Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is the new chud thing to respond to tweets about covid deaths with “ok now tell me what preexisting conditions he had”? Because even for them that’s pretty loving horrid.

The new meme going around is that 94% of SO-CALLED COVID DEATHS are from other causes, like heart failure (caused by COVID), pneumonia (caused by COVID) etc. This is because of how death certificates are written up -- the immediate cause of death (heart failure) is listed as the cause of death, although the conditions that led to the immediate cause (COVID) are also listed. In other news, 99% of people who died "falling off of buildings" were actually killed by completely separate conditions, like internal bleeding, or skull fractures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hot take: awards this year should be given out for west/central/east rather than AL/NL. we effectively have 3 leagues with 2 divisions each this year and pretending that AL/NL is the meaningful high-level distinction this year is ridiculous

edit: this would mean darvish has no chance at the cy, so never mind

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Per fangraphs:

The Astros had a 90.3% chance of winning the first game of the doubleheader going into the final inning today

They lost

The Astros had a 97.1% chance of winning the second game of the doubleheader after recording the first out of the final inning today

They lost

I have no words

I have 11

good, the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Video games are insanely difficult and expensive to make, and they don't really get easier or cheaper. Consumer demands for content increase to fill the space they're given, i.e. as soon as the hardware improves, games need to get that much bigger. Making a live game like an MMO also requires a giant, expensive, custom server environment and even after release they're never done. Good marketing budgets are in the 10s of millions, easily.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

secular woods sex posted:

A couple days ago I was thinking about Ricky Gutierrez and the 20 pitch AB he had against Bartolo Colon. Matt Wieter's just had a 19 pitch AB yesterday.

What kind of value would a hitter who could do that consistently bring to the table? The average plate appearance in 2019 was 3.93 pitches. What would happen if you had an otherwise completely league average guy in your lineup who was going to see an average of 13.93 pitches per AB? I imagine this is the sort of thing you'd need to run a bunch of simulations on because while it doesn't affect the player's outcome, it has repercussions for everyone else in the lineup and the opposing pitching.

Takuya Nakashima: https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/3/16042314/baseball-mlb-npb-ham-fighters-shohei-otani-takuya-nakashima-6a0e7d22d39f

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Pussy Boss posted:

Did MLB ever say how they will handle tiebreakers if some teams don't play 60 games? Like if Team A is 34-26 and Team B finishes 33-25, is it a tie and they use H2H record, etc, to decide, or does team B win due to their slightly better winning percentage?

They've said it's going to be winning percentage, which means for a while the Marlins had the #1 seed, having won 2/3 of their games. That's a ratio, and also a record.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Do they put the cardboard cutouts up right away or do they wait until the 3rd and remove them in the 7th?

I made fun of this all the time and then took an uber from DTLA to dodger stadium an hour before first pitch and missed the first inning. It's loving brutal getting into that park.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bird in a Blender posted:

My one game at Dodgers Stadium I walked up the hill to get there because I was staying close by. Seeing the absolute huge line of cars to make the turn to go up was a good reminder of why I walked it and didn't take a car. That place sucks to get to. Being surrounded by giant parking lots doesn't help either.

Yeah, we walked down the hill after the game and stopped at a joint in Echo Park. That part was fine, vaguely reminiscent of rambling down Clark to get to the Belmont bus but stopping at Nisei and probably L&L on the way.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

It was Baez

Yeah, but Baez is naturally lefty and batted lefty/switch as an amateur.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Good to see that Cubs legend Munenori Kawasaki is still doing good things.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shrecknet posted:

Idle thought unrelated: how do you score a swinging strike three, dropped ball and throw to first?

K, PB 2-3?

Or just K

What if the catcher just tags him in the box?

K2 ?

I wouldn't bother scoring it differently if the batter doesn't run. For a 2-3 putout or reaching on a dropped strike, I'd do these, respectively (with PB instead of WP if it's a passed ball)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If they do 16 team playoffs they need to expand the league to 32 teams. More than half the teams in the playoffs is stupid.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bartolo colon is better at hitting than I am at anything

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wouldn't it be the Gold Cleat?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Under 2020 rules you can throw a 10-inning perfect game and still lose.

Face 27 batters through 9, retire all 27. In the 10th, induce three groundouts. There, you lost.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm so happy that powder-blue road unis are back in style.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean I think way more than 50% of the country is ineligible for the Cy Young just on merit.

I would guess that at least 60% of the country hasn't pitched the required innings at the big league level this season. Hell, probably 65%.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've never really understood how collegiate summer leagues work, they're amateur, right? So you play travel ball in the summer without getting paid, with the idea that you can develop and show yourself off to scouts?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

In a turn of events... read the replies

no

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

I think that you should broaden your horizons and not be so quick to judge. Sometimes the replies are good to read to get you out of your bubble, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a homerun. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame. I don't know if I'll be putting on this headset again. Whether that be for the Reds or my bosses at FOX.

God damnit, I hate that this is always how I'll remember Big Stick Nick

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Man I really should have watched the cubs game huh

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dinosaurs! posted:

They actually have to win it all again in order to close the hellworld loop.

I mean 2003 is as good a time as any to designate as "when everything went to poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I kept score for one (1) major league regular season game this year