Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

Somber has conflicting scum/town reports, though. Do we wanna dunk Somber so we know whose cop is more likely to be legit?

##vote Somberbrero

I'd gladly jump back to Boogie, though.

Weasel wording & Wishy-washy 😔 ##vote Pmush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Look, I just want to nail down the cop types here. We have a person with two different people giving two different reads. In the end, when they flip it gives us some reads to build off of. With the info we have I want to narrow it down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is science tastic always like this or mafia snooze doesn't know them

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

I’m down to calibrate.

##vote Somber

Scientastic posted:

Dont know why I find SNG’s vote scummier than pMush’s, I just do

It displays less original thought, so Pmush's vote might seem more genuine 🤷‍♂️ I have a better gut feeling about Pmush as scum though .

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am guessing your point relates to something in the presentation of Scientastic's arguments, would you expand on that❓

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sandnavyguy posted:

Look, I just want to nail down the cop types here. We have a person with two different people giving two different reads. In the end, when they flip it gives us some reads to build off of. With the info we have I want to narrow it down.

Assuming two scum players, you’re advocating executing a player to test the accuracy of a cop claim

If Somber is scum, great, but we can’t trust the accuracy of the cop results

If Somber is town, that would be EXLO tomorrow and we still can’t trust the accuracy of the cop results

Testing the claims is not a good reason for executing anyone

If you think Somber is scum, fine, but don’t paint it as the logical solution to a puzzle, because it’s not

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If the crux of anyone’s argument is a cop claim, that argument is completely worthless based on what we have seen so far

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

Assuming two scum players, you’re advocating executing a player to test the accuracy of a cop claim

If Somber is scum, great, but we can’t trust the accuracy of the cop results

If Somber is town, that would be EXLO tomorrow and we still can’t trust the accuracy of the cop results

Testing the claims is not a good reason for executing anyone

If you think Somber is scum, fine, but don’t paint it as the logical solution to a puzzle, because it’s not

I'll go ahead and be dull in pointing out that this presumes two Scumbs, which is not a given 🙃

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Surely a safe assumption? One scum is not a game of mafia, and three scum is one misexecution and the game’s over, it’s got to be two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't tell if Sci just isn't seeing the value in one of them being proven legit wrong and one of them being much more credible, or if he's being actively disingenuous. If we ignore all cop results, what we've got is (probably) a 7/2 all vanilla game, which is pretty strongly scum-biased.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Snooze Cruise posted:

Always like what? Apocalyptic?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

Surely a safe assumption? One scum is not a game of mafia, and three scum is one misexecution and the game’s over, it’s got to be two.

Likely, but an assumption nevertheless friend 🙂 This isn't exactly a standard game so far. Just want it noted before we travel too far down this proverbial garden path.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

Likely, but an assumption nevertheless friend 🙂 This isn't exactly a standard game so far. Just want it noted before we travel too far down this proverbial garden path.

Point taken

Nonetheless, I think it is very risky to try to solve the game on D1

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

PMush Perfect posted:

I can't tell if Sci just isn't seeing the value in one of them being proven legit wrong and one of them being much more credible, or if he's being actively disingenuous. If we ignore all cop results, what we've got is (probably) a 7/2 all vanilla game, which is pretty strongly scum-biased.

So tell me, what happens when we have one who is wrong and one who is right? What do scum do that night?

What have we gained?

I am going to work on the assumption that some cops return town results on everyone, some return scum results in everyone, some return random results and some return the opposite result

Hell, it could even be that Bif has a dice roll for each of us and none of us are actually cops, we just think we are

I am proposing that we play a game of mafia, where you try to deduce who is in the informed minority from their actions and words. You are proposing that we try to solve the game like a logic puzzle.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Somberbrero posted:

I am guessing your point relates to something in the presentation of Scientastic's arguments, would you expand on that❓

snooze will make a lot of posts and be train of thoughty but the way they do it feels alsmot... planned?!/1/1/q z[iojg r

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

You are trying to solve the game d1 based on a very silly mass claim. Better to play to reads rather than early setup guesses, no?

🕵️ Disingenuous Count: 1

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Somberbrero posted:

You are trying to solve the game d1 based on a very silly mass claim. Better to play to reads rather than early setup guesses, no?

🕵️ Disingenuous Count: 1

Who is this mysterious Count?!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Snooze Cruise posted:

snooze will make a lot of posts and be train of thoughty but the way they do it feels alsmot... planned?!/1/1/q z[iojg r

I don’t agree with the conclusion, obviously, but this is what we should be doing: actually playing mafia by reading people’s posts and stating our feelings about their alignment based on that reading

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh then yah 😃

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Scientastic posted:

I don’t agree with the conclusion, obviously, but this is what we should be doing: actually playing mafia by reading people’s posts and stating our feelings about their alignment based on that reading

im glad we both understand how to play game, oftentimes mafia players don't even know that... u r wise

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Snooze Cruise posted:

And that’s just my natural intelligence and erudition you’re seeing, I never plan

Also, I have to post in big bursts, because I am never awake at the same time as the rest of the game

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And it is way past my bedtime right now, so I will bid you all goodnight, don’t turbo anyone while I’m asleep

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i kinda want to kill you for saying natural intellgience

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let's put this another way. If we can't trust investigation results, then this is basically D1, and the dunk is going to be completely spurious anyways. But if we can trust them, then we should! Either way, we have nothing to lose by making a D1 flip that gives us information. Some of that information might just be "how everyone reacted to the idea, in retrospect with a flip."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scientastic posted:

And it is way past my bedtime right now, so I will bid you all goodnight, don’t turbo anyone while I’m asleep
I should really refresh before posting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

Let's put this another way. If we can't trust investigation results, then this is basically D1, and the dunk is going to be completely spurious anyways. But if we can trust them, then we should! Either way, we have nothing to lose by making a D1 flip that gives us information. Some of that information might just be "how everyone reacted to the idea, in retrospect with a flip."

