Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Hey, all. Let's talk about things that make us different. Let's not talk about negative nonsense but rather highlight something awesome that you feel is unique about your experience as a person. A lot of us have had bizarre jobs, weird encounters, unexplainable happenings, scary moments, maybe just the fact that you happen to have 6 fingers per hand instead, or other events or facts that are just... unique. I absolutely love to hear those sorts of things. Please tell me cool, interesting things about you or your experience on this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

im gay

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

- My grandmother was chased by Ed Gein, the serial killer who was the inspiration behind many horror movies including Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. She barely evaded him, watched him continue to circle her block as she looked through a crack in her curtains, and he was discovered and arrested for his crimes a couple of weeks later. She could barely tell me that story without choking up, decades later.

- I've had a loaded gun placed against my head by someone who is now in prison for the foreseeable future for it

- I started giving religious speeches to large groups at the ripe old age of 6. This was before I denounced all religion and GTFO

- My ex was married to the founder of BME previously. I got to see some of the most insane body mods that are NSFW unspeakable here. I mean Shannon had a tattoo of himself violently raping himself on his chest so there was some WTF flying around in that scene.

- I like putting butter on graham crackers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'll eat rear end on the first date.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I have never scored despite trying very hard almost every day

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

excuse me but is this considered weird and not normal? help?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i lived on an island between canada and the us at maybe the most active smuggling area along the border and every night you could see a car pull up to the other side of the river with their lights off, flash their highs, and you'd hear a boat go across. they smuggle guns, drugs, and people. one of the smugglers lived near us and would stop by drunk as poo poo every now and then and give us baggies of powder and ask for rolling papers and choked on a chicken leg he brought with him once. he went to prison for murdering his dad.

a lot of people died or went missing on or near the island. if you went to a part of the island you weren't supposed to you would get shot at, and a few people had their dogs killed that way. we adopted an island dog cause it was a runt and wasn't gonna make it and it turned out he was a wolfdog

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

My sister was headbutted by Wesley Willis. This was the 90s, though, so I don't think he ate her rear end.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

BrianRx posted:

My sister was headbutted by Wesley Willis. This was the 90s, though, so I don't think he ate her rear end.

DUDE. A friend and I drove to Green Bay, WI, one night to see Wesley Willis play at what used to be called Concert Cafe. His bus broke down on the way to the show so Reverend Norb from Boris the Sprinkler pulled an old wooden console TV out of a back storage room, put it on stage, put a cheapo old synthesizer on top of it, pointed a microphone at its speaker, and started making up his own impromptu "Wesley Willis" songs on it instead. I was bummed about Willis not making it but that was a glorious night.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

DUDE. A friend and I drove to Green Bay, WI, one night to see Wesley Willis play at what used to be called Concert Cafe. His bus broke down on the way to the show so Reverend Norb from Boris the Sprinkler pulled an old wooden console TV out of a back storage room, put it on stage, put a cheapo old synthesizer on top of it, pointed a microphone at its speaker, and started making up his own impromptu "Wesley Willis" songs on it instead. I was bummed about Willis not making it but that was a glorious night.

That was such a funny time for absurd outsider music. As I experienced it, the seas parted briefly and normally elitist punk rock kids starting embracing him and bands like Atom and His Package. At the time, my local scene was leaning heavily into hardcore, so it was a really fun juxtaposition of styles. I kind of aged out around 2006, but I recall it just kind of petered out.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I'm 32 years old and I stutter.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Catastrophe posted:

- I like putting butter on graham crackers.

Deviant!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

R.L. Stine posted:

a lot of people died or went missing on or near the island. if you went to a part of the island you weren't supposed to you would get shot at, and a few people had their dogs killed that way. we adopted an island dog cause it was a runt and wasn't gonna make it and it turned out he was a wolfdog

Any pics of wolfdog?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BrianRx posted:

I came pretty close to seeing him live on what was his last "tour", but alas it was cancelled due to his health issues iirc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I live with my friend and his parents

Jim is a 68 year old ex hippy kinda guy who loves to peform slight of hand tricks and get drunk

Diane well Diane is a 64 year old non medicated no therapy bipolar schizophrenic who is also addicted to heroin. She spends a lot of her time doped out laying on the couch yelling gently caress and drat. The only food she eats is a McDonald's pancake breakfast with sausage every morning on the way the Cleveland to buy more dope, tomatoe sandwiches, grilled cheese, and malta meal. She is obsessed with blood types and is very proud that she is O- and could give blood to anyone epecially the Queen Of England. Also believes that the only good white people are German or of German descent. Does often say maybe Hitler had good ideas but also insists that the only good and trustworthy businesspeople are Jewish. She hates the cops and has a personal vendetta against a local one who has busted her a few times. Also is a pretty good listener to me about BLM and protesting stuff.

