Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I send ads to google just to show them who is boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
mine is 55 and its full of games that either already are under 5 bucks or regularly go on sale for cheaper. a lot i have no idea why i ever added. just browsing it by cheapest right now, renegades of orion 2.0, added in 2016. never played no renegades of orion 1.0 and it has "shoot em up" as a tag, this isn't 2001 i think we're all good on shooting games forever, thanks.

Kingdom: Classic I apparently added in 2015. It has a colony si mtag, so maybe that's what interested me in it. I think there are a few versions or oiterations of this game type, ain't played any of them though and never heard anybody gush about em so eh.

Milky Boobs I added in 2019. No idea what kind of game it is, doubt I'll ever buy it, but I definitely know why it's on my wishlist and so it shall remain.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how often do you even beat games? Not counting games that don't really "end," I think it's the exception for me to get to the intended ending of a game. At the same time, I think I spend a lot more time in a game compared to someone who just beats it normally.

I saw someone advise another to put a spoiler on an early game Prey spoiler and the person didn't think it mattered because that reveal happens within 5 minutes of the game but I remember spending like 30 minutes in that initial rooms and area dicking around.

Control you get an item that reveals the games true nature to you pretty early, but I also spent almost two hours before I even got to that point. I restarted the game at that point because a misleading achievement "choose to be chosen" with a picture of the gun on it popped up, which made me think I could've chosen to not get the gun somehow. That first segment blazes past if you don't stop to read all the notes and abuse a coffee cart to knock over every single object in the playable area. AFAIK you can't not get the gun, there is no choice, the achievements lied.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weedle posted:

my steam wishlist is where games go while i wait for switch versions to be announced

i dont think i own or have played a non-nintendo game on my switch and i only play nintendo games on my switch because im not aware of a way to play them on my PC except for how i'd have to plug the switch into monitor to play it

you travel a lot? always wanted to see someone wit ha switch in the wild

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I used to almost never beat games for a time but that changed when I started adhering to a policy of "buy games only when you really want them and play to completion."

why to completion, why not just until you're done? Some games can be absurdly long and have very little of value to do in that time. There's probably a dozen games in history where every minute of the game was worthwhile and necessary to the experience without padding or pointless content. I say probably cause I can't think of one.

full disclosure, i'll also turn a movie or tv show off halfway if its getting tiring and you can already tell exactly how act 2 and 3 will go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah i was always waiting for the equivalent of the "super gameboy" for the SNES for all of the DS lines. Playing pokemon on the snes was such an upgrade. I guess the Switch is just built-in super gameboy console

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I don't beat every single game I buy, but I think over time I just do a better job at knowing what I like so that I'm more likely to complete it.

i don't think liking a game makes me more likely to finish it, sometimes it makes it harder. MGSV is my favourite half-finished-game of all time but I can't bring myself to do the final final missions, not while there's a hundred side ops for me to delay the ending with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weedle posted:

games i beat this year:

- the witcher iii: wild hunt
- the witcher iii: hearts of stone

this is another game I enjoyed but will never beat. Somewhere around chapter 2 or 3 I'm given too much freedom and I spend it all collecting secret armours I won't wear and solving every problem in the kingdom except the main ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
too many games make us use our hands as it is, where is the immersive gamer gel we can suspend ourselves in to truly experience the world of azeroth full-body surround experience

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i have tiny fetus hands and them honky ds's got annoying to hold in long animal crossing sessions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

