Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Brute Squad posted:

I have a distinct memory of Shine lifting a couch over his head. but I don't remember why.

Im a bit hazy myself, but I think it was a goofy challenge thread, either to discover and photograph what's been lost under your couch all these years or simply prove you could pick it up. Naturally Shine is paged/shows up and just lifts his over his head like it was made of styrofoam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not necessarily a saga, but funny, feel-good thread one of the historians here might recall.

Goon has a photo of his grandpa or great-grandpa in military uniform. It's b&w, scuffed and creased. They ask if someone with photoshop could clean it up and colorize it, so they could print it out as a gift.

Goons being goons, a number of them "fix" the photo in hilarious ways. OP is a good sport and finds it funny, and eventually someone does hook them up with a bangin' touch up job.

If anyone remembers that and can dig up a link, it was quite amusing (pics are probably lost to waffleimages, though; I remember looking at it at a job I left in 2012).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jippa posted:

I like how he capitalises XCOM and DM but not the first letters of sentences. Definitely makes the wall of text enjoyable and easy to read.

I gotta admit, it's a rare occasion that I look at a wall'o'text post and literally think "nope, tl;dr", but that one got me. Also because I dont know wtf XCOM is, so I was lost from the get-go.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

luxury handset posted:

when the kool aid man arrives, something good is about to happen

A drywall contractor is gonna get a fat paycheck?

Those ads were funny and great when I was a kid, but now that I'm grown and struggling to find housing in this poo poo economy, all I can picture is the parents crying off camera "how are we gonna afford these repairs, honey? We should've bought the kids some Sunny D. Or even The Purple Stuff."

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Sep 25, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Len posted:

Ya know I never wanted to know what reports I had against me but I can't stop wondering. Thanks for that

Didn't occur to me to check mine, as an IK with the ability to do that, until you mentioned it.

I have one report. It is from me (when I just got my buttons and wanted to see how probing someone worked). I guess I either don't suck as a poster, or am completely ignored/inconsequential as far as the forums go. I'll take either. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Who What Now posted:

IKs can see the report forum now?

No, I can't see the mod forums and dont get reports, but I have a button that shows how many reports a user got and what they were.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

As I recall:

• Built on a swamp
  • Load-bearing drywall
  • A window at the bottom of the stairs positioned to guarantee you fall out of the house if you should fall down.
  • Contractors refused to certify the house as safe, so he became one to self-certify.
  • Melted siding because the grill was too hot

In addition, I seem to recall a thermostat placed in such a way to render it useless (right by a window or HVAC vent or somesuch) and 58 bajillion electrical outlets in the kitchen.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

For the love of Pete, I've said this before and will say it once again:

No one doxxed or cyberbullied Muerte. The guy posted a link to a YT video in the thread that gave his full IRL name and his FB page. Some people (full disclosure: myself included) followed him on FB, but didn't interact there. AFAIK, the most anyone did was post updates here on what he was up to once he'd bailed on the thread. I don't recall seeing anyone harassing him on FB.

Nobody touched the poop; some folks gave updates on it. There was no doxxing/internet detective poo poo going on. And as has been already said, most of what poo poo us goons gave him in that thread was genuine "dude this is a bad idea" well before anyone started pissing in the well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

That post was made in like 2000 or 2001

What were they going on about? That SA had ads all of a sudden? That somehow in a year or less (SA forums started in 2000, no?) the quality of members/posting had radically declined?

For all those words, I can't figure out their point. It ends with "you had a choice" and I have no idea what the alternate choice was supposed to be.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Dabir posted:

I mean... why is it a grenade? What do grenades have to do with anything?

I honestly want to know the answer to that, too. Never really thought about it until it just got brought up here.

Edit: ^^^ huh, well ain't that a thing. Still, why a grenade?

I'm also dying of curiosity as to how much the forums cost God Emperor Jeffrey to buy. Obviously none of our business, but I have no clue how one evaluates a site's worth and couldn't begin to even guess how many figures were on the check.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Oct 12, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Had to be up at 4am for work today and saw 63 new posts itt. Dang, what happened now?!

And lo, it was that A BIRD had flown in to visit!

Good to see you, dont be a stranger! We all missed you. <3

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jefveve

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Let's pull up and nicely dovetail the food/politics chat:

I know someone mentioned it a few pages ago, but I think it got lost in the breakfast derail --- when goons ordered a pizza delivered to Biden's house right before he was going to be tapped to be Obama's running mate. I fondly remember F5-ing the hell out of that thread at work.

If anyone can dig that up, I'd be much obliged. It was one of the first sagas I was actually present for.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thank you kindly! :tipshat:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mods and IKs can only take action in the subforums to which they've been assigned; we can't really "break ranks".

