Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, the tournament used Hawkeye instead of line judges for all courts which worked great and helped speed up matches since there were no challenges, but they're bringing back line judges for the 2 showcourts during the US Open because... reasons? Probably because the tournament director is siphoning from the funds used to pay the line judges.

I'm conflicted on this one, I liked the mild drama around challenges and also line judges having jobs, but the automatic linecalls do work really well. And players just accept them. Like a call goes against them but there's nothing they can do about it so they instantly just move on.

Anyway I'm watching the Vondrousova match to start with. The absolutely dead atmosphere is a bummer, but oh well.

On the bright side EurosportPlayer is now at 60fps? A pleasant surprise. (edit: maybe not 60... not sure, but clearly higher/smoother than it used to be in any case)

I hope Clijsters can do something here. I watched her comeback match earlier this year (where she lost to Muguruza) and was instantly reminded of how beautiful her game is.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s definitely a 50-year-old ball boy on one of the outer courts.

Think I just spotted him. Schwartzman/Norrie match, right?

First-week court-hopping is always lots of fun.

edit: The added crowd noise on the show courts sucks. I'd rather have no atmosphere than fake atmosphere.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Zverev is hopeless. I don't like him but it's kind of sad to watch someone drop the ball this dramatically on such a big opportunity. I hope this ends in straights cause I'm staying up for the Medvedev/Thiem match and I'd like to maybe get at least some sleep afterwards.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Serena is going to be stuck on 23 forever.

Probably, but to be fair she doesn't actually need 24 to be greater than Court.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah that was gross and soured me on Thiem. Hopefully Medvedev wins this thing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Osaka just completely absent in that first set. I hope she shows up for the second.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Oof, that was a great hold from Osaka from 0-40 down.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This might be the worst 5-setter I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Guess you didn't watch Zverev/PCB. That was loving awful.

I did watch it but I've already forgotten everything about it. Maybe you're right. I want to say Zverev/Coric was even worse but that was only four sets.