Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hiking Across America is one of the ones that occasionally spontaneously pops into my head, a goon tried to walk across America and didn't even make it out of the park he started in because he brought nothing to eat except gorp even though experienced hikers had repeatedly told him to bring actual food otherwise he could literally die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Since it’s going to come up pretty soon, here’s the link to the thread for Moments: A Game of Consequences.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486052&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It’s basically the most successful CYOA that’s ever been held on the forums, where goons guided a character through their life. It was set up as an ARG where the op “found an old disc” with the game on it.

From SAclopedia:

I should mention that I'm pretty certain this was a real game because I played it as a kid. I haven't read the thread and don't know how much of the thread might have been embellishing on the game itself, but the game was definitely real.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

OP was riffing on a real game called Alter Ego, you can find it if you google (including modern browser versions of it that cost money)

Moments itself, however, is not real, iirc OP admitted they made the entire thing up top-to-bottom

Right, yeah, that's what it was called.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Max Headroom and Pulp Fiction references in 1982

I felt the same way as you but I am pretty sure it is a false memory from having read the thread and forgotten

No someone else pointed out that it was riffing on a game called Alter Ego, which is what I was thinking of (but I had forgotten the name). I have distinct memories of playing Alter Ego as a kid but it's clearly a different thing from "Moments" which was invented for the thread.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imo one sad but really common thing I see on the forums is people saying things like "as an outsider to PYF". Like, you're an insider! You paid ten dollars to be an insider! Just because you don't regularly post in a subforum doesn't mean you're on the outside of some clique that's guarding the gates and vigilantly judging outsiders whenever you venture out of your comfort zone.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Everybody look at how :wrong: this chump is

drat this cat is cool as hell

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm glad Bird is back :unsmith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jorb is time cube

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Even if it's electric, you are still reaching across all the steam and heat and food smells to adjust the temperature :psyduck:

Controls at the back just seem crazy, not sure I have ever seen them in the wild.

Every cheap apartment stove I've ever used has been an electric stove with the knobs at the back, and that's the kind of living arrangement where you don't have the option of replacing your stove with one that's more ergonomically utilitarian.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Eat rear end, smoke grass, mod sass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

PJ got a lot of poo poo for their posts. Dunno why that got under so many people's skin.

PJ went down the Covid rabbithole harder than anybody else on the forums. Back in like January 2020 they were posting about how China was a depopulated wasteland because clearly Covid was so deadly that it had killed one billion people and the zombielike survivors were just days away from shambling across the borders into neighbouring countries spreading this deadly plague everywhere they went and wiping out all of humanity. This was all based on something like a couple youtube videos and somebody analyzing how many cars were in Wuhan hospital parking lots on Google Earth satellite photos. It was legitimately weird.