Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Freeman's outstanding defensive trait is his ability to stretch and save throws that would otherwise be errors, sometimes just saving those bases but also adding outs because of how well he holds the bag even when at full stretch. He also has an outstanding arm for a first baseman, which doesn't actually add too much the position but you notice it when he gets the chance. However, since none of that really shows up in metrics and his range is average at best, he's always going to get punished by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

I mean, it’s absurd to me, a person who has watched every dodgers game. Defensive metrics are trash

This is me, but with the Yankees and Gio Urshela. 1 DRS in 2019? -1.1 def?!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Happy 40 year anniversary

https://twitter.com/TDISportsClips/status/1306454291826212865

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lmao this is so good

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Freeman's outstanding defensive trait is his ability to stretch and save throws that would otherwise be errors, sometimes just saving those bases but also adding outs because of how well he holds the bag even when at full stretch. He also has an outstanding arm for a first baseman, which doesn't actually add too much the position but you notice it when he gets the chance. However, since none of that really shows up in metrics and his range is average at best, he's always going to get punished by them.
This is what everyone said about Eric Hosmer for years.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Actually wow I keep looking at this and I didn't realize Freeman was this good this year. I've basically heard nothing about him in the MVP race: it's all been Mookie and Tatis. Is it just big market/narrative hype or something? Freeman's offensive numbers are loving insane.

For one thing, this "season" is around 7 weeks old. Things change fast. I'm not talking about Freeman in particular, but for example, Teoscar Hernandez was having an OK season, and then he went on an insane tear for I dunno, 2 weeks? And was suddenly one of the best hitters in the league. And then he missed 10 days with an injury and lost whatever chance he had at MVP probably. See also: Fernando Tatis "fading" because he had a bad week.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In a season where over half the teams make the playoffs, the Mariners defied all odds and remained adamant about keeping history alive. Yes, friends, the Mariners will likely miss the playoffs for a 19th straight year.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Kirios posted:

In a season where over half the teams make the playoffs, the Mariners defied all odds and remained adamant about keeping history alive. Yes, friends, the Mariners will likely miss the playoffs for a 19th straight year.

Rude

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

This is what everyone said about Eric Hosmer for years.

If I remember right, Hosmer was renowned for being able to dig out just about anything? Freddie is good at that, but what really sets him apart is you don't see many 6'5" first-basemen doing this (like it might actually be causing him musculoskeletal harm in the long run, kinda worried about it):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I just mean everyone said his 1B defense was excellent specifically because he could catch any throw, which then supposedly makes it easier on the rest of the infield who don't stress about making perfect throws to first.

In Hosmer's case it was a bit of narrative compensation for the fact that he's been a pretty bad defensive 1B in terms off range/reaction, which is easier to quantify. I have no read on Freeman one way or another, but I get suspicious when people highlight those catches as a 1B's best defensive skill.

Basically I think great defensive 1B all do this kind of thing well, but the range/reaction aspect is more difficult & rare so when people emphasize the stretches or digging out rough throws it makes me assume they're worse on the other stuff.

Another reason I tend to discount the digging/stretching for bad throws skill is having watched Muncy's 1B defense evolve in recent years. When the Dodgers started playing him at 1B a lot, he would gently caress these things up and I found myself saying "damnit, Cody would've had that" a lot. But with regular reps he got significantly better at it and now he seems just fine. The plays where he still looks worse than Bellinger at 1B are now reaction time/range stuff, again leading me to believe that's the more difficult skill.

Don't read this as me making GBS threads on Freeman, he's a great player and if he wins this hellyear MVP it will be deserved.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 17, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like Hosmer's catching range and hands both are (or at least were) visibly better than other 1Bs. I suppose the only real way to track that is to compare throwing error rate by his other infielders versus when someone else is playing 1B, but there probably aren't enough data points there to draw any real conclusions.

anyway, here's a fun video of him picking up lots of bad throws mainly from moustakas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P4s4CnU5uM

it is funny how almost every video has some variation of "HE DID IT AGAIN" from physioc

His range on batted balls was and I'm sure still is pretty mediocre, but I'd rather have a 1B that's a vacuum on bad throws.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The key is to just be Matt Olson and be good at all of it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dutchy posted:

