Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The awards are just another American popularity contest but MJF winning most charismatic is still a DIRE indictment of what current US wrestling fans go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tonfa posted:

The awards are just another American popularity contest but MJF winning most charismatic is still a DIRE indictment of what current US wrestling fans go for.

why

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

If the coolest person in an entire form of entertainment is a dude workshopping 14 yr internet troll level material it's pretty loving dire.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tonfa posted:

If the coolest person in an entire form of entertainment is a dude workshopping 14 yr internet troll level material it's pretty loving dire.

sounds like someone got worked

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

StarkRavingMad posted:

sounds like someone got worked

yeah, worked into not wanting to see more of the guy, great job

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dire Tonfa Tell Em

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I like MJF but yes it's ridiculous, he's not as charismatic as Moxley or Kingston as just a couple examples within his own company.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this voting process is a sham. it's loving poo poo and gross

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tonfa posted:

Is this u hun?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I get not being into MJF's chosen material, but it takes an incredible amount of charisma to get over the way he has at his age with very rudimentary heeling

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
MJF is extremely lame and his gimmick is even worse with no fans in attendance

I'm glad people like him though, and he's young, I have no doubt he'll get a lot better

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I get not being into MJF's chosen material, but it takes an incredible amount of charisma to get over the way he has at his age with very rudimentary heeling

Yeah, I can't really say that many people as young as him could've done a program with as much success as his feud with Moxley. Or what he's doing with Jericho. Or Cody (regardless of the bad ending).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his charisma is low

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tonfa posted:

Yeah, you literally got worked so loving hard by his promos that you don't understand what a great wrestler he is. Kinda funny.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Tonfa posted:

If this was all it is then that's one thing, but he's also really, really good at it. He's just so consistent, any time MJF is on screen it's believable, the character never drops for a moment, it's an obvious put on that still feels like a real person because of the quality of the performance. Eddie and Mox are better but like by a hair's breadth, not a mile.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I appreciate the unabashed one-dimensional aspect of MJF. There’s no shades of grey like there is with Kingston’s heel persona. He’s just an unrepentant dickhead and he does it so well.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
im glad thatcher placed, hes real good imo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The wrestling community getting hot over what is at the end of the day glorified fan club awards is never going to stop being funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

Some people just don't understand charisma and promos are different things.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Imagine people getting this worked up online about the People’s Choice awards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Imagine people getting this worked up online about the People’s Choice awards.

These are the Academy Awards, ballots are given to the elite of the elite, WON subscribers. Except this year the selections were actually good.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Go should have won Most Outstanding imo but alas

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

quote:

WORST TELEVISION SHOW

1. WWE RAW 1,117

2. Impact Wrestling 25

3. WWE Smackdown 24

4. Ring of Honor Wrestling 14

5. WWE NXT 12

WWE 205 Live 12

That is one vote difference for the ages.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

MJF is fine for me in small doses. He's a very good worker who's only going to improve. But he does have a tendency to drag out his promos. And his delivery is very "90s shock jock", which has go-away heat for me.

And count me in as being Big Mad at some of these results for these unimportant fan club awards.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what match is wmoty i tried to find it and cant. please advise. i know what won but that date is a wednesday

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it was 7/19 extreme rules not 7/29 drat you dave

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The only promotion that was screwed was Dragon Gate.

Easily the most entertaining and compelling company from top to bottom of the card for me. At least Dave didn’t cancel a category to prevent them from winning an award.

Anyways, congrats to Bray Wyatt on nabbing Worst Gimmick, the top 2 Worst Feuds, and a whopping 50% of the Worst Matches of the Year. Hell of a year for the guy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The only result that's particularly disappointing to me is that neither Anna Jay nor SB Kento got the Rookie award.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SaysSauce/status/1365291718334058497

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the amount of broken brains either caused by or exposed by these awards is impressive

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There absolutely are people who get mad about the Oscars every year because Marvel didn't win a shiny gold boy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm mad about the Oscars most years because it gave best picture to Green Book.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many of these people get unironically excited about the Slammies every year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

How many of these people get unironically excited about the Slammies every year

If Go Shiozaki doesn't win a Slammy this year I'm crying that the fix is in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

If Go Shiozaki doesn't win a Slammy this year I'm crying that the fix is in.

*monkey's paw curls* WWE is pleased to announce the signing of Gregg Satoshi. He's all the way from Japan and he just wants to have fun!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

*monkey's paw curls* WWE is pleased to announce the signing of Gregg Satoshi. He's all the way from Japan and he just wants to have fun!

Oh

Oh no

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
All of this discourse on Dave, AEW, bias, Tony going on WOR reminds me of Ebert and Scorsese ranking the best films of the 90s.

quote:

ROGER: You know, in the film business we kind of came in together because at my first Chicago film festival, in 1967, I reviewed your first film. And I predicted in that article that you would be a great director, and boy, was I right!

quote:

ROGER: The visual style of "GoodFellas" subtly keys off the movie styles of the decades it considers, and the rhythm relentlessly builds, until at the end, as Henry Hill senses capture growing closer, we realize we're breathlessly running right along with him. "GoodFellas" combines wisdom about human nature with a spellbinding story, and it's one of the best films of the '90s.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Maki Itoh getting zero votes for Best Gimmick is a weird one as the complaints against voters would be they would be Maki people and has the biggest online gimmick following since, well, Orange Cassidy. Weirdly she shows up in the honourable mentions for Most Charismatic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Maki Itoh getting zero votes for Best Gimmick is a weird one as the complaints against voters would be they would be Maki people and has the biggest online gimmick following since, well, Orange Cassidy. Weirdly she shows up in the honourable mentions for Most Charismatic.

Worth remembering that the best Gimmick winner for 1995 was Disco Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

2021 will be the year maki itoh sweeps all awards anyway