Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Wrar posted:

Not a movie but The Good Place nailed the landing. If you haven't seen it it should bring some joy into your life.

Oh man yes, it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So I work at a nice university in the UK. Term is due to start in like 2 weeks and we still don't know what sort of teaching is going to be happening here. We seem to be going for a hybrid in person/recorded set up with massively reduced capacity in teaching spaces. We have a 500 seater lecture theatre which is down to 43 usable seats going by standard 2m social distancing regulations. Other rooms have been basically reduced to tiny groups and they're going to put queuing systems in places that weave in and out of the buildings. Around campus dudes have been putting stickers on the floors and walls turning buildings and walkways into a one way system, we're enforcing masks indoors.

Oh and as mentioned term hasn't started yet and there's virtually nobody on campus but there's an entire building of students who have the 'rona already so things are going to be great. :allears:

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

It's airborne for hours indoors unless the HVAC has really good filters and does a ton of air changes per hour, and the 6 foot rule is a bare minimum for when you can't employ more effective methods, which everyone seems to have forgotten. Under no circumstances would I open that school, but apparently that doesn't matter. Open the shark beach and jurassic park back up too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

Not a movie but The Good Place nailed the landing. If you haven't seen it it should bring some joy into your life.

really been anxiously waiting for the last season to be available for streaming...looks like it will be on netflix finally this weekend!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's also not a movie but zerozerozero is excellent.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Went to the junkyard, man haven't been in a while this is a private one but I know the owner let me scrounge for some headrests for my Turbo Atrai I just got. Speaking of which here is a nice little red light pull on the way back to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwnuCiPUkA

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The Good Place is a show with a premise that aims pretty high and an inconsistent execution that averages out to good-ish, despite its simultaneously vacuous and problematic world building. I'm sure the missus will make me watch the finale and I'll probably enjoy it, but I have ~opinions~ about the show

Not to put Sartre on a pedestal or anything, but I feel like "No Exit, but love finds an exit" doesn't live up to the premise when Jason and Tahani's relationship sucks the energy out of every episode that focuses on it, and the only genuinely likeable characters are the only ones not ripped from the play. I will give them kudos for looking at the kind of "empty" character of Valet and making him completely empty headed instead. If it was an intentional move and not just needing more levity, it's brilliant, but either way, Jason is pretty fun

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

It's airborne for hours indoors unless the HVAC has really good filters and does a ton of air changes per hour, and the 6 foot rule is a bare minimum for when you can't employ more effective methods, which everyone seems to have forgotten. Under no circumstances would I open that school, but apparently that doesn't matter. Open the shark beach and jurassic park back up too.

RIP me I guess. Anyone want my stuff?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wrar posted:

Top three show of all time for me.

The Door Frame posted:

The Good Place is a show with a premise that aims pretty high and an inconsistent execution that averages out to good-ish, despite its simultaneously vacuous and problematic world building. I'm sure the missus will make me watch the finale and I'll probably enjoy it, but I have ~opinions~ about the show

ignore this bad opinion

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We've been doing Money Heist (with original Spanish sound track, of course) recently and I highly recommend it.

In nerd news, I'm finally about to somewhat understand FreeIPA and HOLY gently caress is it a game changer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cobra Kai is a fun show especially if you've seen Karate Kid and know the backstory

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked Cobra Kai but the sex scene between Daniel and Johnny was a little graphic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bird with big dick posted:

I liked Cobra Kai but the sex scene between Daniel and Johnny was a little graphic.

They put a very tasteful black bar when needed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Cobra Kai is a fun show especially if you've seen Karate Kid and know the backstory

I like to think this is canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kastein posted:

Anecdotal, but in August we opened our offices at no more than 25% occupancy per floor, thermometer checks 2x a day, masks on always unless you're alone in your office, one person at a time in any common area including the elevators and restrooms. Any floor with an infection goes mandatory work-from-home for 2 weeks. We went from 9 total infections from March to August (remote only) to 73 so far in August-September. Probably going to pull the plug again for October.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

They put a very tasteful black bar when needed.

I've had the black bar, it's very tasteful.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Goober Peas posted:

Anecdotal, but in August we opened our offices at no more than 25% occupancy per floor, thermometer checks 2x a day, masks on always unless you're alone in your office, one person at a time in any common area including the elevators and restrooms. Any floor with an infection goes mandatory work-from-home for 2 weeks. We went from 9 total infections from March to August (remote only) to 73 so far in August-September. Probably going to pull the plug again for October.