Much to my dismay; I've just skimmed 42 pages of Lowtax's posting history, and he never came over to PYF, so I can't have fun if it is indeed Open Lowtax Season. It's all on GBS, Games, and YOSPOS, if the last two wanna dig way back to hit him with a sixer.

edit: oh, and FYAD too

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Nov 16, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Well, dang, thanks! After clicking "next page" for 20 pages and just seeing him barf all over the same GBS thread, must've missed that.

edit: aaaand done.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Nov 16, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

astral posted:

There's no need to pore over posting history when you can use search:

Well I'll be dipped. I was just telling my husband the other day "Y'know, it's sad but awesome that the only thing that's improved in HellYear 2020 are my forums, what with Jeff buying them and having actual competent coders (etc etc)". Apparently search works properly, too?! My mind, she a'splodes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

In the eternal words of moms (the original mod) everywhere:

Don't make me turn this car around.

Seriously, I know some other forums mods have put in place "this is not the place for politics chat" rules. I don't wanna have to do that, because sometimes a brief derail is cool and interesting. And I want to be the Cool Aunt mod, not the Stern Mom mod.

But at least three of my favorite bookmarked threads have been page upon page of political/ideological slapfights in the last 24 hours, with zero content pertinent to the thread, and reports are rolling in.

If you wanna argue, we've got D&D and C-SPAM for that. Or take it to PMs.

But let's keep PYF free of this poo poo. I, and I suspect many people, come to PYF as an escape from all that crap; we just want funny pictures, amusing sagas, great SA quotes, reminiscing about the decade of your choice, laughably bad tattoos, cool obsolete tech... stuff that cheers you up a little at the end of a hard day of soul-crushing work, a horrible news cycle, and 2020 in general.

Please and thank you, keep this poo poo out of PYF.

Regards,
The Management

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Only tangentially related to the Martin Random saga, but I was just re-reading the fecal lasagna story. One of replies quoted looks like this:

quote:

Sailor Scout Chibi_Neko_Wai_Bento_Perdita_san came out of the closet to say:

Sup fellow Sailor Moon avatar guy :D

Did we used to not have character limits on usernames, or did they somehow get that privilege or game the system? I can only imagine some of the wild usernames back then, if it was the former.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

astral posted:

It appears their old username was "Chibi_Perdita". The rest was likely added, as above. It is also possible that an administrator gave them a name that long, which is/was discouraged.

I doubt it was added as above, since Martin Random's reply was "ugh, I don't even watch that show, someone gave me this av", and I can't see someone taking the time to edit in a new wacky name just for that. But we now know he's a bit kookoo for cocoa puffs, so who knows. Thanks astral.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Knobs in the front, knobs in the back... pff, I dont even have a range, losers. :smug:

I'm homeless :smith:

Yeah SA-Mart isn't usually a mine for sagas, but when it's good, it's good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Inceltown posted:

byob has mandatory chill, pyf does it for the love of it :colbert:

And that's why I love being a newly minted mod here.

(Seriously, I get PMs from people apologizing for shitposting and asking for sixers. Y'all rock. Or are masochists. Either way, I'm cool with the chillness of our lil' corner of the forums.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Seems like it would smarter to just not shitpost in the first place

More like oldshitpostless

(Cripes that was lame. Somebody help me out here)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

what have the creeps and con artists in bread and roses been up to lately?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I care because sometimes you just need a shot of other people's drama.

Yeah, but this is "SA's Greatest Sagas", not "Offsite's Greatest Douchebags". Let's steer away from importing offsite drama, please?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Idiots on social media already exists :shrug:

:hmmyes:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

This an interesting (and horrifying) derail, and one which absolutely merits discussion. But this thread ain't the place for it, guys. :(

Edit: that said, the exchange between Pick and Edgar Allen Ho made me :lol:

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Dec 6, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Heath posted:

Because I am a shithead killjoy I actually looked it up and Corningware did not have a line called Home Select

In addition: I intensely dislike being a shithead killjoy, but Corning doesn't even do flatware --- they're about glass and ceramic kitchenware. If they had said Oneida, I'd have bought it. :(

As a palate cleanser, Pastry asked this morning about a user's av over in my PYF Username/Av thread, and someone magically had it saved and posted it in, I think, about 2 hrs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yo I'm JD, a PYF mod
Y'all best treat me, like I'm yer god

[that wasn't a threat or anything I just wanted to share in the fun rap derail]

Edit: gently caress, of course right after I posted that I come up with:

Best kneel before me
Like I'm General Zod
Cuz the name's JD
And I'm here to mod!

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Dec 22, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

Did anyone post the newest ongoing saga

Because you have to click this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957433

Groverhouse part2: Grover truk

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, because that is the pro-est of clicks. Don't sleep on this one, folks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

The Kheldragar - Call Now Lovedump I'll leave the explanation to somebody else because oof

This is one of those threads i knew of, but never took the time to read.