It's strange yeah but its been my life since i was 16 so yeah 15 years of F U N

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I smoked a cigarette with Patrick Swayze when I was deployed on an aircraft carrier.

Apparently he was friends with our commanding officer. He was on the phone with his agent. That was like 2005. ... I guess he still had an agent.

And stuttering dude, I feel you. I couldn't say my R's and had 6 years of speech therapy. My family would call me Elmer Fudd, cause I had a southern accent when I was little. ... I felt the love :/

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

blight rhino posted:

And stuttering dude, I feel you.

I didn't stutter as a kid but had a lisp and also got sent to speech therapy for a while. That sort of thing makes you very self-conscious at times.

Oh and here's a neat one. I would LOVE to hear if anyone else had this

- I had a bad time with incidents of micropsia and macropsia as a kid. AKA "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome". I'd get this intense, intense ear shattering ringing in my ears and, a few seconds later, my vision would distort. My mom said she could see it in me. I'd be playing and suddenly stop and stare into the distance with a confused look. I went through many sessions with clueless doctors, had electrodes attached all over my head multiple times, had every needle and probe shoved into parts of me. They never figured out the cause. It died down as years passed so they all just shrugged and gave up. It had to be worrisome for a mother to see her child scared and confused while asking "Why is everything so small right now??"

Alice in wonderland syndrome (AIWS) describes a set of symptoms with alteration of body image. An alteration of visual perception is found in that way that the sizes of body parts or sizes of external objects are perceived incorrectly.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 29, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my last job was touring all over the world doing live background music for a podcast. when i started doing this, everywhere we went, people would ask "whats a podcast?". within a few years we were playing places like the sydney opera house and the palladium in london. then came the virus so live events are gone and now we do shows on the internet. every now and again during quarantine i go through all my old pics and cant believe it was actually a job i had.

my wife's cousin is the former captain of the sri lankan cricket team/current owner of a chain of fancy crab restaurants. when i visited sri lanka in 2010 (when he was still captain) his face was on literally every coke billboard in the country - and there are a lot of coke billboards in that country. so i suppose hanging out with someone who's face is on every billboard in a country is a pretty unique experience. he's a nice and humble guy, considering. he did not own any restaurants back then, but he served crab at his house and it was extremely good.

when i was a child, i constantly dreamed about being struck by lightning. when this happened i would "die" but that wasn't the end of the dream, instead the whole world would turn into a sort of photonegative and id just kind of float around for a while

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 29, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My dad was Johnny Mathis' bodyguard in the '70s.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

my last job was touring all over the world doing live background music for a podcast. when i started doing this, everywhere we went, people would ask "whats a podcast?". within a few years we were playing places like the sydney opera house and the palladium in london. then came the virus so live events are gone and now we do shows on the internet. every now and again during quarantine i go through all my old pics and cant believe it was actually a job i had.

my wife's cousin is the former captain of the sri lankan cricket team/current owner of a chain of fancy crab restaurants. when i visited sri lanka in 2010 (when he was still captain) his face was on literally every coke billboard in the country - and there are a lot of coke billboards in that country. so i suppose hanging out with someone who's face is on every billboard in a country is a pretty unique experience. he's a nice and humble guy, considering. he did not own any restaurants back then, but he served crab at his house and it was extremely good.

when i was a child, i constantly dreamed about being struck by lightning. when this happened i would "die" but that wasn't the end of the dream, instead the whole world would turn into a sort of photonegative and id just kind of float around for a while

all of this owns and is super interesting

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My dad was Johnny Mathis' bodyguard in the '70s.

Wait. Johhny Mathis had a bodyguard?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I don't want to be hosed in the rear end

I know its cool and all that, but that's my strange thing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How do you know if you haven't tried it?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Colonel Cancer posted:

How do you know if you haven't tried it?

Ive been hosed in the rear end, it sucked.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Catastrophe posted:

Hey, all. Let's talk about things that make us different. Let's not talk about negative nonsense but rather highlight something awesome that you feel is unique about your experience as a person. A lot of us have had bizarre jobs, weird encounters, unexplainable happenings, scary moments, maybe just the fact that you happen to have 6 fingers per hand instead, or other events or facts that are just... unique. I absolutely love to hear those sorts of things. Please tell me cool, interesting things about you or your experience on this planet.

Nice try, Inigo Montoya, you're not catching me him that easily.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

I didn't stutter as a kid but had a lisp and also got sent to speech therapy for a while. That sort of thing makes you very self-conscious at times.

Oh and here's a neat one. I would LOVE to hear if anyone else had this

- I had a bad time with incidents of micropsia and macropsia as a kid. AKA "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome". I'd get this intense, intense ear shattering ringing in my ears and, a few seconds later, my vision would distort. My mom said she could see it in me. I'd be playing and suddenly stop and stare into the distance with a confused look. I went through many sessions with clueless doctors, had electrodes attached all over my head multiple times, had every needle and probe shoved into parts of me. They never figured out the cause. It died down as years passed so they all just shrugged and gave up. It had to be worrisome for a mother to see her child scared and confused while asking "Why is everything so small right now??"

