Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i read or saw somewhere that the writer of the original alien screenplay hated the fact that they added the 'corporation is trying to capture the alien' plot point - his idea was just the simple 'terrifying mysterious alien attacks crew' stuff. and even though the rest of the movies were all enabled by that choice i agree with him

also alien is the best, aliens is just ok and prometheus is frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
atmosphere?

vvv i didn't like promethus because all the characters were so stupid and it felt like they were trying to answer questions but it kind of fell apart and got dumb. i don't need to know the backstory of where the aliens came from or whatever, the mysteriousness is what made them scary!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 31, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

laserghost posted:

Both Covenant and Blade Runner 2049 killed mine and my friends' will to go to the cinema for rest of the year, amazingly pretty and mortifyingly boring movies which look like animated wallpapers for those with huge rear end displays at home

but remember that big blue lady? mamma mia!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the only thing that would have made Alien better is if the xenomorph took the form of a spooky clown like in It

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
*facehugger looks up from kane's face* uh a little privacy please?!?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

End of Shoelace posted:

There is something extremely weird with Prometheus where a lot of people watch it and don't say "this research team does some questionable things; they are not so professional it seems", but instead say "this research team does some questionable things; this is a huge loving plothole and they were written like this by mistake! Ridley Scott is senile!"

*takes off helmet*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
as an audience member i felt the crew acted in unrealistic ways in order to further the plot, which annoyed me

i don't really care about justifications for that after the fact

it's not like the crew in Alien was the paragon of professionalism but they didn't rub me the wrong way like the crew in Prometheus did

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i like high framerate movies

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i don't have a problem w/ the map maker getting lost. ok, i get the point, it's not very subtle

i have a problem with the map maker just going and getting himself lost immediately with no justification. at least give me some reason to think 'ok, he's a legit map guy but due to circumstances he's lost now'. don't just have him wander off because then i'm not thinking 'ah, man's hubris is surely his doom,' i'm thinking 'this is loving stupid.'

same for all the other characters

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

:golfclap:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
*biologist reads computerized screen on his wrist saying the air is safe to breathe and takes off his helmet*

*alien floats into his nose*

"oh no cursed by my own hubriiiiissssssss!!!!"

THE END

like really at least have the map guy do some badass map stuff first so i think 'ok he's a real deal map guy' before he overextends and fucks up or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Guys, all these human characters are loving up at their jobs. This is a real hindrance to my suspension of disbelief in the movie about humanoid space gods and acid-blooded aliens.

i don't want to actually argue about movies in gbs but if you think my compliant that is the human characters were fallible you're stupid

i will give props to shoelaces for doing an extremely good impression of a cined poster