Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s a very northeast thing (maybe just New York/New Jersey?) to pluralize or give ownership to a business. My father would call it “Sears’s”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s a very northeast thing (maybe just New York/New Jersey?) to pluralize or give ownership to a business. My father would call it “Sears’s”

That's definitely an NYC/Jersey stereotype. I lived all my life in New England and we've never done that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Warm Fish Salad posted:

There was a cornucopia in the Fruit of The Loom logo and I will die on this hill.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I am so sure the cornucopia was on a generic tshirt popular amongst screenprinting companies with a logo intentionally close to fotl

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
I just had one of these yesterday. I saw an add for the NY comedy festival and it mentioned Jimmy Carr would be there. I would have sworn that he died a year or two ago. Who could I be confusing him with?

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Maybe Sean Lock? They're both part of the 8 Out of 10 Cats crew, so it'd make sense.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
That makes sense I probably saw a clip of the show and misinterpreted a comment about Sean Lock dying.

Um, what I actually mean is what the gently caress!?!? They're flipping dead comedians now!?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Neito posted:

That's definitely an NYC/Jersey stereotype. I lived all my life in New England and we've never done that.

I can't speak to Sears's, but pretty much everywhere I've been in New England, everyone calls Labatt Blue "Labatt's Blue" or usually just "Labatt's"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel on Hulu just now. I’ve apparently fallen through a wormhole into a strange parallel universe where it was released in 2014, nearly a decade ago, because I could have sworn it was a Trump era thing.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Everyone knows that when Mortal Kombat I came out in the early 90s that Kano was a Japanese criminal, leader of the Black Dragon. When the MK film came out in 1995, Kano was played by Australian actor Trevor Goddard and because of his amazing performance , the video game character of Kanao was retconned to be Australian.

Today, I learned that Trevor Goddard was actually from the UK. Okay, no big deal right? He must have just put on an Aussie accent for the film. I've just gone back and watched every one of his scenes and he sounds exactly like a cockney/Londoner. At no point does he have a Australian accent.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Today, I learned that Trevor Goddard was actually from the UK. Okay, no big deal right? He must have just put on an Aussie accent for the film. I've just gone back and watched every one of his scenes and he sounds exactly like a cockney/Londoner. At no point does he have a Australian accent.
Yeah, I didn't hear an Australian accent either and was confused when they went that route in the games and just assumed I misremembered it. The Australian actor they got for the most recent movie was excellent though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Everyone knows that when Mortal Kombat I came out in the early 90s that Kano was a Japanese criminal, leader of the Black Dragon. When the MK film came out in 1995, Kano was played by Australian actor Trevor Goddard and because of his amazing performance , the video game character of Kanao was retconned to be Australian.

He apparently went on to play Australians in other American shows/movies, still without changing his accent at all, because the average American is just that bad at identifying accents.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsJegK8BtXI

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel on Hulu just now. I’ve apparently fallen through a wormhole into a strange parallel universe where it was released in 2014, nearly a decade ago, because I could have sworn it was a Trump era thing.

Are you conflating it with The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which was released in 2011 (and its sequel in 2015) perhaps? I haven't seen either and they're all effectively the same movie to my brain, at least.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I could have sworn that there was an off-brand bagged cereal called Fruit Dots that were basically just round Trix during the time after & before the existence of round Trix. It's why I was happy about Trix going back to their original round shape, (edit) because it made them like Fruit Dots. That said, I can find absolutely no evidence that Fruit Dots ever existed and when I try to Google them, all I get for results are those weird gross gummy candies & various other candy. :psyduck:

Also, people I thought were dead long before they actually died:
- Nelson Mandela (duh)
- Barbara Walters
- Angela Lansbury
- Tony Bennett

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Aug 21, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought that this whole thing was stupid and infuriating until I was told two days ago that there's no such thing as Stouffer's stovetop stuffing

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought that this whole thing was stupid and infuriating until I was told two days ago that there's no such thing as Stouffer's stovetop stuffing

loving same! I just went through this while watching the new season of Solar Opposites because they make a comment about it; which lead to me diving down the rabbit hole and gently caress me it's true.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I could have sworn that there was an off-brand bagged cereal called Fruit Dots that were basically just round Trix during the time after & before the existence of round Trix. It's why I was happy about Trix going back to their original round shape, but it made them like Fruit Dots. That said, I can find absolutely no evidence that Fruit Dots ever existed and when I try to Google them, all I get for results are those weird gross gummy candies & various other candy. :psyduck:

Also, people I thought were dead long before they actually died:
- Nelson Mandela (duh)
- Barbara Walters
- Angela Lansbury
- Tony Bennett

For years I swear I read an obituary for Henry Winkler. I know that I didn't, I had to be confusing him with someone else, but couldn't even guess to who, because I was like 11.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ommin posted:

loving same! I just went through this while watching the new season of Solar Opposites because they make a comment about it; which lead to me diving down the rabbit hole and gently caress me it's true.
Yeah it makes me feel dumb that I think some random frozen dinner company would ever make instant stuffing but it's there in my brain even though I genuinely wish it wasn't

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

For years I swear I read an obituary for Henry Winkler. I know that I didn't, I had to be confusing him with someone else, but couldn't even guess to who, because I was like 11.

Bob Denver is my guess.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Huh, the Stovetop one is new, I hadn't heard of that one before. It's interesting to me because I have eaten a lot of that and it's sort of a cultural home-cooking meme in the US, but I have never associated a parent brand with it. It's just Stovetop stuffing. Like Chapelle had a bit about having it at a friend's house in his first comeback special and I'm pretty sure he just calls it Stovetop throughout the routine.

