Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
this thread title makes me sad I missed out on getting an "A-CAB" jersey when he was a Met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
deGrom last night went 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 K and took the loss because Alonso made an error leading to 3 unearned runs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
admittedly I've hardly been paying attention this season but how the hell did I miss that the Giants have got a catcher called Chad Tromp :psyduck:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
otherwise lovely pitchers who pitched a perfect game are pretty memorable though

like we remember Dallas Braden and Phillip Humber rather than whoever else was on the A's/White Sox that year

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1302079100467765248

:mets:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the only pitchers ever to win 3 Cy Youngs are either in the HoF (Randy, Carlton, Maddux, Koufax, Pedro, Palmer, Seaver), still active players (Kershaw, Scherzer), or Roger Clemens

if deGrom retired tomorrow I don't think he'd quite make it, but either another CY or another 3-4 years of domination would get him in

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

love how Bart realises halfway through that he can do the most obvious framing move possible and still get the call

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

euphronius posted:

Assuming that is Dick Allen who was pretty good

Yep. He was a September callup in 1963 for the Phillies after hitting .289/.341/.550 for the Arkansas Travelers and the next year he won ROY as the starting 3B.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it was cool when you could tell Jim Joyce was umpiring a game without even needing to look at the screen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine having the absolute balls to complain that both "the light's wrong I can't see the signs" and "our signs are being stolen" at the same loving time

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets scored 14 runs for deGrom last night which is the same number of runs they scored for him total in his first 5 starts this season

also Dom Smith hit a grand slam on 3-0 to which Keith's reaction was "well done with the hit sign"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

So how much will deGrom's third straight Cy Young award count when it comes to his HoF case?

I think another CY for deGrom makes him a lock whether it's this year or not

every pitcher with at least 3 CYs is either already in, currently active, or Roger Clemens

and only Maddux and Randy have won 3 straight

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gonna take a wild guess that spraying liquid all around a clubhouse is a pretty good way to potentially get covid everyfuckingwhere

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SteelFusion posted:

Braves just signed...Pablo Sandoval??

he can't hit any more but maybe he can pitch

e: he has a career ERA of 0! in 2 IP

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 14, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
following up on Panda I noticed he has almost as many GIDPs (147) as he does HRs (149) and I was wondering who the best players with GIDP > HR were. mostly they're catchers and high-contact guys who played a lot of years but there are some legit great players in there too

players with 250 GIDPs and GIDP > HR

Ivan Rodriguez (337/311)
Julio Franco (312/173)
Rusty Staub (297/292)
Derek Jeter (287/260)
Ted Simmons (287/248)
Joe Torre (284/252)
George Scott (277/271)
Roberto Clemente (275/240)
Dave Concepcion (266/101)
Victor Martinez (264/246)
Ernie Lombardi (261/190) (GIDPs weren't tracked the first two years of his career)
Yadier Molina (261/159)
Tony Gwynn (259/135)
Buddy Bell (255/201)
Al Oliver (254/219)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Idle thought unrelated: how do you score a swinging strike three, dropped ball and throw to first?

K, PB 2-3?

Or just K

What if the catcher just tags him in the box?

K2 ?

it's just K 2-3, PBs (and WPs) don't get scored unless a runner reaches/advances

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the HRD doesn't do anything to your swing no matter how many lovely articles get churned out every season when one of the participants has a second-half slump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

He's into his delivery, though. If he broke his hands without entering the delivery that'd be a balk. I'm not certain on this point of the rules, though it's definitely true that there are plenty of old timey pitchers who did the same swinging the hands back after breaking and before the pitching arm goes forward.

he clearly pauses with both hands behind his back, I don't think you can class that as part of his delivery really

particularly when he (I assume) doesn't do it with every pitch