Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thanks, Len. I missed you guys, too. :) I will probably not be posting a huge amount, but I still feel I came to owe the PYF community a lot over the years.
You went so far above and beyond what anyone would ask of an admin on a discussion forum, opening your home to someone in need, that it's impossible to say you owe anyone here anything. It's good to have you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Wasn't that Kyoon, or were they both doing that? It's been a while but I swear I remember one or the other getting called out for that poo poo by the admins years ago.
It was Dare, as far as I remember Kyoon never did that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I'm particularly fond of ZergFluid claiming this is some kind of conspiracy of older women to make dudes gently caress us instead of loving kids, because if there's one thing a woman wants in a partner, it's pedophilia.
How long has this guy been permabanned? I don't remember hearing about him before.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Goons have a long history of not understanding the ADA at all, so Seraph taking that and running with it to the point of absurdity is perfectly in character.
His lawyers are going to be annoyed when they find out what kind of ramps he's mad about.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

haven't seen that shade of yellow since my grandpa's house
I guess now we know what made him so crazy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Garrand posted:

how do you pronounce that? just like Smith, or like Smithy, or like with the I like in smile?
Smuh-yuh-thee

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So we beat off, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the rear end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Rich Playboy And Debutante Plow Unsuspecting Amateur

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VinylonUnderground posted:

Given the amount of irony poisoning in this thread, I am putting myself at *extreme* risk, but you and everyone else should watch "I Claudius".
It's very good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Make a forum that's just Sleeveless, fishmech, jastiger, Seraph, and BotL
The Pendantry [sic] Playhouse

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

he gets banned all the time

only admins can permaban
Unless they changed this, any mod can queue a perma. Just needs an admin to approve it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

"I've actually been lurking for years, and finally registered an account to say,"
This rap sucks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

FAU's doxxed dog
I forgot this was me. I have never owned a dog.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Oh man this thread is great. I was sad when it was closed.
I goldmined it (I think I actually purgatoried it) because it had been like 50 pages of drama and arguing about griefing, but that was a few years ago. I don't see any reason people couldn't start another one. With everyone stuck inside for a year I have to assume people have new stories.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's mango and Frankenstein

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kchama posted:

Also Cuntellectual has constantly claimed that FAU was the one who changed her name to that awful name, but I have no confirmation. If so, FAU did a bad.
Shortly after I became admin I started a name change thread in GBS and changed like 200 names. I made some good and some deliberately bad and some were just garbage I threw in because it was about 200 names in like two days. I'm surprised anyone kept theirs, and it's fine with me if people didn't like that one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenkaris posted:

Dammit goons I am searching and failing to find the hilariously terrible video game goon project song, help me
I'm apparently the guy who knows about this, because I posted about it in the last greatest sagas thread. Someone posted in Games years ago looking for artists, coders, and basically everything for his proposed MMO "Crimson Haze." A goon wrote a terrible song to be used as the main theme. It was hosted on tindeck for a while, then someone else uploaded it to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYzAUSyggM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who was the guy who wrote parodies of the 50 Foot Ant-style GBS stories, where he was constantly hip checking people and throwing them into trash cans?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

6 hour youtube video essay on dialectical materialism in Vvardenfell, link in description for $20 mug that says "Slavoj Vivek".
The ending of the words is IDEOLOGY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah, its probably the sort of post youd want someone you know to read over and go "hey this is a bit much". for some people there's an issue where you just get emotional wires crossed or you ruminate way too much over something you should probably just set down and walk away from. the core thing of 'maybe lets not kick someones rear end for liking a mediocre bit of media' is good tho, i think its not that different from the impulse that lead to creating the new wrestling forum where you dont have to get browbeaten over your muscle man soap operas and poo poo
IIRC the story behind it is a bit sad. Shortly before or after he stopped being a mod, Matoi posted about how going through some hosed-up poo poo and not sleeping right for about six months. When real life starts to break down, it tends to spill into whatever your hobbies are. But that's life. Sometimes you just lose your mind for a while.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do the laws of war consider Groverhaus a valid target
No, it's used as a hospital now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Great content though!
I love content

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Roth posted:

Hello new nightmare infection to keep me up at night whenever I feel slightly sick
Basically nobody in the US gets it, even from undercooked pork. Which isn't to say you should undercook your pork, but here's what the CDC found about a decade back:

quote:

During 2008–2012, the mean annual incidence of trichinellosis in the United States was 0.1 cases per 1 million population, with a median of 15 cases per year.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6401a1.htm

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

It's a throwback to medieval/early modern european peasant morality. In rural France, if a husband was 'henpecked' eventually the whole community would gather around their house and harass them until he beat his wife.

Patriarchy does and always has required incredible and ugly social pressure to maintain.
I think this still happens on Dr. Phil

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Really, the goon should be running from the reddit user.
Goon and a reddit user part sadly at the airport. "We'll always have Fark."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It makes webs in your pants
And you have to feed it ants

Look out!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you let go of your shame regarding your weird hobby you won't feel so defensive of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, twitch is a wretched den of perverts. Even if you're just a regular Boston guy, they will make you dress as a catboy and do a hot tub stream. It's all part of a larger problem.
Can't believe they'd do that to my good friend Ben Affleck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

Just a taste of the discourse
The martyred pedophile poo poo's loving exhausting. It just never seems to die out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously loving gas the vtuber thread already. I doubt there's a single admin who likes it or even particularly understands it, and you're the ones who will be left holding the bag. You can gas it now, when it's already a lovely thread, or you can do it after more creep poo poo happens and you have to make a QCS post explaining why you didn't gas it already.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There certainly weren't any mechanisms in place to screen for this stuff when I was an admin, and I doubt there is now. What even would they be? Everyone's making it up as they go along. I know I was, it was literally just guesswork and hoping poo poo worked out. This place never had real leadership, and the flat structure for admins and mods just results in inaction and status quo bias. I talked about all this stuff when I stepped down. It doesn't seem like these structural problems have been addressed, and I'm not smart enough to even know where to start.

Who What Now posted:

Wait there's a double secret admin forum???
There is an admin forum, but I don't recall there ever being discussion about making people mods happening there. It was barely used, and mostly for technical stuff IIRC. We certainly didn't move any threads about that stuff to it when I was an admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

To my knowledge the mod making process involves making a thread (usually called [x] for mod of [forum]) where people talk about prospects, and when they decide to make someone a mod they hide that thread in the admin forum. That way you can't see who was against making you a mod (or vise-versa)

e: sorry if this sounds condescending, just wanted to bring you up to speed on the current process in case it's changed
No, it's good. All I can post about it was what I remember, and I stopped being an admin almost two years and a different owner ago.