Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jedit posted:

So perfectly acceptable to the Tories then.

it was produced by the government so you'd hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

When right-wingers complain about comedy being left-wing they usually mean "not openly bigoted" imo

but in this context it might instead mean "mildly critical of the status quo", which I think is actually all of it apart from the openly bigot stuff anyway?

There's going to be 15 new shows commissioned where the comic just screams that they identify as an attack helicopter over and over again between bawling "do I offend you snowflakes?", welcome to hell

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm also in the "quit labour and has been telling anyone who will listen to quit too" gang and have been for awhile so maybe someone could also remove me from the list of clp members thanks in advance

Of course if anyone is looking for guidance about their labour party membership then they should

A: cancel their direct debit
B: send a resignation email
C: crack one out

The order of which is up for debate but I feel it's a solid plan none the less

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

I'm also in the "quit labour and has been telling anyone who will listen to quit too" gang and have been for awhile so maybe someone could also remove me from the list of clp members thanks in advance

Of course if anyone is looking for guidance about their labour party membership then they should

Maybe I'm old :corsair: but what does 'crack one out' mean? Fart?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I guess we're allowed to keep the absurdist stuff, but Harry Hill's new BBC thing is just a Matt Berry Does... knockoff instead of a TV Burp knockoff like it should rightfully be :argh:
Even the best absurdist stuff has to have connections to society to work, like The Young Ones being a pisstake of both student life at the time and the nuclear family as a construct.

If you go completely ungrounded you just get early-00s internet cheese monkey pirate ninja badger badger badger type comedy, which only a small number of people can do well and then only in small doses.

And eventually collided with society and we got

forkboy84 posted:

the comic just screams that they identify as an attack helicopter over and over again between bawling "do I offend you snowflakes?"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^^^Lol, these are supposed to be people with wisdom and taste?

DesperateDan posted:

Probably too late if you've been giving out this advice but tell people to join other political groups actually doing things other than internal infighting/elections with their money and time.

namesake fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 1, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

DesperateDan posted:

If you crack one out before doing the other two you might be less horny for quitting tho (which probably answers Jaeluni's question)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe I'm old :corsair: but what does 'crack one out' mean? Fart?

:jerkbag: it means wanking

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

If you crack one out before doing the other two you might be less horny for quitting tho (which probably answers Jaeluni's question)

Oh erm... yes!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm increasingly convinced that most melts don't know what the left actually is, only that the guardian says they're bad, and if the political extremes to the right are bad then the left also bad?

By extension this has been weaponised into 'well if we have to ban right wing comedies, stands to reason we should ban left comedies as well, simple as.'

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ the new Director General that this comes from is a political appointment by and loyal to the Tory party, I think he's a former PPC or something, if that sheds any light on it
Independent Premium, natch, you've got to pay extra for quality content like "I am literally completely unaware that there are loving tonnes of vastly superior independent sandwich joints in p much every town capable of supporting a Pret"

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've friends (with possibly questionable residential status) who used to do sandwich delivery in The City - earned an absolute pittance.
Get to work about 6am, spend several hours buttering slices of bread and doing the fillings, wrapping them up then taking them round city offices hawking them off those neck tray things.

I can't see people making a living wage for a home delivered sarnie to people who are at home with their own bread and butter when you can get a decent egg mayo sarnie pack for £1 from Home Bargains most days.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was talking to one of my managers yesterday and they were actually glad to be back in work. Allbeit the reason for it is because they have to keep living with family and it has been "a hard loving lockdown", to borrow a term they used.

Also dealing with older people is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing to do.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"I wonder if there's a market for sandwich delivery" says the person who clearly has no idea that a) office caterers and b) Deliveroo are things

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I was talking to one of my managers yesterday and they were actually glad to be back in work. Allbeit the reason for it is because they have to keep living with family and it has been "a hard loving lockdown", to borrow a term they used.

Also dealing with older people is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing to do.

