Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
What is the black goo? It's never explained. Huge plothole in the series imo, but the biggest one is the science team in Prometheus being dumb. It's never explained why they are that stupid. The crew not caring about Shaw or the squid is also a plot hole.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

doverhog posted:

It's a bio weapon the engineers made for ???? reasons.

Yeah, but what IS it?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

They never clearly explain what it is. It's a big problem for the series canon. It's also disappointing that the origin of the most iconic sci-fi slasher villain ever is never explained. I was extremely disappointed after seeing Prometheus in the theater. It would have been better if, like, Weyland genetically engineered the aliens out of greed, and the movie was about stopping him. Think of a baby between Alien and Avengers, and you have a good movie.

I mean, the black goo can't just be all there is to it. There's nothing.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Joe Chill posted:

Nah, they just can't articulate that the third acts in both movies are absolute garage.

These movies are from Ridley Scott, whose last scifi movies were Alien and Bladerunner. That's a tall pedestal to fall...

What makes Alien and Blade Runner good movies?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Mozi posted:

atmosphere?

What qualities make the atmosphere of the movie "Alien" so good that it, in turn, makes "Alien" a very good movie?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Joe Chill posted:

What doth film?

Ok, I will bite. Besides atmosphere, sets, acting, story, etc. things that happen in these movies have WEIGHT to them.

Now with Prometheus, everything that happens is so weightless and unengaging. Two dudes get attacked by a giant worm. Cool, I like to see where this is going- Oh none of the other characters mention them again. Wait, one of them turns into a zombie and attacks ... a bunch of nameless and faceless crew members we never seen before. I'm on the edge of my seat!

How much does the atmosphere of the movie "Alien" weigh?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Personally, I would have liked if it was discovered that the Aliens have a fully translatable language, but it turns out communicating with them is hard and they tend to be violent, so it becomes more OK to kill them than ever before.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 31, 2020

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I agree. Aliens is a super memorable action movie, but all the Ridley Scott-directed ones generally have more to offer in terms of atmosphere and having something to say.

What does "Alien" have to say?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

toggle posted:

Especially the part when the scientists took off their helmets in the temple, cave thing. That makes a good movie?

Did you lose your poo poo at "Saving Private Ryan" when the characters took their helmets off, when only minutes before in the movie's runtime, the surrounding area was proven to be extremely dangerous without a helmet?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Malkina_ posted:

Humans are worse than the aliens.

It’s the theme of all the alien movies.

I'd argue that the humans effectively ARE the aliens. That is one reason why the "Alien" series is so striking; fundamentally, the movies are about human conflict, and the xenomorph is a manifestation of this violence in a more literal form. The xenomorph literally cannot exist without a host; they are borne of humans in all of the movies.

The temperamental crew of the Nostromo kinda tolerate eachother, and begin to actively dislike one another once the life of a crewmember is possibly at stake, and conflict arises. Once this loathing is suppressed (but not gone) at the dinner table, the xenomorph emerges from the subject of the tension between the crew.

Had the ship not self-destructed and were to be discovered later, the aftermath of the xenomorph slaughtering the crew of the Nostromo would be indistinguishable from a bout of manic destructive energy by the crew itself.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

movies dont have to have something "to say" wtf

They just need to be entertaining

All "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom" needs to do is to be entertaining.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
There is something extremely weird with Prometheus where a lot of people watch it and don't say "this research team does some questionable things; they are not so professional it seems", but instead say "this research team does some questionable things; this is a huge loving plothole and they were written like this by mistake! Ridley Scott is senile!"

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Xaintrailles posted:

It is in fact a plot hole that humanity's most distant exploratory mission, a huge expensive spaceship, and the life of the guy paying for it all have been entrusted to the D-team, without anyone noticing or commenting on it.
It works with the hubris theme and the plot twist for sure, but it's not clear if it's deliberate or just the standard horror-film-characters-act-like-idiots-to-advance-the-plot cliché.

I mean, in the world of the Alien movies, space travel is so commonplace and integrated that sending a group of everyday workers into deep space, several months of travel outside radio range, is akin in danger and rarity to sending a crew to operate an oil rig.
Also, Weyland hired cheap because he pretty much knew what was on LV223. He wouldn't have come along otherwise, as it wouldn't make sense for Weyland, an ancient and frail man, to tag along for what could potentially be his last trip if he wasn't atleast VERY sure that his destination was on the planet. That's also why he had his own facilities and loyal subordinates who took the reins after sufficient discoveries were made. Pretty much all Weyland cared for was:

1. Getting himself and David to LV223
2. Confirming the location of Engineers or their technology on the planet
3. Meeting an Engineer personally or acquiring their technology

He literally did not care about the lives of the team he hired. All they had to do was land on the planet, make sure it was safe for Weyland and map it out. Did you think his weird AR projection pep talk was sincere?

