Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

lol they traded away a generational talent and drove the team into the gutter just to save the billionaire owner a little money

That billionaire also owns Liverpool FC btw, one of the most valuable soccer clubs in the world (who just won the Premier League)

can you piece it together now?

It's not like they've given away a generational talent for money before

I'll have to check on that though in case I'm remembering wrong

e: regarding luxury tax, they should make the tax go to the rest of the players in the league split evenly :colbert: Instead of just putting it on the other owners' pockets

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is the new chud thing to respond to tweets about covid deaths with “ok now tell me what preexisting conditions he had”? Because even for them that’s pretty loving horrid.

Yeah that's the new denialism. Anyone who gets covid and dies isn't actually killed by covid if they've ever had the sniffles before

e: vvv I see a lot of "oh they were immunocrompromised so they were susceptible to anything, covid isn't that big a deal" kind of stuff too

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 1, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Given that the threat was made overtly in comparison to the possibility Chapman just hosed up, start the Rays but not the Yankees with a warning every time they meet for the rest of the season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

both teams select a champion, the champion dons catcher gear and selects a baseball bat, and then they fight, the survivor's team wins the game

both of the yankees obvious choices are hurt as usual so they'd pick...Voit, I guess

obviously the rays go with choi

Suddenly a bidding war for Puig surfaces

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

mcmagic has been here for 16 years and has never stopped posting his stupid disease-ridden brain takes. it aint gonna start now, pal

and a deep drive to left by Castellanos....

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1301176807731978246

I'd like to meet all the people that are saying this is actually ok

Seems to be confusing people tuning in just for the novelty of it while it's new with actually liking the rule

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

(insert bawfuls incredulity here)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

my man what

He's not wrong that a tie would be a better solution, I just think it's more that in the US sports have a much higher aversion to ties as opposed to exceptionalism. As much as we love ties in TFF most people I know hate them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The later you get into the game the closer you get to position players pitching during meaningful innings which is just :discourse:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

You have my sword. Games are 90 minutes. Plus an arbitrary amount of time we may or may not tack onto the end that we won't tell you about until we tack it on.

why not just stop the clock during dead ball periods argh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

they should just run basketball the same way as soccer

they should not

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

I've noticed that you are completely sidestepping the "long rear end extra inning games are cool" postulate entirely

They're not so cool for the people at the games when concessions have been closed for like two hours though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Stoppage time is too arbitrary to feel satisfying to me, personally :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: wrong thread

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I can’t wait for the Yankees to get healthy and pulverize the league.

what the gently caress

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Any news on Oakland’s covid situation? How long has it been since they played?

Saturday

Lots of Oakland fans were super salty about them not playing Friday because they got swept in the Saturday doubleheader and the fans insist that the A's would have won with 9th inning magic

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

there is a natural stoppage after every single baseball play

As has been said already, the problem with replay's current implementation stems almost entirely from umpires having their fee-fee's hurt if their calls get overturned, so the umpires working the replay review have an overly stringent standard for how bad a call has to be before they'll overturn it

This is a problem of implementation, not with the concept of replay itself.

The bigger problem is every ump working the game has to jog over to the dugout even though they're not even reviewing the play themselves

e: honestly it feels like they're making it as obtrusive as possible so they can piss of fans who demanded replay and reduce the odds of expanding replay's use

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 4, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They need to make it not challengable whether or not a runner popped off a base for a fraction of a second

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good on them to give Bo some confidence

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Put an asterisk on the 2020 Dodgers championship but not the Astros 2017 IMO

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You live in cali you probably eat pizza with pineapple on it

e: what if I were to tell you

I didn't eat anything gross either

:smugdog:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The best deep dish in this town is the one my gf makes in a cast iron skillet from homemade dough :colbert:

That's not deep dish that's pan pizza a totally different thing :colbert:

Popete posted:

Jose Altuve, oof. I mean I know the obvious take is "lol trashstros" but man is he having a rough year.

Yeah he's not... he's not doing well

He was a .330ish hitter before 2017 so I think he's either trying to overcompensate or he became reliant and lost his ability

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My Illinois family

loving

LOVES

Imo's

Well the ones from Champaign anyway, not the Effingham crew

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't care for pineapple pizza and I don't like ham in general (lol those bananas) but hell I won't poo poo on someone for their pizza preferences. Pizza is good in general

except for monical's, that poo poo is trash

e: papa del's though, oh my god.

I want to drive to Champaign just to get some

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd eat that. I had crawfish pho from 99 ranch market on i10 and blalock and it was............. just ok

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Was altuve the guy that even the astros players were saying didn't want the trash can banged? There was one dude they said would glare at them and told them to gently caress off with that poo poo

That's what was claimed, also when the one dude counted up the bangs throughout the season Altuve had less than 10. The buzzer accusations intensified after he refused to have his jersey torn off after the walkoff on Aroldis

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kemp had zero bangs yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh man he was toast, what an awful throw

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Per fangraphs:

The Astros had a 90.3% chance of winning the first game of the doubleheader going into the final inning today

They lost

The Astros had a 97.1% chance of winning the second game of the doubleheader after recording the first out of the final inning today

They lost

I have no words

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

I have 11

good, the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

I mean

they won the one they cheated in

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

so you might say stealing signs beyond what the rules allow is a proud baseball tradition

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thank you. Finally some sanity

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strelok604 posted:

Watching Yankees fans lose their mind over a team that still has a winning record and playoff position has been great fun

The Astros are also going to make the playoffs but overall have one of the worst pitching staffs between starters and bullpen in baseball and aren't real contenders. It's just a funny year with the playoff rules

euphronius posted:

I don’t even remember what the original lost season was

IIRC it was a football Giants fan whining about the lost season, then the Giants won the Superbowl

Was it davecrazy?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

kalensc posted:

Sounds right.

Was it the same post that coined "DECADE OF SPECTACULAR FAILURE"?

Ah hell that's what it was I got it mixed up

I can't remember where lost season came from then. Probably the Patriots

e: man the football threads have given us some cool memes. Lost season. Decade of spectacular failure. Perfectly spherical breasts. I'm glad the Bengals lost. Scoping pretty heavy

e2: phone posting gave me some nice typos

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 7, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

From the second deck? lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros just got swept in four games by the Angels including giving up 9 runs in a game where Trout didn't play, ruining the Angels draft position but still maintain a 97% chance of making the playoffs because this season is weird and dumb

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 7, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's a shame the resurrection of Yu Darvish is buried in this useless plague season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But what if he pitches 5 more years of mediocre to bad innings? Is Lincecum probably in?

Lincecum isn't close to what deGrom has already been, nevermind adding more seasons unless he just falls off a cliff

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mariano finished ahead of Johan too :colbert:

Also come on, Bartolo having a Cy Young is one of the best things in baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't think deGrom gets elected if he retires today but his bWAR is nearly double Lincecum's, it's not really much of a comparison

69-50 record isn't going to help him though unless the old guard of voters has moved on by then