Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

That's why you gotta drink that 'buca

I drink a lot of sambuca when I'm around my family. It's a tradition really, we have special sambuca crystal glasses. They are basically fancy shot glasses with a stem and all. So you get the buca ice cold, pour it in the glasses, and then put three coffee beans in each glass for good luck.

It's a fun time and everyone is nice to me when we are drinking the buuuuc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds great!

*glares at own boring 'bucaless family*

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I've never heard of sambuca. I drink Yerba Mate everyday and all the time. I used to do Canarias brand from Brazil, very dusty without sticks. But since it's smoke dried I think it's probably not healthy. So I switched to La Rubia from I think Paraguay. Supposed to be air dried.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I bought some sausages, casings removed, from a new place yesterday and thought of this thread.

(they went into sauce for lazy manicotti and cooked out a lot better than what they look like uncooked)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I love sausages. I'd dip them in the fry sauce.

code:
 1/2 cup mayo. 2 tblsp ketchup. 1 tblsp mustard. 1 tblsp picklejuice. 1 tsp sugar. Pinch cayenne 
I of course didn't follow it to a T. I didn't want to use all the mayo first of all. And I don't do sugar.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah! But FYI almost all ketchup is full of sugar, those 2 Tbsp have on average 2 tsp of sugar, so you cut sugar content by 1/3 not 100%

A moderate amount of sugar is not a bad thing unless you're highly sensitive to it or trying to stay in hardcore ketosis, which based on the bread there you're not.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have been reading The Food Lab and I learned 1 thing that might be a gamechanger.
Instead of pouring oil into my pan, you put the oil onto a paper towel and wipe down the surface of the pan.
This prevents all my food having that oily sheen over the top, while keeping the skillet good and greasy.

Beautiful iron Dutch Oven

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It also means you're using much less oil than before (or, at least, all of that extra oil that you didn't need is getting soaked up by the paper towel).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Eventually you can graduate to using less oil directly, rather than wasting a paper towel (plus the oil soaked into the paper towel) each time, but the paper towel trick is a good transitional option!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I've been eating like a slum. I went against my instinct and looked up a recipe to fry potatoes. And learned to add the spices later into the dish because the spice can burn. I also read about high temps being important. However I'm maybe possibly burning the food, I can't tell. Tastes good. Everything tastes good in homemade fry sauce.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Honestly, those don't look awful. Yeah they have a bit of char on them, but that's fine.

Do you have access to an oven and not just a stovetop? If so, my go-to recipe for potatoes is roasting them. Get some fingerling potatoes if you can and slice them in half lengthwise (and if not, cut your available potato into similar sized chunks). Pre-heat your oven to 400 F, toss the sliced fingerling potatoes in some olive oil, salt, pepper, then spread them across a baking sheet and stuff them in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, and tender in the middle. Maybe flip them on the baking sheet once halfway through cooking for even cooking.

You can even toss it up! Add more spices, and you don't even need to be fancy about it, dried spices are fine. Got some onion powder/garlic powder/paprika? Add a tablespoon of each into there too before you toss it. Got some rosemary or thyme? That'll do great too. If you have some fresh herbs feel free to chop em up and top em on the potatoes after roasting for a bit of color and flavor.

[Edit] Hell I'm going to take a step past doesn't looking awful. I'd eat that. I'd happily eat that as a side to a main dish.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 17, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Everything I make tastes really good. I think the taste comes from the cast iron pan I've used every day for every single meal for at least 5 years. The seasoning is like whoah, real solid.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm a fan of boiling first, then building up the crust in a pan after draining and letting them dry out on the surface for a couple minutes.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Yeah, just throw some veggies and protein in there and those'd be fantastic hashbrowns. A bit of ham, an egg or two, and maybe some asparagus or something?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm a fan of boiling first, then building up the crust in a pan after draining and letting them dry out on the surface for a couple minutes.
Another good thing is to microwave first, which is faster and doesn't require any draining or drying.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Karia posted:

Yeah, just throw some veggies and protein in there and those'd be fantastic hashbrowns. A bit of ham, an egg or two, and maybe some asparagus or something?