I like the part where we infer things based on how people react to discussion topics 😃 I don't like the part where we write off today and just try to gather information rather than lunch a member of the Scumb Team 😟

'If we can trust them, then we should' is very good though 👏

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MAINFRAME - Tiles on the cube are still smouldering, casting the framework in a soft glow. Virescent PLAY and PRINT keys shine on the keyboard.

YOU - Press PLAY again.

Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (3): Snooze Cruise, PMush Perfect, sandnavyguy
sandnavyguy (2): DGK2000, Scientastic
PMush Perfect (2): dmboogie, Scientastic, Scientastic, Somberbrero
Snooze Cruise (0): sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy
dmboogie (0): PMush Perfect, PMush Perfect
DGK2000 (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (0):

LOGIC [Trivial: Success] With 7 alive, it takes 4 votes to execute.

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Medium: Success] The current deadline is September 11th, 2020 at 2 a.m. AEST -- that's in about 16 hours, 48 minutes.

##unvote

Somber's at -1. I'll probably be putting my vote back down before the end of tonight, but I wanna hear what everyone has to say first. Boogie and DGK have been pretty quiet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I can't believe I almost get lunched today 🥺

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

uhhhhh lemme think

possibilities:

myself: sane, naive, insane
snooze: sane, paranoid, insane

if somber is scum, that means:

myself: naive, insane
snooze: sane, paranoid

if somber is town, that means:

myself: naive, sane
snooze: paranoid, insane

killing somber here will check off one possibility for two people basically and im not sure if thats the best to go all-in on for a 7-person game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i mean if we're approaching the game as a logic puzzle somber flip objectively gives us the most information but i dunno SNG's vote there looks kind of like a quiet bandwagon using the "logic puzzle" as an easy justification

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dmboogie posted:

uhhhhh lemme think

possibilities:

myself: sane, naive, insane
snooze: sane, paranoid, insane

if somber is scum, that means:

myself: naive, insane
snooze: sane, paranoid

if somber is town, that means:

myself: naive, sane
snooze: paranoid, insane

killing somber here will check off one possibility for two people basically and im not sure if thats the best to go all-in on for a 7-person game

Or Snoozington Cruisington is not only a member of the Mafia, but in fact the Godfather of the organization 😱 There are more possibilities there that we could be unaware of at this point too.

Let me ask everyone this, and I would like everyone to please do me a biiiiiiig favor in their answering by simply responding yes 👍 or no 👎

Do you think it would be good design, generally speaking, to give a member of the Town a valid 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚉𝚎𝚛𝚘 investigation power?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Do you think it would be good design, generally speaking, to give a member of the Town a valid 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚉𝚎𝚛𝚘 investigation power?
With seven players? Yes. Mechanically, this game could very well just be a gimmick 9-man, but Bif decided to run with seven and have a night zero to skip the uneventful D1.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

It’s not a bandwagon so much as trying to puzzle it out. There are between 4-6 of us, likely all cops, how many cop types are their? Makes sense to have one of each Or maybe 2 sane. So I’d rather try To narrow it down some how, and It’s not being disingenuous to say that in a vacuum, a somber flip has more opportunities for information to be given than random chance since we have two given results on them. Which at this point if we instead do as requested and ignore our cop claims, swings this drastically to scums benefit. Which I don’t like.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ftfy 🤡

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

It’s not a bandwagon so much as trying to puzzle it out. There are between 4-6 of us, likely all cops, how many cop types are their? Makes sense to have one of each Or maybe 2 sane. So I’d rather try To narrow it down some how, and It’s not being disingenuous to say that in a vacuum, a somber flip has more opportunities for information to be given than random chance since we have two given results on them. Which at this point if we instead do as requested and ignore our cop claims, swings this drastically to scums benefit. Which I don’t like.

Hello Sandnavy! I think you missed my question because you didn't answer it 🙂

Why would at lunch someone at random instead of making an informed decision based off our discussion?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We ARE having an informed discussion. If you have any better ideas, Somber, give us them! Provide an alternative besides just OMGUSing at me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

Provide an alternative besides just OMGUSing at me.

I feel comfortable that your Town game is substantially better than to say this. I have been contributing faithfully to the conversation and characterising my vote as reactionary in no way addresses the point. You very clearly try to mitigate culpability to avoid a strong association with my execution at least twice in the post where you voted for me 😑

As I know that I am Town, I know the investigation is useless. When the likely scenario is that we have two plays before we lose, it seems very silly to waste one of those plays when I already know the answer.

You already have one investigation with a Scumb result. The result is direct from the moderator.

The other Scumb result comes with a conflicting Town result as well. The Scumb result comes from a player, and so you personally cannot speak to its authenticity at this point.

If you believe the investigations have value, it seems obvious you would pick the former. As far as using my flip to determine additional setup information,

Scientastic posted:

And the idea that we will learn anything about the game that we don’t already know is bollocks and a bad reason to vote for someone

For the record, I have a strong Town read on Dmboogie as the post in which they worked through different possibilities felt very genuine 🙂

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, now I'm also comfortable with voting you because you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, now I'm also comfortable with voting you because you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

PMush Perfect posted:

Provide an alternative besides just OMGUSing at me.

🤡