The key is to just be Matt Olson Cody Bellinger and be good at all of it
:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-nB8yO6B0

hot take: I don't see a difference between Bellinger and Hosmer here

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-nB8yO6B0

hot take: I don't see a difference between Bellinger and Hosmer here

the difference is that one of them is being massively underpaid

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

elentar posted:

If I remember right, Hosmer was renowned for being able to dig out just about anything? Freddie is good at that, but what really sets him apart is you don't see many 6'5" first-basemen doing this (like it might actually be causing him musculoskeletal harm in the long run, kinda worried about it):

I'm 6'5" and I used to do that. Then I dislocated my knee, got a pulmonary embolism, and died twice in the ER. But then, I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and I'd be shocked if any MLB players do. I hope Freddie's trainers are helping him not hurt himself.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Every time Rizzo does the splits I can feel my loving legs explode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Buxton hit another one, three (four) games in a row and six (seven) of his last nine. And one of those games he was a defensive replacement and only had one AB.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chamale posted:

I'm 6'5" and I used to do that. Then I dislocated my knee, got a pulmonary embolism, and died twice in the ER. But then, I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and I'd be shocked if any MLB players do. I hope Freddie's trainers are helping him not hurt himself.

Yikes

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cleveland has started making a lot of really bad mental errors. I wonder if Francona is worse off than the team has been putting out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Cleveland has started making a lot of really bad mental errors. I wonder if Francona is worse off than the team has been putting out.

They were distracted by the drone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Buxton hit another one, three (four) games in a row and six (seven) of his last nine. And one of those games he was a defensive replacement and only had one AB.

update buxton now has two home runs today

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/1306671166359126016

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1306284270567202816

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

R.D. Mangles posted:

They were distracted by the drone.

Its been going for like a week. They've been fielding, baserunning and pitching terribly. The hitting is bad but that's normal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TalkinJake/status/1306683850463088640

lmao Donaldson rules

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is the greatest way I've ever seen a batter get tossed and that includes Delmon Dogg

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this was the pitch that was called a strike, for reference

emphasis on the word "called" because Donaldson asked if it was called a strike or if it was being counted as a swing before getting a little heated

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
it’s not like jeffers hasn’t been stealing pitches off the plate all day too, and anyways he hit a home run so maybe don’t act like a petulant child and hurt your team in the process

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Should have took a fistful of dirt and thrown it on the plate imo

That ump has a very small penis

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Donaldson probably shouldn't be getting tossed in a meaningfulish game but I can see why he didn't like the call and getting tossed as you cross home plate on a dinger is hilarious.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The best part is he was tossed for the initial soft kick and then he went back to kick more dirt on the plate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

This is me, but with the Yankees and Gio Urshela. 1 DRS in 2019? -1.1 def?!

It's +5 this year. Was just looking at his numbers. Dude is such a loving good player.... 900 OPS.. K's down and walks up from last year. 6 homers in 130 AB...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 18, 2020

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Aroldis Chapman, eat your heart out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqidD7kVnxY

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1306722352106033152

V: This sucks. Ferguson has had a kind of up-and-down go of it for several years now, but this year he was finally putting it together as a committed reliever. It's gotta be frustrating to succumb to TJS just when you're finally clicking in the big leagues.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cards' Dakota Hudson left after 2 innings with "elbow tightness". Not good

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Just wanted to say that Josh Donaldson is hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm worried that the Blue Jays pitching staff reigniting my passing interest in this season reveals I might just be a front runner.

On the other hand home runs are fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why isn’t mcmagic praising the Yankees? How can you be a fan of a team without enjoying when they do well?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RCarr posted:

Why isn’t mcmagic praising the Yankees? How can you be a fan of a team without enjoying when they do well?

I praised them in this and in the gameday thread brah. Chillax.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still think the Yankees should tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loving love this man, and this is exactly why. "If you're a kid in little league or whatever and you coach tells you to hit on top of the ball, you tell him 'No.'" The fact that he has a nice swing and is very attractive also helps.

He's from Pensacola and probably a chud, but I don't care at the moment. He's a beautiful Bringer of Rain, and he's funny as poo poo on top of it.