Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

1glitch0 posted:

I'll probably be probed if I explain the joke.
Yeah, we're all aware that her private sex tapes were stolen and leaked against her wishes, that's not why anyone said "what the gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
When the war started, I had two different TVs set up in the same room so I could watch both at once. It's been what less than a year? I haven't even read full results of NXT most weeks and I've got passing interest in Takeovers because how how steep the drop in quality was. And it's a fuckin' shame because there's so many people who used to be some of my favorites there and they've just adapted to the NXT House Style which is just barely flashier than the main roster style.

Moving to Tuesday probably isn't going to get me to start watching again, even if I had nothing else in particular to do Tuesday nights

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Tato posted:

At least Law and Order SVU writes the characters off as they leave. I'm supposed to believe NXT is an actual brand when the champs keep losing their belts and then immediately show up on Raw/SD the next episode without a single bit of explanation or closure. Then it just ends up with one of the same 4 loving wrestlers getting the belt again.
Complaining about that's pretty futile when people are just turning heel/face for no reason, stories get dropped, and all sorts of other really stupid poo poo on the main rosters anyway. WWE running the one thing they had that made the "smark" fans they hate so much give WWE another shot is such a WWE thing to do.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The two TV/PPV events I went to were

WCW Souled Out 1999: Goldberg/Scott Hall in a ladder match after Goldberg's streak was ended + a REALLY awesome 4-Way between Psicosis/Rey/Juvi/Kidman
AEW Dynamite #5: The Halloween episode where Kenny came out as Sans from Undertale and I think it was Shida's Dynamite debut

On the subject of NXT to Tuesday, it's kind of funny that they'll be saddled up with TNA again after TNA tried very unsuccessfully to start a war against the WWE, and less than 10 years later the WWE has bled out so many viewers that they're getting the same ratings as TNA did in their futile Monday Night War attempt

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

sheamus is going to win. i can feel it in my bones.
Big E will win but job regardless. They want to cement Roman as heel so unless they turn Corbin face there’s no other choice there

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I got to one of these during a vacation in St. Pete, and yeah it was fun. I got to see Braun before they knew what they were doing with him.
I think that still applies all the way up until his most recent appearance

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

WWE isn't in this to win, they're in it to drain people's bank account and make them completely miserable the entire process. So it would take say, a union of currently employeed wrestlers to get things to change :thunk:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I have no idea how real sports work and to what control the teams/league have over those Athletes but (surprise!) they usually have unions are are EXTREMELY well paid at the professional level most of the time.

But WWE is Sports Entertainment, so it'd be like telling Bryan Cranston while he was doing Breaking Bad that he cannot appear in any commercials or other endorsements because it might hurt the Breaking Bad Brand.

The WWE must be jealous of idol culture in Japan and Korea where their company controls literally every single aspect of their life, and scandals like having a boyfriend without permission is grounds to blackball that person from the entertainment industry after dragging them through the mud

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Given some of the amounts floating around at the Twitch/Cameo money, couldn't they just pay the fines and keep on doing what they're doing?

(Obviously the fines are still bullshit. Just saying they'd still come out way ahead.)
Depends on if the fines are worth it. Guys (Especially RVD) used to brag they made so much in WWE and getting busted for weed was such an insignificant amount to them they'd just set aside money to pay the fines for drug tests. If WWE wants to be extra petty they'll do things like take them off TV in addition to paying larger than normal fines and unless the workers do something about them, they can add on to their contract if they protest and sit at home during their contract.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah this seems like "long term booking" to get THE ODDS against Big E so he can overcome them later, except in the unlikely event that Vince changes his mind between now and then.
New Day have been pretty vocal against standing up to Vince and his bullshit before, so I'm speculating here, when Vince told him "Stop doing Cameo" (Big E mentioned he was told this in the past already) Vince said "gently caress it, take him out of the match" and put Jey loving Uso in the match.

Big E was the only loving guy that made sense winning that match against a heel champ, with three heels in the 4-way and they've already been kind of hinting at Big E's big singles push. This was spite booking.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I went to reddit and saw the thread "Vince McMahon officially bans all WWE talent from associating themselves with 3rd Parties (Twitch, Cameo). Talents given 30 days to comply."

I thought "well maybe it's because I browse Squared circle occasionally" that it was on the front page, so I loaded up my VPN and I switched between 4 different servers in four different countries.

WWE's awful treatment of their wrestlers is trending internationally on reddit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Weren't WWE trying to recreate the Meet and Greet packages by selling 2 minute zoom calls for an insane amount of money as part of Summer Slam?

