Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
DR is notoriously one of the most dangerous places to drive in the world so it is entirely possible thing was just an accident. Scary regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure DR traffic law is basically the same as Mad Max

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So the NL playoff race comes down to 6 teams (Marlins, Phillies, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Giants) competing for the last 4 spots. And we might not know who's in on Sunday night, because the Cards will only have played 58 games. I thought MLB would just use winning percentage, but nope: https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-may-need-to-make-up-tigers-games If those two games matter, the Cards will have to play a doubleheader in Detroit on the off day next Monday. Would be their 12th doubleheader of the season :lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

DR is notoriously one of the most dangerous places to drive in the world so it is entirely possible thing was just an accident. Scary regardless.

Feels like we've gotten awful news regarding a player/prospect out of there at least once an offseason for years now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: Jacob deGrom pitched seven innings, gave up two earned runs, got 14 strikeouts, and still managed to lose.

V: I wonder how well a pitcher can perform and still get the L. Could someone somehow throw a no-hitter and lose? Because I feel like if anyone could, it's good old Jake.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: Jacob deGrom pitched seven innings, gave up two earned runs, got 14 strikeouts, and still managed to lose.

V: I wonder how well a pitcher can perform and still get the L. Could someone somehow throw a no-hitter and lose? Because I feel like if anyone could, it's good old Jake.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU196404230.shtml

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

That's hilarious, and also I feel bad for him.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

YeahTubaMike posted:

That's hilarious, and also I feel bad for him.

On an error by 36-year-old Nellie Fox, with Pete Rose scoring.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I always thought of Pete as a 70's guy, I had no idea he played almost all of the 60s, too.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rooster Brooster posted:

I always thought of Pete as a 70's guy, I had no idea he played almost all of the 60s, too.

Also most of the 80s.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

YeahTubaMike posted:

Harvey Haddix 13 perfect innings

RIP

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Under 2020 rules you can throw a 10-inning perfect game and still lose.

Face 27 batters through 9, retire all 27. In the 10th, induce three groundouts. There, you lost.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

more falafel please posted:

Under 2020 rules you can throw a 10-inning perfect game and still lose.

Face 27 batters through 9, retire all 27. In the 10th, induce three groundouts. There, you lost.

you could also in theory get a ten inning perfect game only facing 29 batters

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
“We are pressing ahead to have fans in Texas,’’ said Manfred, with a ticket sales announcement expected soon. “One of the most important things to our game is the presence of fans. Starting down the path of having fans in stadiums, and in a safe and risk-free environment, is very, very important to our game.’’

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Well duh, if there are no fans all that's going on is the actual baseball game, which is boring and lovely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Neutral site World Series with fans in pandemic times. Brilliant.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A big group of maskless rich people sitting right behind home plate coughing constantly. For the atmosphere.

Edit: lol and the whole point of using Texas is because the stadiums are enclosed and indoors for weather but worse for virus spread than if they were outdoor ones.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They could of course host the World Series in Petco or Dodger Stadium but then there’s a chance a team might have home field advantage so guess we’d better just go with the plague domes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OOTP continues to troll Dodger fans. With 5 games left in the season over on BRef OOTP, the Dodgers have broken the 2001 Mariners' record. Clayton Kershaw is 17-0

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

OOTP continues to troll Dodger fans. With 5 games left in the season over on BRef OOTP, the Dodgers have broken the 2001 Mariners' record. Clayton Kershaw is 17-0

How'd that Mariners season record turn out for them?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mustached Demon posted:

How'd that Mariners season record turn out for them?

Rude

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bawfuls posted:

They could of course host the World Series in Petco or Dodger Stadium but then there’s a chance a team might have home field advantage so guess we’d better just go with the plague domes.

Can it really make much difference when the space enclosed by a dome is so large, or is the concern more about the concourses being enclosed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Fans flying in from across the country to any stadium is just an incredibly dumb idea.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Andrelton Simmons opted out for the rest of the season.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Popete posted:

Fans flying in from across the country to any stadium is just an incredibly dumb idea.

Americans just straight up don't care how many other Americans die because were a country of narcissists

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kris bryant is injured but he's also hitting .190

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1308563364793192450?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Update here.

https://twitter.com/jamessantelli/status/1308571930627379203?s=21

Praying the prosecutors of full of poo poo. Don’t really have much to say other than that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GalacticAcid posted:

Update here.

Praying the prosecutors of full of poo poo. Don’t really have much to say other than that.

Five years for killing three people while driving drunk. Christ, the laws over there are so ridiculous.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves :toot:

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

And Acuna is a dad now apparently! Woo!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/DevanFink/status/1308591698847637506

https://twitter.com/DevanFink/status/1308592050951069707

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1308569568475074568

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh Donaldson looks um..

Big

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

"We are planning on having the beaches open," says Amity mayor Larry Vaughn, with the holiday weekend approaching. "One of the most important things on our island is tourists swimming and enjoying the beaches. Starting down the path of having vacationers arriving, and in a safe and shark-free environment, is very, very important to our economy."

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Timby posted:

Five years for killing three people while driving drunk. Christ, the laws over there are so ridiculous.

Depending on specific charges, you can get less than a year for it in Oklahoma.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GalacticAcid posted:

Update here.

I'm pretty curious since the initial report said that alcohol likely wasn't a factor. I'm going with wait-and-see here. If they have a BAC report I'll definitely chuck this dude on the pile of Baseball Guys Who Are Assholes.

edit:

ccubed posted:

Depending on specific charges, you can get less than a year for it in Oklahoma.

The mother of an acquaintance of mine was killed by a drunk driver. He was driving drunk in the middle of the day in a company vehicle and had 8 previous DUIs AND a suspended license. It still took nearly three years to put him in jail, and even so it wasn't even the maximum (which iirc was 15 years.) Idaho!

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 23, 2020

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Instead of the runner on 2nd, how about a 4th out?

Also just realized the best part would be the possibility of a quadruple play

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
On one hand, this is a bullshit season that shouldn't be happening. On the other, I want Cleveland win a World Series basically more than almost anything else in my life. So I'm going to be deeply invested for at least 2 more games this year.