Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Close Coupons. :colbert:

We have always been at war with Coupons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Coffee And Pie posted:

So uh

How about that naked king of shoreditch?

He is not afraid.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the thing is, by all appearances, kentaro miura is not a man who thinks pedophilia is extremely cool and good; the protagonist of Berserk is a child sexual abuse survivor, and it's handled almost weirdly realistically. his assault is portrayed as a completely horrifying thing done to him by a monster and taken dead seriously, and it informs his characterization very heavily through the whole story in ways that can be summarized as "poo poo hosed him up bad."

like, berserk is dark as all hell and has some rough fuckin content in it, but very little of it is handled in ways that give me any kind of inclination that the dude's actually a bad person vs. being a good person who's writing a story about bad poo poo. and the times it does step on rakes, it... well, steps on rakes. you can see what the dude was trying to do with it, he just didn't exactly land where he wanted to.

and then that goddamn naked child manga happened, and now i'm not even sure what the gently caress to think, because it seems insane to me that the same person could write Guts' backstory and characterization and then turn around and be like "hell yeah naked children." i feel like a lot of the people defending it were kind of in a similar boat to me on this, they just decided the answer was to dig deep into his artistic influences and try to puzzle out WTF he was trying to do, as opposed to throwing it out the goddamn window because if you have to work that hard to puzzle out his intent, his intent probably doesn't fuckin' matter all that much.

Okay, I don't think you are defending the pedo manga, I want to make that clear. But you have to understand that goons are necessarily skeptical of people trying to 'contextualize' pedophiles. Posting as many words as you have in defense of the one of the works of a pedophile, whatever the context, is going to activate some goons' pedo senses. This is especially true as this thread is not here to discuss Berserk. I would say, if you are going to defend Berserk, especially outside of a Berserk thread, keep it short. "I still like Berserk, but that pedo manga was something else, and it makes me wonder about the author" expresses pretty much the same thing, but doesn't make other goons wonder why you are putting so many words into defending a pedophile.

Just some friendly advice. Take or leave it as you see fit.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Some people just don't delete that sort of information for whatever reason. People still having that information isn't as troubling as people looking it up in the first place.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ChubbyChecker posted:

what on earth

I have no idea what this reaction is for. Plenty of people never delete bookmarks. The fact that some goons still have his address bookmarked is far less disturbing than the fact that they had it bookmarked in the first place.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CannonFodder posted:

Richard,
It seems I have underestimated your ability to fail. For that, I apologize. Not to you, but to the people who would enjoyed seeing me tearing your little world apart just that much more. It's a shame, really, that you ignored all of my warnings. Perhaps, if you had just a few brain cells left that weren't circling the bowl, you would have realized how pointless and counterproductive this whole thing was and quit a long time ago. This little venture of yours has failed on every level. On a personal level, for example, have you noticed that the very people you profess to hate have infested your site? They are utterly devoid of reason, their minds deluded with lies and ignorance. Their perceptions are hard-coded in a language they will never understand. Yet, these empty shells have flocked here, and what's even more amusing about it is, they emulate you. They've taken the worst things about you, namely your personality and humor, and twisted it into something far more repugnant than even you are capable of being. One bad joke becomes one thousand hideous hybrids, and it spreads like a virus. This is your audience, Richard, and they love you. That isn't very important, though. I am sure you don't care, as long as they're lined up at the trough. What is important, however, is this.

I would guess that you take as much enjoyment as anyone might at seeing these ridiculous business models fail like the insane fantasies they were. The pseudo reality of Internet commerce has finally been perceived for what it is, and the only people left are those who were lucky, smart or both. Now, being exposed to so much talk of this, for what, like over a loving year now, have you ever stopped to consider how you ever came to the conclusion that a parasite like yourself could possibly hope to survive in this environment? The corporate tit is gone, and you are completely incapable of surviving on your own. You think these failed companies had stupid business models? How about yours? I knew the advertising market was going to collapse years ago, because it's based on the assumption that banners are effective. Think about it.. You are entirely dependant on advertising.. yet, the people you try to attract are people who aren't going to click on, let alone buy whatever stupid crap that is being advertised. I am sure most of the clicks you have gotten have been sympathy clicks. Did you actually think that it was going to last forever? Everybody knows it doesn't loving work, and most sites have to beg their readers to click, just to pay the server bill. Did you think corporations weren't going to notice that no one was buying their products? You're an idiot, Richard, and I sincerely mean that. The contemptuously stupid decisions you made regarding the various networks you joined don't matter at all because the entire idea was flawed from the start. Enjoy your last moments as a free man. You'll soon be shovelling poo poo for the rest of your life at some nameless corporation, a vacant look forever etched upon your face.