You could say that the crew was...

Expendable.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 1, 2020

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Mozi posted:

as an audience member i felt the crew acted in unrealistic ways in order to further the plot, which annoyed me

i don't really care about justifications for that after the fact

it's not like the crew in Alien was the paragon of professionalism but they didn't rub me the wrong way like the crew in Prometheus did

It's a plot hole. The fact that the majority of the Prometheus crew are an annoying bunch of neuroses is an obvious sign that the writers painted themselves into a corner, gave up, and rolled around naked in their textual paint. This is NOT how they should have acted.

I looked at the screen for clues of an ancient alien civilization, became very excited seeing that the ground was FILTHY with alien fossils and bones, but then became bitterly disappointed upon discovering that idiot Ridley Scott did a total blunder, revealing in a nonsensical, weightless plothole that the artifacts littering the landscape of LV223 are, apparently, just loving rocks.

The writers are idiots who do not care. They are just lazy and out to make a buck.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

These here plotholes signify the hubris of man, you absolute rube, don't you watch any kino? And this bad acting represents men drawn to the edge of sanity, it is absolutely brilliant work! You think the movie directors cheaped out on the set? You drat idiot, they were building for authenticity, the gorilla suit robot represents what the characters would see through their limited mindset upon encountering alien technology of incomprehensible advancement :smugdog:

Effective parody requires solid knowledge of the source materials.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah but the quesiton was "what makes the characters interesting?"

Just cuz they have "character traits" like "being self destructive" it doesn't really make them interesting. I liked Annihilation but not because of the strong characters

My problem is that the whole theme of refraction, dispersion and integration has nothing to do with the "troubled women" thing. These two major subjects of the movie, ironically, do not mingle in any way whatsoever.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Mozi posted:

i don't have a problem w/ the map maker getting lost. ok, i get the point, it's not very subtle

i have a problem with the map maker just going and getting himself lost immediately with no justification. at least give me some reason to think 'ok, he's a legit map guy but due to circumstances he's lost now'. don't just have him wander off because then i'm not thinking 'ah, man's hubris is surely his doom,' i'm thinking 'this is loving stupid.'

same for all the other characters

This line of complaints is a trap one can run into when they do movie critique.
One says: "It should have been explained precisely why the map maker got lost." When they are asked if giving the viewers an in-depth reason of why the map maker got lost would fix the movie, the answer is guaranteed to be no, and another "error" is brought up. This creates a near-infinite list of small details to change, derailing the person into analyzing hundreds of disconnected tidbits and offering alternatives, to "fix" the "errors".

This sends the critic into a goose chase where the ultimate "fix" to the movie is searched for in uncountable little details, but never found.

A more pressing reason why this kind of endless, often looping investigative work is ineffective: honest errors in movies, especially anything in it's writing, are a lot more rare than people tend to think.
The lack of a precise reason for the map maker becoming lost is not an error in the movie's writing. The map maker simply becomes lost. Does a regular person need an in-depth, hidden meaning to why they might get lost somewhere unfamiliar to them? The most pressing reason: offering alternatives to what happens in the movie is not analysis of the movie. One begins to write about an entirely different movie which exists in their head, refusing to engage with the real movie itself.

The analysis for the movie is to be found in what the movie presents to us. The map maker became lost. What is the relation to this in the writing of the movie?

This kind of trap also swivels smoothly into basic difficulties in reading a movie. It's claimed that the map maker becoming lost is a plot hole, because map makers, inherently by nature, should not get lost.
One sees a shot of a picket fence and hears barking. Then, a cat saunters from behind the fence. Difficulty in reading causes one to claim the filmmakers are dumb as hell for portraying the worst dog ever in cinema history.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 2, 2020

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Mozi posted:

*biologist reads computerized screen on his wrist saying the air is safe to breathe and takes off his helmet*

*alien floats into his nose*

"oh no cursed by my own hubriiiiissssssss!!!!"

THE END

like really at least have the map guy do some badass map stuff first so i think 'ok he's a real deal map guy' before he overextends and fucks up or something

The scan of the planet's atmosphere concluded that, yes, the air IS totally safe to breathe. This is absolutely true; however, the spores are still dangerous, but they and the fungi have nothing to do with the atmosphere of the planet. It's a case of computer logic.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I'm starting to feel a little pretentious, so just go read Supermechagodzilla's long analysis on "Alien: Covenant".

