Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 46.36%
No 81 53.64%
Total: 151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

with a side of "boy I hope Biden loses so I can make fun of these idiots when he does" or somesuch in whatever is going on in the NeverJoeToxx thread

Go argue with those posters in that thread then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Canada has been waiting for their chance for 200 years.

They already burned down the White House once, we should have been warned!

I mean, maybe. They did do it once so the chance is there.

However watching the news of how the mounties are reacting to minorities and how canada is building pipelines through native people's land I don't think they're really throw their hat in the ring to try and STOP another civil war so much as maybe pick a side and help.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CainFortea posted:

I mean, maybe. They did do it once so the chance is there.

However watching the news of how the mounties are reacting to minorities and how canada is building pipelines through native people's land I don't think they're really throw their hat in the ring to try and STOP another civil war so much as maybe pick a side and help.

I figured it would be a grand for land that can actually grow crops more than two months a year. They could grab a good chunk of the great plains and population density is too low for the chuds to resist.

With luck they will capture colorado and I'll get universal healthcare

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

I don't think literally any of them can do anything else.

I would think there would be lots of parties interested in funneling arms / money to specific factions, which might encourage our allies to do the same. This whole thing is so imaginary that it's all made up anyway.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grip it and rip it posted:

I would think there would be lots of parties interested in funneling arms / money to specific factions, which might encourage our allies to do the same. This whole thing is so imaginary that it's all made up anyway.

Where do you think the arms that get funnelled into wartorn countries come from? That would be like dumping bottled water into the ocean so the fish don't dry out

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The sitting President is encouraging political violence and stated they may not cede the office if voted out. The resistance party is septugenarians and up who continue to ignore what their voters really want bolstered by an outsized in voice group that lives in a loving west wing fantasy world seemingly. It isn't loving implausible.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Civil war is totally likely.

Tho maybe I shouldn't have stayed up late reading those articles posted about it yesterday

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Civil war, with two sides of uniformed folks fighting it out over the bombed out shell of the nation is not likely.

Secretarian violence by small groups of paramilitary assholes, followed by escalating reprisals is very likely.

Its going to be the American version of the troubles, so like the irish one only with worse drinks, worse music, and way more guns.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

MRC48B posted:

Secretarian violence by small groups of paramilitary assholes, followed by escalating reprisals is very likely.

Just a reminder that this is how it started the first time, without poo poo like the Sacking of Lawrence there would not have been the Harper's Ferry raid.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's possible the music might become good, keep hope alive

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RFC2324 posted:

Canada has been waiting for their chance for 200 years.

They already burned down the White House once, we should have been warned!

Those were British regulars fresh from fighting Napoleon. They just landed in Canada first.

I have a hard time calling it imaginary when it's literally already happening, it just hasn't caught on beyond Russia and probably China yet.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I cannot imagine contemporary American liberals fighting, and the left is small and disorganized. I think a right wing coup is totally possible, but civil war isn't on the table. Program Manager 3s going "just vote!!" on their Facebooks are not taking up arms against the government, ever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Even the troubles would require more initiative and gumption than I think most Trump supporters are really capable of.

Steezo posted:

Just a reminder that this is how it started the first time, without poo poo like the Sacking of Lawrence there would not have been the Harper's Ferry raid.

Yes, with shadow banning on social media being the modern scourge of slavery. Too true.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Are you just fundamentally incapable of not being a complete rear end in a top hat?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Even the troubles would require more initiative and gumption than I think most Trump supporters are really capable of.

I mean, I had armed chud checkpoints 5 miles from my house like 2 weeks ago. Which were also supported by a deputy explaining to them how to get away with shooting people.

So, like they're already starting.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Yes, with shadow banning on social media being the modern scourge of slavery. Too true.

The gently caress are you pulling that from? There are actual horrors going on like cops facing no penalty for murder. Or aiding and advising "militia" fuckwits on setting up roadblocks.

The modern scourge of slavery is the prison industrial complex.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1309176124296048641?s=20

Just the gif of that lady going "that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works"

Amazing to see someone go from well-respected author of Dereliction of duty, to then not doing what he wrote when he had the chance, to now just truly the worst take concerning the military and individual participation in our democracy

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CainFortea posted:

I mean, I had armed chud checkpoints 5 miles from my house like 2 weeks ago. Which were also supported by a deputy explaining to them how to get away with shooting people.