:stonk: My office has been two teams since March, masks mandatory. Next week they go back to everyone back full time...and I've gotta go in and complete some training to retain access. We're a small group but there's still 2-3 of us in each office. I want to go back but nearly everyone has kids that are back in school and it just seems like I should work from home as long as they'll let me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The company I work for is Remarkably Conservative, and has been talking about (though, thankfully, not yet acting upon) how everyone would be just fine if we all went in to the office since ... uh, April. It's an interesting contrast with my wife's company (which is orders of magnitude larger), which has openly committed to "no one returns to offices until it is safe - i.e. an effective vaccine is available and broadly distributed/received".

We both work in healthcare, make of that what you will.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And locally the infection rate has gone down since August 1st - from 10% to around 6%. Enough that the city is allowing indoor bars to reopen next week. I think it really is about how often the air is circulated - our office towers were just 'ok' pre-COVID.

Also to share, I had my 6 month dentist visit yesterday and they literally put a giant hose hooked to a giant portable air purifier in my face the whole time my mask was off.

edit: also 'Remarkably Conservative' reminded me of the MADtv parody 'Lowered Expectations' dating service.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wrar posted:

100%. I watched through the whole series a few times now. Not every episode is a 10/10 but on the whole it's nearly perfect to me. The only episodes I haven't seen as much are the beginning of season 4 so I'm excited to run thru them again.

I even listened to the entire podcast.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Saving this in case my office has a push to reopen, goddamn

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Wait. You can take your mask off in your office, which is still on the same hvac as everything else? It pulls your unmasked breath into the building? Why.

Also, very happy my company stopped doing monthly wfh extensions and just said "You know what, we'll see you in person in April. Maybe."

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Cross-posting from the mechanical failures thread, because this didn't really belong there.

sharkytm posted:

This isn't Reddit (thankfully), but please please post a thread. It sounds like an interesting job and any details you can share would be great.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd be interested to hear tolerances, materials used, etc. if it is like an arms race to gain an advantage (no matter how slight) within the regs of whatever series.

Thanks! :) I predominantly work on endurance racing stuff, but there's a broad spread of things I've touched.

The arms race is very series dependent. Some rulebooks are very free, some explicitly prohibit certain materials and some series have fixed prices for various parts of the car which preclude any exotic materials. Yet more series are either spec or defacto-spec where there's only one supplier, so as long as you reach the weight target everybody's happy.

Gear steels are an extremely tightly held secrets, but suffice to say we have some unique grades available as-well as common commercial gear steels.

In terms of tolerances, for the gears themselves we can produce some incredibly precise parts, good enough they can be used as reference parts to compare other gears to.

One key difference between motorsport and road cars is motorsport almost never* has to give any consideration to NVH, our primary objectives are reliability and ease of assembly. My go-to thought is that at some point, some poor mechanic is going to be trying to assemble this stuff at 3am in a cold garage and just needs it to slam together. With that in mind the tolerances on parts are often quite fine, but the fit between parts is often deliberately loose, much looser than many automotive companies would tolerate.

*In a previous life a place I worked had to make some helical cut, dog engagement gears for a national rally championship, because the noise limit was so low the transmission whine was actually blowing through it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Door Frame posted:

Not to put Sartre on a pedestal or anything, but I feel like "No Exit, but love finds an exit" doesn't live up to the premise when Jason and Tahani's relationship sucks the energy out of every episode that focuses on it, and the only genuinely likeable characters are the only ones not ripped from the play. I will give them kudos for looking at the kind of "empty" character of Valet and making him completely empty headed instead. If it was an intentional move and not just needing more levity, it's brilliant, but either way, Jason is pretty fun

Where did you stop watching? Based on what you've said where you stopped is the tip of the iceberg.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My place is work from home until at least June or July and it will probably be pushed out further until enough people have been vaccinated. I'm not really expecting to set foot in the office at all in 2021.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Galler posted:

My place is work from home until at least June or July and it will probably be pushed out further until enough people have been vaccinated. I'm not really expecting to set foot in the office at all in 2021.

