Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Jiru posted:

Some blurry knowledge, so maybe someone else can fill in the gaps:

"Lost fingat" was a (or some) goon(s) devising increasingly deranged ways to get rid of a non working console, I think it was used as a toilet at some point? He'd post pictures of each step. So in the end he used something to make it explode, but he miscalculated and blew up his hand. The title is the mispelled text message he presumably sent from the ER. I think he later admitted to making some or all of it up.

It was a Dreamcast and amongst other indignities, he put it in a toilet, shat on it, then threw the poo poo-filled console out his bathroom window into a bush. Then he blew off his finger.

There were photos of everything and i believe he died injure his finger, but probably not actually to the point of losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Wayne Gretzky's balls are worth reposting, purely down to the effort he put into it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the yikesaroo thread or a different one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938817

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Moon Slayer posted:

I've got a better idea. Remember the thread where those two posters whose names I'll never be able to spell had an insult-off?

Everyone who owns Guy Mann ITT for the next 24 hours will get a cute kitty sixer later in the week.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Microsoft Flight Sim uses Bing Maps satellite and street views to generate a 3D model of the earth. No one had to hand craft the Haus it just got auto populated. It’s cool to be able to take aerial tours of famous natural and manmade landmarks, and also horrifyingly dystopian.

They got groverhaus right and yet Buckingham Palace became a towerblock

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I never found her too bad,to be honest.

I wouldn't want to sit next to her on a long bus ride, but there were (and still are) a lot more bad posters who were as tedious and with the bonus of also having terrible opinions.

But i don't feel bad about her perma because she's almost certainly using an alt and still posting. After all, remember the time her account was restricted to posting in the gas chamber? That didn't stop her from posting.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lockpicks are actually handy though. People in offices lose keys all the time, or throw out the old ones when they change locks but oops, turns out the lock for this door wasn’t changed and we really need to get in there now. Or the old “where the hell is the tiny key for my desk” dillema.

While that is true, a screwdriver or a swiss-army penknife would be more useful than about half the poo poo he was carrying.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Crime on a Dime posted:

to be clear. this guys job according to the photo he posted was IT support for residential students

So, in fact nothing he was carrying apart from his phone and nametag were of any use to his job?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wonder how much money could have been made from this place with better business acumen from the guy running out. Pay-to-Post forums were never going to be huge but back when SA was relevant to internet culture, surely the site’s name and brand could’ve been used to expand into SA-affiliated podcasts, YouTube channels, streams, etc

I've always found the wasting of potential so frustrating.

It's a low-maintenance site with a very loyal userbase with an average age in the late 30's, covering a very wide demographic. It would have taken very little effort to capitalise on this - without degrading the user experience and generate significantly more revenue.

Or, he could have taken the Greed is Good philiosphy and sold us out for a seriously big paycheck when big companies were paying silly money for sites. I believe at one point we were the 12th largest English-speaking forum in the world (in terms of regular visitors).

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Phlegmish posted:

There's a stickied thread in GBS where people can post ideas for the front page (and perhaps other things as well):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943534

The glory days aren't coming back, but I know that we can do better than this

Having just been shat on by a mod in QCS for making an effortpost suggestion to improve the place, I'm not going to waste any more time trying to help. (I naively thought it would be different from when lowtax was in charge and ignoring help)

But good luck to those who try.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Danaru posted:

You got lightly roasted for saying.we should change the SA logo in case airport security decided to light up a goon wearing an SA shirt.

I didn't mind that part. But I am salty about it being closed without any real discussion.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

mysterious frankie posted:

You'd probably get pushback either way, but you set yourself up for clowning here.

Yep. Got myself entirely to blame there. Like I said, stupidly naive.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Pushback is normal and good though, so stop with the sighing, woe is me, I was stupidly naive, stuff. You have to defend your ideas in active conversation against concerns and preferences the people who share the site might have. Acting like the OP is the final word on the matter, then getting offended when it doesn't immediately win hearts and/or results in sarcastic dismissal, is dumb.

Can't defend your idea if the thread gets closed by a mod, can you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

After reading the thread over I can say you write like Frasier pushed a pencil too far into his ear, and people were alternately dunking on you or just saying no. This was a mercy killing.

Fair enough.