Alice in wonderland syndrome (AIWS) describes a set of symptoms with alteration of body image. An alteration of visual perception is found in that way that the sizes of body parts or sizes of external objects are perceived incorrectly.

Yeah, some words with multiple R's still trip me up. 'Regularly' I have to pronounce pretty slow and 'World War'

I'm sure the syndrome was terrifying, but I'd take it for a few days, just to see. Glad you made it through.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Catastrophe posted:

Wait. Johhny Mathis had a bodyguard?

My dad was in Vietnam and when he played overseas my dad was tasked with being his bodyguard if they were in the same city.

He said Mathis wasn't shy about having a boyfriend at all, but when my dad would tell friends/family that he was gay they all thought he was lying.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm secretly the kingpin of a massive criminal enterprise but the CIA is convinced that I'm just a bad internet poster.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i post in gbs

hi how are you ♥

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

blight rhino posted:

Yeah, some words with multiple R's still trip me up. 'Regularly' I have to pronounce pretty slow and 'World War'

I'm sure the syndrome was terrifying, but I'd take it for a few days, just to see. Glad you made it through.

Thank you. Let me tell you about my own struggle in order to lighten the mood: Get someone like me from the upper Midwest to try to say "Firestone snowtires"

I can't. You will laugh your butt off. It comes out all sideways and ridiculous. FirestOWN nOWtares. Why can't I say it right?! I had a buddy who lived in Texas and was out at a company lunch. Found out their server was from Minnesota but she had no accent at all. Guy didn't want to embarrass her but had learned from me and asked if she could say "firestone snowtires". She did and the Fargo-style accent burst out immediately. I don't know why we can't do it

I also can't say the word "bag" without people pointing and laughing

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any pics of wolfdog?

i don't have any in my possession and he died a couple decades ago but he ended up massive. nearly 200lb as an adult but he was a real sweety and ok with people mostly. later he used to drag me on his leash marmaduke style on the way to the woods chasing critters

they kept the dogs on the island essentially to destroy trespassers which didn't work so the dogs were abandoned and left to roam about, it was real sad

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
My birthday is 9/11.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have four knife scars to my face and not a single one of them looks cool.

I even have one to my eye and all it did was make it so I can't open it properly and make my eyebrow look lovely, I don't even get to look like a james bond villain.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I lived on sri lanka when I was 7 years old for 2 years

that|s pretty much the most interesting period of my life, Ive been ridin that high ever since

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Elentor posted:

I have four knife scars to my face and not a single one of them looks cool.

I even have one to my eye and all it did was make it so I can't open it properly and make my eyebrow look lovely, I don't even get to look like a james bond villain.

Yo, that sucks. How in the world?

I have knife/sharp-edge scars all over me and I do believe that every single one is from me being a doofus clutz and nothing else. 12 stitches from opening a bottle? A leg shredded open from a gear on a bicycle? Needing surgery to reattach a nerve, tendon, sew a muscle back together, reassemble my entire gosh darn hand after almost chopping my left thumb off? Yeah, I'm a clutz like whoa

Son of Rodney posted:

that|s pretty much the most interesting period of my life, Ive been ridin that high ever since

But, you know, almost no one else here would have that experience and that's an awesome part of your story. What was that like?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Rodney posted:

Being 7 years old for 2 years is pretty interesting.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catastrophe posted:

Yo, that sucks. How in the world?

I have knife/sharp-edge scars all over me and I do believe that every single one is from me being a doofus clutz and nothing else. 12 stitches from opening a bottle? A leg shredded open from a gear on a bicycle? Needing surgery to reattach a nerve, tendon, sew a muscle back together, reassemble my entire gosh darn hand after almost chopping my left thumb off? Yeah, I'm a clutz like whoa

Gang fights as a kid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

which podcast?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I'm left-handed, which makes me a mutant creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm left-handed, which makes me a mutant creature.

This isn't interesting or unique about me: I'm left handed too and that thumb I mentioned I nearly lopped off of my body is on that hand. You know, that digit you have on your hands that separates you from much of the animal kingdom in our ability to manipulate objects. Just that one is all. So for the rest of my life, my left thumb on a left handed person feels like I've had it injected with novocaine. Dead as a log. Like I sometimes injure it 1) because I can't feel what it's doing most of the time and, 2) because I can't feel that anything happened until I look down and realize everything is suddenly wet and red. Happened yesterday, even.

It's extremely tough for me to convey how bizarre it is to no longer feel that you have a thumb on your dominant hand that is ....

*sigh*

Where you can flick at an essential piece of your body violently and there is nothing. Nothing. I know this probably sounds minor but let me tell you