It's not just income though, it's probably like the one fun thing these wrestlers do where they get to interact with fans and just be themselves. I'm sure some people would even be against the ban if WWE threw another $100,000 at them to make up for the lost income. They're already grossly underpaid for what they do, now they're trying to take away extra income and joy from these people
I'm waiting for the hot take that Brandy's Heel's also charges for a similar service while ignoring that AEW doesn't loving care what people do in their free time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Bix, Andrew Yang & Marty McFly's mom are gonna save wrestling together.
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1150120053947412480?lang=en

Unionize

Cerebral Bore posted:

Andrew Yang is a complete idiot at best and a malicious piece of poo poo at worst, but when he's right he's right. Not that the Democrats would actually stand up for workers' rights, but still.
I don't know anything about Yang besides him fighting for Universal Basic Income, what's he doing poorly?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rarity posted:

Britt Baker's boyfriend's girlfriend is dunking on the competition!

https://twitter.com/RealBrittBaker/status/1302105295112593408
Coward Cole is afraid of calling out Vince because he'd have to go to AEW and go nose to nose with Riho

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Bruh....
Yeah kinda fucks me up too that Riho has been wrestling since 2006 and is Cole's senior

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Akileese posted:

If I were one of these people making a shitload on twitch or cameo, I'd call their bluff. I don't think they're going to fire anyone.
Paige isn't having any of it, and I get this feeling people are weighing options right now is because it's in the middle of a pandemic and they could be potentially sitting home unpaid for a very long time if they attempt to fight it alone.

Unionize! Don't worry, WWE has enough boot lickers, brain worms, and professional catering taste testers to continue the brand without you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

One day I dream of the day I wake up and read posts from boomers complaining that the wrestlers unionized and ruined the industry because Vince said they couldn't play their video games.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

People are calling KENTA someone who couldn't cut it in WWE and a castoff, a dude who had maybe a combined 20 hours combined in the ring over the length of his 5 year WWE career because he spent most of it injured or not booked. Sure, Hideo Itami had a 5 year career in the WWE but it's so minuscule to the other 15 years he wrestled and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in the ring longer in one month in NOAH than most years he was in the ring for the WWE

The WWE fans are in the cult too and will find any way they can to make wrestlers feel like they didn't matter unless they were working for the WWE, no matter how long or great their careers were outside of it were before or after.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

I saw mention of this on the twitter TL a couple days ago and it lead to another conversation about how they just don't know what to do with Japanese talent. Like - What the hell is KUSHIDA doing? Been in the company for a year in a half now. Wildly popular outside of WWE. Seems to just be... coasting.

Tozawa? Not as popular as KUSHIDA but he's been there for 4 years. Was always charismatic and easy to get behind in US appearances before them.

I know they use Nakamura but me not watching I can't really judge. I don't even remember how they followed up his Rumble win. Is it fair of me to say they haven't tried to reach his potential? I know he could be lazy as hell at times in New Japan. Shrug.
I love the hell out of Asuka, but I really don't think she's better at wrestling or more charismatic than Tozawa, Nakamura, or Kairi, or Shirai. I don't know what it was about her specifically that clicked for Vince, but as we saw with Kairi it wasn't that he cared less about the women's division, nobody snuck Asuka passed Vince while he wasn't paying attention, she was pretty much always kept strong except for a brief period after she lost to Flair where she lost to fuckin Carmella of all people

They've got the same exact problem with Luchadores, they've unmasked the biggest bulk of them that have come through and the ones who still have masks are treated like jobbers or jokes. Instead of creating this fabled new Rey Mysterio they opted to stall long enough they just got back Rey Mysterio and they're prepping his son up to be the next new star even though he looks like a very large dork without a mask or character.

Let's also add in some of the resentment that Vince has against indie darlings and guys under 6'4. There's just a couple anomalies in the WWE that have been given the chance to get over and stay at the top of the card and I think Vince would probably much rather have an 80's looking WWF roster full of roided out white beef muscle men, a couple racist caricatures, sprinkled with Bikini models like Sable and Sunny type valets that don't or barely wrestle.

The WWE isn't being wrote for fans of Wrestling, it's being wrote for an audience of Vince McMahon and we've seen over the last 15 years if he doesn't "get" it, that act isn't going to stick around for long unless they get so over that Vince thinks he can make money off them (Like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Becky Lynch)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's some kind of joke comparing the WWE and the US draft during the Vietnam War here, someone catch the lay-up

Vince absolutely thinks he's entitled to control the lives of everyone who works for him and the fans still around encourage the behavior by attacking anyone that's ever worked there and speaks badly against it. I know there's obnoxious fans from almost every single promotion out there but WWE has done more harm in the last 10 years to Wrestling than it has to help it and Vince would rather have the entire wrestling industry die with him by any means necessary than see any kind of legitimate competition or alternative to his brand in his life again.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 7, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rarity posted:

Remember how some wXw content went up on the Network? Well they cut out all the bits with Julian Pace and David Starr who were named during #SpeakingOut
Would have assumed they did that before because they were already mad as hell about David Starr talking about unions and stepping on the NXT UK belt

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ICR posted:

I love when WWE gets their hand on the dictionary and just throws what they feel are cool words together.

