Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US politics thread apparently has had a derail of people posting their first concert for like a dozen pages so I’ve given up on trying to catch up on it, and it’s the kind of forums saga I freaking hate. Goons do it a lot and it’s just endless scrolling through anecdotes from strangers. But goons will always shout you down if you suggest it’s annoying :(

There are whole threads, forums even, for posting pet pics/yelling about food/etc. I come to a thread to read about the topic of the thread. If the topic of the thread is depressing no one is forcing you to read or post in it, go cheer up in the thread for birb pics and come back later!

It’s funny when it’s “this is the corvid thread now” but when it happens naturally, it gets interspersed with people trying to post normally and people arguing about the derail, and turns whole pages unreadable.

Very much agree on this. I had years away from here and then spent time catching up on my favourite threads a year ago and MY GOD do goons feel the need to dissect things sometimes. Maybe it stands out more if you're reading whole chunks once and not involved.

Not exactly a wild saga, I'll grant you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Are people still calling the British poms? With bad teeth?

Disclaimer: I'm British. And I should probably go see a dentist.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

*ahem*

The great British fry up may seem like a simple dish to prepare but actually the complexities and difficulties are easy to underestimate. For example, from the Fry Up Police Facebook group, this is a good fry:

And here's how it could go wrong...

That's before we even begin the debate of appropriate ingredients, which do vary from region to region. Now if you'll excuse me, I intend to make a dirty greasy fry up for myself for brekkie.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

I'm aware this is rapidly heading into the Great Fry-Up Debate again but I'm prepared to throw myself on the probe grenade to say that mash for breakfast is psychopath poo poo and Portland is clearly as inaccurate with fry-ups as it is with everything else it appropriates.

Acceptable forms of potato are fried cubes, scone, rosti, and hash brown if you're prepared to concede ground to the inevitable American cultural hegemony.

In fact, I believe there is a diagram for this.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

the second picture is just blurrier

Eggs shouldn't look like that unless you're half way through eating them.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

None of those are breakfast.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

I'm reporting for duty on the hill. Prepare my grave.

This is breakfast.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, so to make something breakfast to the English all you have to do is add beans?

Ill accept variations of eggs benedict but mostly, yes, it's beans.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna hit you with south of the border faire

Chilaquiles are the universal "poo poo tortillas are going bad/we cooked too many on the grill for last night's pachanga" meal. Red sauce, onions, crispy tortilla, meat, egg and cheese.

Pretty tempted to try this.

Anyway, I went out in search of a nice picture of eggs with soldiers but couldn't find the right one so I'll wait until this conversation is over, go buy some duck eggs and bring the whole drat argument up again with a picture.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Behold, the pinnacle of both British cooking and British engineering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAXdJ4lEWM

It would appear that this is just a prototype that never made it to mass production and I am so sad about this.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

you've got your work cut out for you, cephalopods are wily critters

I read this as willy cutters which means I should probably get some sleep

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

I remember that I think. Was he the guy where people would phone in and just flush their toilet or am I thinking of someone else?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Thanks for this, I remember it from years back. Great stuff.

Also are we getting a live saga because that's also great.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I just used mustard that expired 2 years ago on a sandwich.

Condiments don’t go bad.

Quoting this because it's so true.

I have marmite that went out of date in July 2017. It's still fine.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

If I'm anything to go by, goons do got weird fingats. I've got teeny tiny little hands, but they're great for getting into computers.

This is now the inane hand thread. Tell me about your life lines, mine is short as gently caress.

I also have tiny hands. If I owned a penis then I'd be more concerned but I don't, so...

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

I'm still catching up on some threads from 2018 so would like to make a reference to looong loooonnnng maaaan.

I hope this makes sense to someone.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

ulvir posted:

these loving forums

I'm still reading old threads from 2018 and it's like trying to watch your favourite childhood TV shows from the 80s.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

CATS

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I struggle with remembering if Guy Mann or Guy Goodbody is that poster named Guy that I hate.

Guy Mann is the sleeveless one nobody likes but Guy Goodbody posted lots of strange and not hugely funny pictures in the Funny Pictures thread years back. There was a rule in place at one point that if he posted a picture, he had to explain why it was funny. I don't know if he still posts, I've still not caught up with all of Funny Pictures.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

pentyne posted:

Mad Men has a good line about the 'younger' generation not knowing how to drink, the implication being that real successful men drank because it was respectable and always kept themselves 1 drink away from embarrassing themselves but still constantly drunk.

I think this has some accuracy if you go back at least to Shakespeare's time, I'm sure I read that clean drinking water was harder to come by in London so drinking weak ale all day was safer generally.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Beer got taxed and levied though, and there were public cisterns, natural springs, and wells. What resources do you need to walk to the river your town is built around which you're pretty sure is fine because you don't know about germ theory?

Have you heard about the beautifully clean water of the river Thames in the 16th century? Fairly sure you wouldn't have needed to be an expert to know that it wasn't exactly safe to drink.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Me, catching up reading this thread on page 407: Shame I'll be too late to join in the cat chat.

Me, on page 414: well, huh.

I will proudly eat a kitty sixer because I've never had one and always miss out on the kitty sixer threads.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Ironhead posted:

Kind of saga related, but when did the joke prob become a thing? I remember back in the day it was taken seriously, because the next mod to punish you would look at your rap sheet and would ramp up your punishments.

I'm curious about this, especially after I spent time explaining the concept of a kitty sixer to my partner and thinking the same thing.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Len posted:

I swear he made a post like "I just want someone to sit her down and ask why she's dating Leonardo DiCaprio, he's clearly just using her" but I've never been able to find it and might even be mixing up posters

Why wouldn't anyone want to date Leonardo Di Caprio, that's the real question here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

do people realise

Gonna stop you right there, buddy