Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Waffleman_ posted:

First day superchat roundups!

Calli: $27,136.68
Kiara: $10,181.38
Ina: $16,792.50
Gura: $21,389.57
Amelia: $21,056.77

It's interesting that Calli got so much more. Probably a combination of people wanting to compensate her for her music, getting an early time slot so she got donations from people who just wanted the experience of donating to someone for the first time, and spending the stream reading messages incentivising people to donate in the false hope she would get round to reading their message.

It must be a weird feeling to make $10k in an hour then having to go work the night shift at Family Mart right after though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Waffleman_ posted:

Calli was also kinda in a good timeslot to be getting a lot of attention from both EN and JP.

Japan was only 6% of her revenue. USD was 57% despite it being in the morning US time.

Worklurker posted:

I didn't know Kiara was trilingual. German,English,Japanese.

She is Austrian but for some reason refused to speak German. She was trying to hide it at first but someone must have pointed out that it's her USP so she's using german greetings now.

CJ fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 18, 2020

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

SpartanIvy posted:

You would have to assume antis. You can't be a big enough weeb to like vtubers and then be like "uh, dubs are better"

The problem is it kills the pacing of the stream if 50% of it is just repeating what she already said. Either you understand both languages and you hear everything twice or you don't and you spend half of the time listening to her repeat herself in a language you can't understand. If you are a big enough weeb that you want to listen to Japanese then there's 30 genuine Japanese people you can go and listen to, so why would you go to the one who speaks it as a second language? The target audience of the english branch are weebs who can't speak Japanese, they should play to that strength. It will come in really useful when they are allowed to collab with the other groups though.

She already toned it down several days ago though, so it was weird that someone would send a superchat today complaining about it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Kiara is streaming SM64 now. Playing a universally loved and recognised game, not roleplaying a fast food employee and just after she broke down from superchat bullying her. I have a good feeling about this one.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like even if you want there to be that tension, you could just compromise by having like a visible radius around you that you can see enemies in and not just the whole map.

It's a jumpscare game, have a radar defeats the point.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Waffleman_ posted:

Gawr is at over 400k subs in just over a week.

How much of that is her design and how much is it her streams? Whenever i see her streaming it's always some terrible indie game that she barely knows how to play.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm curious what the $250 dollar wine will be.

You're two orders of magnitude off there.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Pikamee can't stream because she is getting terrorised by a bee.

https://twitter.com/amanopikamee/status/1308254674378653701

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This is cool.

https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/1308435126594936832

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does Coco sing more than 4 songs? Every time i open one of those English singing streams it's Backstreet Boys, Rockaby, Celine Dion or Evanescence.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

SpartanIvy posted:

Have you considered that the reason they don't talk about their past careers isn't because they don't want to but because they are contractually forbidden to do so by the corporation? You should stop thinking that you're only supposed to talk about what a corporation says you can in regards to it's products.

When a famous designer moves from one corporation to another to work on products, they don't promote their previous designs still with their competitor, and it's not because they don't want to. It's because they are contractually not allowed to because people might buy and support the designers old products, and not the new products the new company is paying the designer for.

I think the rule is they are allowed to continue doing other stuff but aren't allowed to outright say who they are. Coco still does IRL streams on her old account, and Noel still does her ASMR videos. They have both hosed in ways that confirmed it was them but they haven't been shitcanned.

I personally don't see the problem with talking about their other content when they were public figures, like Gura having a million subscriber youtube channel. I think it's only problematic when it's their personal twitter accounts or something.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Talorat posted:

It's absolutely bananas how much money they are making through SuperChats. Even assuming YouTube and Hololive each take a big cut it's still a crazy amount of cash. Honestly it annoyed me a little at first but it's definitely not the worst monetization strategy.

I would however like them to list Gura's hoodie as merch somewhere. It's absolutely ridiculous but I love it and want it.

With or without the shark fin on the back?

Speaking of merch, the logo on this top is cool.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Here is a video of a Vtuber talking about the money they make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2fGW5Lt9jw

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMEVqXqSk0

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh no, what was this video?