So, like they're already starting.

You think the people who stayed behind to protect their meager possessions because they were told there are looters about are a right-wing kill squad similar to the red hands?

Yall are right about the prison industrial complex of course, my apologies on that. I just don't see that institution inspiring the same zealotry that the institution of slavery did.

maffew buildings posted:

Are you just fundamentally incapable of not being a complete rear end in a top hat?

When I see people casually suggesting that open revolt is some cool third way of enacting political change in this country I don't feel particularly bound to treat those positions as reasonable or decent, given the tens of millions or more who would be killed.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 24, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

You think the people who stayed behind to protect their meager possessions because they were told there are looters about are a right-wing kill squad similar to the red hands?

these were people just out on the road pointing guns at cars with no credentials, are you just not paying attention

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Yall are right about the prison industrial complex of course, my apologies on that. I just don't see that institution inspiring the same zealotry that the institution of slavery did.

Are you loving kidding me? The people who set up roadblocks to stop people leaving a disaster area, at gunpoint, deciding whether or not you are acceptable to pass based on what you look like and what stickers you have on your car is not exactly things that happen in a normal civilized country.

It's what happened in Mogadishu in the loving 90s, dude.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm from Louisiana where I've seen people do very similar things, or worse, during hurricanes, so it didn't strike me as that big of an escalation. That's if you are talking about the folks in Skamania County.

I easily could have missed something though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm from Louisiana where I've seen people do very similar things, or worse, during hurricanes, so it didn't strike me as that big of an escalation. That's if you are talking about the folks in Skamania County.

I easily could have missed something though

I'm also from Louisiana and the kind of poo poo you're referring to is after the evacuation when people are trying to make sure its only locals who stayed and not people trying to B&E on their property.

I didn't think what happened in Oregon was remotely the same. Imagine someone setting up a roadblock on 90W checking out whose trying to leave the day before a storm hits.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You think the people who stayed behind to protect their meager possessions because they were told there are looters about are a right-wing kill squad similar to the red hands.

Holy crap this is some serious fox news talking points. gently caress off.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just people protecting their meager possessions

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yikes, what I read left the impression that it was a county road that headed up to a couple properties, not a major thoroughfare.

The whole thing struck me as a fairly evil plan working as designed. Bad actors taking advantage of a disaster to spread misinformation in the hope that it would lead to an additional disaster. In my mind the people operating the road block were dupes whose (admittedly) bad character was being taken advantage of by 4chan-type shitheads.

I'll brush up though in case I missed something big.

Edit: Okay I hadn't seen that picture, that's a totally different and much more serious issue

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I'm from Louisiana where I've seen people do very similar things, or worse, during hurricanes

Then you should know about what white vigilantes got up to in areas like Algiers Point after Katrina. The path between the two situations is real drat short.

https://www.propublica.org/article/post-katrina-white-vigilantes-shot-african-americans-with-impunity

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's mind boggling to see people getting upset about "lol vote" memes.

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

Thanks for the advice, dude who won an election and proceeded to do a whole lot of nothing.

The implication isn't that you shouldn't vote, it's that voting is the absolute loving least you can do (aside from saying "Vote." on Twitter, I guess). The current dipshit in chief lost the popular vote. Voter suppression is going on everywhere, from poo poo like armed groups blocking voting areas to explicitly taking something that was voted on to restore voting rights and rewriting it to prevent you from voting if you owe money and then opening an investigation because oops groups are trying to pay those debts, and then there's still the issue of voter roll purging, gerrymandering, voter ID laws, ...

Voting matters, but elections in America are fundamentally loving broken, and expecting to enact any sort of actual change in this shithole when one party is a cheating death cult and the other party is bought and paid for is a fool's errand.

quote:

armed militia checkpoints

Treating this as some sort of normal thing that just happens sometimes and not completely goddamn abhorrent is an incredible testament to just how hosed up this awful country is.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Vigilantes are trash. I simply did not see what was happening as a prelude to civil war. People behave horribly during natural disasters and I saw this as an extension of that predictable behavior, as opposed to something novel about the year 2020.

