Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3kEEfUVx8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

one sentence gamepass review "it sucks rear end but what are you gonna do"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was interested in checking out the install folders for a Gamepass game and Windows told me I didn't have access to the folder, even as admin of my own PC...?

the reason flight sim 2020 installs itself as a launcher that then installs the game for real is specifically to get around this bizarre limitation they themselves baked in

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Give me all the Animal Crossing politics over the solid three weeks of Trump ads that Youtube wouldn't even let you opt out of.

use an ad blocker why wouod you not be blocking ads

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I gotta be honest, the idea of infinite Halo is very appealing to me.

its 343 so the infinite halo will be extremely limited and then canned 2 years later half finished

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

They are only allowing content creators like Digital Foundry to play very specific not really hardware intensive games with the card for first impressions on their channels.

wasnt one of the games control??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

so what, crysis was a garbage game no one enjoyed, it was still a relevant bench for a longtime due to its demanding requirements. control with its full rtx options enabled is a very hardware intensive game especially pushing up to 4k

its hard to think of a more relevant game to use to benchmark new hardware right now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think that's correct.

Control only has that second part. Metro has the 3rd.

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/rtx-global-illumination-part-i/

I haven't seen any examples of Control showing off the effects of ray-traced GI, which you'd think they would if they'd done it. Metro has that video demonstrating it clearly doing amazing lighting things in real-time. Control's RTX demo just shows fancy SSAO.

Here's control's video to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kic-QDmS_Yw

Maybe they just didn't bother demoing it, but... IDK. Metro looks better to me. Control just feels more like what Battlefield did.

what do you think indirect diffuse lighting is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

how do you think RTX works

That quote I posted from nvidia themselves clearly draws a distinction between rendering full global illumination light bounces off surfaces versus just handling the last bounce diffusion with ray-tracing.

There's a lot of different algorithms and ways to split rendering raster and ray-traced hybrid images here stux.

how are you consistently the stupidest person on this forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seriously just reread what you quoted and take more than two seconds to process the words you are looking at

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Thinking about the ending of that one film Robert Pattinson was in, Remember Me.

didnt know it was coming and lost my mind lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Audio mixing has been an art lost for decades now.

this is true for example all podcasts ever made cannot figure out the strange technology of "compression" so all the talking is always extremely quiet but all musical bits are full volume

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

i had to look it up to see it again and i forgot how long they hold the shot. absolutely incredible cinema

i was watching this with people who were very into it unironically and i had to not laugh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

christopher nolan was insanely good for the first ten years of his career and then inception and the dark knight rises were so bad that it was hard to believe it was the same guy. i'm still not totally convinced he didn't just secretly delegate the entire operation to his brother for like five years

interstellar is really good if you cut out the last 20 minutes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if you cut interstellar at the point he enters the black hole but before the extremely long telling and not showing bit where it goes through him leaving the messages its really good. id even say its still very good if you leave that in but cut out everything after which is complete garbage.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the ending sucks and is insulting in how much it feels it needs to treat the audience like idiots

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i got it before they showed all the inside the black hole stuff, the stuff after with him going back was just so over the top in explaining what happened just leave it, let me do it in my head. dont have to go off making everything explicit it ruins it. be subtle.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

*music crescendos*

cmon stux

cmon what the end stuff was really bad, just eyerolling. chris "the bat" nolan yelling "do you get it" at me as i sigh heavily and say yes i get it chris

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

subscriptions are bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

blue squares posted:

Wrong. There is no inherent bad or good here. If you use it to the point where it is cheaper than not having it, it is good. If you don’t use it enough, then it is bad.