Someone clipped it before it got taken down. I don't know how to link reddit's lovely videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hololive/comments/iz6n7k/when_you_dont_understand_lunas_nanolish/

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

are there indie vtubers that are like "yo those hololivers? sellouts!"

There was one who is popular on Twitch called Veibae who was complaining about Hololive when EN debuted. Main problem was them owning the character so you are hosed if something happens and you leave.

Negostrike posted:

Looks like Ironmouse got a new model? I think the old one looks better but oh well

I don't like 3D models, they give off too much Second Life energy.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Fat_Cow posted:

All this China stuff, I hope it doesn't force Coco to graduate.

She made a million dollars in superchats alone.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Onean posted:

Pekora's debuting her new 3D avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkkX_YDeN2g

That's a straight downgrade. The stupid expressions her live2d makes are half the appeal. hopefully she only uses it for stuff like VR games.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's a bold strategy of Kiara to just run into a corner every round and draw it out for several minutes after everyone else is dead. Not sure how it plays for her likeability.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Where can I find a V-Tuber 101 so I can get acquainted with the blossoming industry?

What exactly do you want to know? Who is popular? The business side of it?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

How it all started, and the two things you mentioned.

I don't know of any concise summaries of that stuff, but here's a video with clips of what Hololive JP are known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwQ76DgPE8

It's a bit out of date and doesn't have gen 5, and it tries to say something positive about all of them which makes it a bit difficult to tell who is actually good.

Here's a list of their subcounts so you can compare relative popularity.

https://holo.poi.cat/youtube-channel

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What's going on with Pikamee? Did she call in the rest of VOMS as backup because she can't do a triple jump?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

I'm assuming this isn't photoshopped given how insane Taiwan news is. They've had segments about Twitch drama several times before.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This is the first time i've seen the sub change in the red.

https://holo.poi.cat/youtube-channel

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does anyone know if there's a tampermonkey script to fix YouTube's lovely vod chat replay? It doesn't load half the time, and when it does it replays all messages from the start of the video every time you track back and forth in the video. I used to just read it on the video but they've stopped doing that now because of China.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Squiddycat posted:

All because a girl from The United States of Dragon America said one word

drat

I don't think you appreciate how poo poo Taiwan news is. Here's one about a Korean Twitch streamer because someone sent in a troll text to speech donation saying congrats on getting married to the American Twitch streamer she was staying with while on holiday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7a6nUF9rvM

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Eej posted:

I really need to know the context of marine sitting down on what appears to be the RuPaul's Drag Race runway

For her 3D debut Coco danced. (start of video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a7_lq72xlk

A few weeks ago Marine tried dancing too. (start of video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZB2vmqPuU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Amelia is the best streamer. She is the best at talking on stream by far, and she is decently good at games. This is too be expected as she has the most experience streaming. She is held back by playing boring FPS games and her broken Switch, hopefully she gets a new one.

Calliope is pretty personable too. She is decent at talking on stream but is held back by having no games to stream and her lovely computer. I like her Japanese streams because she's around my level so i can understand her and relate to the Wanikani poo poo.

Kiara tries to be an English Pekora but she doesn't have the charisma or social awareness to pull it off. She is terrible at games to the point that it's painful to watch at times, and she is handicapped by the worst design by far. That said, she is pretty energetic and outgoing so if she learns how to not be so socially unaware she has high potential. I like cringey stuff so i'm putting her third.

Ina seems like a nice person but she's just kind of boring so i haven't watched much of her streams.

Gura is hard carried by her design. She is a big meme but i think she's too shy/inexperienced to perform live on streams. Maybe she can upload some meme videos, or will improve once she gets more comfortable. Currently though i think the character could have been executed better by someone with Amelia's energy.

They are only a couple weeks in though, and i think Amelia is the only one who has lots of prior streaming experience, so in a few months they could be in any order.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Aaaaaaand she's shadow banned.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Brunom1 posted:

Oi, what did a karaoke stream do to piss off Youtube?

It's because it is uncharacteristically popular. it happened to her first few streams when she was getting 40 or 50k viewers too.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Mizkif just revealed his avatar and the hand tracking is pretty decent for a home setup.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RepleteRespectfulReubenAMPEnergyCherry

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to think of a niche that isn’t already covered by Vtubers and I’m coming up blank.

