode of Entertainment Tonight.

Remember Entertainment Tonight? Mary Hart and John Tesh? Leonard Maltin?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He didn't kill Sandman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate it because it's cliche and lazy.

By what metric? Comic books are notorious for having their villains escape and come back time and again. At the point the Spider-Man movies came out, comic book properties being adapted into films was still comparatively rare. Lex Luthor survived all of his Superman appearances. Catwoman survived Batman Returns. Magneto and Mystique survived. Are you talking about action movies in general?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Yeah I don't disagree that it fits, I just don't feel like it had to happen that way to have a good ending

The way I see it, Raimi killed Octavius for two reasons.

1) This is a movie, not a comic book. You don't know if you're going to get another chance to tell this story, so you'd better do whatever you wanted to do with this possible one shot you get. So if you really want to emphasize the price of his hubris by killing him, you'd better damned well do it.

2) If you do get another movie and you didn't kill him, Octavius is going to be like a big ol' albatross around its neck. If you don't put him in the movie, everyone's going to be asking where he is and why, if he's redeemed, he's not helping. If you do put him in the movie, he's going to be a needless distraction from the current storyline.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

For 2 I don't really buy that at all because I find the notion that if a guy survives then end of a movie and had his story completed them he must appear in the next film kinda ridiculous. He could just be in jail or whatever. Civil war had Zemo survive, although he wasn't redeemed, and no one was clamoring for him to show up in iw. No one complains vulture isn't in Holland Spidey 2. And ngl in a movie with Harry osborn goblin, sandman, AND venom if ock showed up in a bit part that would be the least of 3s problems lol

Spider-Man 2 existed in a much smaller world than Civil War, though. By that point in the MCU, we had come to accept that the world is chock full of heroes and villains and they've all got their own things going on, so we can kind of infer good reasons for them not to be constantly stepping on each others' toes. Raimi wouldn't have had to include Octavius, but if he hadn't wanted to, he would have needed to at least address why, which he might just not have felt inclined to do. Maybe he felt like he'd told the story he had wanted to tell, and wanted to have the character exit on that note.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

I don't understand, if 2 had ended with say ock being able to solve the explain problem and then turning himself into the police, why would 3 have to address him still being incarcerated. How does that service the story

Because his popularity would have meant that the fans/corporate suits would have put pressure on Raimi to include him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay but why are the prosthetic arms programmed to be evil, necessitating an inhibitor chip to begin with

They weren’t evil, they were just maniacally focused on completing the task for which they were created by any means necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Inhumans also get shoved out the door around the time that Disney bought Fox?

It predated the official sale by 1.5-2 years.