Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm going to the world series bubble and i'm going to bang cans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1305632522563321856?s=21

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

jesus christ that smoke

how do you even play in that

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

I just learned that there have been 2 no hitters thrown at Miller Park and both were by cubs pitchers.

Neither were in front of any Brewers fans.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

jesus christ that smoke

Over here on the west coast we've basically been living the apocalypse for a couple weeks now; I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw the actual blue sky. And there's no end in sight because the fires are so big and there's so much smoke that it's going to take ages to all dissipate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

jesus christ that smoke

According to the EPA: "Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects"...

"The following groups should avoid all outdoor exertion:
• People who are active outdoors."

Play ball!!!

The past decade of climate change with all the rising temperatures and increased storms was during the cold part of the sun's 22-year temperature cycle. We just entered the hot part of that cycle, so expect all of the 2020's to be like this or worse.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Intruder posted:

jesus christ that smoke

Doubleheader today too lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pirates/status/1305673145479761920?s=21

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dutchy posted:

Doubleheader today too lol

Seems like if you're the pitcher you just hold the ball a long time between every pitch until the batter's eyes get irritated and watery

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets have a deal in place to sell. Pending league approval. 2.4 billion.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

jesus christ that smoke

Capitalism.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/1305717507685318657?s=21

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I haven't been this mad at an officiating crew since watching a D-league basketball game. The guys on the field AND the guys on review were garbage the whole game.

edit: this game could have been over an hour shorter if not for a zillion extra pitches, endless granting of time, terrible calls requiring review, all that poo poo. Just garbage.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 15, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What the gently caress? If he just leaves it there and never reaches for it fine, ground rules or whatever. But the fact that he threw it back into the infield should make it all moot

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

What the gently caress? If he just leaves it there and never reaches for it fine, ground rules or whatever. But the fact that he threw it back into the infield should make it all moot

Yeah as soon as he goes "oh poo poo my flopping isn't working" and grabs the ball and throws it back into the IF, you cannot possibly argue that ball is irretrievable and thus out of play.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Obvious dead ball, good call.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

It's correct to call it a dead ball, but the rule is overly general IMO:

Rule 5.05(a)(7) posted:

Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the
ground, passes through or under a fence, or through or
under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the fence
or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on
the fence, or which sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in
which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to
two bases;

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That rule is extreme general but even on close up it’s clearly not under. Whatever. Silly. I guess technically it’s still “sticking” in a fence/wall.

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1305719309730185216?s=21

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Obvious dead ball, good call.

Agreed. Eloy being able to pick it up or not is irrelevant really since the ball was out of play the moment it stopped

But also, good lord Eloy

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Same thing happened to the Jays the other day. Bichette was going to score easily from first on a double, but they sent him back to third. Even though the outfielder played the ball and didn’t throw his hands up or anything. Umpires went to review (seemed like they did it on their own, I dont think the opposing manager said anything) and sent him back to third.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair I'm only used to the Ivy rule in Wrigley where if you cannot see the ball in the ivy, you throw your hands up and it's an automatic GRD, but it just seems really dumb that if it gets stuck under the padding while still being visible you don't have to make a good faith effort to try and field the ball before declaring it dead.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1305725377520623616?s=20

I thought people learned a month ago to not get upset over the Padres having fun

The homer and batflip ruled

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Johnny Bravo posted:

I thought people learned a month ago to not get upset over the Padres having fun

:qq: :qq: :qq:

I don't care if it's loving Cy Young on the mound, flip the loving bat and admire your blast if you launch one. So loving sick of the unwritten rules being nothing but cover for pitchers being giant loving babies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm actually really pissed off Roberts said that, I liked him as a manager and thought he handled the Muncey/Bumgarner dust up over batflipping really well, but it turns out as soon as it's against his guy he turns into another boomer yelling at clouds about fun. gently caress off.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

To be fair I'm only used to the Ivy rule in Wrigley where if you cannot see the ball in the ivy, you throw your hands up and it's an automatic GRD, but it just seems really dumb that if it gets stuck under the padding while still being visible you don't have to make a good faith effort to try and field the ball before declaring it dead.

I assume it's to prevent players from jamming it deeper underneath or something otherwise :shrug:

The ground rule would have been created pre-replay

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Roberts has always been an unwritten rules kinda guy, it doesn't seem that surprising.

Also post the dinger in question, come on.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

Roberts has always been an unwritten rules kinda guy, it doesn't seem that surprising.

Also post the dinger in question, come on.

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSD/status/1305701165464780801?s=20
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1305701735936282624?s=20

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 15, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol gently caress off roberts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't mind the pimping the homer but the lights thing is annoying

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Dodgers deserved to have a World Series stolen from them by the Astros.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Just again floating the idea of a Padres-White Sox world series, putting it out there for the universe to consider and to act on because goddammit we need something fun and worthwhile and diverting

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If Kershaw wanted some respect he shouldn’t have hung a meatball over the plate imho.

Pimp All Dingers and Bunt Singles

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

davecrazy posted:

The Mets have a deal in place to sell. Pending league approval. 2.4 billion.

20 years ago you could buy a sports team for 1/10th of that. Now you can't even sniff a terrible NHL team for 250 million. Stadiums as well.Oh what a weird elite world we live in. I'm kinda glad Arod had no chance and MJ is still the only real ex-athlete to own a franchise.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If Kershaw wanted some respect he shouldn’t have hung a meatball over the plate imho.

Pimp All Dingers and Bunt Singles

:hmmyes:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Marlins are in 2nd in the NL East and are absolutely going to squeak into the playoffs and win the whole (sham) thing, if past is prologue

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shrecknet posted:

Marlins are in 2nd in the NL East and are absolutely going to squeak into the playoffs and win the whole (sham) thing, if past is prologue
We’re somehow going to do it with a very meh offense

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Johnny Bravo posted:

"Follow-up question: in your opinion, against which Dodgers pitchers may a hitter admire a moonshot?"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Idle thought unrelated: how do you score a swinging strike three, dropped ball and throw to first?

K, PB 2-3?

Or just K

What if the catcher just tags him in the box?

K2 ?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

All normal strikeouts are technically putouts credited to the catcher, so the 2 is probably implied unless it was actually something else like 2-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah their Pythag seems ignorable considering the roster upheaval