I do appreciate the info though, not gonna make assumptions about the people stopping cars during a disaster in the future.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 24, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Vigilantes are trash. I simply did not see what was happening as a prelude to civil war. People behave horribly during natural disasters and I saw this as an extension of that predictable behavior, as opposed to something novel about the year 2020.

I do appreciate the info though, not gonna make assumptions about the people stopping cars during a disaster in the future

When the armed vigilante checkpoints exist solely because some qanon style fuckhole of misinformation has spread that "antifa is starting the fires and looting your homes!", and the cops are ACTIVELY TELLING THE VIGILANTES HOW TO SHOOT PEOPLE AND GET AWAY WITH IT, it is extremely not loving normal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The blind spot people have for the escalating use of force on people because of race or ideology and how this can possibly turn into something much bigger is just the flip side of American Exceptionalism.

People will watch videos of armed civil unrest in Syria or somewhere and go "well, that can't happen here for X Y or Z reason".

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CainFortea posted:

The blind spot people have for the escalating use of force on people because of race or ideology and how this can possibly turn into something much bigger is just the flip side of American Exceptionalism.

People will watch videos of armed civil unrest in Syria or somewhere and go "well, that can't happen here for X Y or Z reason".

Meanwhile people in the US have been stockpiling guns just in case the thing they say can't happen happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Those were British regulars fresh from fighting Napoleon. They just landed in Canada first.

They landed in Maryland. Unless some of them happened to have been born in Canada, none of the troops responsible for burning Washington had ever set foot in Canada.

Please limit your rebuttals to things people have actually said, not things you wish they said.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://fox11online.com/news/local/mail-found-in-ditch-in-greenville

From WI

quote:

GREENVILLE (WLUK) -- A U.S. Postal Service investigation is underway after mail was found along the road in the Fox Valley.

The Outagamie County Sheriff's Office says three trays were found in a ditch around 8 a.m. Tuesday. The trays were near the intersection of highways 96 and CB, near the Appleton International Airport.

The mail was immediately turned over to the postal service.

On Wednesday, a USPS spokesman said the mail included absentee ballots.

"The United States Postal Inspection Service immediately began investigating and we reserve further comment on this matter until that is complete," spokesman Bob Sheehan wrote.

The number of pieces of mail involved was not known.

E: Trump sure was joking when he said get rid of the ballots yeah?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That Works posted:

From WI

The interesting part is Outagamie skews Republican, maybe even CHUDy

"Outagamie County has voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 12 of the last 15 presidential elections."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^There's your casus belli.

McNally posted:

They landed in Maryland. Unless some of them happened to have been born in Canada, none of the troops responsible for burning Washington had ever set foot in Canada.

I might be misremembering (and all my books are still boxed away) but I thought they landed in Halifax, then were shipped down the coast.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

^There's your casus belli.

I might be misremembering (and all my books are still boxed away) but I thought they landed in Halifax, then were shipped down the coast.

I think they arrived in Maryland via Bermuda.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

I think they arrived in Maryland via Bermuda.

That sounds right. I really need to knock out some half-finished projects so I can build some shelves.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's far more likely that the Democrats just give in to the Trumpists if push comes to shove. They'll justify it in the name of "stability" or whatever, but they'll just be looking out for their own financial interests. There will still be the performative hashtag resistance, but anyone who actually wants to meaningfully oppose Trump will be on their own.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

From WI

FAKE, THE REAL PROBLEM IS BALLOTS ILLEGALLY REMOVED FROM PENNSYLVANIA (there were nine, this never should've been loving announced, everything involved with this is dirty)

https://twitter.com/MDPAnews/status/1309183586839465984?s=19

But anyways, a funnier thing:

https://twitter.com/rljourno/status/1309200841556086784?s=19

Basically, a weed party candidate died in Minnesota, which due to state law, means that the district election doesn't count. The party is considered "major" since it's on the ballot. So, the seat goes to a special election in February!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/WMUR9/status/1309182831931916292

the laws exist to protect them from us