Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bregor posted:

I mean if you think billionaires slashing payroll to get avoid a tax they could easily afford while the product on the field has a .340 winning percentage with a 6 ERA is worthy of celebration, then it's not bad I guess

If the alternative is a .400 winning percentage, a barren farm system and less money to spend in future seasons then... Yes, it kinda is? Red sox wouldn't be a winning team this year with Mookie, and Verdugo is off to a great start in Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm not a fan of the expanded playoffs, but the stretch run this year will be insane. Only around 9-10 teams are realistically eliminated, and only like 3 NL teams. Jays vs Yankees for 2nd place in the East should be good, especially since 3rd in the east might not make the playoffs. AL Central is totally up for grabs, and if the Tigers keep winning, the ALC could have 4 teams get in. NL West could also send 4 teams. And yes a Giants-Dodgers matchup in the first round would rule.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I know we are one month into a joke season and the stats don't mean that much, but it's nice seeing practically every Giants hitter with a >.800 OPS. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/sf/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc. Especially because Zaidi acquired Yaz, Alex Dickerson, Wilmer Flores and Donovan Solano for basically nothing. Pay no attention to the pitching stats :v: although I've been happy with what I've seen from Logan Webb.

This team isn't a real contender but I'm feeling good about the future. Really impressed by Zaidi so far

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 3, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Strelok604 posted:

Kershaw has now reached 2,500 career Ks

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1301704130524741633

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

This season the Giants aren't using "ball dudes" to fetch foul balls down the lines, so the outfielders have to get them. Like if a hitter fouls off 5 pitches in a row, the OF has to go run and get each one and throw it out of play.

Alex Dickerson got bored with this and started chucking them at the cutouts.

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1302739972923875328?s=19

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

One cool thing about this season is how many rebuilding teams are good again. White Sox might be the best team in the AL. Padres are right there with the Dodgers in the NL. Blue Jays are a lot of fun. Marlins, Orioles, Tigers, maybe not legit contenders this year, but trending up with some cool young players.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants only scored 10 runs today, but that was good enough to win their fifth in a row. Tough series in San Diego starts tomorrow though. (Remember when teams had "off days" once in a while?)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1304108128536059905

Honestly this needed to happen weeks ago, and probably would have if not for the nostalgia factor. It was a blast having the Panda back the last couple years, but his ABs this year were miserable and I think he is done. Good career, great Giant, see you in ten years at Old Timer's Day.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Did MLB ever say how they will handle tiebreakers if some teams don't play 60 games? Like if Team A is 34-26 and Team B finishes 33-25, is it a tie and they use H2H record, etc, to decide, or does team B win due to their slightly better winning percentage?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard if the Dodgers lose to the Giants in Round 1.

Same, and it would also be pretty funny if the Mariners made the playoffs and the Astros didn't.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Fernando Tatis Jr. is going to win NL MVP at age 21 which will make him the youngest MVP ever.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Obvious dead ball, good call.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thank goodness my baseball team's game was only cancelled due to the massive, out of control wildfires that are blanketing the country with toxic smoke, and not an outbreak of the deadly global pandemic. Was worried there for a moment.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Chamale posted:

It's so obviously a move to increase playoff revenue and decrease the incentive to pay free agents. I hope the union has the balls to go on strike if they need to for a better bargaining agreement.

I don't see how expanded playoffs means teams would spend less. The big payroll clubs will still compete for the top FAs, and there would be like twice as many teams with a shot at the playoffs who would have more of an incentive to sign some guys. Seems like the larger playoff field would drive up FA spending, if anything.

This might blow your mind but Bob Nightengale is wrong about something :aaa: (Tatis is 9 for 45 this month)

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 17, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

You think Harper, Machado, Rendon (or guys who got mega-extensions like Trout, Arenado, etc) would've got less money if there were more playoff teams every year? Not being contrarian, I legit don't understand the argument.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Actually wow I keep looking at this and I didn't realize Freeman was this good this year. I've basically heard nothing about him in the MVP race: it's all been Mookie and Tatis. Is it just big market/narrative hype or something? Freeman's offensive numbers are loving insane.

For one thing, this "season" is around 7 weeks old. Things change fast. I'm not talking about Freeman in particular, but for example, Teoscar Hernandez was having an OK season, and then he went on an insane tear for I dunno, 2 weeks? And was suddenly one of the best hitters in the league. And then he missed 10 days with an injury and lost whatever chance he had at MVP probably. See also: Fernando Tatis "fading" because he had a bad week.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/1306671166359126016

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1306284270567202816

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cards' Dakota Hudson left after 2 innings with "elbow tightness". Not good

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The season is almost over :psyduck:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Whoa, I just saw that the Reds won 5 in a row and snuck into 2nd place in the Central? I had written them off this year tbqh

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Mild calf strain for Mike Yastrzemski. Could be worse as he's not hitting the IL, but will probably miss a few games at least

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Look on the bright side, I heard you guys are really good at tanking

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He burned up all his Beefy Lad powers in that derby and I will never forgive Pete Alonso for being complicit in that.

It still blows my mind that they put Vlad Jr. in the derby at all. He was hitting 249/328 /413 at the All Star break, with 8 home runs. Eight! I get that the HRD is an exhibition, but maybe let a guy have a little success in the big leagues before you put him on a stage like that.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So the NL playoff race comes down to 6 teams (Marlins, Phillies, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Giants) competing for the last 4 spots. And we might not know who's in on Sunday night, because the Cards will only have played 58 games. I thought MLB would just use winning percentage, but nope: https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-may-need-to-make-up-tigers-games If those two games matter, the Cards will have to play a doubleheader in Detroit on the off day next Monday. Would be their 12th doubleheader of the season :lol:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kumar Rocker sounds really good, but I feel like the 2021 draft will be a crapshoot since most prospects basically didn't play this year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is it me, or is the next free agent class a little underwhelming? I mean, Bauer, Realmuto, LeMahieu, Springer... good players, but no one I would absolutely break the bank for. And after those guys and a few others, there's a pretty steep dropoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dinelson Lamet left with some kind of injury. He's been San Diego's ace this year, losing him would be a huge blow to their playoff chances