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

http://prequelsredeemed.blogspot.com/2017/06/rpi-smg-and-alien-covenant.html

Here's his longform posts up to the time he got permabanned. He did get unbanned, so click the links to the posts in the article to get to the original thread, and continue reading from there.
Clunky, I know, but what can you do.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Biohazard posted:

Yeah no one should ever be critical of the writing of a movie cause it happens to exist within a genre amirite :jerkbag:

You can write a movie in which there's Acid blooded aliens, which are beyond belief, and still have interesting characters who's purpose to the plot is clear, and who's actions and motivations make any sense whatsoever. How do I know this? Because the movie Alien exists and it's great..

What kinda moron would walk into a dark, enclosed and cluttered hangar while everyone knows that a murderous alien who's whole MO is striking from the shadows is hidden somewhere on the ship? WTF is he doing, he's just standing there and letting dirty engine water drip on his face! It must be full of toxic chemicals! How did he not see the alien swinging from the chains while looking directly up? Why would he act so stupid because of a CAT?!

This story is full of plot holes! The writers don't care and they are shills, out there to wring us movie goers of our money!

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Honestly, the fact that they would walk into the laboratory, knowing full well that the face-attacking alien is loose in there, without at least duct-taping a sieve or strainer of some kind onto their heads makes my blood boil. I was disgusted in the movie theater.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Why did Kane look into the egg after seeing it open? How did the facehugger get him through the helmet of the spacesuit? If it used acid to eat through it, how did the acid not melt his face off (the objective of the facehugger is specifically to not harm the host)? How did Kane not suffocate while they slowly dragged him onto the ship? If the facehugger converts the surrounding gases into a type that is breathable for it's host (which is incredibly convoluted and just plain dumb), how did it know to convert it to oxygen specifically? How did it detect the oxygen on the ship is breathable for it's host?

Ridley Scott is losing his loving grip.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Biohazard posted:

Yeah, you're right, you can play that game and poke holes in anything. Which is were actual, competent writing comes in, and helps you suspend that disbelief, instead of leaving you feeling like "wait, what the gently caress, why is this guy....". And by the way, writing good scripts that do that and then translating it to screen is really loving hard, which is why every movie isn't a masterpiece, or honestly even very good.

I mean honestly, if you can compare a movie like Prometheus to Alien, made by the same director, and not come out going "yeah Prometheus is an OK movie, but Alien is just a better movie in most respects" then I dunno what to tell you. Guess we're just looking for different things.

If a well done suspension of disbelief is the basis of actual and competent writing, would you consider "Meet the Fockers" one of the best written films ever?

Are we just supposed to swallow that these incredible space battles with astonishing technology happened a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but in our shared universe? Thinking of how widespread, easy and advanced long-distance space travel is, it's extremely improbable we would not have found some artifacts in the history of our planet's archeology, like a Stormtrooper helmet.

Finally: suspension in the disbelief of what? That we are not actually looking through a window into another reality, but just watching a movie?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I generally like to know what I like or dislike, what is good and bad, and what makes them so.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Hell Yeah posted:

i would like to just bring this post to the attention of people in the thread who are saying people only complain about plot holes in these movies. i'm not complaining about a plot hole, the movie is just poorly written and edited, which is a good criticism. like for instance there was a scene in prometheus where the extreme geologist guy with a mohawk throws his little flying orb mapmaker things into the air and calls them his pups and then howls. i guess i can understanding writing that in the movie, or even filming it, but leaving it in the final cut of the movie that showed in theaters? that's an insane decision and there are several examples of similar things that are just dumb as gently caress and make you question why you're even watching this movie.
the best evidence that the movie is bad is the movie.

Why is that choice bad?
You've claimed that it's bad, and claimed that claiming so is good critique. That's not reading, or even analysis.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Hell Yeah posted:

are you saying you like that scene?

Yes. This rear end in a top hat called "DA LONE WULFF" sends the equivalent of 400 dollar camera drones he calls his dawgs to fly around a cave and he howls. Then he gets lost and gets killed by a snake. He comes back as a werewolf.

These people are on a mission to find god.

It owns.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Randarkman posted:

I'll call it what I want.

That scene of cholecystectomy to remove the apartment building from the water key in the movie "Prometheus" was truly haunting.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

T. Bombastus posted:

Shaw knew she was pregnant, David tells her.

The rest you're right about, although in the defense of op she yells "get this thing out of me!" or something. Which sounds more like what you would say before an abortion than what you would say before a c-section.

It could be read as some "death drive" horror, where the aborted fetus persists even after termination. The movie does set a precedent for it, with the Engineer head coming back to life and Fifield continuing on as a corroded lump and whatnot.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

I thought it was well postulated within this very thread that characters in alien films are dumb mercenaries inept at their jobs and likely trained at whatever equivalent of a conservative Christian education centre they have in the setting? You're clearly missing the nuance in the film that should be obvious to a trained eye. These people are incompetent and misinformed from the start!