Locusts of Contempt
Cerebral Assassin
The Piccadilly of Punishment
Harbingers of Happenstance
The Breadstick Maker of Olive Garden

Some of these may be actual WWE things. Some aren’t. You may never know the difference but if you are a real fan, oh, you’ll know...
The angry bugs
The brain beater

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It can still be the voice of Owens pitched up without Owens having any involvement with the group, they do this kinda stuff all the time and the deeper voice could be Braun, also having nothing to do with the group. Undertaker and Kane did Kai En Tai dubs once, Vince has done a handful of voice overs for stuff completely unrelated to them.

Chances are they still don't even know who's in Retribution anyway

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I just made myself really bummed out by falling down the rabbit hole of NTX -> Main Roster debuts from 2016-2018 and I just can't imagine what the state of the WWE will look like when they can have RAWs in front of full capacity crowds again

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Neodoomium posted:

I'm amazed he hasn't already been called up to be a ninja.
Ricochet was temporarily taken off Superstars to appear as a ninja weeks after his "big things are coming" interview before he went back to superstars. If they hadn't decided to do not-Nation of Domination he'd still probably be there because according to Vince, black people only fight other black people and sometimes Vikings.

So Kushida was only marginally better off not being on the main roster than Ricochet was for a long time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ah, true. They definitely referenced it in the promo. Which is kinda lovely if it doesn't lead to rehires
No, it's lovely to fire them in the first place and then turn it into an angle. Drake Maverick "won" his job back cutting a promo and working his rear end while he wasn't technically under contract and he's already back to fuckin nowhere

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Orange Carlisle posted:

I like how the retribution group complains about stuff that are real complaints by the talent but of course WWE needs to twist it into a painfully uncool angle instead of addressing and fixing it backstage for real
WWE have been making heels the most reasonable people in the company for years and treating them like they're the bad people. CM Punk was supposed to be a heel after the Pipebomb promo, but the fans refused to treat him like one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

The pipebomb promo set up Vince as the heel with Cena and Punk being two different types of babyfaces.
Punk screwed over Cena (Babyface) and let R-Truth (A heel) to win right before that promo.

Run down Cena, Hogan, and The Rock (A heel thing)
Gripe about how "management held him down", talks poo poo about USA Network, and talk about Lesner in a positive light before Lesner returned (A heel thing)
Brag about being the best (A heel thing)
Talks about how much he hates the hypocritical fans buying WWE products and asking him for autographs (A heel thing)
Brings up rival promotions on where he'll take the title (A heel thing)

If anything, it was supposed to be a heel turn while painting "smarks" as also heels to the WWE because Vince truly hated the idea of smarks and indie darlings, and thought that threatening to go to ROH or NJPW would upset the fans.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

blunt posted:

Vince seems to have a weird 5 year itch for someone cutting a 'shoot promo' about how bad he and WWE are:

2001 - Paul Heyman
2006 - Joey Styles
2011 - CM Punk

Who was 2016? I'd totally checked out of the product by that point.
I think the two closest examples after was Daniel Bryan in 2014, who didn't actually cut a shoot promo but was so over fans hijacked the show and forced him into the WM main event, and after that Becky in 2018 by proxy of Nia Jax shoot injuring her and becoming so over the WWE had no control over the product again, but tried to tie the "shoot" aspect in by having Becky cut worked-shoot promos and angles on Flair and Ronda

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It was a work where Miz and Brian cut shoot promos on how different they were and kayfabe hated each other. It lead to nothing because Brian couldn't wrestle at the time and Vince didn't give a poo poo about what happened on side-shows so the ultimate blowoff we got was face Miz vs heel Danial Brian

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

So Miz and Bryan have real life beef?

That sucks. I know they are very different people, but I wanted to think they were friends.
To my knowledge there's no beef between them, they're both professionals in their own way and they learned a whole lot from each other but I doubt they ever hang out together because they're polar opposites as both wrestlers and real life people.

They get under each other's skin and make natural rivals, the Talking Smack promo came at a really awkward time where Brian couldn't do anything about it and the WWE is so bad at booking they never followed up on it.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 9, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

The whole purpose of airing NXT on Wednesdays in the first place was to undercut AEW. They're not moving unless they're forced to.
If I'm not mistaken, NXT was already on Wednesdays but it was filmed in one month blocks and went on-demand, and most shows were fairly inconsequential because champions only showed up to build to Takeovers.

