Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

It makes no sense for that to be intentional contextually but Chapman's scum so gently caress him. That's it. That's all the energy I can mount.

Baseball 2020: a fraction of the fun, all of the misery

Yeah if Chapman was intentionally trying to hit him there, he's a dumb, dumb motherfucker.

Which is a perfectly valid claim.

I'm still kind of in shock about how bad Cash's reaction was in the press conference though. Admitting they were intentionally throwing at Romine's head the other year and then threatening retaliation today is a hell of a move.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aye Doc posted:

mcmagic has been here for 16 years and has never stopped posting his stupid disease-ridden brain takes. it aint gonna start now, pal

He was making OK posts for a couple weeks earlier this year! I was really pulling for him!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Big, tough guys in their jerseys coming up to me crying, tears in their eyes saying "thank you Mr Commissioner, thank you for the runner on second!" and we love that runner don't we folks?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I don't care how much an ugly American it makes me, soccer time keeping is stupid.

You have my sword. Games are 90 minutes. Plus an arbitrary amount of time we may or may not tack onto the end that we won't tell you about until we tack it on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Am I just conservative

I really don’t like team partnerships with gambling companies lol

It seems like a moral hazard for obvious reasons but also all of the ads for the DFS places are just so sleazy feeling. Especially the loving Fox Sports branded one, jfc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Kershaw isn't a true-talent 1.50 ERA pitcher in a normal season, but his highest ERA since his rookie year was 3.03. People act like he fell off a cliff when he "got bad" instead of realizing that his worst year just meant he didn't keep lowering his career ERA like he had been until that point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's the anniversary of Jim Abbott's no-hitter which is on my personal Top 5 most amazing baseball things list.

https://twitter.com/MLBVault/status/1301993941818994688

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1302073551978000385

Ace energy, I love it

For context, Maddon had someone warming up in the 4th inning and Bundy is pitching good.

I absolutely love Bundy's Tombstone-rear end facial hair this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Strelok604 posted:

Watching Yankees fans lose their mind over a team that still has a winning record and playoff position has been great fun

Give the Yankees another week and they'll have swapped spots with the O's in the standings, don't you worry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
At least a couple of the Yankees have been talking about tipping rather than signs being stolen. I dunno, everybody is garbage trash and the world is a gently caress.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Cole 2018 FB pitch value: 29.9
Cole 2019 FB pitch value: 37.1
Cole 2020 FB pitch value: -0.6

Pretty much tells the whole story right there, his FB is now getting crushed when for the last two years it has been a truly elite pitch, one of the best in the game among SP's. For some reason I can't get Brook's Baseball's filters to work properly but I wonder if it's an issue with where he's throwing in the zone. None of his velo or movement numbers look off but for some reason his FB went from being unhittable to getting annihilated.

There are a few guys who have seen their previously effective FBs getting crushed this year, it's a weird one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I, for one, am happy the Yankees seem to have remembered how to play baseball and that all of my doomsaying has proven to be untrue thus far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

mcmagic alt account spotted

this cuts me very deep, very very deep.

(mcmagic never cuts out the doom, have you learned nothing?!)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love watching Luke Voit hit dingers but tonight was especially majestic:

47 degrees! 178 foot apex! 7 second hang time!

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1306400473960853506?s=20

:swoon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

I mean, it’s absurd to me, a person who has watched every dodgers game. Defensive metrics are trash

This is me, but with the Yankees and Gio Urshela. 1 DRS in 2019? -1.1 def?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
EDIT: nevermind I can't number good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Neutral site World Series with fans in pandemic times. Brilliant.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

Maybe writers won't vote for him because he's a chu-hahaha oh man I can't even

No character clause for the seasonal awards!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tweezer Reprise posted:

if trevor bauer's ineligible for the cy young due to his dumb political takes so is like 50% of the country's population lol

I mean I think way more than 50% of the country is ineligible for the Cy Young just on merit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Either way it looks dumb and I'm not sure what advantage it gives.

It's like that dude who turned all the way around to second base during his wind up in that it's absurd and probably worked really well that one time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

more falafel please posted:

I've never really understood how collegiate summer leagues work, they're amateur, right? So you play travel ball in the summer without getting paid, with the idea that you can develop and show yourself off to scouts?

That's my understanding. I really only know of the Cape Cod league, though, which is pretty fancy and "formalized" as far as that stuff goes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

it's more the balance than anything. metal or composite bats can be weighted incredibly precisely for a more ideal feel.

it is pretty mind-blowing to me that elite college baseball still uses idiot trash non-wood bats. I don't have the first clue why they haven't switched.

I feel like one of the biggest impediments to getting people to watch college baseball is that they don't use wooden bats. It makes it look like little league.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

We'll always have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hCMKA9GBU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Isn't Brian McCann their catcher?

He retired last year, you're thinking of James McCann, no relation.

However, it is always worth remembering that Brian McCann is Mark Teixeira's stepbrother because McCann's mom married Tex's dad in 2017.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Yankees gonna win the batting title and HR crown.

Yay?

It's so weird that this is the case and yet I still feel so iffy about the team's offense going into the postseason.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"He finished by running the bases before walking out."

I respect it even though he apparently went backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Red Sox fired Ron Roenicke which IMO is bullshit considering the team they gave him to 'win' with. Without E-Rod and Sale the rotation was a bunch of guys that should have been in Pawtucket.

This isn't even including the loss of Mookie and what that did to the lineup

I mean, we all knew Roenicke was just keeping the seat warm for the Alex Cora redemption hour.