Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

There is still plenty of old style internet crazy around, potentially more than ever before. For example the F+ podcast has been talking about that stuff for like a decade and are still coming up with more content than they can manage to cover.

So much so that there's a second podcast which shares a lot of the same group of people, extra credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

of note is his last post is in a PYF thread about video games (because he's banned from the Games subforum) and it's him defending Fallout 4 for, if you choose your player character to be female, describing your character as a former lawyer, but if your pc were male you'd be a veteran soldier

ah yes, the classic americana stereotype of the 1950s where all wives were lawyers. truly biting satire.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wait, what? Okay, firstly, since when do you get permabanned for a banme, and secondly, since when does a banme stop you ever making a new account?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

I'm with you on this. Maybe we don't need a reboot, but the links should be removed if not

Not everyone has archives, so if the stuff's not goldmined people will still need to ask.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God what a better time it was when people just fantasized about becoming cyborg dragons on a random island they were somehow going to aquire instead of fueling an alt-right conspiracy.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

My favourite SS13 saga is the discovery of fractal foods. Some folks realized you could make a sandwich with six foods and then bake it as a cake. They then discovered that if you then cut the cake into sixths, you could make a sandwich out of it that exponentially increased the name of the ingredients in the sandwich. This was repeated until it killed people’s clients and it was dubbed the crashwich.

My favourite was the chemistry issue that the people programming the drat thing couldn't figure out how the gently caress it worked and had to just lock down a bunch of stuff.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

promising carl posted:

Somebody tried starting a QCS chat thread, which was summarily gassed and everybody in the thread got a sixer.

including the mod who gave out the sixers because he also posted there

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

Did the Darfur War Orphan challenge ever produce anything actually funny?

The point wasn't to be funny, it was to try to put things into perspective. I think the idea was it would help to avoid some level of "woe is me, please come validate me" threads in favour of people who were actually looking for help, becuase you'd already undercut the idea that you were the most unfortunate person in the world in your OP. I really doubt that it ever honestly improved things. It is possible that one time someone was going to post a pity party thread and then thought better of it when they wrote the orphan comparison part, but I think it's overwhelmingly more likely to have dissuaded someone from seeking help because they didn't feel like they "deserved it" in comparison to a war orphan.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

the website where the dude wrote a shitton of stories where Roy Orbison was completely wrapped in cling film, I don’t write things off as “too much effort to be a bit” anymore.

Wait that was a bit? Not a sincere festish thing?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think that's what detransitioning is at all, from my understanding a depressing amount of trans people simply can't take the immense amount of bullshit they have to deal with just to exist, give up and go back to living in quiet misery under their incorrect, socially-enforced gender

No, there are people who genuinely transistion to another gender and ultimately find that they aren't really comfortable with that gender identity and either become nonbinary or return to identifying as the gender they were assigned at birth. I know someone who detransistioned.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I also know someone who detransitioned for the reasons I mentioned.

I think that both of our definitions fit the bill TBH, but mainly my point was that it doesn't really seem to have anything to do with getting a foot in the door for TERFy opinions

The foot in the door is that if anyone, even if it's one in one million, transistions and then finds out that they were "wrong" (even though the one example I know doesn't regret transistioning or the surgery they got), TERFs will point to it forever as proof that THE TRANS AGENDA is trying to PRESSURE people to transition EVEN IF THEY'RE NOT REALLY TRANS, and the only solution is to never acknowledge the other nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine people who transitioned. It's not good logic, but I know a lot of people are touchy about detransitioning because they know it's a narrative that assholes love to bring up as some kind of counterpoint to trans identity.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Some post the 1950s recipe book with weird jello meals that were hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-PMS3tBXs

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I bookmarked this image years ago. I'm not qutie sure why- it's not as if it's really very useful as a reaction image, given how specific it is. But now, at long last, my choice pays off.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
what exactly was the coup part? no one's explained that bit

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

KM managed to make the forums blowing up over this image into getting a new subforum, TGRS and Lowtax made her a mod.

Wait why would anyone blow up over that image? It seems like a pretty straightforward joke to me? :confused:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

As far as attacks, yes. Obviously not as far as damage done

What, do they confuse people's ankles for badgers or something? I had a couple of long haired minis for nearly half my life, and even thought they were well loved lapdogs they would get fierce when it came to rabbits so clearly the hunting dog instincts were pretty ingrained. Although I guess I did get nipped by their dad a bunch of times when we were dogsitting their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

I think they're attempting to do the same thing cats have figured out where even if the threat is ten times your size you can still neutralize it by the sheer audacity of your aggression.

Oh, one of my minis absolutely did that, she would bark and posture at way bigger dogs and they'd usually back down because she was much more worked up than them.

:sigh: She never really stopped being neurotic even though she was given love and socialization her whole life and her brother who grew up in the exact same environment was completely chill.