Years from now, when you're no better off than when you started, when it finally hits you that it's all been nothing but a wasted lie, think of me. Think of me, Richard, and when you do, realize that I was the only beacon of logic and truth in this sad menagerie. You seem predestined for failure, however, so I doubt there is anything one can do for you. Just remember, when the joy is gone, when you're clawing at the boundaries of your little world, you always had a choice.

The words of the prophets are written in shitposts.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ok, quick recap. Mostly, who is a rereg of permabanned poster jay z's sedan, was just permabanned for being a rereg of jay z's sedan. Jay z's sedan was permabanned during the FYAD troubles for posting something really, really bad. Not going to repeat it here, here is a link to the QCS thread, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944271 Julias a few posts down quoted it if you are interested. FYAD posters say that jay z's sedan was just making the same sort of argument that anti-FYAD posters were using against FYAD and turning them back on them. There is some validity to this claim. However the actual content of the resulting post is just absolutely disgusting. The thing is that Mostly was pretty openly posting as a jay z's sedan rereg for months, and just got the perma yesterday. She hadn't posted anything objectionable in that time. The posters in FYAD are angry that Mostly was only just now perma'd, and making the comparison that people making other death threats have not been perma'd. So they are mass probating themselves in protest (or rather their IK's are).

There is a lot of detail and nuance to what is going on here, like jay z's sedan may have been in a bad medical and psychological situation when said post was made. At the same time it was exactly the worst possible post a FYADer could have made at a time when they were being accused of bigotry and using slurs casually.

That's what's going on. I would suggest that we not litigate it in this thread at present, but there is a QCS thread linked if you have an opinion.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah there were a lot of people looking for blood in the water. And I think the mods were blindsided by the whole Lowtax thing. It took me a while to fully process what I was seeing, and I think a lot of the early reactions of mods reflected their general sense of "well gently caress, what now?" Also, Jeffrey has (correctly I think) resisted punishing people for having bad early takes when the whole Lowtax thing came out. I know for my part, I was trying to brace myself for the strong possibility that I was going to have to leave this community. And that was a huge blow. And during a pandemic. When I finally posted my thoughts in the Yikesaroo thread, I did so fully expecting to be permabanned.

There were a lot of accusations of mods not responding because they wanted 'to hold onto their tiny amount of power.' But I think the mods were largely just shocked, and they didn't want to say the thing that would permanently destroy this community.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pentyne posted:

This started in E/N and had several goons going as hard as they could "well actually" to explain that no it wasn't weird the OP thought he was gonna bang the girl he slept next to since she was clearly a tease. The victim then later posted in the thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368580&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

This loving searing hot take came after the victim disclosed and this poster then doubled down repeatedly on it in the thread without getting hit with a single probe or ban.

This is the same goon from a different account who posted the E/N thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358181&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post384982923

So at least 1 major incident that played out over the forums. I recall the whole "accused and accuser get banned for offsite drama" for another sexual assault but have not memory of the specifics.

There's no shortage of goons casually disclosing their sex crimes, like Azure Horizon's raping his drunk straight friends and insisting its 100% okay since they got flirty when drunk, the Morally Inept's, and the goon who decided to admit to the world they are a pedophile in the Chris Hansen thread.

Morally Inept is funny, because I'm like 95% sure that they were making a joke. It's just that goons decided if Morally Inept wanted to make a dogfucking joke we would treat them like a dogfucker. One of the most spectacular backfirings of any goon joke ever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Personally I like all of the forums

A coupons apologist I see.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

who was the one who lost a toxx and has to do the same for Last Man Standing

I would take the ban instead.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

"Just because every woman I have ever dated or married say I am abusive, and there is a paper trail of police reports a mile long, that doesn't mean I am a serial abuser! Now excuse me while I disown my daughter so I can have an affair."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Violet_Sky posted:

This didn't happen, right? :smith:

I am not going to post the texts (doing so is not kosher) but at one point a text conversation where Lauren was begging him to stop loving around was posted and he was basically like "You aren't an adult, you don't understand, if you won't stop bugging me about this I don't want to talk to you." It was loving horrible.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did I miss something? What's the story behind this?

He's quoting the dude they're talking about.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

zakharov posted:

It's been awhile since we had a good old-fashioned legal threat. Did Jeffrey purchase the rights to Leonard J Crabs' retainer?

No, he hired a good lawyer.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wow, we just got done talking about how masterful a troll Arf Jason is as well. You can't make this poo poo up.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Antivehicular posted:

Apologies if this is stepping on the current-events rules, but can anyone explain why a ton of people are getting probated with the same lighthouse GIF? I'm guessing it's some kind of a meme from the GBS cursed-images thread?