Was chatting with a friend yesterday who has just broken up with her partner after they were forcibly stuck at home together for almost 5 months and trying to WFH. The stress of being in a small flat and working from home with different working hours broke them.
I think unless you have a separate study/home office space and quite strict boundaries between work/domestic life including somehow keeping people apart, I can quite see the appeal of an office. Also some people need frequent interaction with others so if you live alone going in to work might also be better. (Ed: also there are still many people who don't consider WFH is actually work. One of my friends is an artist who WFH and people are always expecting her to drop everything to give them lifts, fetch their grandkids from school at short notice, be able to 'pop' several miles to an elderly relative's home to help out with something.)

I wonder if the 'shared local work spaces' - so not at home but also not commuting - business might get a big uptick?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 1, 2020

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

OwlFancier posted:

It's not real until it kills you.

Not even then if you're Herman Cain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus working on your own can be more draining and prone to distraction than working in a team, I say writing forums posts at 1pm.

Julio Cruz posted:

"I wonder if there's a market for sandwich delivery" says the person who clearly has no idea that a) office caterers and b) Deliveroo are things
Not just Deliveroo but JustEat and UberEats and every other one that some VC hopped on years ago.

Some of them even deliver to semirural locations. :popeye:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Plus working on your own can be more draining and prone to distraction than working in a team, I say writing forums posts at 1pm.

Not just Deliveroo but JustEat and UberEats and every other one that some VC hopped on years ago.

We have none of those round here.
There are deliveries but it's full on Indian, Chinese or Pizza at a minimum charge of £15 a go. No sarnies.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

namesake posted:

^^^^^Lol, these are supposed to be people with wisdom and taste?

Probably too late if you've been giving out this advice but tell people to join other political groups actually doing things other than internal infighting/elections with their money and time.

I was looking at becoming an mp but the labour party says you have to be a member for a year which is nearly £50. how far in advance of a general election do they announce the candidates?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that most melts don't know what the left actually is, only that the guardian says they're bad, and if the political extremes to the right are bad then the left also bad?

By extension this has been weaponised into 'well if we have to ban right wing comedies, stands to reason we should ban left comedies as well, simple as.'

i think the melts and the population at large think the spy-run guardian and oligarch-run indie are the left and anything to the left of them is sheer lunacy

people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact there isn't really a left wing media, since people view the media as a public service not a business. whereas it should be blindingly obvious that anyone with enough money to run a newspaper isn't likely to be in favour of redistribution

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Breath Ray posted:

I was looking at becoming an mp but the labour party says you have to be a member for a year which is nearly £50. how far in advance of a general election do they announce the candidates?

you used to be able to become a football agent for a mere £250 if you want a career change

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

Your frequent racism means you'll fit in quite well with the Labour right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

Could be misread.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 1, 2020

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

you used to be able to become a football agent for a mere £250 if you want a career change

im not really into talking on phones and deadlines and that! wat about you where are you workng these days?

for a long time i thought my colourful past meant that i could forget about becoming an mp. but in the post truth era you can just say oh that was a long time ago and prior to my epiphany of 2020. a friend of a friend was a candidate in 2017 so i should probably ask them. just wondered if any of you were or had been candidates or councillors or whatever...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Your frequent racism means you'll fit in quite well with the Labour right.

The right are just getting better at comedy you can't deny it

https://twitter.com/nathantbernard/status/1074738549931630593?lang=en

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

UberEats has finally graced Long Eaton with its presence and the choice of meals is a chippy that's closed, a pizza place and KFC. So naturally I ordered as much garbage chicken as humanely possible because I hadn't had any in months.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

im not really into talking on phones and deadlines and that! wat about you where are you workng these days?

for a long time i thought my colourful past meant that i could forget about becoming an mp. but in the post truth era you can just say oh that was a long time ago and prior to my epiphany of 2020. a friend of a friend was a candidate in 2017 so i should probably ask them. just wondered if any of you were or had been candidates or councillors or whatever...

on the dole currently but going back to uni for a masters in 20 days

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ the new Director General that this comes from is a political appointment by and loyal to the Tory party, I think he's a former PPC or something, if that sheds any light on it