since when did taco bell have pico? i find that hard to believe, there are way too many territories in this union with weird freaks who can't even tolerate a pickled jalapeno and taco bell out there paving the way with diced serrano?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the nintendo 35 direct was pretty weak but it is making me realize how unnatural my console progression was as a kid. i remember so many of these mario games coming out "new" which would be impossible because i would be too young to play videogames or form memories. i think what really happened was i grew up with an old nintendo because it was cheap to get with a bunch of games and stuff compared to the snes, and the snes we eventually go was the one that comes with all stars which im sure was a cheaper bundle or something later down the line.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does nintendo have a bad relationship with Galaxy 2? Did they hate it for just being a better Galaxy? They didn't mention it in the history of mario games. They also skipped Super Mario Land 2 which was way, way, way better than Super Mario Land which they did mention. i can understand not mentioned mario is missing or whatever, but SML2 and Galaxy2 both are great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Sml2 was made without miyamoto so thats a memory hole game
Galaxy 2 is probably not liked by nintendo because they hate having to make more than one mario per console since 64 and the good sales and money from it hurts their bastard hearts

this is what my heart thinks despite some other plausible theories

please sign my petition to give Super Mario Land 2 the All-Stars treatment with updated SNES style graphics and also 3D all-stars treatment with a fully reworked 3d platforming version

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sharrrk posted:

i hope they didnt try to fix any glitches for sunshine

i'll bet you anything all three will have unwanted changes that mostly make speedruns worse and kills edge case fun of weird mechanics.

i do wonder if the "l i s real" sign will be updated in HD to be readable finally. would be cool to get luigi too but at that point i imagine theyd just updated the 3ds version

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just double checked to be sure: U R MR GAY is still intact

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my stepdad bought an atari and shitload of games and even post n64 i really liked it and all its weird minigames.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the new nintendo game and watch handheld that doesnt even have the game and watch gallery games on it, shameful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OESf8hkk19c

it also kind of looks fuzzy but i was chalking that up to bad video re-sizing but maybe it looks that bad in play too. The clock function featuring SMW yoshi sprites with SMB mario on SMB mario tilesets also seems somehow cheap or ROM hacky.

Releasing it with just the G&W version of "ball" but with mario head likewise feels like a lazy romhack move. They've literally already been through this before, re-releasing their nostalgic G&W poo poo and it was better than this effort by far. At bare minimum, this thing should've had the crappy old school G&W crap library. Would be an okay product if it just contained the G&W Gallery series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkwqa6ZV0I

footage of luigi beating the poo poo out of waluigi, a big worm, and a ghost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H51Skz1c2U&t=8049s

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 4, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

In america zingers are coconut twinkies so this sounds loving disgusting

hosed up to call zingers a twinkie. zingers are way better than twinkies and they actually get moldy really easily because theres moisture and food in there instead of a twinkie that never goes bad because its the food god forgot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got this achievement in Death Stranding last night:

Childminder
Reach maximum connection level with BB.

Not a big deal, right? You go the whole game with this bb, obviously you get your connection up to 5 star sooner or later, right?

Only 10.7% of players got the achievement. Goddamn, most people who play this game are just monsters I guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

still thinking about all the podcasters complaining about BB constantly crying

cant tell if just stupid, bad at videogame, or heartless lol. i rock that baby to full happiness even if im in the middle of an inky black timefall storm four feet from BT

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Reviewers, even ones who liked death stranding, also talked a lot about how difficult it was at first and how they fell all the time. Like, just hold the triggers. According to my end stats I hard fell a total of like 5 times in the entire game, and all of those were off mountains because I was trying to do something stupid with zip lines.

You can usually get away just tapping them. Also tap b to crouch then again to uncrouch and it instantly resets your balance. I do have a few deadly ziplines where there's either only one safe direction to dismount, or none at all. One leads directly to a really steep drop and I always wonder if that zipline made it to anyone else's game and if any of them ever feel to their doom.

Most of my "hard drops" seem to just be questionable geometry, like, just taking a step on a surface thats the wrong angle and suddenly you're huffing bloodbag and bb is crying, like, what even happened I didn't fall. Oh and sometimes when you clip a tent or low overhanging cliff and your tall-stack just pop goes flying oops.