Not being terrible at video games.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Main Paineframe posted:

Lots of people floating vague ideas to be a vtuber here. Maybe y'all should compare notes and write up a how-to guide.

Personally, I can wrap my head around the technical stuff and the streaming behaviors, but I can't even imagine how the heck a new indie vtuber gets the word out and markets themselves starting from zero.

Start by having a high quality design and model so it is visually appealing enough for people to want to click through thumbnails. I have no idea how much this costs, but it works for that shark girl who i see posted around even though she hasn't streamed yet.

/r/virtualyoutubers seems to be the designated shilling zone.

You have to decide between YouTube and Twitch as a streaming platform. I feel like Twitch has better discovery via the games sections, but maybe that's just because i don't watch YouTube streams much.

There are those Twitter accounts like vtubers screaming that you might be able to get clips on for exposure.

Once you have some followers try and network with the other popular english vtubers.

Of the popular English vtubers i am familiar with, Project Melody got noticed by starting on cam sites and pissing off camgirls then becoming a meme. Nyanners had a pre-existing fanbase, and Veibae was like a reverse Hololiver where she got clipped by Japanese youtubers then gained a following for having a cute voice and saying gently caress you a lot.

None of this matters if you aren't charismatic enough for people to want to watch you though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That's why most of them have <100 viewers.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lt. Lizard posted:

I more or less agree, but we are far from there yet IMHO. In fact, I would argue that we are in pretty much opposite situation right now, at least in the West. HololiveEN demonstrated pretty clearly that Westerners in general are extremely thirsty for Vtubers they can understand and directly interact with and if someone contemplates about becoming English Vtuber, there probably won't ever be a better time to debut and more opportunity to become successful than there is now.

I think the best time to debut was a month ago so you could establish a fanbase and then try and get a collab with HololiveEN when their collab embargo ends. Barring that the best time is definitely now. If you are boring though, it's still not going to work out for you. You can go on Twitch right now, and browse by the Anime tag to find a dozen EN Vtubers with ~100-200 viewers. Outside of Hololive the top tier is ~1000-2000 viewers, which is enough to make a decent living from my understanding.

This channel highlights some of the more popular EN vtubers if you want someone to watch: https://www.youtube.com/c/ENVTuberShowcase/videos

I was just throwing out ideas of how to try and get eyes on you as an independent vtuber. Hololive is not comparable to the rest of them. As an example, Amelia was one of those 100-200 viewer vtubers before moving to Hololive and immediately getting 20k viewers per stream. (it's against thread rules to say who their old accounts are, but i watched her a few times a couple of months ago and checking analytics sites she was still at that number when she switched to Hololive)

If you want to get hired by Hololive for the easy meal ticket, i would guess your best bet is to stream yourself playing games while interacting well with chat and be able to sing well. Those seem to be the two things that they value.

If you're a guy, i think your best shot is to aim for the Fujoshi audience. Sykkuno is a good reference point. He recently reinvented himself as a living anime character and blew up with a mostly female audience.

sockpuppetclock posted:

It's the other way around for me. there are a lot of vtubers i wouldnt have noticed if they were irl streamers

You noticed them, but what made you continue watching them? You get most of what you're going to get out of the avatar after watching for 2 minutes. After that you need the personality to back it up to keep the viewer watching.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lyer posted:

I don't know if it's just the youtube algorithm at work, but I almost never see Flare clips. Is she just not that popular with translators or something?

She has 300k subs. Next lowest in gen 3 is Noel with 540k.

CJ fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 3, 2020

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I found this video of someone rigging/animating a live2D model. It's interesting how it works, and he does a pretty good job of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd2ZArBalcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUmZfPZnFg

The artist has videos of her drawing another Vtuber on her channel as well, so combined you can see the full process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dyNdzE8BnI

CJ fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 3, 2020

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Somebody collab with Pikamee she's crying.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can they not fix the rigging on her 3D model so that her arms don't clip through her jacket 100% of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How do you enable chat for vods? Youtube has changed things round again and i can't find it.