Independent Premium, natch, you've got to pay extra for quality content like "I am literally completely unaware that there are loving tonnes of vastly superior independent sandwich joints in p much every town capable of supporting a Pret"

Annoyingly (or happily depending on your POV) you can't bypass that paywall like you can with other newspapers.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The Deleter posted:

UberEats has finally graced Long Eaton with its presence and the choice of meals is a chippy that's closed, a pizza place and KFC. So naturally I ordered as much garbage chicken as humanely possible because I hadn't had any in months.

nice, i'd go for a zinger tower burger myself. what are the milkshakes like at kfc or dont thy do them? ive found aldi frozen non-chicken burgers indistinguishable from the real thing especially in aldi's fantastic brioche buns and mayonnaise that never seems to go off even in the cupboard over summer. sod it im going to have one now!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

on the dole currently but going back to uni for a masters in 20 days

very cool, 1-2 year? what sort of thing are you studying? think my uni days were the last time i outperformed my peers sadly so i often thought abut doing an msc abroad for practically nothing but didnt get my act together / got too comfortable at work to make it before the brexit cutoff. yes, im aware i voted for it!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Can the thread please stop interacting with known racist Breath Ray unless you're telling him to gently caress off?

Hey Breath Ray, you're a racist. gently caress off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm not even particularly rural, only about 20 miles from Glasgow, and yet the only food delivery app we have out here is JustEat, which isn't even strictly the same as something like Deliveroo or UberEats, cuz it uses the restaurant's drivers.

I just want to have McDonalds delivered to my house, dammit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Someone make sure to save Breath Ray's poo poo posting just in case he actually runs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1300743736838762496?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm not even particularly rural, only about 20 miles from Glasgow, and yet the only food delivery app we have out here is JustEat, which isn't even strictly the same as something like Deliveroo or UberEats, cuz it uses the restaurant's drivers.

I just want to have McDonalds delivered to my house, dammit.
Just put my postcode into JustEat and it says they'll deliver me a McDonalds, even though I'm outside the McDelivery radius.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my work wants to keep me in a day a week while I'm at school and I have the option between that and a 5 week pay period. think ima take the money lads and lassies.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Proving himself worthy of the title there.

In other news, the govt's latest hire has his mask on while going full mask off:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/01/tony-abbott-some-elderly-covid-patients-could-be-left-to-die-naturally

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's changed his tune then.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/abbott-hits-out-at-new-push-on-euthanasia-laws-20070129-ge43fr.html

As soon as it started costing money as well, funny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember those from about 35 years ago :D
Went to a Mutoid Waste Exhibition in Notting Hill (or thereabouts) with some friends then we went round the circle line a few times eating Hedgehog crisps and drinking cider.
I don't know if the circle line does a full circuit these days? Whenever I've been on in in the last few years (not very often as I no longer live in London) I've always had to change at Tower Hill or something.

Nope, stopped a while ago and now goes Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Aldgate - HSK - Paddington (so it visits Paddington twice). Allegedly this is to improve train frequency to Shepherd's Bush and environs, but I prefer the theory it's because it was too much effort to remember to swap trains between inner and outer lines so they were all getting worn down on one side like a wild Haggis.

My angry letters to Sadiq Khan explaining that "Circle Line" is now a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act and demanding the line be renamed "Partially-Straightened-Out-Paperclip Line" have, so far, gone unanswered.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And telex - does anyone still do that?

Yes and no - most telcos will no longer offer a dedicated telex line and the international network has been shut down, however point-to-point networks (especially in developing-world banks and governments) are still in use, and telex-over-modem and telex-over-IP both exist and some company somewhere probably still bases their entire operation on a Heath Robinson assemblage of 1950s telexes running into 1960s serial links into 1980s modems into Windows 3.1 machines into the internet then back down again at the other end.

I did once work at a place that still had an old teletype input-output module that one of the greybeards had hacked together to be able to access the internet and I have to say it was the single most satisfying piece of electronic equipment I have ever used, although Youtube ended up using up a *lot* of paper.