Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All of you are my posting friends. Except for one. You know who you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't have an opinion on Moon Slayer but shittalking AA in a forum he's forbidden from responding in is lame and people should stop it.

Well he can choose to respond if he thinks its truly worth the $10 to word vomit all over threads and forums that have consistently told him to shut the gently caress up about his persecution complex.

In fact, getting banned would give him more proof of this mod vendetta against him since it's not like facts or logic are anything he cares about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

All of you are my posting friends. Except for one. You know who you are.

t:mad:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't have an opinion on Moon Slayer but shittalking AA in a forum he's forbidden from responding in is lame and people should stop it.

It's lame that he can't respond here and melt down again like a big dweeb

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept. Who think that the Forums don't need mods, that the Forums shouldn't have any mods, and that having mods makes the Forums worse. Maybe I'm being Poe's Law-ed here but people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops as just universally bad, no question. People who said "hey maybe you're making too big a deal of this" were called "cop lovers," "bootlickers," and "authoritarian types."

Now I personally think that throwing those accusations around is on par with calling someone a pedophile: it's serious and not something you can just say without consequences for someone. I want it to fall under the same general rule as accusing another poster of being a pedophile or alt-right, i.e. you'd better have proof and not just saying it because you disagree. We're discussing it going forward.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the times we live in. It's still pretty disheartening to think that someone out there genuinely believes that me, a volunteer subforum moderator on a once-famous, now obscure internet comedy forum is a figure of authoritarianism and ethnonationalism. I just want people to not have slapfights, not poo poo threads up with low-content posts, and to have a good time.

On the other hand though:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Moon Slayer, take a look at the people defending you and ask yourself how this reflects on you that this is the quality of friends you're making.

Pick posted:

Moon Slayer is one of the most stable and reliable mods with a great community, which Pastry of the Year helps with too. PYF is easily and consistently one of the best subforums with the most positive atmosphere.

I guess I'm not doing that bad after all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept. Who think that the Forums don't need mods, that the Forums shouldn't have any mods, and that having mods makes the Forums worse. Maybe I'm being Poe's Law-ed here but people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops as just universally bad, no question. People who said "hey maybe you're making too big a deal of this" were called "cop lovers," "bootlickers," and "authoritarian types."

Now I personally think that throwing those accusations around is on par with calling someone a pedophile: it's serious and not something you can just say without consequences for someone. I want it to fall under the same general rule as accusing another poster of being a pedophile or alt-right, i.e. you'd better have proof and not just saying it because you disagree. We're discussing it going forward.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the times we live in. It's still pretty disheartening to think that someone out there genuinely believes that me, a volunteer subforum moderator on a once-famous, now obscure internet comedy forum is a figure of authoritarianism and ethnonationalism. I just want people to not have slapfights, not poo poo threads up with low-content posts, and to have a good time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people mostly just like complaining about mods because it's low stakes but makes them feel powerful and insightful

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
the anti-mod as a concept thing is weird because we don't lack for proof of concept for what happens to unmoderated internat spaces. on this very forum even!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

stop jerking off to yourself lol

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

never

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

to be fair every time the mods start looking respectable again we get an attempted forum coup

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Deeply anti-moderation people can go to the moderation-free refuse pile founded by people who got permabanned from SA in 2004. I believe their address is www dot 4chan dot org.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

people mostly just like complaining about mods because it's low stakes but makes them feel powerful and insightful

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

i highly doubt this is one of SA's greatest sagas. maybe one of SA's most mediocre sagas

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

scary ghost dog posted:

stop jerking off to yourself lol

never

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

zakharov posted:

the anti-mod as a concept thing is weird because we don't lack for proof of concept for what happens to unmoderated internat spaces. on this very forum even!

I agree

I like when we as a community work together and cooperate to make this place better and I think it kind of sucks when someone shows up all "gently caress you I wont do what you tell me".

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Sep 20, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

You are 100% correct on this. It's pretty bonkers because...

zakharov posted:

This.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The only time I've ever held a "mods are cops" position is when some C-SPAM moderator decides that it's a good idea to probate people for cheering on counter-police violence in response to police officers gunning down minorities.

That is some cop poo poo.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I’m lolling at the horror hog guy being banned for posting “my horror hog” over and over,

I know, old news, but :same:

This had me cracking up all day at work, some dingus-shaped tulpa that loves spooky like a normal wang loves sexy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e-dt posted:

i highly doubt this is one of SA's greatest sagas. maybe one of SA's most mediocre sagas

Great meaning large or intense
We use it in the melting-down sense

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Spinz posted:

Moon Slayer has a thin skin and is probe heavy. As an outsider to pyf it's obvious they are ambitious (lol) and are attempting to change this forum to something edgier. It's too bad they weren't made a mod of one of the fyad-lites.
We'll see what happens.

