Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zil posted:

Is large pastry like the opposite of small bart?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Another one bites the dust :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pentyne posted:

Speaking of ancient history, what the gently caress happened here?

What is so bad your account gets taken out back and shot in the head?
I believe that was the earliest form of banning in the old old days, before the forums store and long before the leper's colony.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I believe that was the earliest form of banning in the old old days, before the forums store and long before the leper's colony.

I thought you could get your account back but you got a new regdate? Maybe they didn't rereg. Not sure, I wasn't posting here then.
In addition to that though, I know there was the migration from UBB to vBulletin, and there must have been some database corruption in 2002, because stuff before then is spotty, like the two links people were trying to retrieve before, and the 9/11 thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If someone bought the 9/11 regdate option back when it was in the store, would they still have it now or did it disappear when it was taken off the store?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They still have it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I've still seen a few around. It's a purchased date only, as per the lore back then, registration approval was manual and none were done that day.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=247

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It’s pretty neat to see SA actively improving after all these years

:thanks: Jeffrey and astral

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It’s pretty neat to see SA actively improving after all these years

:thanks: Jeffrey and astral

But at what cost...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

But at what cost...

January 2021:
Raw store revenue: $8,922.35
Processing fees: $627.44
Hosting cost: $1,156.97

February 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,301.55
Processing fees: $480.14
Hosting cost: $1,026.24

March 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,394.30
Processing fees: $478.02
Hosting cost: $1,096.97
+

- increased hosting costs for additional database servers

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I see you left out the Goldbelly receipts. For shame, astral and Jeffrey, for shame.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

look, just because american express offered $50 back if you spent $100 on Goldbelly, that does NOT mean anyone used it the maximum 3x, no way

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zil posted:

So Jeff and astral figured out what the strange slowness of the site was being caused by.

yeah, what i've read about the front page articles, it was a pain in the rear end to make even the low effort photoshop phridays articles with no text, and often you had to make the article a few times because the poo poo would crash and eat everything you had made

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I definitely remember hearing about the CMS (such as it is) editor crashing a lot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Didn't that framework also give us the amazing incident earlier in this year where some dogshit article went up on the front page during the interregnum, and it turned out that it was a lovely draft from the early 2000's that the author was trying to delete and ended up just pushing to autopost in 2021, since that was as close as he could get to throwing it out?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Antivehicular posted:

Didn't that framework also give us the amazing incident earlier in this year where some dogshit article went up on the front page during the interregnum, and it turned out that it was a lovely draft from the early 2000's that the author was trying to delete and ended up just pushing to autopost in 2021, since that was as close as he could get to throwing it out?

I'm pretty sure it was intended to be published, it's just that the date for publishing was entered incorrectly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967071&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:patriot:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I love New Goon Day.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It never fails to amaze me how people have kept chomping on that bait for 15+ years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
My favorite one was the guy who ended his j4g with victory to the mahi mahi

He literally first posted in the game specifc thread relatively chill but said he was new and everyone immediately asked if he had introduced himself with a gbs thread and then got really serious and told him to do it right away before he got in trouble.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pentyne posted:

My favorite one was the guy who ended his j4g with victory to the mahi mahi

He literally first posted in the game specifc thread relatively chill but said he was new and everyone immediately asked if he had introduced himself with a gbs thread and then got really serious and told him to do it right away before he got in trouble.

I miss sending j4gs to fyad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
i bet they appreciated it and thought it was really clever

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Regarde Aduck posted:

i bet they appreciated it and thought it was really clever

I dunno, but we thought it was funny after taking all their isk and convincing them to sign up for the forums

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only time i've ever actually seen a j4g guy sent to fyad, all the regulars were really nice to him

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Alaois posted:

the only time i've ever actually seen a j4g guy sent to fyad, all the regulars were really nice to him

Those fuckers

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

lmao

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's almost like fyad is the nice forum and gbs is the hateful one. Hmm!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The best forum is whichever one that matthewtheman is posting in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alaois posted:

Well that's obviously the funniest option.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well that's obviously the funniest option.