MMF Freeway posted:

Well you actually do get places faster if you're not constantly tripping over rocks and poo poo

I watched part of some speedrun, without spoiling ahead , just curious how their speedrun strat goes for the first part. Turns outs constantly tripping actually is a way to get around faster with some cargo loads, you just have to do it with style, intentionally, over and over but never actually fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB60cOmRpU&t=507s

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah that feature really changes the entire game. DS has become my podcast-listening game. Go swinging from point to point while listening to office ladies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

i actually have a game backlog now, its weird. i dont know if its because i have a life now or because im just spending that time playing warframe instead

my money is on warframe. nothing keeps you from videogames quite like treadmill-shaped videogame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Twinkies actually go bad pretty fast, their supposed longevity is just a myth.

I watched a bunch of videos of a guy eating old MREs yesterday and aint one of em contain a twinkie, so this totally tracks to me. If Twinkies were such hot poo poo at lasting forever they'd be crammed into those things left n right.

Speaking of snacks, y'all seen what babies are eating these days? Seen this baby today had this cool snack that was made out of blueberries + purple carrot somehow baked into a little crispy bar thing. Said it was for teething but I tried a bit and didn't grow any new teeth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is it this one? https://www.jackboxgames.com/bidiots/

usually i love the drawing ones but this one feels so arbitrary, the inclusion of trying to guess the random value of the paintings depending on messages from NPCs... just doesn't feel like a jackbox game at that point. Why not have it be pictionary, but you make bids based on how confident you are that you'll be able to correctly guess it in the end. Then end of game, if you guess right you get the value of that art to keep, if not, set up something for others to guess. IDK, just spotballing, just seems like keeping everything relative to the group youre playing with is when their games are best.

Tee Fury is a great drawing one, everything subjective to the group playing, something fun to do for bad drawlers, takes like 15 seconds to explain the game and even drunk people can do it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Homer Un

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Did you know you can pay Jon St John to say whatever the gently caress you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUYRWcr5TM

logical conclusion of paying voice actors to read whatever u want
https://soundcloud.com/ayanami-reid/voiceover-post-mk-ii-return-to

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
no offense but i just dont believe anybody actually played those first crappyvanias. i mean, sure, load the rom up in nesticle once or twice or if u got it from a garage sale or whatever as a kid, worth putting in but come on. those games suck to play, control bad, who cares what genre they are no genre wants them stinkin up the place

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

They probably dont like knock back into pits and zero air control but they are good if you accept that and the delayed attack speed

this is basically it. Blasphemous played fast and loose with endless death pits and I hated them there too

First Castlevania I bought for myself was one of the GBA or DS ones, that's when I was sold on the series. Supposedly SotN is better but there's no play station at my house

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
banjo kazooie has distinct levels but also a connected world

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
are immersive sims a subgenre of metroidvanias or is it the other way around

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

stick or rope?
            ^
  stick      rope
      |             |
hitman    death stranding

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ive lived with two colons all my life, gently caress you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i recognize the name but diabeetus was the only old times lper i follow on youtube. why tf did it take him 10 years to play through MGS? is he like screenshotting every few seconds and trying to write an alternate story in a forum post or something?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just skipped a bit around the new LP alluded to in the video posted. These are some deluxe LPs, I was imagining him just taking 10 years to film self playing through the MGS series, but this is a lot more high effort than uploading a stream of him playing in parts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The platforming in HK did feel pretty good, I'll give it that. I'll have to see how I feel about Blasphemous' instadeath platforming bits; otherwise the game sounds like one for me to pick up!

