Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

They should have switched to the First Contact uniforms too as soon as they got back in contact with Starfleet. They look so much classier than the early DS9 ones.

Wasn't the distinction originally that the colored shoulders were for space stations, and the colored shirts were for starships? It was weird that Voyager used the DS9 style uniform at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Wasn't the distinction originally that the colored shoulders were for space stations, and the colored shirts were for starships? It was weird that Voyager used the DS9 style uniform at all.

I don't recall that ever being stated outright, then again I've barely seen any of early DS9, so I can't say for certain.

The real world explanation is that halfway through Generations, the crew of the Enterprise-D transitions from the late TNG era uniforms to the DS9 ones,, so the implication is that the DS9 ones were becoming standardized fleet-wide. They were going to have a completely new Battlestar Galactica-esque uniform with an open chest flap piece for the movies, but that never made it out of the design phase in time, so they just used a hodge-podge of TNG and DS9 uniforms literally stolen from the DS9 dressing rooms to the point where Riker's wearing a uniform that's about two sizes too small, and Data's wearing one that's about one size too big.

So in that weird fuzzy period between Generations and First Contact, the DS9 uniforms were the Starfleet standard apparently and those were the ones that Voyager got stuck with when they got punted to the Delta Quadrant, and then literally a year later-ish everyone else got the sweetass First Contact uniforms. The DS9/Voyager style coloured shoulderpads have since made a return as the Starfleet standard as of Picard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Generations' production was such a weird shitshow.

This is probably walking right up to the edge of creeper territory, but I've always wondered just what kind-of padded bra system they used for Jeri Ryan's uniforms. She legit looks like a barbie come to life, usually in a really awkward way. I know they had like some complex brassiere system during the TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT era for nearly all the female characters, but I've never really looked into it and you would think with the twin reputations Trekkie's have for being sex-starved and pedantic there would be like... diagrams and poo poo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I always enjoyed the Eisenhower-style jacket that Picard worn in the last couple seasons of TNG and was surprised we never saw it again.

Though the version with the leather shoulders he worn in Darmok looked ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Generations' production was such a weird shitshow.

This is probably walking right up to the edge of creeper territory, but I've always wondered just what kind-of padded bra system they used for Jeri Ryan's uniforms. She legit looks like a barbie come to life, usually in a really awkward way. I know they had like some complex brassiere system during the TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT era for nearly all the female characters, but I've never really looked into it and you would think with the twin reputations Trekkie's have for being sex-starved and pedantic there would be like... diagrams and poo poo.

According to Ryan herself she was strapped into a full-on corset for Seven of Nine. It absolutely hosed up her back and there were days when she went home from set in tears from the pain.

They should have let her have a normal uniform at some point like Troi in late era TNG because she looked much better sans catsuit and it wasn't as weird and creepy, but apparently Rick Berman was as much of a groady horndog as Gene Roddenberry was.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I always enjoyed the Eisenhower-style jacket that Picard worn in the last couple seasons of TNG and was surprised we never saw it again.
That always seemed to me like a logical bridge between the TNG uniforms and the First Contact uniforms, but it might just be because of the quilted shoulders.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

According to Ryan herself she was strapped into a full-on corset for Seven of Nine. It absolutely hosed up her back and there were days when she went home from set in tears from the pain.

They should have let her have a normal uniform at some point like Troi in late era TNG because she looked much better sans catsuit and it wasn't as weird and creepy, but apparently Rick Berman was as much of a groady horndog as Gene Roddenberry was.

There was one episode where time travel shenanigans put Seven on Voyager back before Scorpion, and she was in a standard uniform (and her visible implants hidden) as a disguise. I'm phone posting or I'd find a picture.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There was one episode where time travel shenanigans put Seven on Voyager back before Scorpion, and she was in a standard uniform (and her visible implants hidden) as a disguise. I'm phone posting or I'd find a picture.

Relativity. Another not-bad episode.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Jeri Ryan carries the show and is its second best actor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

Facts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of the 8 year old who's TOTALLY an adult, guys. Wouldn't it be great if you COULD have an adult eight year old?

Which one was the perv again? Braga? :pedo: :barf:

The loving creepiest part was one episode we start like a decade in the future when Kes is about to die, has no memory of the past few years, and is married to Tom...and they have a daughter, who's like five, that's married too Harry and I think they have a kid, too. Who I'm just going to assume Neelix was set to marry.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FunkyAl posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is all just reminding me that you all should be listening to The Delta Flyers. It's Garrett Wang (Harry Kim) and Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) going through every episode of Voyager with lots of hilarious behind the scenes insights and cool extras. It'll give you a new degree of appreciation for all the madness everyone involved in the production went through across those seven years.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

This is all just reminding me that you all should be listening to The Delta Flyers. It's Garrett Wang (Harry Kim) and Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) going through every episode of Voyager with lots of hilarious behind the scenes insights and cool extras. It'll give you a new degree of appreciation for all the madness everyone involved in the production went through across those seven years.