Out of curiosity, where are you from that you would call those hashbrowns? I think most people would be very confused if they ordered hashbrowns and got fried potatoes/skillet potatoes like that. I know because it happened to me once at a diner, so I'm curious if there's a specific region involved.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Not sure it's region specific. There was one restaurant where I grew up in the Bay Area that served hashbrowns with diced potatoes (albeit smaller than that), but there were other places that served shredded potatoes. I'm generally fine with any form of hot fried potato.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you from that you would call those hashbrowns? I think most people would be very confused if they ordered hashbrowns and got fried potatoes/skillet potatoes like that. I know because it happened to me once at a diner, so I'm curious if there's a specific region involved.

Shredded potato will always be the "archetypal" hashbrown (whether loose or as a fritter), but for whatever reason, I personally will call loose pan fried potatoes* that as well.

* If served for breakfast, or if they're smaller than a half-inch on a side.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If it tastes good to you, it's good.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
For breakfast potatoes, I'm a fan of steaming them for 10 min first before spicing and sauteeing.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am going to embrace very simple cookings. The old me put oil in pan, added three spices, added 3 vegetables, and a meat. Then stirred it up. I believed in the power of 3, the holy trinities. Well not anymore.

I will only eat 1 food at a time and not mix it, unless we are talking spices. If i eat potato? Just the potato. Just the bell pepper. Just the egg, Just the ham. Embracing simplicity.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
What about a burrito

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cheese Thief posted:

Just the potato. Just the bell pepper. Just the egg, Just the ham. Embracing simplicity.

Here me out.

What if you just put all of that stuff... inside the bell pepper.

Delicious breakfast stuffed pepper.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Waterbed Wendy posted:

What about a burrito

Burritos are very complex. I am talking Simplicity, like, just fry 1 thing at a time

Drone posted:

Here me out.

dont think so

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
If I only ate a bell pepper for a meal I would be very hungry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I am going to embrace very simple cookings. The old me put oil in pan, added three spices, added 3 vegetables, and a meat. Then stirred it up. I believed in the power of 3, the holy trinities. Well not anymore.

I will only eat 1 food at a time and not mix it, unless we are talking spices. If i eat potato? Just the potato. Just the bell pepper. Just the egg, Just the ham. Embracing simplicity.

I dunno, that sounds too complex and confusing to me. I need to go simpler; not just one food at a time, but one food.

And I know just the right food to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqmPxhD2hEA

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
^^ great idea weird al

Carotid posted:

If I only ate a bell pepper for a meal I would be very hungry.

I know I said 'eat' but that's not what I meant. Talking about not frying everything in 1 big pile of brown and tan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cheese Thief posted:

^^ great idea weird al

I know I said 'eat' but that's not what I meant. Talking about not frying everything in 1 big pile of brown and tan.

Ohhh. That's much better. Stews are fine, but not everything needs to be a stew.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I think the thread helped push me out of my bad habits. I made this for dinner and I know it's going to be good. Not just by taste which is subjective, but it's probably objectively good too in that, normal regular people would accept it. Thanks everyone I am an excellent cook now. Mission accomplished

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Doesn’t look bad to me. Ham, eggs, potatoes, and onions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I think the thread helped push me out of my bad habits. I made this for dinner and I know it's going to be good. Not just by taste which is subjective, but it's probably objectively good too in that, normal regular people would accept it. Thanks everyone I am an excellent cook now. Mission accomplished

Would.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Doesn’t look bad to me. Ham, eggs, potatoes, and onions?

Yea, olive oil in the little cup. Main spices are just salt pepper and cayenne, but I like tumeric in eggs + garlic in the olive oil. Still feeling out what direction to go in, down home southern cooking maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cumin is always a good addition if you're going southwest.

turmeric, curry powder, cayenne, and caraway seeds for potatoes is also fun.