WWE decided to put them live and dilute their own product to attempt to kneecap AEW despite claiming that AEW weren't a threat and they never think about them (Also NXT started like two weeks live before AEW, and NXT would time commercials around AEW so people would flip over to them and hope people would stay there)

How hard could it have been to book a show with legitimately, like 15 of the best pro wrestlers from the past 8 years? AEW had higher peaks (Jericho, Omega, Riho, Bucks, Mox) but the average level of talent when NXT and AEW went head to head, NXT was way ahead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

shiksa posted:

the minimum workrate level nowadays is so high that its almost a moot point about who has the best wrestlers, but how they're used

the exception is wwe really REALLY ate up a lot of the top women's talent and that's a much shallower pool because the idea of a mainstream serious female wrestler was absolute fantasy, what, 10 years ago?
They've got the monopoly on women's wrestlers that had buzz between 2005 and 2015 that are still active wrestlers, and managed to basically ensure Kairi and Ember retire early wasting what should have been the prime of their careers. They're doing their best at making sure Io Shirai and Candace LaRae never stay over too despite both being arguably the two most well known non-WWE women under 35 before they signed

WWE is real bad at this whole wrestling thing and they're starting to sink the ship in the sports entertainment industry too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Okay, I just saw the Carmella clips on Twitter and I've got to ask how many women have been given this EXACT same gimmick, with these exact same promo packages only for the WWE to get cold feet or drop it early.

Summer Rae, Eva Marie, Lana, Emma, Liv, and now Carmella? How many am I missing here

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

What even is the gimmick? ”A beautiful woman”? Wow, that’s quite the exciting pro wrestling gimmick. Riveting
I think Liv's was that but emo but every other woman's packages were just "Look at this beautiful woman dressing up" and every time they do this I can't figure out what it has to do with wrestling at all. Like the rest of the women's roster don't dress up when they go somewhere?

Is Vince just chasing another Sable or something? Is that why he's obsessed with Brock Lesner?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The brand split is supposed to be there to address the roster bloat they had after buying out WCW/ECW and it made sense back then when there wasn't a whole lot of interaction between the brands and anytime they were cross-promoting there were legitimate rivalries that were hold-overs from pre brand-split or when one or two people moved brands.

But now there's so many cross-overs and brand shake-ups it doesn't loving matter. There's still theoretically more reasons to keep a brand split than get rid of it though because:

There's still a massively bloated roster, it just doesn't feel like it because they use like a tenth of them on TV.
Having titles for both shows was a good way to have 2-3 different sets of main eventers and stories going
Fox and USA are two rival networks and want the show they're paying millions for to feel like THEIR WWE brand (But WWE is doing a godawful job of doing it)

I know people loathe the brand split but every time they've been lax on it, Smackdown just becomes a recap show and they use the same ~15 people on both shows. I guess I don't have a horse in the race anymore because watching all 3 shows is already exhausting enough to me so I only watch like an hour of WWE a week anyway but y'all enjoy having Baron Corbin main eventing two shows a week

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Remember how TNA had an incredible roster, but IPMACT! was, at times, a nightmare hellscape of wasted potential?

Oh, how the worm turns.
NXT might have the best female talent in the world, but Impact has the most diverse and fun characters on their roster bar none out of the NA promotions, and this is without Impact relying on any Mexico or Japanese girls. Impact has the most well-rounded until the girls from Dark start making their way up

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DeepDickPizza posted:

Also, as a person who watches a lot of Cartoon Network in the afternoon, I remembered that they've been running commercials for their Wrekkin' Slambulance toy for like a month now with Drew heavily featured and narrating it. Long before it was announced or even hinted at on television. I think they did the same thing with Braun before his ambulance match with Roman (?) a couple years ago. So, the company clearly has some long-term planning and it all revolves around promoting specific toys.
They did the same thing with the Shark Cage, I honestly don't know if it's WWE telling the toy company they're doing a gimmick or if the toy company is saying "hey we're making this, can you promote it"

The first time NXT did the shark cage it was so jarring because Paul Ellering rarely, if at all interfered in matches before that and didn't do it after either

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

fatherofmustard posted:

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/139580/what-happened-with-mickie-james-and-asuka-last-night.html?p=1

"The planned finish was for James to tap out to the Asuka Lock but the bell was rung prematurely while James and Asuka were grappling with James selling Asuka trying to lock her in a submission hold.

PWInsider.com has been told by numerous sources that the decision was made to ring the bell out of concern that James might actually have been out on her feet due to the way she was selling the move.

We are told James was actually fine and just did siuch an excellent job of selling that she was out of it that she fooled those in charge, who signaled that the match be stopped, instructions the referee followed."
But they wouldn't stop Flair from trying to murder Kairi after everyone on the planet knew she had a concussion. :tinfoil: I wonder if they've got their fingers on the trigger after the Matt Hardy accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There might've been more significance to Hurt Business defending RAW if they hadn't debuted like the same time Retribution did, and did more than just harass Apollo Crews and R-Truth for a couple months.