Other than the weird non-sequitur about Christian schools: correct. Weyland needed a B-team that nobody in public would care about to smuggle himself, David and his own team to LV-233.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I don’t think SMG’s take is his best work. It requires people to ignore a lot more of what the literal plot of the film is telling them than his Prometheus posts. It’s not very convincing to say that Walter and David are the same person so you need to ignore the fact that you know they’re two separate characters, and here’s a logically twisted explanation for why what every viewer thought happened in the plot, didn’t. “If this is a new character, why does he look identical to David? There is no immediate concrete answer.” The immediate answer from a plot-focused viewer would be: he’s a mass-produced robot, idiot, weren’t you paying attention? His insistence on just looking at the visuals of the current film and nothing else goes too far here.

In his defense: mirroring is quite a large part of the visuals in Alien: Covenant. The neomorph that creeps up on the lady soldier is completely docile, attacking only after she reaches for her gun. When David acts calmly and slowly, he can even gently touch it. More to the point is the scene where the freshly hatched xenomorph mirrors David's pose.

There is simply very few interesting things plotwise to be found in the notion that they look/are the same because they come from the same production plant, other than that David wants Walter to be more independent and loathes him (and by extension, himself). Unless you want to make a reading on how David is, in an ironic twist, taking the means of mass production for himself with the chamber full of alien eggs and such.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The audio clip here where he says Shaw rebuilt him is from the released film.

I totally agree with the idea that David and Walter are ‘the same person’ on a conceptual level. I agree with K. Waste’s post that “there is no literal explanation, because it's irrelevant. It is not the aesthetic or thematic focus of the superficial plot event. The focus is the duality between Walter and David, which is abruptly and violently resolved by simply following one character, who can already talk like both characters, who looks like both characters, who has the same job/motivations as both characters.” But here SMG apparently wants to tell people that the robot at the end of the film is more literally, at the plot level, “an evil Walter”. If you don’t believe this, then you have “franchise thinking”. I can’t agree with him here.

Well, you do agree that Walter and David are conceptually the same. So, conceptually, the android at the end is an evil Walter.
I'll have to get back to you on the franchise thinking, because I am a dummy who doesn't really get it yet.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 7, 2020

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

Is convenant the one where the main character gets saved by a good android from a bad android (who look identical to each other) and rather than help the good android and make sure he wins, she just loving leaves?

Then later she's surprised the bad android won.

She doesn't care that much about androids. Noted hack Ridley Scott, one of who's movies is also Blade Runner, left this glaring plothole into the movie.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

Prometheus could have been better if:

1. We liked any of the characters. They were all flat and interchangable.

2. The movie picked a loving protagonist. Are we rooting for Noomi Rapace? Or David? Or the dead dude who was hidden?

3. Why the gently caress are med pods gender based?

4. Weyland's entire idea of getting immortality was loving stupid. He should have been wanting to meet the creators to show off David or some poo poo.

5. The gently caress was with the helmets?

6. Let's focus on Noomi's character. She's the new Ripley. And let's make more of the story have a few seconds here and there of her, like the opening scene isn't the suicidal Engineer, it's her finding another negative pregnancy test, maybe some mail that she's infertile but there are adoption options. Throwaway line that she and her boyfriend broke up about this. Then hey look they find another symbol! And then off to space! And maybe she's the only one who is nice to David. Even gets irritated when others treat him like crap. Now we have a likable character that isn't defined by...well, nothing. Or make the movie with David as the main character, and he's seeking out the Engineers to find out just why the gently caress humanity is so hosed up.

7. Engineers should not have made the human race, OR the Xenos. Instead they found the Xenos and were working on...I don't know, making them more controllable? Wasn't there some origin comic where Xenos were naturally occurring creatures....and they weren't even the top of the food chain?

But now you're not talking about Prometheus anymore. You've invented a new movie to analyse ("Prometheus: The LV-233 Definitive Fan Cut" or whatever), with parameters of your own, already in accordance with your "criticism".

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

White knighting for covenant lol

We're discussing a movie. Nobody prompted you into using the term "white knighting" in the context of softcore internet fantasy porn where an amazonian xenomorph lipservices a man.

Just running into the Alien: Covenant thread guns blazing, screaming about the feminist agenda.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The alien wasnt in prometheus

But it was in alien covenant

The only true "alien" was in the original movie. The rest are just different breeds, species and derivatives of xenomorphs.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I always imagined sour to the point of sharpness, like bile, on the account of them being 75% acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

El_Elegante posted:

That scene is badly written because her character is neither an rear end in a top hat nor shitfaced. It’s really cruel the way she comes down on Logan Marshall Green’s character for an innocent slip of the tongue.

The reason she reacts badly to him in the movie is because she reacts badly to him in the movie.