Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This Niners-Broncos game is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/1300827954793058304
https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/1301014463588556801

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1301176807731978246

I'd like to meet all the people that are saying this is actually ok

all rich guys talk like donald trump

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Like so much else, it's American Exceptionalism at work. The NPB solved the "extra innings problem" years ago by ending regular season games in a tie after 12 innings. But America can't just incorporate an innovation from overseas, we have to come up with something dumber and more American. Baseball is still the most American sport.

my man what

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

the specifics aren't really important, it's just another example of an American institution seeing a problem and saying "we have to do it our way no I don't care to learn from anyone else's experience."

You can say the proximate reason is "oh well American sports don't like ties" but for every example of this dynamic at work there is a similar reason in the narrow sense.

Sometimes it's a conscious rejection of non-American examples, other times it's a more general American vanity to not even consider that others may have encountered similar issues before, from which we might learn. The unifying theme is that America always finds a dumber, worse way to address a challenge others have already done better.

have you considered the idea that the man who floated the idea of banning the shift might just be stupid as poo poo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chamale posted:

I love long extra-innings game and the runner on second rule has decreased my interest in baseball this season.

extra innings games are cool as balls, which is an aspect of this that isn't being considered.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

See this is the thing, I am not convinced the runner on 2nd actually does this. I would like to see some data on it.
I am suggesting that his stupidity is in some ways a manifestation of American society

I've noticed that you are completely sidestepping the "long rear end extra inning games are cool" postulate entirely

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Football has a rulebook that is only challenged by the Magic: The Gathering comprehensive rules, as far as I'm concerned. They're about three years from just creating an on-field court system to figure out what a catch is, what constitutes "possession" and a million other things, pulling out the chains and calling it a game of inches, when the whole thing revolves around the arbitrary placement of the ball by one single person. "Oh whoops the chains don't lie, sorry." Fuckin' theater at its finest.

Considering how robbed of an actual game people are for those three and a half hours, though, it only follows that every single thing should take as much time as possible, regardless of how objectively accurate it may actually be.

And I *like* football as a game. (I hate the NFL and NCAA as organizations and football fandom as a culture, though.)

dude placing the ball is plenty precise using only proper tools

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I’m not eating anything gross if the Dodgers win

Eat the worst thing a Californian can imagine: a burrito made by South Dakotans

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers and Giants have never met in a postseason series so this is of course how the first one will go

Hello sir are you familiar with the giants win the pennant the giants win the pennant

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Weren’t those games technically regular season games

I've always seen them referred to as a baby playoff series.

Either way the season schedule concluded and this was after said season so checkmate

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I stand corrected and I'm more than happy for the 2020 giants dodgers series to end the same way

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Also the Giants cheated in 1951 and Bobby Thompson admitted he knew what pitch was coming cause they’d been stealing signs with a telescope for months

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

pro tier ump show poo poo right here

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1302775526810148870

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Joe West being a shithead chud is the least surprising thing that I have ever learned.

MadBum is antifa now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

he’s got his own issue with a racial pattern to who he picks fights with

still sticking to a half-decade old bill baer hot take when at this point we know madbum is just a huge rear end in a top hat (unless wil myers and max muncy are poc)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The fact that he's also gotten angry at white players doesn't negate the fact that he's more frequently gotten angry at poc, in a league that's what 75% white?

(you wouldnt even have noticed if bill baer hadn't have said anything and you just use it as a cudgel because madison bumgarner has multiple rings and is a world series mvp and clayton kershaw is yet to win a single title, and it chaps the poo poo out of you that that is a reality that you must live in)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

noted pacifist yasiel puig

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

He Had It Coming

fuckin LOL

do you not remember "Don't Look At Me!!" Bum is a big whiny baby who starts poo poo for the mildest of perceived slights but yeah that Hot Headed Latin Player Puig must have started it

if the dodgers win a title will you be normal about a single thing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

says the guy who paid for this avatar

yeah because you can't just be normal!!!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

if normal is stanning for Madison "Don't Look At Me" Bumgarner all the time then thank god I'm a fuckin weirdo

my standing position is that madbum is a huge piece of poo poo (not a racist) this is my default position please explain to me how this is stanning

anyway whatev who care

edit: he's a mutual enemy now gently caress a madison bumgarner racist rear end bitch

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 7, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Intruder posted:

Ah hell that's what it was I got it mixed up

I can't remember where lost season came from then. Probably the Patriots

e: man the football threads have given us some cool memes. Lost season. Decade of spectacular failure. Perfectly spherical breasts. I'm glad the Bengals lost. Scoping pretty heavy

e2: phone posting gave me some nice typos

DEAR ED "GUNS" HOCHULI

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

coronavirus posted:

You used to ump, didn't ya?

Gimme laser strike zones and gimme them now.

What is going on today? Is this bizarro land where people actually like the exaggerated dragon ball z punch strikeout call? I definitely trust the ump to call balls and strikes fairly when they get off in calling people out in the most grandstanding way.

Its the only good thing umps do and the only compelling case for no robo umps.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

It's a legitimate argument to keep human umps after robo umps are in play. Just have them act out the call.

I would actually love for balls and strikes to be called by a literal robo ump on the field. The regular ump stands behind them and does everything as normal because there's a little 80s LCD readout on the back that says "ball" or "strike."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Finally, reality is reflecting the Giants true nature as hellspawn

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1303838976399343616

The Giants were denied in 2016 and 2018. This is what happens when you release all the pent up EYBS energy.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The only thing that can stop eybs

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

yeah you loving assholes how dare you catch an insanely contagious virus when your job has you constantly traveling and being around people in an extremely unsafe and irresponsible attempt to make tv money

Selfish really

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Great performance but really stretching for a stat there
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1304945674513981442

Fewer.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

much like the dodgers GOT is only good 90% of the way

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

You won’t be alone.

Astros fans deciding they hate the Dodgers now because they remind you of the illegitimacy of your teams only championship sure is something.

Donovan Solano backwards is "ssory clayton"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

....whut?...

What's the logic here? I can't read the article bc I've blocked the nypost.

Covid loves liquid brother

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

yeah legit good teams like the 88 win Giants and 83 win Cardinals

They won the world series therefore

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1309589764295843846?s=19

In a turn of events... read the replies

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I think that you should broaden your horizons and not be so quick to judge. Sometimes the replies are good to read to get you out of your bubble, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a homerun. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame. I don't know if I'll be putting on this headset again. Whether that be for the Reds or my bosses at FOX.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

everything that could possibly be said about this already has been

I assure you I could find a few new things to say :getin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

3 playoff games in a decade for who could be the best player in history is loving disgusting and the Angels should be embarrassed

(Sorry Ross)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/hunterpence/status/1309927840574447617?s=19

Goodnight sweet prince

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

As long as you still worry about eybs it is truly never dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I'm just glad we avoided the posting singularity you might have achieved

if even year bullshit destroyed the dodgers I would need a quarantine thread tbh, especially since the Giants were barely trotting out MLB-caliber pitching most of the year.