Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
feed me your blood, uh, i mean, let's play some mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Byers post reads like: "If you want to move a game out of joke phaize, you do it like this; what i am doing now."

Sprinkled a little shade on on amni for good measure and oh yeah, control the narrative around the sarcophagus.

I don't really like it. ##vote byers

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

So let me make it more clear where my problem is. It's the two cases back to back; the case on Sal is bad as it's based on posting from pre-PMs and an ACAB joke, and the case on Gumball is an empty case. Can it make sense? Sure, but it's defensible regardless of Gumball's alignment. Sabbat, Cam, Anarch, or Mortal, the alignment doesn't matter. It's like Rarity's gut case on me, it's based on your history in other games and a weak connection to the current target's posting. It's mega-meta.

Maybe I missed a post or maybe I lack contextual info based on knowledge of flavor, but how are these alignments known already? The only alignment I know exists by name is "Mortal"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

tpink posted:

lol at Byers getting heat for trying to move the game beyond dumb jokes. HOW RUDE.

That's the cover I think. Yeah moving the game out of joke phaize isn't scummy and might even look like effort posting but it comes off as too sure about mechanics and flavor and it pings me a bit

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

I see that "reading the OP" is still a skill mafia players lack...

I skipped right to the location and item stuff, but I see what you were referring to now. Do you think all the vamps are on the same team or do we have multiple scum teams in your opinion?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

:yeah:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

CPig runs bastard games, fyi

oh

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
We aren't playing the source game you idiots, were playing mafia

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

youre so lucky we can't chain probe you any more

:mrgw:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Sandwolf posted:

so tempted to respond to this with just an emoji

get your own gimmick! that's my shtick!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

b-minus1 posted:

Basically the primary objective of the game is to give me all of the influence and items

this but me instead

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

tpink posted:

Good grief, you pedants. I already said it’s the person who voted Byers. Let me spell it out: Dick.

yeah but what about rarity

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
i can undertstand tpink tunneling on me because i am the best mafia player in history so i'll ignore the fact that tpink thinks i'm the only one voting byers

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Amnistar posted:

And this is why setup spec is neutral. None of these opinions are going to be manufactured, so getting people to talk about them is, a waste of time if your goal is to find scum.

weird that byers would lean into it so hard out of the gate then eh? (and mod spec as well i mean sheesh :rolleyes:)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Amnistar posted:

My issue is that its clear byeres knows a lot about the source material. Being excited about flavour and wanting to share that excitement and the ideas you have is not all that wierd. I want to see more of byers scum hunting (or not) before I really settle on a read for them.

ok, I think that's a fair take. I know byers to be a seasoned mafia player so I kind of expected more than spec stuff (which they came off as too sure of imo) and I put my vote where my suss is/was at that moment.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
lol at steak and everything steak related

also thank you steak for existing and playing mafia

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Rarity posted:

Nah, it's a null tell. Scum end jokephase early all the time, it's easy town cred.

this

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
joke phaize comes in handy to town mid to late game imo because, with flips, retrospective reading of joke phaize can reveal scum posting when they thought they could hide in plain sight and leave behind subtle cues oft subconscious in nature

there is a possibility i just made all that up because :rznv:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

tpink posted:

I thought she voted Byers before that post.

checks out, rarity's vote is what in SA mafia lore is commonly referred to as a "joke vote"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

:argh:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Rarity posted:

To be fair I did upgrade it to a serious vote before your vote came in

well then why did tpink tunnel me

it's because i am teh sexy

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

tpink posted:

Please continue to tunnel me, you’re doing great.

NO U!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Sal I demand that you explain whether or not your last post was a joke or not and if you are scum and why

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I left the game at the point where Sal was looking suss for a weird joke post about being a vamp and 200+ posts I didn't read later and here we are. Is there anything I should go back and look at specifically or should I just go back to where I left off (:whitewater:) or neither?? In the mean time of waiting for a consensus, I shall go back to where I left off (:whitewater:)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
how about someone attempts to answer this question: why are 6 players currently voting Sal (in a nutshell)?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

lot of people coming in here all "i don't wanna read all these posts but what happened???? sal....................bad???"

just loving read lmao

you son of a bitch (j/k)

but seriously.... have you ever missed 200+ posts before and actually went back and read all that poo poo?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Sal claims to have fumbled a joke concerning the various monsters in the WoD setting, but then doubled and tripled down on not understanding whether "Mortal-aligned" means your alignment or your flavor. People piled on because what the gently caress, what a weird thing to be adamant about, and then he self-voted and threw his hands up and left the thread.

see now this is weird

i'm gonna read sal again

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
re-read Sal, I think Sal is frustrated town tbh

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Tobbs is being kinda weird. Bouncing back and forth between Sal and Sandwolf when Sandwolf was putting pressure on Sal...that's a bit waffley on the voting. Tobb's tone comes of as a bit taunty and confident. Tobbs could be scum, would vote but I also still would and am voting byers

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

Yeah, I forgot about Dick in my post. Between the tpink interactions, the pivot to Sal, and this he's probably around Tommu levels of scum for me.

never happened, not even a vote. you either: 1. aren't reading the game, or 2. are manufacturing shade on me for, lets be honest, the best and most fun and satisfying D1 push in any mafia game that I'm playing in :)

Byers2142 posted:

My dishonest answer to this is that Dick and Tommu jumped onto Sal and then kinda left, and that's your scum on the vote. But that would be a lie, as I'd just be using your question to try and promote two of my scum calls.

no, that would be a lie because it just plainly is if you are reading the game and understand that I never voted Sal.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SalTheBard posted:

My new meta is going to be to never post during joke phase or even attempt to make a joke in a Mafia thread ever again.

how about post during joke phaize but only to dunk on other posters for their weird little quirks and stuff and then be ready to play mafia when the other nerds come at you and try to say "you scum bastard!" because isn't that in essence why were all here?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Rarity posted:

Just once in one mafia game it would be nice if I didn't have to spend D1 defending myself from a bunch of dumbass cases

ah yes

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SalTheBard posted:

Amnistar, I have 0 motivation to provide scum reads right now. Anything I say is going to get shouted down so I would rather just...not?

this is a huge yikes and i am more inclined to vote Sal now ##vote Sal

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

It wasn't a vote, Dick, you're right. It was this post. This came right after Sal did his thing, and on the same page as the tpink conversation which you then dropped. That post was the pivot.

Not sure why I thought you later voted Sal, but in my mind you had. So sorry for that error.

cool, thank you. Sal said they aren't going to hunt scum so maybe Sal should be voted off the island

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
hang on i just got to the posts where Sal does reads and stuff ##unvote

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
thank you Sal

##vote byers again or even tobbs

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Sal if you actually turn out to be scum just know that i'll be really mad to the point of punching the air in front of my screen really hard for what your are doing rn

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Amnistar posted:

Not sure I get this position? The only thing scum shouldn't do is play upon out of game feelings about real life for sympathy...anytthing else is fair game.

:thejoke:

I believe Sal and thus believe Sal is town, so if Sal is scum doing the thing you just mentioned scum shouldn't do, then I'll smash my computer into my TV and also topple my dresser over in rage

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Steak posted:

lol ##vote rarity

i'm re-reading steak and this vote is a stinker

there isn't much in the way of cases much either

So far I'd vote (in no particular order):

Byers - for the spec stuff that I felt was too earnest for a game of MAFIA
Tobbs - I didn't like the flip floppy suss between Sal and Sandwolf and gutread a tone of confidence I believe to be more natural for scum Tobbs
Steak - for that rarity vote and general lack of any good faith arguments about who is scum and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

lol