I will have to check this out. I liked Harry and Tom, even if I'm in the minority.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

I like Before and After quite a bit. Having the Year of Hell previewed was awesome. The show would have been so much better if they found a way to keep Kes when they brought Seven onboard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Expired Vitamin posted:

I like Before and After quite a bit. Having the Year of Hell previewed was awesome. The show would have been so much better if they found a way to keep Kes when they brought Seven onboard.

They were originally going to kill off Harry Kim to secure Seven's pace aboard the crew, but then Garret Wang was named one of People's Sexiest Men Alive that year and Rick Berman had an epic raging meltdown about it because he decided things apparently based on sex appeal, so the writing wildly swerved to throw Kes under the bus.

I also wish Brannon Braga and the writers got their way and had the Year of Hell be a whole season instead of a two parter. He finally got the chance to do it on Enterprise with Season 3 and the Xindi arc, but by that point he was too burnt out on Trek to do it properly. It sure as hell would have made running into the Equinox a hell of a lot more interesting if Voyager had also been through a massive shitkicking by the Delta Quadrant (which actually stuck instead of being reset) instead of having Protagonist Armor around it all the time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Expired Vitamin posted:

Kes's few solo episodes are some of my favorites in early Voyager. Before and After is great of course, but so are Warlord and Cold Fire IMO, and they all really show her potential. She has some of the best early B-plots too when she's dealing with learning Medicine from the Doctor and helping him find his humanity, and her mental training with Tuvok could have been something really special too given the chemistry she had with Tim Russ.

(Granted, Elogium and Darkling are pretty bad and her subplots with Neelix are hella gratin)

Kes got done EXCEPTIONALLY dirty even by Voyager standards and its a huge bummer. The few times they let her spread her wings even a little she soared.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

(Granted, Elogium and Darkling are pretty bad and her subplots with Neelix are hella gratin)

Kes got done EXCEPTIONALLY dirty even by Voyager standards and its a huge bummer. The few times they let her spread her wings even a little she soared.

Elogium, beyond just being bad as an episode, was horrible for giving the Ocompa an unsustainable reproductive cycle.

I always wished the dumped Neelix instead of Kes and him being a regional guide gave the character a natural off-ramp. loosing Kim would have been fine with me when the show was running, but he has grown on me over the years. Kes as a concept (especially her mayfly lifespan) and Jennifer Lien's acting we always great IMO. Jerri Ryan is probably one of the top three Trek actors of all time, but it could have been so much more of a gain if they better culled the cast.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Expired Vitamin posted:

Elogium, beyond just being bad as an episode, was horrible for giving the Ocompa an unsustainable reproductive cycle.

I always wished the dumped Neelix instead of Kes and him being a regional guide gave the character a natural off-ramp. loosing Kim would have been fine with me when the show was running, but he has grown on me over the years. Kes as a concept (especially her mayfly lifespan) and Jennifer Lien's acting we always great IMO. Jerri Ryan is probably one of the top three Trek actors of all time, but it could have been so much more of a gain if they better culled the cast.

I wish they'd followed through on that thing they flirted with at the start of Voyager with Harry Kim basically being the stealth main character of the show and had him grow and develop into an actual command-worthy officer and character from the everyman access character he was at the start of the show. Also Garret Wang in general got done dirty by the network and executive producers because he was the one main cast actor who was never allowed to direct an episode of Trek. They even brought in actor/directors from TNG and DS9, but they never let Wang have a turn behind the camera.

Neelix really needed to be more of a cheerful grifter, kind of like Garak on DS9, someone willing to screw rando aliens over or swindle a sweet deal to Voyager's benefit to the crew's chagrin because, hey, the Delta Quadrant's a rough neighbourhood. That Starfleet poo poo ain't gonna cut it sometimes.

Kes would have made a great foil to Seven in terms of altruism vs. cynicism outlooks if they'd kept her on the show.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The biggest problem with Voyager is that as the series went along there were still just too many characters that were just so precious and full of earnestness. It was to the point of absurdity, where people who were actually like that would have been blown up many times over.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They should have kept Tuvix

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Tuvix and the one where janeway makes the Irish hologram forget his wife and love her and he’s drunk and ruining everyone’s holodeck because he’s depressed are my favorites because I love watching janeway go mad with power

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Beyond the episode itself, they should have at least had this impact the dynamic between Tuvok and Neelix going forward. They should have had a more fundamental understanding of one another after existing as a blended being. Rick Berman loved his status quo, though.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I liked the ones with Brad Dourif. Mainly because Brad Dourif rules

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I liked the ones with Brad Dourif. Mainly because Brad Dourif rules

:same:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The best Brad Douriff story I've ever heard was while filming Lord of the Rings he talked in Wormtounge's accent the whole time while on set and on his last day of principle photography when he wrapped his final scene just went "Oh thank god, I can talk American again!"