I got thru the 1st page and then was like "wait there's SEVEN pages of 'no you are the cutest anime let's make pretend we're kissing' you gotta be loving kidding."

If you want to skip ahead, they get found on page 5.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Turns out it's just mostly gone.

Showing up fine for me? :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

(I know that there was a recent poster who was intended to have special coding to only be able to see PYF, but that seems to have ended very badly before it could be implemented.)

Anyone got more on this? While PYF's my beat, I don't recall ever hearing about that. Could they only see PYF, or only post here?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Well those were the dreariest, most tedious few pages I've felt the need to read. My eyes are as glazed as a Krispy Kreme donut.

Enough with the CSPAM bad/good, COVID, and psychoanalyzing posters. Take it to PMs, make a thread about it elsewhere, I don't care. But this thread should be about sagas, not slapfights*.

*The exception to this being infrateal (sp?) vs heebie gbs, because that "fight" was hilarious.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Phy posted:

I'm worried that I'm gonna come across as a scold for this but the late 2000s era "gay is a synonym for annoying"-style casual homophobia didn't age super well

I know it was a lot of places at the time, and that particular joke got held up in a (much) earlier PYF Forums Quotes thread as the pinnacle of the whole thing, but it's p fuckin creaky now

e: dunno what policy is on quoting slurs so I'm spoilering that particular one but it should be pretty obvious even if you don't mouse over

You make a good point, friend, no scold there. I kinda forgot about that one (which, admittedly, still makes me laugh because the set-up is just so drat good; a cringey laugh); I always remember the homemade CD story.

edit:

Antivehicular posted:

Did the Darfur War Orphan challenge ever produce anything actually funny?

No, it started with earnest comparisons with how a goon's problem was nothing next to a starving African child, then "but [post 1st world problems]" Then it became a super stupid rule because goons would just start every post with "I'm not a Darfur war orphan, but" and that was that.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Mar 29, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You'll have to ask one of the current mods for that, my blue bird is just honorary c: Submit a report! Reports that are just thread title requests are the best reports :lol:

I gotcha, fam. :)

And the BIRD speaks truth, I like those reports!

Although my favorite during my tenure so far is still the guy who reported himself for posting goatse, even though he'd edited it out a minute later after thinking better on it. I don't think that anyone even saw it. Wanted to ruffle his hair and say "oh, you little scamp!"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Y'all have been keeping this AGP derail fairly chill, and I appreciate it! S'why I'm happy to be a PYF mod, most of you guys are some awesome "customers". I turn a blind eye to a lot of derails in PYF because they are often interesting and/or amusing.

That said, this really ain't the thread for it. I'm not sure where the heck that thread is (suggestions are welcome), but I'd like to echo what BIRD was saying: that this thread should be a place for stuff like "tell me about The Naked King of Shoreditch, I missed that one" and less intra-forum slapfights* and deep arguments over tetchy subjects.

*And if you want to start one, you best bring receipts. SA receipts, not "so-and-so said something on an offsite/Discord". Putting my foot down on that one, folks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

pentyne posted:

The whole issue of "offsites" and "doxxing" seem to have gotten pretty ambiguous in general over the last few years from what was originally a immediate hard probe/ban. Those SA rules might need to be updated or reaffirmed in general.

A good point, one which I agree with and will bring up in our sinister shadowy cabal of overlords mod forums. (I'm not being sarcastic, that is a legit good point)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lungfish.

A 100,000 hour probe can still read the forums, so it’s kind of fun to imagine someone like Guy Mann lurking and just gettin’ mad, unable to post their hot takes.

The worst/best part (for me as a mod, anyway) is that you can still file reports when probed. I'll come home from my exhausting day job, check in here and see a handful of reports from PYF. "Aww gently caress, what now --- oh, they're all from [Guy Mann alt]. Oh. Trash!"

So yeah, your imagined scenario is pretty much on the mark.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Harrow posted:

Neither, weirdly. They're always posts that don't actually require any moderation but the reports are written like totally earnest "this poster did something wrong" reports.

That alone isn't odd, a majority of reports are people reporting posts that we don't actually need to do anything about. It's just, well, sometimes it's Guy Mann :v:

That's p much what the PYF reports are, too. Nothing I would take action on to begin with, and when I see them coming from "of Science!" I just roll my tired-assed eyes and send 'em to the dumpster.

Edit: eagerly awaiting seeing 573 new reports when I wake up at 4am tomorrow

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Zil posted:

So there is a dumpster of all unactioned reports? Like are they gone forever or just put aside as not active?

They get filed as Resolved [we took action], Misc [eh, this didn't warrant action but we'll keep an eye on the situation], or Bullshit [Guy Mann et. al's stuff]. They're not gone forever, it's just a way of sorting the probation/ban queue. Me saying "the dumpster" was just a figure of speech.