Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

doverhog posted:

They aren't bad movies necessarily, just in the context of what came before. Caring about if the continuity makes any sense, why the scientist loves the snake, etc. is not important. So, it was ok. Lots of worse movies around.

Nah, they just can't articulate that the third acts in both movies are absolute garage.

These movies are from Ridley Scott, whose last scifi movies were Alien and Bladerunner. That's a tall pedestal to fall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

End of Shoelace posted:

What makes Alien and Blade Runner good movies?

What doth film?

Ok, I will bite. Besides atmosphere, sets, acting, story, etc. things that happen in these movies have WEIGHT to them.

Now with Prometheus, everything that happens is so weightless and unengaging. Two dudes get attacked by a giant worm. Cool, I like to see where this is going- Oh none of the other characters mention them again. Wait, one of them turns into a zombie and attacks ... a bunch of nameless and faceless crew members we never seen before. I'm on the edge of my seat!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

End of Shoelace posted:

How much does the atmosphere of the movie "Alien" weigh?

Ten urns of black goo.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Both Prometheus and Covenant are good and the main complaints from nerdos about them are just dumb “why aren’t the characters hyper-competent action movie gun men? I don’t get why this film about hubris and being careful what you wish for and playing with fire and forbidden desires has characters short-sightedly pursuing their desires even when its obviously gonna get them killed???” Predictably, nerds can only read the absolute surface level actions of a film and can only debate whether the events shown should have ‘really happened’ or whether they are ‘plot holes’

Except no one argued this itt?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I think it was a real strength that the original movie only had a small cast of characters.

Did anyone here watch the movie Annihilation? It's what I thought Prometheus/Covenant should have been.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Thank SMG for making CD a cargo cult of film criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013