Same here and due to healthcare I fully expect to be required to vaccinate to continue remote site visits, early on at that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Took Brokeback to get inspected today. Passed safety fine, but my dumbass was thinking "okay, tag expires in December, that means I can get it inspected in September and renew at the end of the month".

Nope. Soon as they put the VIN into the computer, they told me I'd need to come back Oct 1st. My dumbass wasn't thinking about the tag expiring on the last day of the month. :downsgun: I'm a bit nervous since it's already chucked P0420 at me once so far, so I'll definitely be back on the 1st. Tires are also getting close to the wear bars, but I won't have the money for new ones until Nov or Dec.

Goober Peas posted:

And locally the infection rate has gone down since August 1st - from 10% to around 6%. Enough that the city is allowing indoor bars to reopen next week. I think it really is about how often the air is circulated - our office towers were just 'ok' pre-COVID.

Also to share, I had my 6 month dentist visit yesterday and they literally put a giant hose hooked to a giant portable air purifier in my face the whole time my mask was off.

edit: also 'Remarkably Conservative' reminded me of the MADtv parody 'Lowered Expectations' dating service.

Our positivity rate is down to 5.1% as of today (for the city). Still no bars happening anytime soon, state-wide, but they've loosened what counts as a "restaurant with a bar" (which CAN open). Just having a food truck in your parking lot is enough, or a microwave and basic foods, so long as the food sales are at least 50% of the overall income for the address now.

The bulk of them are probably going to fail, though a few locally owned ones landed some hefty subsidies and loans (good for them).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Alarbus posted:

Wait. You can take your mask off in your office, which is still on the same hvac as everything else? It pulls your unmasked breath into the building? Why.

Also, very happy my company stopped doing monthly wfh extensions and just said "You know what, we'll see you in person in April. Maybe."

Yes, and their reasoning (not saying it's good reasoning) is there's a 6 foot impermeable barrier between you and anyone else. None of the intakes are in individual offices. So if you're in cubical land, you have to keep your mask on the entire time.

And by their logic, if you close your door with only you inside, the germies stay inside the office :rolleyes: which along with all common areas and used cubicals are strategically (via daily check-in) sanitized by the cleaning crew each night.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 23, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

The company I work for is Remarkably Conservative, and has been talking about (though, thankfully, not yet acting upon) how everyone would be just fine if we all went in to the office since ... uh, April. It's an interesting contrast with my wife's company (which is orders of magnitude larger), which has openly committed to "no one returns to offices until it is safe - i.e. an effective vaccine is available and broadly distributed/received".

We both work in healthcare, make of that what you will.

The company I work at, as a contractor, isn't planning on going back into the office until next year at the earliest, and that's only if the infection rate goes down three weeks running in the area local to each office, even then will only go back to 15% occupancy (we're working on a desk reservation system,) and will go back to WFH if the rate starts rising again for more than a few days. I currently go in once a week for hands-on stuff, as I'm deskside support, so have to actually build machines and ship or hand them off. Can't really do that at home. Masks in the building, unless at desk with no one around.
My office is in the Dallas area, so unless our governor stops caving in (he won't, he's Republican) we won't be going back in for quite some time.
We're in IT - antivirus (and computer/LAN security), ironically enough.

I hate to be so harsh, but to be realistic, the problem is at least somewhat self-correcting. Those that don't think it's a big deal or is a hoax are going to get sick, and possibly die. The part that's unpalatable about that is the collateral damage of everyone around the dumbasses who won't take precautions. Disease, much like science itself, doesn't give a poo poo if you believe in it or not. It will still affect you. I'd like to state for the record that I don't want those people to die - I'd prefer that they wise up and take the necessary precautions. 200K dead is way more than enough.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My company isn't pushing anyone back, they understand and have been great about my medical issues. The customer has been great as well about me working remote. Just need to go in and complete this training to avoid losing access and a whole bunch of paperwork, waiting for things to turned back on. To go back for a couple days next week I'm getting a covid test tomorrow, once that passes clear they'll reactivate my badge and let me back in the buildings.

Brother snagged me a nice chair from his office downsizing so I can finally setup an office and stop sitting on the couch all drat day.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Where I used to work were only extended month to month when other companies in the a area did it because the CEO is a wanker who wants his people in the building so he can lord over them from his corner office. They pushed back to 2021 before I left but constantly were talking about getting people back sooner blah blah blah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We originally expected to be back in the office in May.