Unless of course the system is set up in such a way that all of the money goes to faceless capitalists and not the creators of games, in which case I may revise my thinking

subscription models remove the concept of ownership and only serve to hand publishers arbitrary control over what you can play. its a model they want to move to because people can currently buy a game and then play it over and over again without paying more, and they may even skip newer installments if theyre not very good. with a sub they still have to keep paying, and if you ever do want to incentivise a newer title, likely with a new microtransaction model people need to buy into all over again, you simply remove the game and they can no longer play it. it also destroys the ability to mod or otherwise alter the game, something which has created countless popular genres and is still where lots of new developers get their start, but also extends playtime with no extra income and can be actively detrimental if a mod becomes the main reason people play the game and the developers of the mod then spin it out into its own title.

its also an incredibly unsustainable model without pushing even more microtransactions, and microsoft have already confirmed this will be the case for their first party titles coming to gamepass. these companies are not all suddenly pushing subscriptions out of a newfound desire to give you a better deal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

blue squares posted:

One thing that is new compared to when I used to play games more several years ago is all these free to play games. What’s up with that? Do you have to wind up paying a bunch of money to be able to compete?

it can be anything from pure cosmetics to actual in game advantages and its so profitable that the big f2p games make more than most full priced titles do. its also more consistent money over time with a lower development overhead because youre just adding to a single game instead of making new games constantly. unsurprisingly aaa games started adding in the same stuff while also making you pay, and now theyre moving to a sub model with microtransactions instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this a Horizon Zero Dawn in the making?

yeah it looks bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

people will love a marvel game because it says marvel much like the most buggy game in history jedi fallen order because its star wars

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

those are the two best parts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is when comics were good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but people kept saying it wasnt real???? its real??? so weird lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

I wonder if they'll fix the terrible controls of Mario Sunshine where the vertical look force inverts when aiming.

let everyone feel my pain when theres no invert option

Some Goon posted:

New switch launching in April? Updated 3d all stars that's the same game but has galaxy 2 to be a launch title.

no just normal nintendo stuff of weird arbitrary decisions lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

There's the possibility that they're doing it to pump up their fiscal year earnings after getting wrecked by covid seemingly harder than any other major publisher and we'll get individual digital releases down the line,

and then there's also the possibility that it's just Nintendo being Nintendo and going "gently caress you, money now".

did nintendo get wrecked? i thought theyd done ok with animal crossing selling completely buck wild numbers and all their hardware being sold out constantly because everyone ordered a switch for lockdown

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean its def covid, i dont think we should be surprised. us publishers carrying on is because the us is completely buck wild in how theyre treating it and shouldnt be taken as a good and normal approach.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

the new game nintendo will release this holiday is Pokemon Super Sword and Super Shield or w/e. don't they always do that for every gen

i do appreciate that no one actually expects BOTW2 to come out this holiday like they originally claimed

they usually do but this time theyre just doing an expansion pass instead which is a lot better than "buy the same $60 game again for 95% the same content" and is actually adding more than the second releases normally do

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i already really liked blasphemous so ill have to try out the new stuff sometime

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ign

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the chronology at the end is titles available to play on switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

IGN gave Crusader Kings III a 10/10

theres no such thing as a perfect game, im enjoying ck3 a lot but its def not perfect lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it does

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

will never understand that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

well i'm very nearsighted so it's less fatiguing for my eyes to focus on a small screen close to my face than a large screen across the room. as for my pc i would usually rather game in the living room where my wife and kid hang out than go sequester myself in the study

dang im really nearsighted as well but for me the larger screen is better lol

i dont hate handhelds or anything, i have a switch lite, but its for portable games for me. i would always prefer a giant 100 hour jrpg be on a console or pc than playing it handheld personally.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im not saying youre wrong just weird how its different for different people with the same eye thing . the body is a mystery

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

Same but the opposite

most handhelds throughout history are by nintendo which means on average a handheld console will demolish your hands if you play it for long periods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

same except the exact opposite every nintendo handheld is comfortable in my hands and the psp and vita sucked rear end for my hands

its impossible to hold a ds or 3ds and think its comfortable. the original 3ds was designed by god to demolish fingers