(e) Just listened to that video; that first was fairly poor, yeah - I bet it's cringeworthy heard against the rest of the cast. The second one... sounds like the game looks, if that makes any sense

Blasphemous is a cool looking game with great atmosphere and stuff, but the map isn't great, and more importantly it sucks to explore and travel and move around at all. If basic movement sucks, it really limits how good a game can feel to play. In Blasphemous' case you could argue the horrible controls and movement are themselves a kind of punishment for the Sinner but honestly I don't feel like I've lived a horrible enough life to deserve that even in the form of conceptual art. If you do play this game, I advise you play it differently than the typical game of this genre to limit how much time you have to spend traversing and re-traversing any map screen you've seen before. The rewards aren't good enough to hunt for ASAP and the irritance of re-clearing or getting across maps is too high.

exquisite tea posted:

The acting in Death Stranding, with the exception of Mads Mikkelsen and Troy Baker, is legitimately some of the worst I have ever seen. Norman Reedus speaks every line like they woke him up at 3am and took the first take he read off the script.

wow i cant believe you went your entire life and have only experienced acting for the first time in Death Stranding

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

does ffxi follow the standard wow progression model?

It's an unusual progression system for an MMO. Basically there's no reason to ever make more than one character. Every class and every crafting-job is it's own separate thing, basically tied to whatever item is in your mainhand. You got a lil daggers --> baby thief, got a magic stick --> baby magic boy, got a ladle --> chef job time to cook. You level these all up seperately, so even if you're a max level hot doggin' arrow guy, the second you equip the tambourine or whatever, you become a level 1 tambourinester. To make things complicated, sometimes you need to do certain story progress, or get to a certain level cap in one class to unlock another class..

It's cool that you don't need to make separate characters for every itch you get to explore some other way of pressing number keys for a change. Though I only played 33.8 hours and only barely unlocked the mount ability so there may be more to the class system than I learned.

The progression was also just different in it's not like you go out into the world, find some folks in need, fix up an area with some quest chains and then breadcrumb to next area. Everything very disjointed, the voids between your map area are just that, void areas you never go to or see much of. You load into adjacent map areas and teleportation is a given and common element of their world. If Azeroth is a "character" in WoW, then in FFXiv oh i just realized you meant the other ff mmo whoops my bad idk about that one

quote:

Job system

Final Fantasy XI uses the concept of changing Jobs in a similar fashion to Final Fantasy III, and currently has twenty-two Jobs as of the latest expansion pack in 2013. There are six "standard Jobs" available to choose from at the start of the game. After one standard Job has reached Level 30, the "extra Jobs" are accessible upon completing certain quests. Players are able to change their jobs any time from inside their house or by speaking with a Nomad Moogle. In June 2010, the long-standing level limit of 75 was incrementally increased to the higher level cap of 99, finishing in the December 2011 version update.

Jobs have a combination of unique "job traits", "job abilities", and magic spells, giving them a specific role within group play due to their area of expertise. Job traits are passive abilities that are always in effect, while job abilities must be activated by the player in order to come into effect. They last a limited time and have a "cooldown" period before they can be used again. Magic spells are available to certain jobs, and in addition to a cooldown period, they often consume MP or some form of item in order to be cast, while at the same time requiring the user to stand still. Additionally, each job has a special one-hour ability that performs an extraordinary function.

The unique system of Final Fantasy XI's job system is the "Support Job".[21] This system allows a player to augment their character with abilities, traits, and spells from another chosen job, at half the level of their current job. For instance, a Level 20 Warrior setting Ninja as their support job would allow them to use all Ninja abilities, traits, and spells up to that of a level 10 Ninja, while still primarily being a Level 20 Warrior. The support job system allows for job-merges never before seen in the Final Fantasy series. However, there are some exceptions to the system. One-hour abilities and other abilities deemed signature to a particular job (such as Call Wyvern for Dragoons) are restricted to being used only on the main job.

The support system sounds pretty cool, dual-classing has always been a wow dream whenever i find myself playing that game. Plus I never connect with my characters in WoW because I always end up making another one each expansion to try something else out and there's always a huge hurdle and missing library of stuff for any new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i havent finished the death stranding story yet but i like it so far. when you say its dumb, do you mean the premise itself or how it is once you do the whole thing? i love this premise, feels like im in a legend or myth

Stux posted:

death stranding is basically what botw wanted to do but executed properly and they threw in a story as well as a bonus

DS has weapon durability, but good actually