Also, yeah, I just realized that Stouffer's is only frozen foods too. I wonder how that one got started.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I went searching because I am not really hooked by Stouffer's having anything to do with Stovetop but have a vague memory of that sort of alliteration. While I'm here I will put out my guess that they had an ad campaign trying to rehabilitate Stovetop form people who want to stuff their bird with some catchy alliterated phrase like 'Stovetop is for stuffers'.

Anyway I found this crazy machine generated recipe written by an AI who is clearly in the correct universe
https://areyoufashion.com/food-drink/stouffers-stove-top-stuffing/

quote:

What is Stouffer?
This is the stovetop stuffing from Stouffer’s that you have been looking for. It tastes just as good and it only takes three minutes on the stovetop versus an hour in the oven! This recipe calls for store-bought bread or sourdough, but if you want to get a little more creative we’ve got some ideas for you.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
in Michigan we call it Meijer's, Kroger's, etc. pretty often also. i wouldn't say it's ubiquitous here though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm leaning on the side of "it's just the alliteration"

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Just remembered this really odd false memory that I have about this one episode of Shining Time Station (the PBS show that was the original vehicle for Thomas the Tank Engine in the US) where Mr. Conductor's evil twin gets brought to life and goes on a rampage.

Specifically, the false memory is of the scene where he stomps on a box of candies for the lulz while proclaiming "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

I remember this clearly because as a wee kid that line confused me and I assumed he meant licorice.

When going back to review that episode decades later thanks to it being up on YouTube, I discovered that he doesn't say that at all during that scene.

Funny thing, Mr. Conductor (and consequently his evil twin) is played by George Carlin, so I suspect that maybe I saw some footage of Carlin's stand-up as a kid and got that memory mixed up with his appearance on Shining Time Station because that phrase absolutely sounds like something he'd say in a non-kid-show context.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Doctor Bishop posted:

Specifically, the false memory is of the scene where he stomps on a box of candies for the lulz while proclaiming "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

Lol, I want to see that scene, having spent way too much time in front of that show while watching my younger brother. Carlin was such a weird get for that show, finding out about his actual career later on was such a weird moment, coming from a sheltered, conservative household.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Is it more or less wierd than the other two actors to portray the character being Alec Baldwin and Ringo goddamn Starr?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flavor.flv posted:

Is it more or less wierd than the other two actors to portray the character being Alec Baldwin and Ringo goddamn Starr?

Wait til you hear which one has the most confirmed kills

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

All people who were first introduced to me via Thomas the Tank :suicide:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

All people who were first introduced to me via Thomas the Tank :suicide:

A bit surprised you saw Thomas before you heard the beatles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

A bit surprised you saw Thomas before you heard the beatles

Oh, I'm sure I randomly heard them on the radio sometimes, but I wouldn't recognize them. I just sorta lumped rock music from the 60s onward together into a vague "bad" category at the time, since my dad didn't like listening to it. Anyways, probably enough sidetracking about my weird family life, at least it got better later.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I want to see that scene, having spent way too much time in front of that show while watching my younger brother. Carlin was such a weird get for that show, finding out about his actual career later on was such a weird moment, coming from a sheltered, conservative household.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8AIyA30ZVI&t=599s

...I somehow forgot that he actually said half of the phrase, so it might've actually been a memory of an adult in the room completing the classic phrase that I conflated with the show.

e: fixed the timestamp

Molrok
May 30, 2011

I managed to convince myself there is a special-for-TV-only version of Return of the Jedi that uses this shot of the frog (worrt) eating a hairy bug (sand skitter) at around 17ish minutes and it's not in any preserved version of RoTJ since it wont show up in any "differences between versions" compilations.

This is the actual scene that happens at 17ish minutes:

I'm still 50-50 on if I managed to fabricate a memory of seeing the first one on cable OR that there is some weirdo version that never got released on digital / physical media.

The first image is real in sense that you can find behind the scenes shots of that from when they filmed RoTJ in the 1970s

(release the frog cut Disney)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

In "Scary Movie 2", I could have sworn Chris Elliott's character says "Take my strong hand!" in a particular scene. My friend and I independently have quoted "take m'strong hand!" to each other. It turns out he says "Take my little hand!"

The video of the drat scene posted on Comedy Central's youtube is even called "Take my strong hand!". There's other posts online of people having this same revelation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuUgVgtoVg&t=144s

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dont suppose you've seen the Thomas the Tank Engine version where they dubbed in his stand up ?

https://youtu.be/2a_gW1KvuFk?si=GAZcJ3mZB2LTYfcv

Seems odd to me though since Ringo Starr was my childhood Thomas narrator.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SgtScruffy posted:

In "Scary Movie 2", I could have sworn Chris Elliott's character says "Take my strong hand!" in a particular scene. My friend and I independently have quoted "take m'strong hand!" to each other. It turns out he says "Take my little hand!"

The video of the drat scene posted on Comedy Central's youtube is even called "Take my strong hand!". There's other posts online of people having this same revelation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuUgVgtoVg&t=144s

this is so weirdly niche and specific, but I also say "take my strong hand" with my sister so my mind is blown

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He does say "I better use my strong hand" at a different part so I think we all just got them mixed together.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Molrok posted:

The first image is real in sense that you can find behind the scenes shots of that from when they filmed RoTJ in the 1970s

Nerd alert

Jedi started filming in 1982 and was released in 1983.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

Jedi started filming in 1982

...or did it? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
This isn't new, but it was quite a revelation a few years ago that Lance Boyle from Megarace wasn't played by Matt Frewer