Hahahaha yeah no right now we're balancing the costs of renewing our lease on our 30-person office + storage area + lab vs. leasing a smaller 5-8 person office over a warehouse and basically building a "wfh rack" in the warehouse with everyone's PC powered on and VPN-accessible in it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

At what point does it become cheaper to just spin up VMs for everyone vs running all of those individual PCs, and having to have someone go in occasionally when the PCs get pissy vs just restarting the VM?

Serious question. I've been out of actual IT since the 90s, VMs weren't really a thing in those days.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BigPaddy posted:

Where I used to work were only extended month to month when other companies in the a area did it because the CEO is a wanker who wants his people in the building so he can lord over them from his corner office. They pushed back to 2021 before I left but constantly were talking about getting people back sooner blah blah blah.

Ya my CEO originally posted that he would "allow" us to WFH (we are in the Bay Area OG epicenter btw)

And a week or two ago I went in to the office to work because my internet was out and was told I had to let him know, so I sent the email saying I was working at the office for the day due to my internet being out and he got indignant that I didn't ask his permission to work from the office prior to coming in. :psyduck:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

STR posted:

At what point does it become cheaper to just spin up VMs for everyone vs running all of those individual PCs, and having to have someone go in occasionally when the PCs get pissy vs just restarting the VM?

Serious question. I've been out of actual IT since the 90s, VMs weren't really a thing in those days.

It would probably work well enough for our non-technical staff but we're an MSP/VAR so our tech guys need to be able to do things like have a dozen chrome tabs open while running a couple different VMs for VPNing into different customers' networks. Nested virtualization *exists* but traditionally large core count server processors have around half the clock speed of desktop processors so your quad core PC at 4.0-4.6 GHz is going to run circles around a quad core VM because the server's CPU is probably running around 2.0-2.6 GHz.

We could probably consolidate all the finance people onto a single blade though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

STR posted:

PC's dont really get pissy too much anymore so it's not a huge issue. Plus most offices do have at least someone there even just to recieve the mail. I'm literally the only person in the building 3 days a week and eh, prolly only needed to boot two PC's out of I dunno how many since this all started.

Most companies have alternatives to just VPN/RDC to a desktop anyway.

As for VM the entire fleet ....... terminal servers are already in place and used heavily. And VM's a decent sized place would get ugly fast in resources required.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

We've been doing a big push from individual laptops to Azure VDI terminal instances. It's so cheap and easy to set up, and as this keeps up and more and more peoples laptops are retired due to age I expect to see a ton more VDI instances.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know if anyone remembers back when I was looking for wheels for my car and calculating tire sizes and asking about ride quality experiences and all that all that. But anyway, I ended up finding some OEM 17" Scion alloys with 35 series tires on them for a really good deal and have been driving on them for awhile and decided I didn't really like the look of them on my car. So I took them off today and put the stock wheels back on with 55 series tires on them and oh my god what a difference, the car rides so much smoother overall, easier over bumps and much quieter with really not much handling difference, so I'm just gonna stick with the 16" stock steelies :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm with you on that. I tried to find a set of 17" wheels for all seasons for our Focus ST when it gets reliably too cold to drive on summers, but all I could find were some used 18" Fusion wheels. 235/35/18 isn't great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

225/60R16 supremacy here.... for, uh, something. Certainly not for handling worth a poo poo - it's like turning the titanic, just so much body roll, you feel like it's about to roll over and ask for a belly rub, until you touch the gas pedal in its no-no place when it's raining and force a downshift into 1st, then the rear end end breaks loose just as the shiny side is about to kiss the curb, but that sudden downshift into 1st gives you a tank slapper and code brown.

Oh. Yeah. Can't feel the road for poo poo with them. That's the supremacy of a fairly wide 60 series, I ... think. Comfortable highway cruiser at least.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kazinsal posted:

We originally expected to be back in the office in May.

Hahahaha yeah no right now we're balancing the costs of renewing our lease on our 30-person office + storage area + lab vs. leasing a smaller 5-8 person office over a warehouse and basically building a "wfh rack" in the warehouse with everyone's PC powered on and VPN-accessible in it.

we decided to kill our office, it will save some absurd amount of money