Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's your opinion on Bob's Burgers?
It's good!
It's bad!
Not my cup of tea but that's just me
Anyone who likes Jimmy Jr is a loving baby killer
His name is bob burger
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's one of those shows that even if I don't like an episode on first view I grow to enjoy it on repeat viewings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i started watching season.... 11? 13? out of boredom and i've wrapped back through season 1 and now im watching season 6... it makes me giggle sometimes and its good background noise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the characters annoy me often but somehow it's endearing? wtf is that about

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

now we're both dawson

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Science Court loving owned why doesn't anyone ever talk about Science Court

I didn't think anyone else even remembered Science Court until now. The episode on polling was probably one of the most informative things I'd ever watched in my life. It really emphasized how inherent bias, skewed sampling and undersampling can return junk data.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
my mom calls him the buttler

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A top 10 episode for sure. Also top ten: belchies, carpe museum. I'll think of more later

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jason stop saying wee-ow

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ow, my face!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok I suppose but not something I'd voluntarily seek to watch. Just feels kind of plain and boring. Archer is the better John Benjamin show. Yes even now :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

the only bad musical episode is when louise has a fever dream about the melty kuchikopi and they do variations on the same song like four times like the goddamned wizard of oz

none shall pass - gas! *pppht*

e: a funny tidbit about that ep is Kuchi Kopi is its own thing but all the other ones are actual Japanese mythological creatures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akkorokamui
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodomeki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuchi

I'm just gonna call them all Hello Kitty!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 14, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

It's ok I suppose but not something I'd voluntarily seek to watch. Just feels kind of plain and boring. Archer is the better John Benjamin show. Yes even now :colbert:

uh oh someone hasnt seen home movies

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm like a british lady with my garden
it's a dream come true

i wanna take his stupid neck and wring it
that's what i wanna do too - but to him!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

2020 sucks because the bobs burgers movie got pushed out a year.

Yeah that sucks and I was looking forward to it.

Anyway Burgers are good. Here is my favorite scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iVRozrFohM

On Thanksgiving now I like watching all the Thanksgiving episodes and sing the kill the turkey song with my wife.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it feels like somewhere after season 6-7 they kind of moved away from the "music is intentionally bad as the joke" to "we're doing this earnestly" and i don't know how i feel about that. give gene back his keyboard!
also the latest buttworms episode? a crime. i hate how often the show uses puke as the joke. Big Mouth too. the sound of retching has Never Been Funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't think the music was intentionally bad so much as it was leads don't have the best singing voices. The lyrics tend to be pretty decent and the music itself is good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it feels like somewhere after season 6-7 they kind of moved away from the "music is intentionally bad as the joke" to "we're doing this earnestly" and i don't know how i feel about that. give gene back his keyboard!
also the latest buttworms episode? a crime. i hate how often the show uses puke as the joke. Big Mouth too. the sound of retching has Never Been Funny.

I broadly agree with you but Linda's retching noise cracks me up every time (it helps that my wife makes the exact same sound when she's grossed out by something)

I think the only really funny part of the buttworms episode was Bob's reaction after doing an internet search on pinworms

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I broadly agree with you but Linda's retching noise cracks me up every time (it helps that my wife makes the exact same sound when she's grossed out by something)

I think the only really funny part of the buttworms episode was Bob's reaction after doing an internet search on pinworms

The pinworm episode would likely have hit a lot better if covid hadn't spread as much. They are claiming it was written before covid and was left unchanged. Gene eating that tot off the floor would have been funny and not the cringe / gross out reaction most people had. The entire episode was off because of it. It was supposed to seem like a ridiculous situation but it actually was a look at a less chaotic situation than we're living in. I think it's an episode that will be an interesting rewatch in 5-6 years when this is hopefully behind us.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah the tater-tot thing was loving disgusting regardless of the current pandemic situation.

Linda's whole arc in that episode felt like a G-rated rejected Always Sunny plot.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
On second watching of the pinworm episode I was already enjoying it a lot more. The tater tot is gross and it's gross that they run a restaurant and have probably been passing the worms to customers. Hugo would have a justifiable field day with this one. But I like the episode pretty well.

Linda should play classical music at home and Bob and Linda should help their kids do better in school.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cafe Barbarian posted:

On second watching of the pinworm episode I was already enjoying it a lot more. The tater tot is gross and it's gross that they run a restaurant and have probably been passing the worms to customers. Hugo would have a justifiable field day with this one. But I like the episode pretty well.

