Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sleeveless posted:

It was cool and good, in a world of endless remakes and reboots actually doing new things with a franchise is admirable even if it makes the nerds mad because they just want the same familiar product regurgitated into their waiting maws. Compared Prometheus and Covenant to the Terminator sequels or the Predator sequels and its night and day in terms of trying new things versus endlessly chasing the dragon of your first two hits and always coming up short while drowning in more and more Canon and Lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MakaVillian posted:

I mean you like what you like, but wow that sure is an interesting opinion.

I agree. Aliens is a super memorable action movie, but all the Ridley Scott-directed ones generally have more to offer in terms of atmosphere and having something to say.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

End of Shoelace posted:

What does "Alien" have to say?

"HISSSSSSSSS"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

It is in fact a plot hole that humanity's most distant exploratory mission, a huge expensive spaceship, and the life of the guy paying for it all have been entrusted to the D-team, without anyone noticing or commenting on it.
It works with the hubris theme and the plot twist for sure, but it's not clear if it's deliberate or just the standard horror-film-characters-act-like-idiots-to-advance-the-plot cliché.

It wasn't "humanity's" mission, it was a mission cobbled together by some vain rich douchebag

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sourdough Sam posted:

Can't make fun of movies in GBS without CineD leaking in to tell you that forgettable bad movies are, in fact, masterpieces.

Can't point out that goons are super hyperbolic autists about movies without someone chiming in to say something like this.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Guys, all these human characters are loving up at their jobs. This is a real hindrance to my suspension of disbelief in the movie about humanoid space gods and acid-blooded aliens.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

NERDS: This animal has metal-dissolving acid for blood. I know this is highly stupid/unlikely but I will allow it/do mental gymnastics to explain how it works.

SAME NERDS: That guy is acting like a doofus. immersion ruined

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Biohazard posted:

Yeah no one should ever be critical of the writing of a movie cause it happens to exist within a genre amirite :jerkbag:

You can write a movie in which there's Acid blooded aliens, which are beyond belief, and still have interesting characters who's purpose to the plot is clear, and who's actions and motivations make any sense whatsoener. How do I know this? Because the movie Alien exists and it's great..

Don't get me wrong, I thought a lot of those moments were sort of dumb when I saw the movie too, but I'm just finding it surprising so many people made a huge sticking point over them.

My brain just rolled over and went, "well, that's dumb, but not so dumb I can't imagine it happening in real life." Or, "okay, you shouldnt take off your space helmet here, but maybe the director just wanted to shown the actors' faces more." :shrug:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Mozi posted:

i don't want to actually argue about movies in gbs but if you think my compliant that is the human characters were fallible you're stupid

Maybe Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof can base a character off me!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't know what planet I'm living on where people are rating Resurrection above literally any other Alien movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

toggle posted:

the gay lawrence olivier mad scientist robot is such a stupid storyline. In fact, the entire movie is pointless. How did Daffyd make so many humanoidish xenomorphs when dr shaw was the only human on the planet? i imagine the colonist ship is the start of the finished xenomorph?

covenant is a decent movie for the first 55mins.

I felt, like, the exact opposite. I was disappointed with the first third of the movie played essentially all the same predictable story beats from the original Alien (and similar movies), and I was more into it after they met David and things took an unusual turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Both the fact that she reassembled him and that he murdered her to further his experiments are explicit, are people really criticizing the movie about missing that? David flat out says it IIRC.