It’s like sending a pencil necked dweeb into a biker bar and having them all love it... though probably the reverse of that scenario considering it’s an online forum.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

shelley posted:

no one asked but here’s the HondaRider post where he told sunburnt_aphid to try LSD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=416104261#post416104261

One part of the HondaRider saga that gets skipped over was that at least some of the admins at the time were ready to bury it and ride out the storm, but it got too much attention from FYAD mocking it that they were kind of forced to take action. Someone copied over quotes of the PMs Hondarider leaked into the FYAD thread mocking the whole thing and HondaRider also mentions it in his little meltdown post in the old mod feedback thread. Here's the start of that discussion and it's pretty dismissive of the whole thing up until the admins decided to demod him.

Anyway, looking back at those posts from her, I really hope she got medical help and didn't end up dead somewhere because jesus christ. This post really says it all:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Hello. I am a seasoned troll, but I googled "suboxone seattle" for you because you are going to die. You are slowly killing yourself and leaving a grim record of it on an internet message board populated by people who come here solely to replace the void that no longer being able to watch their comparitively wealthier neighbour play Super Mario has left. I came upon this thread and people seem to speak very highly of the place! You should check it out, because I learned TCC is about responsibility and harm reduction, and a good way to reduce harm, to yourself, would be to stay alive and not dead. I hope you click that link and that it helps, because I would like it if I could, in some small way, help you to not kill yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol48ME_kKUw

Here is a song from Muppet RaceMania to keep your spirits up, it's a video game produced for the Sony PlayStation by Midway Games and Jim Henson Interactive and released in October 2000. In it, players could control 25 different Muppet Characters on a total of 34 tracks. Muppet performers recorded new vocal tracks especially for the game. This is one of those vocal tracks. The song is free now, you used to have to buy the game to listen to it, but now you can listen to it for free.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 21:31 on May 7, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
triticum guzzler was incredibly powerful

aphid however is almost certainly dead, she had one entire leg in the grave by the time the LSD fiasco came up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

triticum guzzler was incredibly powerful

aphid however is almost certainly dead, she had one entire leg in the grave by the time the LSD fiasco came up

Last time she came up someone said she wasn't and they could confirm that but didn't provide receipts

And I want to believe

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Len posted:

Last time she came up someone said she wasn't and they could confirm that but didn't provide receipts

And I want to believe

It sounded pretty *bad* even by TCC standards, but I like hope too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

It sounded pretty *bad* even by TCC standards, but I like hope too

TCC Standards

Watched a "friend" of mine host a crack party with his 2 year old upstairs

quote:

It's a 2 year old kid. She was probably asleep, and she wouldn't understand what was going on if she saw it. What danger is she in that she isn't in when her parents are sober? I think you might be overreacting a bit. Like you said, they seemed like a functional bunch.

quote:

Umm no he could have had a family member take care of it for the duration of the party. He could have hired a babysitter. Just because you have a kid doesn't mean you have to stop smoking crack, you just have to be more responsible about it.

Thankfully that was a tiny minority of posters

quote:

Please call child services. No kid deserves a crackhead for a dad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Len posted:

And I want to believe

I cannot provide receipts, but I have seen a post from her after the event. She basically goes silent for like a year after the LSD thing, pops back up for a couple posts, and vanishes again. The posts she made made it sound like she got help BUT didn't get better, just managed to not die.

So she is less likely the be dead than the LSD story makes her out to be, but not much less

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Len posted:

And I want to believe
She appeared again years after the drama but I doubt she really wants attention called to it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

She appeared again years after the drama but I doubt she really wants attention called to it.

She didn’t die from his advice and I for one am happy to leave it at that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

She didn’t die from his advice and I for one am happy to leave it at that

Yeah same. Her profile says the last post was later and that's good enough for me

I'm going with the assumption she just found other better places to spend time and got herself together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Len posted:

Yeah same. Her profile says the last post was later and that's good enough for me

I'm going with the assumption she just found other better places to spend time and got herself together

Coupons and Deals?