Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yeah I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can I be Antonio Banderas’ character?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will be Voldo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I roll initiative

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I feel totally fine about Byer's post and generally think townie of him for it. Scum get no benefit from lurching us out of jokevote so quickly. IF, say, Byers were to be scum with that information, it'd make no sense at all to bring it to our attention. The theory someone had about Byer's tryna get people to avoid searching for the sarcophagus was pretty 4D chess but again, I don't think scum make that attention-grabbing of a post so quick.

So instead here's a post I felt was very self-conscious for so early:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i'm very new to mafia (in particular forums mafia) so I'm not sure it's necessarily scummy in any sort of meta sense but the "yeah my reads are good" as some sort of implied authoritative position interested me

(but I'm not gonna vote a newbie D1)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

I just read the op

want to educate me?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

##vote Gumball

Happily diving into rules discussion instead of scum hunting.

getting townvibes from merk thus far

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

i wouldnt put it past cpig to do that, but the big thing that makes me doubt your theory is that he's incorporated a really simple and unambiguous way to avoid the danger, and from the sound of it he made it REALLY obvious that the item is bad, to anybody who knows the flavor.

the good thing about your theory, is that you have a pretty easy way to, at the very least, prove that you actually believe what you're saying. i would find the tone in your initial effortpost extremely weird if you have 0 influence, so im assuming you definitely have some. im also assuming we'll be told at some point if we receive influence. so all you have to do is send somebody your influence today, or send some to multiple people. and im fairly sure nobody else is confident enough to transfer influence this early, so by tomorrow we'll know if you believed yourself enough to transfer away your influence. and if not, i'll be forced to suspect you're scum

what is the simple and unambiguous way to avoid the danger?

how in the world are you coming to the 0 influence deduction and why would you announce it!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Bastardly posted:

We aren't playing the source game you idiots, were playing mafia

jokes on you, I've never played either

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Byers2142 posted:

It's not that they want to move us out of joke phase, it's that they want to be seen moving us out of joke phase. It's about what the intended result is. Amni's cases were forced in a bad way, particularly on Sal, meaning there's less conversation that would develop from them. It leans more towards wanting to be seen instead of wanting to move us, which is what I'm calling out. But it's not strong enought for a vote yet, and the big problem we'll have is that the non-town teams can scumhunt the other teams.

Respectfully disagree, I saw Amni's posts as sincerely trying to get us out of jokephase and forcedly being based on very little, but that's what you do. Today, I would be more suspicious of people trying to keep us in jokevote/resistant to leaving jokevote themselves.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

In Asssassin's Creed Origin the sarcophagus makes the precursor alien's voicemail play, so, maybe CPig took inspiration from other video game sarcophagus, and upon victory here, we shall hear the name of God

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

..mdont you dare be reasonable for the second game in a row Wolfie...

so tempted to respond to this with just an emoji

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

Basically the primary objective of the game is to give me all of the influence and items

poo poo, phewph, thank you for telling me, I would have done other things in the night, like take a big poo poo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

I'm asking you to commit to readsinstead of making a vague post about "other people".

seconding this tpink

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Byers2142 posted:

Wait, poo poo, is Harold still alive? I made the joke then realized I've been gone for two years, and it would be cruel if he'd passed.

no no, not physically dead, dead in the hearts of every little boy and girl out there

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

staying home at night. i didnt think that needed explanation.

he announced plans where it sounds like he thinks he has a good chance of obtaining one of the items. if you read the OP, you'd know that a player only gets the item if they have the highest influence of everyone there, so i'd find his perspective weird if he currently has 0 influence, which the OP directly states is possible

I was curious on your logic of the deduction is all

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

tpink posted:

Good grief, you pedants. I already said it’s the person who voted Byers. Let me spell it out: Dick.

well NOW you're just being rude

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

soscannonballs posted:

Why do you think there are at least 2 scum teams? I have also played the source game and my instinct is that there is only 1 scum team, unless the op is lying about the kue jin/giovanni not being in this game.

my advice would be not too overly mix game flavor with the real media flavor - sometimes they inspire one another, sometimes they're purposefully subverted (the disney villains are the good guys and the princesses are the scum), sometimes they're purposefully useless (jedi / sith being the 'town,' scum being Mandalorians or whatever)

so just play game, find scum

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Byers2142 posted:

Sabbat are scum, easily. Maybe SK, definitely anti-town. The Cams are, per the OP:

I read that, and I think anti-town. Anarchs could be structured a few ways, it'd be pure speculation, so I'm thinking 2, maybe 3 anti-town factions.