Linda should play classical music at home and Bob and Linda should help their kids do better in school.

Hugo should have showed up, and then have been the source of the worms.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

peter pescadero is loving disgusting

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
did everyone else know about pinworms growing up? i somehow didn't realize they were a specific thing until, uh. i saw the episode. and then it dawned on me how much less itchy my rear end in a top hat is as an adult than it was as a child.

this has been a Very Special Episode of I Learned A Thing, with Phiz Kalifa.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
the best part of the show is how it normalizes violating child labor laws

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Same but unironically

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

did everyone else know about pinworms growing up? i somehow didn't realize they were a specific thing until, uh. i saw the episode. and then it dawned on me how much less itchy my rear end in a top hat is as an adult than it was as a child.

Not until I was in college, when we had recurring breakouts every time a certain roommate went back to his parents place and played with their dog.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's one of the secret rites you learn about when you have children. pinworms are by far the most common parasite worm in humans, endemic throughout all countries and existing at all class strata. you can get pinworm meds OTC at any drug store

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Speleothing posted:

Not until I was in college, when we had recurring breakouts every time a certain roommate went back to his parents place and played with their dog.

...what was he doing with the dog

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Milo and POTUS posted:

...what was he doing with the dog

Don't try and tell me you've never rubbed your butt on a dogs butt

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Don't try and tell me you've never rubbed your butt on a dogs butt

This reminds me of one of those bachelor threads where someone said they not only used their socks as nature's napkins but also nearby cats and dogs to wipe their wet or dirty hands.

I don't know why but that's the funniest drat thing to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You do that because it's funny not because you want clean hands jesus

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

the best part of the show is how it normalizes violating child labor laws

quote:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides for certain exemptions. Minors under age 16 working in a business solely owned or operated by their parents or by persons standing in place of their parents, can work any time of day and for any number of hours.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

well that's kind of hosed up

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

Don't worry, all of the kids are actually played by adults and get paid for their labor.

I think the labor law exception is probably a cutout for farmers you know farmers have to have their kids work the land.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Don't worry, all of the kids are actually played by adults and get paid for their labor.

I think the labor law exception is probably a cutout for farmers you know farmers have to have their kids work the land.

that's a part of it but small family owned restaurants really commonly lean on their kids for cheap labor, for the same reason bob burger does - he can't afford to pay employees to do it, it has to get done, and getting the kids to pitch in is better than the restaurant going broke

i know someone who basically grew up in her dad's pizza joint and she was bussing tables by age ten. that's just the nature of family business sometimes. it's been a norm in human existence for all but the last couple hundred years, really - having a childhood is a luxury for the modern age

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean to an extent it's also a work-is-home situation, especially in Bob's case - they literally live above the restaurant.

I dunno, my pops is an electronics engineer and I grew up helping him with minor tasks - I still remember reloading those pen-style ink cartridges into the giant-rear end plotter we had in the basement, and troubleshooting the old 28.8 modem.

Plus, in the case of the show, it's been both heavily implied and explicitly expressed that Bob's lifelong dream is for Louise to grow up and take over the restaurant.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also on the subject of Bob and Louise, their relationship is absolutely adorable to me. I dunno how realistic it actually is or isn't, but the little moments where they let slip how much they actually care for each other (the toilet seat song comes to mind) really melts my cold dead heart.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What toilet seat thing

e: oh where he gets stuck. I thought u were talking about the other toilet seat thing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean to an extent it's also a work-is-home situation, especially in Bob's case - they literally live above the restaurant.

I dunno, my pops is an electronics engineer and I grew up helping him with minor tasks - I still remember reloading those pen-style ink cartridges into the giant-rear end plotter we had in the basement, and troubleshooting the old 28.8 modem.

Plus, in the case of the show, it's been both heavily implied and explicitly expressed that Bob's lifelong dream is for Louise to grow up and take over the restaurant.

Tina. His dream for Louise is probably that she not kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Tina. His dream for Louise is probably that she not kill someone.

Louise literally says it in the museum episode, plus the way she gets jealous when Bob pays attention to someone else (the community garden episode), and the closeness they have that nobody else in the family has (Hawk & Chick, the "burn unit" stuff)

Bob's dream for Tina is probably that she gets to adulthood without being forced to register as a sex offender.