Basically you have to post an image in the cursed images thread, otherwise you get probed. People began getting probed in an effort to get the lighthouse pic on their rapsheet. Someone turned it into a gang tag, so Grindcore Megiddo started giving the gang tag to everyone who got probed asking for it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lol, that is amazing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also Tokaii is dead. His son, who was also a goon, confirmed it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RFC2324 posted:

Honey Trap Queen makes this suspect. :thunk:

Tokaii's son was a goon long before Tokaii was a goon. He invited his father her specifically to tell his cop stories, then Tokaii stayed largely to play WoW with Goon Squad.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Seraph doesn't need the attention my good goons. Just assume that anyone who starts posting about bitcoin in the sagas thread with no provocation is him.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair, I don't blame anyone who had to deal with Lowtax for interpreting everything they read from site management in the worst possible light. That being said...

Lol.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There was Fishmech, who was trained to the Gas Chamber. No one is exactly sure when she was allowed to post in other places, but for a good long time she could only post in the green forum.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Who What Now posted:

You can post in the gas chamber?

No.

:thejoke:

I'm not sure if it is a forums permission thing or if all the threads are just closed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone got more on this? While PYF's my beat, I don't recall ever hearing about that. Could they only see PYF, or only post here?

Wasn't that Dailokotos? They had planned to set something up like that, but then they just got perma'd because they were harrassing people over pms I think.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lol, Guy Mann, Sleeveless and ...of Science? have all been given 100k probations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brute Squad posted:

I'm not going to fault an african-american man interpreting the word "light" in an insult to refer to his skin color instead of his weight.

No one is saying that it was unreasonable for him to think that. It's just after all those people chimed in and said "That's a fat joke dude," his reaction was pretty dismissive.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brute Squad posted:

other people, yeah. for their responses.

but homeless friend knew before they made that joke.

just seems weird to me when people keep painting this as a "homeless friend got a ban+30 for making a fat joke". cause there's more to it than that and it's a bad look to gloss over those details.

I will admit, that is a hell of a missing context.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gather round young goons, and hear the story of printer goon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Just FYI, Tony Danza Claus was the username A Horny Swearingen aka A Glistening Hodor, had at the time. All of the quotes in that thread still refer to him as such.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You make a good point, friend, no scold there. I kinda forgot about that one (which, admittedly, still makes me laugh because the set-up is just so drat good; a cringey laugh); I always remember the homemade CD story.

edit:

No, it started with earnest comparisons with how a goon's problem was nothing next to a starving African child, then "but [post 1st world problems]" Then it became a super stupid rule because goons would just start every post with "I'm not a Darfur war orphan, but" and that was that.

The problem was that no goon was ever going to top what a Darfur War Orphan went through, so what was the point? Unless they wanted to shut down E/N, in which case they just should have closed it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Beamed posted:

yeah, genuinely no idea how he stayed a mod after that (or around for that matter)

To be fair, that was eventually part of what brought him down.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
You're not the only one that thinks that.

I liked playing Ecco the Dolphin at my friend's house, but I think that was just because I liked dolphins. I never knew how to do anything but swim around.

Lol, I love RLM, but in that video they constantly show clips from Sonic 2 of Sonic running into Grounder while running instead of spin dashing. Of course the games gonna suck if you never use spin dash!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

El_Elegante posted:

It’s a term in the medical literature, but that doesn’t make it either legitimate or non-harmful.

Yeah. I'll admit that I am not educated enough to know whether or not AGP is a 'thing', but none of the trans people I know are trans because it is a fetish, and AGP people seem to act as if it explains all trans people, so yeah it seems pretty bullshit on even a surface level.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Len posted:

Yeah and they're putting out legal threats to take it down

I don't understand how this is a goon saga, but I also don't understand how they think that picture makes her look bad.

:shrug:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I kept mine. I like it!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wasn't Majorian an IK in the USPol thread? You couldn't pay me to be thread janitor for that thread.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MarcusSA posted:

Also China has one time zone despite it spanning like 5 different time zones lol

"Only the Han matter. gently caress everyone else." - CCP's not quite official slogan.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lima posted:

I think she got Extremely Mad that GBS stopped being newsfeed.rss and couldn't ban people for not using the Oxford comma anymore.

What? No, she was on record as supporting GBS 2.0. Ultimately that was an overcorrection, but it was basically a last ditch attempt to make GBS not that. Ozma always seemed to me to not want the sort of curated style of posting that developed under her management, but she honestly didn't know how to subtly move things towards what she wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Spinz posted:

Don't forget you have Elise the Great who never did do a book but has incredibly interesting entertaining stories Plus big peelers original zoo stuff is killer it's funny. I was also entertained by Joey Vapes toward the beginning before he got way out there.

Of course I'm biased but people that gave a lot of effort shouldn't be mocked quite so hard I think just saying. Effort threads are good and rare now

Joey Vapes would have been fine if he had just rolled with the punches when FYAD invaded his thread. Instead he got all mad that they were making fun of his stories.