Imagine looking in the mirror and seeing this guy looking back at you, lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imo one sad but really common thing I see on the forums is people saying things like "as an outsider to PYF". Like, you're an insider! You paid ten dollars to be an insider! Just because you don't regularly post in a subforum doesn't mean you're on the outside of some clique that's guarding the gates and vigilantly judging outsiders whenever you venture out of your comfort zone.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

vyelkin posted:

imo one sad but really common thing I see on the forums is people saying things like "as an outsider to PYF". Like, you're an insider! You paid ten dollars to be an insider! Just because you don't regularly post in a subforum doesn't mean you're on the outside of some clique that's guarding the gates and vigilantly judging outsiders whenever you venture out of your comfort zone.

I read this four times over trying to grok your meaning, and I still have no idea whether you are being sarcastic or not. This is a powerful post and I love it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Moon Slayer posted:

people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops

Aatrek was never a cop

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Yes, Aatrek hurt children, not dogs

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

vyelkin posted:

The byob spaceship is a good example, everyone can be a friend in byob all you have to do is subscribe :justpost:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

I read this four times over trying to grok your meaning, and I still have no idea whether you are being sarcastic or not. This is a powerful post and I love it.

He isn't being sarcastic. Half the dumb drama poo poo is people being incapable of understanding that CSPAM/D&D/FYAD/Pet Island isn't some monolithic bloc of posters whose identity is defined by antagonizing all other subforums for the glory of their home subforum. Like, it's insane to them to imagine someone would shoot the poo poo with their buds in one of the fyad lites while also posting sincerely about cool video games and cute cat pics. You didn't pledge fealty to PYF when you paid $10 to shitpost here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
As anyone could have predicted the "probate people who keep threatening suicide, give them PMs and tell them to get help" has been interpreted by parts of cspam to be the equivalent of loading the gun and putting it into their hand.

The next 2 months are going to be loving exhausting for the mods.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jeff's right to probate people who are claiming the mods are complicit if someone offs themselves. That's an absurd and disgusting standard.

No one should post here if they're in a mentally vulnerable state. It is NOT a comforting community for someone in that place. Get a therapist, or call the suicide helpline or whatever, but don't look to EVE Online players

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pick posted:

don't look to EVE Online players

Solid advice I have hewn to all my life

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

E:
All the slurs feel icky

Just imagine I posted the permabanned poster meme

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept.......people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops as just universally bad, no question. People who said "hey maybe you're making too big a deal of this" were called "cop lovers," "bootlickers," and "authoritarian types."

Moon Slayer, this attitude has been part of SA since the beginning(although it lightened up for awhile after GBS 2.0 turned the forum into the conversational equivalent of poo poo-throwing chimps). Mods are almost universally shat on until someone that somebody else doesn’t like breaks a rule, then it’s MODS PLZ HELP ME. It sucks hard, because, for the most part, they do a pretty good job for the vast majority of the time. Try not to let it get you down.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If people are unironically complaining about the ban+plat approach to suicidal posts then they deserve to get long probes themselves. The matter has been thoroughly discussed and the current solution is probably the best possible way to deal with it. The knee-jerk anti-mod people should probably be eating probes anyway.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Some of it is just shitheads, but given the current leanings of the forum, some is almost certainly anarchists who are ideologically opposed to hierarchies, and feel anybody enforcing a hierarchy is a cop.

If their ideal (such as an unmodded forum) having publicly, blatantly, failed many times in the past would be the sort of thing to stop them, well, they wouldn't be anarchists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If people are unironically complaining about the ban+plat approach to suicidal posts then they deserve to get long probes themselves. The matter has been thoroughly discussed and the current solution is probably the best possible way to deal with it. The knee-jerk anti-mod people should probably be eating probes anyway.

The idea that making sure someone is allowed to continue to post in cspam much less on a web forum in general when repeatedly talking about suicide is some real broke brain "we are the real heroes" mentality. Likely no one posting on SA is qualified to talk to someone repeatedly expressing suicidal ideation and if they are then they absolutely should not be talking to them over forum posts and PMs unless its to tell them to get professional help from outside SA.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I demand that everything I don't like be banned from discussion on this forum. I'm entitled to this because I spent the equivalent of a McDonald's value meal to post here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I demand that everything I don't like be banned from discussion on this forum. I'm entitled to this because I spent the equivalent of a McDonald's value meal to post here.

richie rich over here trying to flex on the rest of us because they can afford get the large double quarter pounder combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

sir this is a Wendy's drive through