And by that point he'd been talking with the accent so long that Peter Jackson had forgotten what he sounded like normally and was taken aback by it. It's great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The best Brad Douriff story I've ever heard was while filming Lord of the Rings he talked in Wormtounge's accent the whole time while on set and on his last day of principle photography when he wrapped his final scene just went "Oh thank god, I can talk American again!"

And by that point he'd been talking with the accent so long that Peter Jackson had forgotten what he sounded like normally and was taken aback by it. It's great.

That loving rules!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The biggest problem with Voyager is that as the series went along there were still just too many characters that were just so precious and full of earnestness. It was to the point of absurdity, where people who were actually like that would have been blown up many times over.

Seriously.

Every time, EVERY TIME there was some "way to get home" Harry has to be over the moon about it.

At least they did have Tom act as a quasi-foil and try to being him down.
"Hey Harry, remember the last three dozen times we thought we had a way home? Get some perspective."

And he wasn't good enough on his own, so hey, let's turn Neelix from the aforementioned scoundrel type character nine-gear crow mentioned into the "morale officer" who's always whistling and cheery and having a good time.

Oh, and also, we HAVE to have a cute kid. Never-mind that this isn't a family ship like The Enterprise, we'll find a way...which involves a crewman being pregnant when the series started, just off-screen, and giving birth to a baby.

Baby, you say? Well, they can't be precocious! Well, no worries...she's a species that ages fast! She'll be the human equivalent of a five year old real soon.

And then they got the borg children and had MORE kids, though at least the youngest of them were gone in a few episodes. Icheb wasn't actually terrible.

Also, it's complete BS they killed off Lieutenant Carey; he was at best a tertiary character since season 1 when he was fighting for the Chief Engineer job with B'Elanna but he still didn't need to be killed in the last loving season, like 3 episodes before the finale.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Seven of Nine should have ended up with the doctor because it would be, thematically, like she is embracing human individuality and at the same time dating a giant spaceship/machine collective.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I remember there's an episode where Red Forman/Clarence Boddicker appears out nowhere to put his foot in everyone's rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

I remember there's an episode where Red Forman/Clarence Boddicker appears out nowhere to put his foot in everyone's rear end.

Year of Hell. It's a two parter :eng101: Annorax was Voayger's best villain and Kurtwood Smith deserved to have a full season as him as an arc villain like they planned originally.

Also I can't watch the end of Star Trek 6 anymore without expecting the Federation President to call Kirk a dumbass...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Year of Hell. It's a two parter :eng101: Annorax was Voayger's best villain and Kurtwood Smith deserved to have a full season as him as an arc villain like they planned originally.

What I hate most about Year of Hell, BEYOND the fact that they weren't allowed to do it as a full-season arc as originally intended, was that in "Before and After" Kes gives them the chrono torpedo IMPORTANT NUMBERS and tells them to remember...and then they DON'T and it take a lot of death and destruction before Seven of Nine finds an un-exploded one and gets the numbers from it and Tuvok goes blind. Like...if you had just done what Kes told you to in the first place, you would have been immune to the torpedos the whole time.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway because of RESET, so them's the breaks.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO2fXtxszEA

tom paris is a piece of poo poo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

FunkyAl posted:

The Seven of Nine should have ended up with the doctor because it would be, thematically, like she is embracing human individuality and at the same time dating a giant spaceship/machine collective.

She only ended up with Chakotay because, in Robert Beltran's quest to make increasingly unreasonable demands so they would fire him, he asked that he would get into a relationship with her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

She only ended up with Chakotay because, in Robert Beltran's quest to make increasingly unreasonable demands so they would fire him, he asked that he would get into a relationship with her.

I do love, however, the implication in Star Trek: Picard that Chakotay was such a bore to date that it either turned her gay or made her realize she was gay and ghosted him basically out of existence :haw:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nine-gear crow posted:

I do love, however, the implication in Star Trek: Picard that Chakotay was such a bore to date that it either turned her gay or made her realize she was gay and ghosted him basically out of existence :haw:

I never bothered to watch Picard. Is there more Voyager influence than just having Seven as a tag-along?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I never bothered to watch Picard. Is there more Voyager influence than just having Seven as a tag-along?

They brutally murder Icheb, and the ship captain has a hologram doctor (not Picardo)

I dont think theres anything else

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 10, 2020

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Neurolimal posted:

They brutally murder Icheb

I dont think theres anything else

That ruled.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

these are the voyages of the star ship voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

One other thing, and it really pissed Voyager fans off, so read at your own discretion: Icheb dies because it turns out the woman Seven fell in love with in the time period between the end of Nemesis and where Picard picks up had a side gig as part of a human trafficking ring that harvested and sold implant tech off of ex-Borg. So there's a gratuitous and gruesome scene of him getting tortured to death at the start of one episode.

It's one of a couple pointlessly lovely things the show does, and while it flounders about a bit, over all it's okay and definitely not as dreadful as the internet rage complex screams that it is.