stop talking about setup spec

I don’t care what anyone’s theory of how many scum teams there are. Let’s find ANY scum before we start talking about setup.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Bastardly posted:

joke phaize comes in handy to town mid to late game imo because, with flips, retrospective reading of joke phaize can reveal scum posting when they thought they could hide in plain sight and leave behind subtle cues oft subconscious in nature

there is a possibility i just made all that up because :rznv:

Pfft, Dick is confirmed *cool* to me and I won’t vote him today

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rarity posted:

I don't like how definite you sound about there being multiple scum teams

this isn't a bad point

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

wow violating my intellectual property? enjoy your ban

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SalTheBard posted:

Of course there are multiple scum teams, there are like Werewolves, Changlings and loving Mages running around this goddamn city. How is a Vampire supposed to drink blood in peace!?

is this a real post? a reference to the game?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

Serving up a spicy read: merk and rarity are not on a scum team together

uh

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sandwolf posted:

is this a real post? a reference to the game?

the longer you don't reply to this the worse it looks Sal

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I agree it's not a great post but tapping your watch after 30 minutes is also not great.

I don't really think Sal is scum but Amni is not wrong and it feels like it may be a scumslip, I'm being honest with him, the longer he doesn't reply the worse it will look

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Really though, ##vote Sal, vampire-aligned vampire.

wait, so I'm dumb for tapping my watch after 30 mins but you agree he's scummy..?

idgi

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rarity posted:

So you don't think he's scum but you think he might have scumslipped what

I have no scumvibes from Sal but that doesn't mean he's not scum who scumslipped?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh right, 287 posts overnight, that’s why I don’t play in big games, right.

just click the little question mark near my name, that's all you need 8-)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe it’s my complete lack of brain damage but I don’t see that as a scum slip

it seems like he's trying to make a joke about the 'town' but did not know who the 'town' was actually composed of

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

and it's actually the only style of scumslip I think i've ever seen personally, like that time someone thought Megaman's Robot Masters were the bad guys but they were actually the town

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

Can we talk for a moment about this obvious blood drinker?

yeah but I drink blood *for fun* not for sustenance, I'm willfully symbiotic not outright parasitic

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

The lack of an immediate response doesn't make him look worse to me. Could just be me projecting though. I've got two kids and a wife to wrangle here. I'm gonna disappear randomly, and I don't even have a day job.

I don't think he saw my post and ran away, I straight up just think the longer he lets that sit, as-is, the more people will pile onto him

I actually think your vote is scummy as gently caress, because you're trying to both defend him lightly for not appearing, while also immediately slapping a vote on him

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Retro Futurist posted:

The flavour is pretty confusing, I could see someone thinking we're vampires and still being mortal Aligned. I don't even know what I am beyond being mortal Aligned, I'm not reading a wiki to figure it out.
Maybe Sal is scum and I look like an idiot right now but I don't see it

I'm confused by this first part but I don't know what's claim-y or not in this game so whatever *faaaartz*

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don't get what most of that means but it's good enough for me

##vote Tobbs

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Hot take: you're Sal's scumbro and will literally take any out to get off the bus. Like, look at your explanation. What about Sal's last couple posts has you convinced that he's town?

It's early D1 bud, what're you on about?

I never felt Sal was acting scummy. Did I think he maybe scumslipped there? Yeah, I did. But since it's early in D1 I'm not gonna beat myself up for not pinning him as scum yet?

He gave a response to a bunch of other related media that I have no understanding of, that makes me think it was just an offhand reference to vampire media, idk. His response doesn't read like a desperate backpedal.

What about Sal's most recent posts have you convinced he's scum?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SalTheBard posted:

I make a joke post at 11:46 or something like that. Sandwolf makes a post at 12:18 demanding to know why it's been 32 minutes (I suck at math gently caress off) since I last posted. I responded to his post 30 minutes later.

Sal, buddy, I wasn't trying to be like "WHAT THE gently caress SAL!!!!!"

I was simply stating, in my opinion, that the longer a perceived 'scumslip' was left alone, the more people will pile on.

Like, if you whanna accuse me of mafia dadding that's fine, but please relax I was not demanding you come back and focus on mafia over work

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Gotta get better at faking reads man. Maybe you'll pull it off next time you roll scum.

##vote Sandwolf

lol you're joking

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Gotta get better at faking reads man. Maybe you'll pull it off next time you roll scum.

##vote Sandwolf

You *do* see that, miraculously, I am consistent in those posts? Despite thinking Sal was both not scummy and may have scumslipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Re-read the parts I bolded for you and get back to me.

I did not say "you agree with me that Sal is scummy," I said "you agree Sal's scummy?" which was demonstrated by you putting a vote down